• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Proud and Prejudiced

elltrev

Andy Sinton
Anyone see this on Channel 4?

I thought the EDL guy came across better than his Muslim counterpart initially, but towards the end of the program I thought he looked like a massive dingdong. I thought the Muslim guy looked a bit of a nob the whole way though; he didn't seem to make many coherent or intelligent points about anything.

I thought the Muslim leader of the mosque that spoke a couple of times came across well; I wish the media gave more print and time to these kinds of Muslim leaders, instead of always focusing on their more extreme counterparts.

More than anything I found the constant rage and anger of both sides depressing (why is it, as it seems to me (at the risk of coming across as condescending and pompous), that anger always seems to correlate with a lack of intelligence?) It seems impossible to have a rational debate about the 'clash' between Islam and 'The West'... anger and aggression is generally so counterproductive, I wish humans were more like Vulcans sometimes....

Saw it from about half way, was a very sad indictment of the times we are living in.

IMO exactly the outcome wanted by the planners of 9/11 & 7/7.

There is a 'clash' between the West and Islam (two ridiculously homogeneous terms that don't give justice to the very heterogeneous nature of their populations, or the increasingly blurred lines between the two) mostly because of the utter retards on both sides like we witnessed yesterday. The funniest thing is that they're both sides of the same coin. They're basically the same person. Except one is Muslim. And one is 'British'.

Found it quite telling that Sayful idiot wasn't even a practicing Muslim. I did chuckle when Robinson was giving it the big one at the end at having gotten away from the police on a bus in Tower Hamlets, only to then brick himself when they called him 15 minutes later. I also chucked when I saw that the Muslim one had stopped going to rallies when a few of his mates had been arrested. Both cowards.

You make a very good point about the leader of the Mosque. There was a period a year or two ago when the British media gave unrivaled airtime to that Choudry guy. He was brought on as the 'Muslim' representative of Britain, of a population approximately 2-3 million strong. When his brick group commanded the support of a a few hundred. Why did they want to present him as the face of British Islam? Why did they give him so much airtime? I have my own theories but that isn't what this thread is about so...

Looking forwards to the Bradford one on Thursday.

Saw it from about half way, was a very sad indictment of the times we are living in.

IMO exactly the outcome wanted by the planners of 9/11 & 7/7.

We have reacted exactly the way that the likes of Bin Laden wanted us to. Set the two sides on a collision course and we've fallen into his trap.

I watched it and i thought they were all ****s, like pretty much most people on t.v. i really do not know why i bother with a t.v. the wife and the kid like it but apart from sport the is pretty much nothing on i like.

Was a really good show on bbc 2 the other day about wild flower meadows being planted in city centres i enjoyed that.

I watched it and i thought they were all ****s, like pretty much most people on t.v. i really do not know why i bother with a t.v. the wife and the kid like it but apart from sport the is pretty much nothing on i like.

Was a really good show on bbc 2 the other day about wild flower meadows being planted in city centres i enjoyed that.

:ross:

Chich, your posts in random are quality. Please don't stop.

There is a 'clash' between the West and Islam (two ridiculously homogeneous terms that don't give justice to the very heterogeneous nature of their populations, or the increasingly blurred lines between the two) mostly because of the utter retards on both sides like we witnessed yesterday. The funniest thing is that they're both sides of the same coin. They're basically the same person. Except one is Muslim. And one is 'British'.

Found it quite telling that Sayful idiot wasn't even a practicing Muslim. I did chuckle when Robinson was giving it the big one at the end at having gotten away from the police on a bus in Tower Hamlets, only to then brick himself when they called him 15 minutes later. I also chucked when I saw that the Muslim one had stopped going to rallies when a few of his mates had been arrested. Both cowards.

You make a very good point about the leader of the Mosque. There was a period a year or two ago when the British media gave unrivaled airtime to that Choudry guy. He was brought on as the 'Muslim' representative of Britain, of a population approximately 2-3 million strong. When his brick group commanded the support of a a few hundred. Why did they want to present him as the face of British Islam? Why did they give him so much airtime? I have my own theories but that isn't what this thread is about so...

Looking forwards to the Bradford one on Thursday.

Of course I recognise and agree with your point about the terms 'Islam' and 'The West'; I use them for the sake of convenience, assuming that people know that I'm only referring to the subsections of each that are clashing.

