• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ratings v Lazio

First game, first clean sheet, deserves an 8. Cant say more than that.

i'm really trying to work my way into a much less defensive persona , much like when i used to enjoy it here. so rather than coming out with a whole load of stuff on here i would ask you to consider NOT doing the rest of your football team that you support an injustice (EDIT:- i put this here becuase it seems you are more concerned about lloris than everyone else) and try and appreciate the team aspect of what happened yesterday. everyone contributed to the clean sheet last night..not least of all sandro and Vertonghen...both of whom i really do feel deserve a 7 plus.....and NOT necessarily the guy who just happened to be in goals when 10 other people worked hard enough to stop clear cut chances and pressure periods developing which WOULD have resulted in our goalie having to actually REALLY work for an 8.

He didnt fluff his lines, infact he did look pretty assured but he didnt put an oscar nominee performance either. it would be nice if you gave a little bit of respect to his team mates rather than making out that his prescence brought about the clean sheet

you are a stone's throw away from having people ppoint fingers at him if we EVER conceed based on the way you put forward this whole point of him playing , and us keeping our clean sheet.

Last edited:
Lloris 6

Naughton 6
Vertonghen 7
Caulker 7
Walker 6

Sandro 7
Dembele 7

Bale 6
Dempsey 6
Lennon 7

Defoe 6

Sigurdsson 6
Townsend 7

AVB 7

No - I would have given him a 7 because he already has almost 50 appearances for the club and it wasn't his debut

Right, so if that was Friedel's debut you would have given him an 8? I was at the game so maybe I've missed something but I barely recall him having to do anything at all. I'm aware that he's a top class keeper, and he does use the ball well which I like. Just a bit mythed how someone who had next to nothing to do all game other than a couple of crosses to catch and to watch the ball hit our crossbar gets such a score.....

Yes, if it was Brad debut and he did exactly what Lloris did - I would have given him an 8

He looked solid in the catches he did do, commanded his box well, and came out of his fukcing goal-line for crosses. Some very neat passes to add, etc.

The "fans" on the facebook page really annoy me, they have put up a poll for man of the match against Lazio and Lloris is winning by a fair bit (1401 votes to be precise).

find it staggering how some people here appeared to have watched a different game, especially re: Lennon

Lloris 7

Naughton 6
Vertonghen 7
Caulker 8
Walker 6

Sandro 8
Dembele 8

Bale 7
Dempsey 7
Lennon 8.5 MOM

Defoe 6

Sigurdsson 4
Townsend 6

Last edited:
Am i the only one who wouldnt give Sandro any more than a 7 for teh Lazio game ? His distribution was very poor and he gave the ball away or put players into trouble on several occassions. Whilst that's not the key part of his game, he was shown up in possession by our CBs being so natural on the ball. I like Sandro but just think that he needs to realise his limitations on the ball and give the simple ball. Will be interesting to see what happens when parker is fit again

Lloris - 7 - Wasn't really tested, but very nice to see a goalie with a commanding aerial presence.

Walker - 7 - Thought he did ok apart from his usual sloppy passes, which didn't pose a threat though. Had 2 Corluka'esque passes setting up Lennon in the first half.
Caulker - 7 - Composed in most aspects of his play. Considering the wrestle he was given a few minutes before his goal, I thought he was robbed of his first Spurs goal. Definately increased his chance of more first team opportunities.
Verthonghen - 8 - Oozes class. Didn't think he put a foot wrong and looks so comfortable in the build up play.
Naughton - 7 - Not his fault he's played out of his favorite position, but think he did allright.

Sandro - 7 - Defensivley very good, but I think his passing sometimes lets him down a bit.
Dembele - 7 - The only true flair player in the team atm and as a unusual bonus he's also very good at robbing the ball from the opposition. Sometimes it looks as though it is too easy for him, which causes him to make a few silly errors.
Lennon - 7 - A mixed bag. He made some very nice runs, but he really needs to make more out of the situations and finish off some of the chances. Should've score IMO.
Bale - 7 - Decent game, but nowhere near his top level from the previous two seasons. With a right footed player at left back, it's only natural that he wont receive as many balls from Naughton though.
Dempsey - 6 - Unlucky to be a few inches offside for his goal, but otherwise wasn't as involved especially in the second half, as I would've hoped. Didn't think he supported Defoe enough, but of course that might have been instructed by AVB.

Defoe - 6,5 - Worked hard, but lacked service. Think he struggles when playing against teams that plays with a deep defensive line, which leaves him no space to use his pace.

AVB - 8 - Considering the injuries, I think he put out the right formation and lineup. All in all I think the last two games has been a massive improvement from the home games against West Brom and Norwich.

