• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Portugal to Spain - advice

After 17 years and two kids, I have finally relented and agreed to marry my lovely missus. She is very, very lucky as I'm quite a catch. Anyway, planning a relatively secret trip starting from Nazare in Portugal (where the massive waves are) and travelling right across to the Mar Menor in Murcia - coast to coast, avoiding Madrid. Anyone know the interior of Spain at all? Looks like a bonkers drive, but any tips or knowledge would be great. Thank you.

I dont have a huge amount of knowledge but my in-laws all live just down the road from Nazare, and I have driven up and down Portugal and across into Spain as well. Im assuming you have not drive around Portugal much?

anyway here is my 2 bob worth. Nazare is a bit of a tourist town but driving around in the interior of Portugal is painless. The A roads are very clear due to the Tolls, but dont let that put you off, going on the Toll road from west to east will probably cost around 10 euros. If you are not renting a car make sure you have a yellow vest if the car breaks down or you will be in trouble with the police. if you are looking for spots to stop at try Serre de Estrela with amazing view and hills to walk.

If you are going to avoid Madrid then you might as well start heading south once you getting into Spain and go through Seville, personally i would go down along the coast for a bit and see Gibraltar. After that I dont know much up to Murcia.

I have hear that there is a fee to exit portugal into Spain now. I have not experienced it but relatives told me the last Portuguese leader put in a 75 euro fee. This was to stop people going over the border to get petrol from spain as it was much cheaper. So you might want to bear that in mind when you go.

The food as you travel in both places is cheap as chips, but dont do it on the A roads, like all countries Service stations are way way over prices and the food is average at best. So get off the roads and go in the little coffee shops and get good prices and good food.

Thats about all i have, the roads in Spain are tolled as well so its going to add up, and fuel in Portugal is high, so try to fill up when you get over the border.

Depends on whether you want to go coastal or inland. "Coastal" you could just head south towards Faro then go inland to Seville and then Granada (or down to Gibraltar and along the coast instead of to Seville), perhaps a nicer inland route would be Nazare --> Castelo Branco --> Plasencia --> Seville --> Granada --> Lorca --> Mar Menor.

If you were feeling adventurous and had plenty of time go Plasencia --> Toledo --> Bailen --> Jaen --> Guadix --> Lorca, some real historical sites to be seen along the way.

Back