At least Choudry came across as relatively intelligent and articulate, unlike the clown on Proud and Prejudiced. Still, I genuinely think it would be a great idea to have a televised debate between a handful of leaders of more extremist Islamic organisations on the one side, and a handful of more moderate Islamic leaders / scholars on the other.

Yeah I know mate, that wasn't directed at you but at those sections of the media and general population that do use them as homogeneous terms.

That would be an excellent idea imo.

I haven't actually seen the program.

We have reacted exactly the way that the likes of Bin Laden wanted us to. Set the two sides on a collision course and we've fallen into his trap.

This seems to be a popular belief, but in my opinion this is giving Bin Laden way too much credit. I don't doubt that this was what he wanted, but he in no way set the two sides on a collision course or make some kind of trap. He may have thrown some gas on the fire, that's it.

Two civilizations, one based on democracy and free speech, one on theocratic fascism with an assumption of a GHod given mandate to take over the world will always be on a collision course. Peace is only possible if the democratic side is both willing to let the other side oppress large portions of their own populations thru violence and terror while also making continuous concessions of their own to temporarily appease the other side while slowly, but surely giving away the very foundations of their democracy and way of life.

Weren't the two civilizations on a collision course when NATO and the west stopped Hussain from conquering Kuwait (not his first attempt at expanding his country thru military force)? Weren't the two civilizations on a collision course when the UK and the US protected Salman Rushdie from the fatwa?

Aren't those of us who live in free, democratized, open countries at least to some degree on a collision course with those cultures that violently oppress their women, don't allow freedom of speech or religion almost by default?

Just to be clear, it goes almost without saying that a peaceful solution is the best outcome. But you can't simply blame the west every time something happens just because some terrorists wanted that to happen, no more than you can blame the UK for WW2 just because the UK decided to stand for their principles and decide to declare war on Germany should they invade Poland.

Of course I recognise and agree with your point about the terms 'Islam' and 'The West'; I use them for the sake of convenience, assuming that people know that I'm only referring to the subsections of each that are clashing.

At least Choudry came across as relatively intelligent and articulate, unlike the clown on Proud and Prejudiced. Still, I genuinely think it would be a great idea to have a televised debate between a handful of leaders of more extremist Islamic organisations on the one side, and a handful of more moderate Islamic leaders / scholars on the other.

That would be very good. I would think Islamic moderates would like that as well. Clear messages from the moderate Islamic populations of western countries and from moderate Islamic countries have been sorely missed much too often.

I haven't actually seen the program.

This seems to be a popular belief, but in my opinion this is giving Bin Laden way too much credit. I don't doubt that this was what he wanted, but he in no way set the two sides on a collision course or make some kind of trap. He may have thrown some gas on the fire, that's it.

Two civilizations, one based on democracy and free speech, one on theocratic fascism with an assumption of a GHod given mandate to take over the world will always be on a collision course. Peace is only possible if the democratic side is both willing to let the other side oppress large portions of their own populations thru violence and terror while also making continuous concessions of their own to temporarily appease the other side while slowly, but surely giving away the very foundations of their democracy and way of life.

Weren't the two civilizations on a collision course when NATO and the west stopped Hussain from conquering Kuwait (not his first attempt at expanding his country thru military force)? Weren't the two civilizations on a collision course when the UK and the US protected Salman Rushdie from the fatwa?

Aren't those of us who live in free, democratized, open countries at least to some degree on a collision course with those cultures that violently oppress their women, don't allow freedom of speech or religion almost by default?

Just to be clear, it goes almost without saying that a peaceful solution is the best outcome. But you can't simply blame the west every time something happens just because some terrorists wanted that to happen, no more than you can blame the UK for WW2 just because the UK decided to stand for their principles and decide to declare war on Germany should they invade Poland.

So then how is it giving him too much credit if that was in fact what he wanted....?

What a ridiculously black and white and factually incorrect way of seeing things. Is that so? So what was the intention of the West when they overthrew the democratically elected leader of Iran in 53, helping to set the seeds for the Islamic revolution a few decades later? The ironic thing is and this is something that people don't seem to understand, is that oppressing large portions of the population has the exact opposite effect. Mubarak's thirsty years of violent oppression of his population, their denigration and dehumanisation (all fully supported by you I'm sure, the Muslims do need to be ruled by dictators after all), led to the movement towards the Brotherhood and the Salafis.