Lloris - 7 - Solid debut, rarely troubled and only beaten by a stunning strike which hit the underside of the bar. Looked confident collecting corners/crosses on the rare occasions he was asked and distribution overall was tidy but nothing more.

Walker - 6 - nothing spectacular as he seemed to hold back to allow Lennon to attack but left exposed a few times when he did venture forwards. I'd say slightly below par from what we've come to expect certainly.

Caulker - 8 - Tek a boo son! Very pleasing defensive performance when our stall was set out and the times when we were caught on the break he recovered very well from mistakes made by others. Fine goal wrongly disallowed, climbing? 6 of one half a dozen of the other if you ask me - it was made to look like climbing because the Lazio player didn't let go if his arm.

Vertonghen - 8 - Another quietly assured performance. Looks the real deal, wish he'd taken the free kicks! Distribution improving with every match.

Naughton - 7 - cant ask for much more from a lad playing on his opposite flank. Looks to have gained confidence from his spell at Norwich. Was rated higher than Walker at United and is going to get the games to build his reputation further. I was wrong to think he needed another season or half of one on loan and glad to see him taking his chance.

Sandro - 8 - if he'd done for us what he did for Brazil, then tat header would've been back of the net and he'd have a 9....even though the ref would've probably disallowed it. Tidied up after a lot of Dembele's mistakes and seems to have an extremely good understanding positionally of where to be to collect the ball if Dembele is tackled. Looks like he's enjoying his football at the moment and doing a sound job for us.

Dembele - 6 - torn between this or a seven but decided that all in all this wasn't his best game. Our best work came from the wings and his runs didn't really come to much. Still showed some moments of great understanding with Sandro. More to come.

Dempsey - 5 - largely anonymous debut. Good goal should've stood and would've taken his mark up. I'm no football manager though as I was tinkled and he may have been making runs which gave other players space. All in all, the centre of the pitch was packed and this is why he nd Dembele were largely restricted.

Lennon - 8 - what a debut as captain! Did everything a captain should do to inspire his team mates....oh yeah, apart from shoot!! Trickery had Lazio players chasing shadows at times. Proper little wing wizard but REALLY should've scored... Most decent attacks came through him, in fact most of our play did. Didn't shy from responsibility as I was afraid he might.

Bale - 7 - kicked all over the place as was Lennon, 2 assists but made his move too early and rightly given offside. Often had 2 men on him and couldn't think of the next trick when he beat the first and ran into the second. Not his best game and maybe by his standards he should only have a 6 but still he made sure their players knew they'd been in a match.

Defoe - 6 - Crowded out in the centre but made some good runs and scored a good goal. Still not been offside yet!! Looked decent whenever he got the ball but this wasn't often enough and he didn't have the support he needed from Dempsey. Maybe 6 is generous but he can only do what he's allowed to

The "fans" on the facebook page really annoy me, they have put up a poll for man of the match against Lazio and Lloris is winning by a fair bit (1401 votes to be precise).

Football fans excited about new signing making his debut and wanting to show their support... Just shocking.

Yes, if it was Brad debut and he did exactly what Lloris did - I would have given him an 8

He looked solid in the catches he did do, commanded his box well, and came out of his fukcing goal-line for crosses. Some very neat passes to add, etc.

Fair enough mate, I know he's class just don't think he did enough to warrant any score out of the ordinary but no big deal.

I do like the way the ball was hardly in the air at all, from the back all the way to the forwards and Lloris helps in this area with his distribution although I think Friedel was adapting to this aswell.....

Right, so if that was Friedel's debut you would have given him an 8? I was at the game so maybe I've missed something but I barely recall him having to do anything at all. I'm aware that he's a top class keeper, and he does use the ball well which I like. Just a bit mythed how someone who had next to nothing to do all game other than a couple of crosses to catch and to watch the ball hit our crossbar gets such a score.....

Strange logic to rate players differently based on circumstances. I always thought rating a player in a match ratings thread was about rating their actual performance! Always bugs me when people rate "kids" higher than they deserve too because they are young. A match rating performance should be a cold light of day thing.

Some of the Lloris love has to be understood though even if people feel he wasn't an 8. It's exciting, we've signed a top notch keeper who is young.

I thought he was very vocal too last-night which was impressive.

Would I drop Friedel for him? Hmm, does seem harsh even if he is a better keeper at this current time.

My MOM was Dembele, i thought Jan, Lennon and Naughton were also very good. My only concern was Bale, he really is looking a shadow of the player we know he is and has done so all season for me.

Even though we drew our performance in this game was only slightly lower than from the Reading victory. Notably Naughton was the most improved player and Defoe went from MOTM to worst player.

FgILX.jpg

Back