I'd go and check the history books again there. The West intervening to stop one dictator overpowering another is not the clash of civilizations, especially when the aggressor is a secular Arab nationalist and the country he is invading is another Islamic country. And especially not when the country providing the second largest number of troops was probably the most extreme Sunni state on the planet. And with Egypt, Syria, Pakistan, UAE, Oman, Qatar and Bangladesh all contributing to the operation.

How is it almost by default?

The UK didn't fight for principles, it fought because it needed to fight before Germany became too powerful, an unacceptable state of affairs for a country right on our doorstep and with the ability to strike right at the very heart of the Empire.

And I'm not blaming the West for anything. Especially at the time, with emotions running as they were, you can have few qualms about the Afghan invasion. There were a whole bunch of other countries that got involved in that one too.

So then how is it giving him too much credit if that was in fact what he wanted....?

What a ridiculously black and white and factually incorrect way of seeing things. Is that so? So what was the intention of the West when they overthrew the democratically elected leader of Iran in 53, helping to set the seeds for the Islamic revolution a few decades later? The ironic thing is and this is something that people don't seem to understand, is that oppressing large portions of the population has the exact opposite effect. Mubarak's thirsty years of violent oppression of his population, their denigration and dehumanisation (all fully supported by you I'm sure, the Muslims do need to be ruled by dictators after all), led to the movement towards the Brotherhood and the Salafis.

I'd go and check the history books again there. The West intervening to stop one dictator overpowering another is not the clash of civilizations, especially when the aggressor is a secular Arab nationalist and the country he is invading is another Islamic country. And especially not when the country providing the second largest number of troops was probably the most extreme Sunni state on the planet. And with Egypt, Syria, Pakistan, UAE, Oman, Qatar and Bangladesh all contributing to the operation.

How is it almost by default?

The UK didn't fight for principles, it fought because it needed to fight before Germany became too powerful, an unacceptable state of affairs for a country right on our doorstep and with the ability to strike right at the very heart of the Empire.

It is giving him too much credit because even though he probably wanted that he didn't cause it in my opinion. Like I said, he probably threw a bit of gasoline on the fire, but the collision course was already there. Giving him credit for creating a situation he didn't create is giving him too much credit.

I'm going to assume that your comment about me believing that Muslims need to be ruled by dictators is either a misinterpretation by me or some kind of joke from you. If you're getting the impression from me that I'm of the opinion that any human being should be ruled by a dictator I probably need to make myself understood more clearly. I haven't said that the west is without blame, what country can ever say to be? Several interventions by western countries, primarily by the US in the decades after WW2 were wrong. I don't really see the relevance with the current conflicts. There may have been times in world history where a country overthrowing a democratically elected leader in a different country, but those sure must be far apart and I'm not going to defend any such action at the moment at least.

Am I wrong when I think that although Saudi Arabia were an important part of the coalition force that intervened in Kuwait, they were opponents of actually overthrowing Hussain at that time and trying to give Iraq a democracy?

Almost by default as I don't quite see how free enlightened people in free open countries can sit by and condoningly accept that much more than 50% of the population of other countries is being oppressed. And while the leaders of those countries are of the opinion that it is their GHod given right to colonize the world by force there is to me a problem at hand, a collision course. Not to say that a collision can't be avoided of course.

The UK and the allies at the very least fought to preserve the principles of freedom and democracy in their own countries. As part of that they also fought in other countries to keep their main enemy from becoming too strong. And the west might again need to fight before other fascists become too powerful. There are powers theocratic fascists can't be allowed to have. Nuclear weapons for example. Harboring international terrorists probably is another no-go. Weapons of mass destruction.

Attacking Iranian nuclear facilities with missiles and computer viruses for example. A clear act of aggression, one I would guess Iranian leaders would want to respond to if they had any chance of actually winning an all out war. This seems to me like a clash of cultures, only stopped from being a war by how one-sided a conflict would be. But a clash none the less. A clash I don't give much, if any, credit to Bin Laden for creating.

This isn't limited to Islamic countries at all and despite my rather negative feelings towards religion this to me isn't a religious thing. It's a problem with fascists, dictators, emperors or whatever you want to call them, although many of them tend to have some religion on their side. North Korea for example is another example. The problem there is that their military force and strategic position is already such that any intervention is likely to become an absolute bloodbath.

And I'm not blaming the West for anything. Especially at the time, with emotions running as they were, you can have few qualms about the Afghan invasion. There were a whole bunch of other countries that got involved in that one too.

I agree and I would defend the Afghan invasion to quite some extent even with the outcome not looking good at the moment. After 9/11 it would have been very difficult to accept the continued control of Afghanistan by the Taliban and although the situation is now a very difficult one I don't really see any reason to think that it would have been much better without an invasion.

It is giving him too much credit because even though he probably wanted that he didn't cause it in my opinion. Like I said, he probably threw a bit of gasoline on the fire, but the collision course was already there. Giving him credit for creating a situation he didn't create is giving him too much credit.

I'm going to assume that your comment about me believing that Muslims need to be ruled by dictators is either a misinterpretation by me or some kind of joke from you. If you're getting the impression from me that I'm of the opinion that any human being should be ruled by a dictator I probably need to make myself understood more clearly. I haven't said that the west is without blame, what country can ever say to be? Several interventions by western countries, primarily by the US in the decades after WW2 were wrong. I don't really see the relevance with the current conflicts. There may have been times in world history where a country overthrowing a democratically elected leader in a different country, but those sure must be far apart and I'm not going to defend any such action at the moment at least.

Am I wrong when I think that although Saudi Arabia were an important part of the coalition force that intervened in Kuwait, they were opponents of actually overthrowing Hussain at that time and trying to give Iraq a democracy?

Almost by default as I don't quite see how free enlightened people in free open countries can sit by and condoningly accept that much more than 50% of the population of other countries is being oppressed. And while the leaders of those countries are of the opinion that it is their GHod given right to colonize the world by force there is to me a problem at hand, a collision course. Not to say that a collision can't be avoided of course.

The UK and the allies at the very least fought to preserve the principles of freedom and democracy in their own countries. As part of that they also fought in other countries to keep their main enemy from becoming too strong. And the west might again need to fight before other fascists become too powerful. There are powers theocratic fascists can't be allowed to have. Nuclear weapons for example. Harboring international terrorists probably is another no-go. Weapons of mass destruction.

Attacking Iranian nuclear facilities with missiles and computer viruses for example. A clear act of aggression, one I would guess Iranian leaders would want to respond to if they had any chance of actually winning an all out war. This seems to me like a clash of cultures, only stopped from being a war by how one-sided a conflict would be. But a clash none the less. A clash I don't give much, if any, credit to Bin Laden for creating.

This isn't limited to Islamic countries at all and despite my rather negative feelings towards religion this to me isn't a religious thing. It's a problem with fascists, dictators, emperors or whatever you want to call them, although many of them tend to have some religion on their side. North Korea for example is another example. The problem there is that their military force and strategic position is already such that any intervention is likely to become an absolute bloodbath.

He caused the US to invade Afghanistan. He was used as a justification for the Iraq War. He is used as a justification for Guantanamo Bay. He is used as a justification for drone strikes in Pakistan and elsewhere. I would say he's done a fair bit more than act as the 'gasoline' there.

Peace is only possible if the democratic side is both willing to let the other side oppress large portions of their own populations thru violence and terror while also making continuous concessions of their own to temporarily appease the other side while slowly, but surely giving away the very foundations of their democracy and way of life

What part of this am I misunderstanding here sorry? In fact, looking at it again, it almost reads like you're saying unless we want to lose democracy and our way of life, conflict and violence is the only solution? And that even repression and violence against the Muslim population of the world isn't enough to prevent the slide into dictatorship in the West? I'm sure I've misinterpreted though, I'd quite like your clarification on this.

I can assure you that events 26 years apart are not separate. The imposition of the Shah had a big effect on the 79 revolution. And 30 years of Mubarak have been a huge contributor of the movement of the population towards the Brothers and Salafis. To look at instances like this in isolation is to be ignorant of Middle Eastern politics.

You can't impose democracy through imported violence. I was against us charging in there and taking Saddam out. It isn't our job to change regimes. I find it surprising that you say this almost as if its a bad thing Saudi was against it, having just witnessed the last 9 years in Iraq following our destruction of that country. And the poor democracy we're leaving behind. Whatever Saudi's policy, I see absolutely no relevance whatsoever to this apparent clash between Islam and the West. So the West (and just about everyone else) intervene on the more Islamic side when the Secular Arab Nationalist invades his Islamic neighbour and then some of the Islamic countries in the coalition (wtf, I thought we were in a clash?) don't want the secular Arab nationalist overthrown. I'm confused as to exactly where this fits in to the West and Islam facing off in an ultimate showdown.

Women are oppressed everywhere in the world. Its not a problem isolated to the Islamic world. We've had something approaching a full democracy in this country for almost 100 years now and yet only 22% of our MPs are female and we've only seen fit to entrust one woman with the running of the country. The 'leader of the free world', 44 presidents in, still hasn't even gotten to that stage yet. And won't in the next election. That isn't their opinion at all. I don't think I've ever met a Muslim, regardless of how extreme their views are, who believe it is their 'GHod given right' to colonise the world.

Mate, this wasn't some good vs evil fight. It wasn't a war fought to protect democracy or freedom. It wasn't a war fought to protect Poland or USSR. It wasn't a war fought to help the Jews, or the Gypsies, or the disabled or any of the other groups Hitler killed in the holocaust. It was a war fought to protect our own national interests. To start a war before Hitler and the Nazis became unbeatable.

Well then, you'd be wrong. How is it a clash of cultures? Nuclear weapons are haram under Islamic rules, forbidden. And Iran doesn't speak for the 1.5 billion Islamic 'civilization'. They're protecting their national interests. And the US are protecting their power and hegemony in the region. Its got nothing to do with the West vs. Islam, nor does it have anything to do with Bin Laden. I didn't say that every conflict between a Western state and Islamic one is due to Bin Laden did I? You seem to buy quite deeply into this theory that the West and Islam are fundamentally at odds (fan of Huntingdon?) so how do you see things like the two world wars? Fleeting civil wars in Western civilization before turning attention back to Islam?

He caused the US to invade Afghanistan. He was used as a justification for the Iraq War. He is used as a justification for Guantanamo Bay. He is used as a justification for drone strikes in Pakistan and elsewhere. I would say he's done a fair bit more than act as the 'gasoline' there.

I suppose this depends slightly on if you believe in a "great men" or a "social developments" theory of history. Taliban controlled Afghanistan and Hussein controlled Iraq were wars waiting to happen from where I view history. Bin Laden probably made that war happen sooner, but it was most likely going to happen either way. Like I already said, the Taliban, terrorist regime in Afghanistan wasn't something the international community could accept for long. And Iraq, well, in my opinion Hussein should have been long gone back in '91, I'll explain in a bit.

What part of this am I misunderstanding here sorry? In fact, looking at it again, it almost reads like you're saying unless we want to lose democracy and our way of life, conflict and violence is the only solution? And that even repression and violence against the Muslim population of the world isn't enough to prevent the slide into dictatorship in the West? I'm sure I've misinterpreted though, I'd quite like your clarification on this.

I can assure you that events 26 years apart are not separate. The imposition of the Shah had a big effect on the 79 revolution. And 30 years of Mubarak have been a huge contributor of the movement of the population towards the Brothers and Salafis. To look at instances like this in isolation is to be ignorant of Middle Eastern politics.

Sure, I could have been clearer. The two cultures are on a collision course. War can be avoided, but the only way the west can control if there is a war or not is if we concede. If, as I think we should, stand by our democratic and freedom of speech principles there may or may not be wars. That will be largely up to the other side, and of course the revolutionary movements of people living in those countries. With the history of theocratic fascists around the world and their "average surrender without a fight rate" I'm not too optimistic that world peace is around the corner. Hope that was clearer, if not I'll try again :)

Events in history are obviously not separate. And many of the problems the world currently face have been caused by the ones that are now looking to "save the day". However, those actions were again results of previous actions and no country is blameless. However, while what caused the current situation is interesting and something to learn from, who is to blame is largely irrelevant on how to actually solve the situation. Hitler's rise to power in Germany might not have been possible if not for the very harsh terms of the treaty of Versaille after WW1, at least some blame can most likely be put on the victors of WW1. However, when 1939 (or even 1930) came around that was largely irrelevant. The only really relevant thing was how to get out of a sticky situation.

You can't impose democracy through imported violence. I was against us charging in there and taking Saddam out. It isn't our job to change regimes. I find it surprising that you say this almost as if its a bad thing Saudi was against it, having just witnessed the last 9 years in Iraq following our destruction of that country. And the poor democracy we're leaving behind. Whatever Saudi's policy, I see absolutely no relevance whatsoever to this apparent clash between Islam and the West. So the West (and just about everyone else) intervene on the more Islamic side when the Secular Arab Nationalist invades his Islamic neighbour and then some of the Islamic countries in the coalition (wtf, I thought we were in a clash?) don't want the secular Arab nationalist overthrown. I'm confused as to exactly where this fits in to the West and Islam facing off in an ultimate showdown.
You can import democracy after a war at the very least. And seeing as war is violence, well. (West) Germany, Italy and Japan were all transformed from fascist/military controlled states into democracies after WW2 and have since been doing fairly well. In one of the ironies of history several European countries got their first democratic laws from none other than Napoleon Bonaparte after his invasions, despite him being quite the emperor himself. The violence following the French revolution is well known and there are good arguments that the US revolution would have failed if not for the military help from France. The Soviet Union did fall after "just" losing the cold war (rather optimistically named if you ask people from Vietnam), but I don't think their fall would have been anywhere near as rapid as the 70 years it took had it not been for the external enemy presented by NATO.

Of course none of those situations are entirely analogous to the situations in Iraq, Afghanistan or even Libya. But there are many examples of democracy following conflict, rather than being a result of peaceful transition.

Saddam should have gone in '91. I don't think it's even a close call. He had initiated the Iraq-Iran war that I have seen caused an estimated 1 million deaths. He had of course initiated the Kuwait war. He had gathered and used weapons of mass destruction both on Iranians during the war and on people within his own country! In fact the fear that he might again use weapons of mass destruction on people in his own country resulted in the no-fly zones over Iraq that lasted from '91 until the '03 invasion.

There are 4 internationally accepted reasons why a country may lose it's sovereignty.

1. Invading a neighboring country

2. Violating the Genocide Convention

3. Harboring terrorists

4. Violating the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty

Any one of these is enough that a country might lose it's sovereignty, that Hussein had violated at least two of these already in '91 is pretty much undisputed. Not going after him at that time was a mistake.

As for the relevance. It's just one of the examples of a clash between a theocratic dictator and "the west". Like I already said, I have no specific problems with Islam on this issue and take as much (or more) issue with North Korea as any Islamic state, although the discussion here has been mainly about the problem with the differing viewpoints of Islamic dictatorships and the west.

Women are oppressed everywhere in the world. Its not a problem isolated to the Islamic world. We've had something approaching a full democracy in this country for almost 100 years now and yet only 22% of our MPs are female and we've only seen fit to entrust one woman with the running of the country. The 'leader of the free world', 44 presidents in, still hasn't even gotten to that stage yet. And won't in the next election. That isn't their opinion at all. I don't think I've ever met a Muslim, regardless of how extreme their views are, who believe it is their 'GHod given right' to colonise the world.

Mate, this wasn't some good vs evil fight. It wasn't a war fought to protect democracy or freedom. It wasn't a war fought to protect Poland or USSR. It wasn't a war fought to help the Jews, or the Gypsies, or the disabled or any of the other groups Hitler killed in the holocaust. It was a war fought to protect our own national interests. To start a war before Hitler and the Nazis became unbeatable.

Well then, you'd be wrong. How is it a clash of cultures? Nuclear weapons are haram under Islamic rules, forbidden. And Iran doesn't speak for the 1.5 billion Islamic 'civilization'. They're protecting their national interests. And the US are protecting their power and hegemony in the region. Its got nothing to do with the West vs. Islam, nor does it have anything to do with Bin Laden. I didn't say that every conflict between a Western state and Islamic one is due to Bin Laden did I? You seem to buy quite deeply into this theory that the West and Islam are fundamentally at odds (fan of Huntingdon?) so how do you see things like the two world wars? Fleeting civil wars in Western civilization before turning attention back to Islam?

[/QUOTE]

The fact that we haven't completed our move towards equality between the genders doesn't mean that I can't say quite bombastically that we have gotten way further than most (or any) Islamic country and that the lack of rights women have in many Islamic countries is a pretty definitive reason for me to able to say that right now our society is better than theirs.

You don't think WW2 was a fight between good and evil? Can you at least say that the world is better off that the allies won? That they are slightly further towards the good end of the scale than the evil compared to the axis? For the Soviet Union it most certainly was a war to protect themselves.

I'm quite certain that not every interpretation of Islamic rules forbid nuclear weapons. I'm also quite certain some interpretations of the Qur'an say that Muslims should colonize the world. Like with most religious texts the difficulty in proving one interpretation as better than others is part of the problem. Iran most certainly doesn't speak for the entire Islamic 'civilization' and I wish those Muslims who disagree with the more extremist Islamic regimes around the world would speak up against them, however, Iran speak for Iran. Like I say, the problem is with the theocratic dictatorships regardless of ideology. There just happen to be quite a few Islamic theocratic dictatorships. Viewing the conflict as a clash of civilizations is an oversimplification, viewing the conflict as a conflict between Islam and "the West" is probably at the very least borderline wrong.

I do believe that the west, or rather the ideas of democracy, freedom of speech and enlightenment and any militant, theocratic, or colonizing interpretation of Islam are at odds.

Finally:

I don't know who Huntingdon is, I was a big fan of Christopher Hitchens before he passed though.

The two world wars are quite different, but they were not fleeting or civil wars. The first one was a bit different and seems to me almost like a power struggle that got horrendously out of hand, the second was a war between ideologies, but of course also national interests. Colonizing fascism against democracy. I'm glad the allies won, I would not have liked to live in a nazi or fascist society. And the clashes between nazism/fascism and parts of Islam probably wouldn't have been any better than the conflicts we see today.

Sorry for the long ass post. Although I prefer to argue quite strongly as I find overly politely arguing around a topic with no real exchange of ideas quite tedious, I mean no disrespect (most of the time) and enjoy and learn from these kinds of discussions even if I seem like an arrogant and ignorant dingdonghead at times.

that is an excellent idea
do the same with Cristian leaders also and then extend it EDL vs Muslims (that might need to be behind closed doors and with A LOT of security!) and then into politics, socialists vs capitalists

have someone like Dimbleby chair it to stop it becoming political rhetoric

i think that would be very very positive
preceed each debate with 1 hours docs that discuss the subject matters so anyone watching can watch the debate in context

that is an excellent idea
do the same with Cristian leaders also and then extend it EDL vs Muslims (that might need to be behind closed doors and with A LOT of security!) and then into politics, socialists vs capitalists

have someone like Dimbleby chair it to stop it becoming political rhetoric

i think that would be very very positive
preceed each debate with 1 hours docs that discuss the subject matters so anyone watching can watch the debate in context

The trouble is, I would imagine that some people wouldn't like the idea of extreme islamists being given such a huge platform to spout their views; remember how a lot of people felt when Nick Griffin was on Question Time? But if articulate and erudite conservative Muslims genuinely believe that their more extreme counterparts are genuinely not supported by Islam, then doing this would be a great opportunity to show that on a national stage. Just from watching Proud and Prejudiced, I'm pretty sure the leader of that mosque in Luton could have destroyed the leader of the more extreme groups in a debate.

The trouble is, I would imagine that some people wouldn't like the idea of extreme islamists being given such a huge platform to spout their views; remember how a lot of people felt when Nick Griffin was on Question Time? But if articulate and erudite conservative Muslims genuinely believe that their more extreme counterparts are genuinely not supported by Islam, then doing this would be a great opportunity to show that on a national stage. Just from watching Proud and Prejudiced, I'm pretty sure the leader of that mosque in Luton could have destroyed the leader of the more extreme groups in a debate.

very true - but im sure the public could remind them that their point about "the person you are giving airtime too does not believe in freedom of speech" is an invalid point if deny them freedom of speech

and the air time for Griffin was, IMO, a very important moment in UK politics - firstly for showing we can be a decent democracy and let anyone air their views and seondly because it exposed to everyone that, under scrutiny, Griffin's policies and thoughts were nothing more than ill thought out propoganda.

the cross examination part is such a powerful tool

but it would take a strong media to push the idea - and that wont happen, sadly

Back