• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

She has come out and accused Fiona Bruce of being racist
All the fudging taco does is play the race card when there is something she doesn't like

She has come out and accused Fiona Bruce of being racist
All the fudging taco does is play the race card when there is something she doesn't like

She gets more death threats and online abuse than any other politician in the UK. Is she really the worst politician in Parliament?

As I've said before, she voted against the Iraq War, the biggest foreign policy blunder in modern times. Lots of people are against it now, she was at the time, not wise after the event. "Ohh, but she's against any war." OK, fine.

She also stood up and told Theresa May, to her face in Parliament, that the 2014 immigration act would cause problems for British citizens who didn't have the correct paperwork -- 4 years later, this became the Windrush scandal. She had a lot more foresight than the then Home Secretary (May) on an issue that ended up ruining peoples lives. Compare the threats and abuse that May gets to Abbott and then compare which of the two has ruined more lives via policy. The latter isn't even close.

Abbott has an annoying manner, I think she's a poor public speaker. But she doesn't warrant such a disproportionate amount of bile and hate.

As for Fiona Bruce, I wouldn't have thought she's racist -- but perhaps her impartiality isn't the best. The blonde Tory woman on QT said Labour were 6 points behind in the polls and Abbott pointed out that in polls taken as a whole, Labour were level (actually, the only pollster showing a 6 point lead for Tories is Yougov, and the last 4 polls, which were done by other companies, show Labour ahead or level pegging). Fiona Bruce laughed, chimed in that Labour were "definitely behind." Do you think she's just uninformed or biased? Diane Abbott was correct, the others were wrong. I corrected a poster in this thread on this very issue just a few days ago. It shows the power of propaganda and why people like Fiona Bruce are most likely not uninformed, but deliberately misleading. Adam Boulton, the Sky anchor, did the same thing the other day on twitter. Took one yougov poll as the gospel, ignored the other polls and did so deliberately. Impartial? They are supposed to be.

It's interesting that when Abbott gets her numbers wrong in an interview, she is lampooned, portrayed as an utter buffoon. When Phillip Hammond is asked on the Today program how much HS2 is costing, his figures are out by £20Billion. Hammond is chancellor of the exchequer, so I guess it doesn't matter if his figures are totally accurate...and yet how many times has he been vilified for that? He's known as 'Spreadsheet Phil', boring, sensible, accurate. And if he isn't accurate, then it's simply glossed over, not made into a circus.

I don't know that all the abuse Abbott gets is down to her race. Like I said, she has an annoying manner and is a poor public speaker who has said some dumb things. But for her to get more hate and more threats than any other politician in Parliament, imo there is something else to it.

Last edited:
She gets more death threats and online abuse than any other politician in the UK. Is she really the worst politician in Parliament?

As I've said before, she voted against the Iraq War, the biggest foreign policy blunder in modern times. Lots of people are against it now, she was at the time, not wise after the event. "Ohh, but she's against any war." OK, fine.

She also stood up and told Theresa May, to her face in Parliament, that the 2012 immigration act would cause problems for British citizens who didn't have the correct paperwork -- 6 years later, this became the Windrush scandal. She had a lot more foresight than the then Home Secretary (May) on an issue that ended up ruining peoples lives. Compare the threats and abuse that May gets to Abbott and then compare which of the two has ruined more lives via policy. The latter isn't even close.

Abbott has an annoying manner, I think she's a poor public speaker. But she doesn't warrant such a disproportionate amount of bile and hate.

As for Fiona Bruce, I wouldn't have thought she's racist -- but perhaps her impartiality isn't the best. The blonde Tory woman on QT said Labour were 6 points behind in the polls and Abbott pointed out that in polls taken as a whole, Labour were level (actually, the only pollster showing a 6 point lead for Tories is Yougov, and the last 4 polls, which were done by other companies, show Labour ahead or level pegging). Fiona Bruce laughed, chimed in that Labour were "definitely behind." Do you think she's just uninformed or biased? Diane Abbott was correct, the others were wrong. I corrected a poster in this thread on this very issue just a few days ago. It shows the power of propaganda and why people like Fiona Bruce are most likely not uninformed, but deliberately misleading. Adam Boulton, the Sky anchor, did the same thing the other day on twitter. Took one yougov poll as the gospel, ignored the other polls and did so deliberately. Impartial? They are supposed to be.

It's interesting that when Abbott gets her numbers wrong in an interview, she is lampooned, portrayed as an utter buffoon. When Phillip Hammond is asked on the Today program how much HS2 is costing, his figures are out by £20Billion. Hammond is chancellor of the exchequer, so I guess it doesn't matter if his figures are totally accurate...and yet how many times has he been vilified for that? He's known as 'Spreadsheet Phil', boring, sensible, accurate. And if he isn't accurate, then it's simply glossed over, not made into a circus.

I don't know that all the abuse Abbott gets is down to her race. Like I said, she has an annoying manner and is a poor public speaker who has said some dumb things. But for her to get more hate and more threats than any other politician in Parliament, imo there is something else to it.

It’s not all racism, some of it is sexism too.

And she is different!
That all the general unwashed need to make an individuals life painful.
10 x as she’s in the media and public life!
Think she’s must a tough individual just to survive!

It’s not all racism, some of it is sexism too.

I mean she comes across (to me) as condescending and is not quick on her feet, which makes her a poor public speaker. And she's said some downright stupid things. But as an MP, in terms of our Parliament -- imo she's one of the better ones.

You get people saying things like "It's terrifying that she might be our Home Secretary."

Well, compare her to the longest serving Home Secretary (May).

One of them is pro-war, one of them is anti-war.

One of them oversaw the police numbers cut by 20,000 and accused cops of crying wolf when they link this to an increase in violent crime. One of them wants to oversee a reversal of said cuts.

One of them oversaw the Immigration Act 2014 and a Hostile Environment policy (on steroids) for immigrants. This caused Windrush, but also means that British citizens with foreign partners are sometimes forced into becoming 'Skype Families' because they don't meet some arbitrary requirement or other. And one of them wants to treat immigrants like human beings and warned against the potential problems of the 2014 Immigration Act, at the time.

One of them has been in charge of the only government ever to be held in Contempt of Parliament. One of them wanted to bypass democracy with Henry VIII powers.

And one of them is terrifying.

Last edited:
I mean she comes across (to me) as condescending and is not quick on her feet, which makes her a poor public speaker. And she's said some downright stupid things. But as an MP, in terms of our Parliament -- imo she's one of the better ones.

You get people saying things like "It's terrifying that she might be our Home Secretary."

Well, compare her to the longest serving Home Secretary (May).

One of them is pro-war, one of them is anti-war.

One of them oversaw the police numbers cut by 20,000 and accused cops of crying wolf when they link this to an increase in violent crime. One of them wants to oversee a reversal of said cuts.

One of them oversaw the Immigration Act 2014 and a Hostile Environment policy (on steroids) for immigrants. This caused Windrush, but also means that British citizens with foreign partners are sometimes forced into becoming 'Skype Families' because they don't meet some arbitrary requirement or other. And one of them wants to treat immigrants like human beings and warned against the potential problems of the 2014 Immigration Act, at the time.

One of them has been in charge of the only government ever to be held in Contempt of Parliament. One of them wanted to bypass democracy with Henry VIII powers.

And one of them is terrifying.

I agree with you, she’s an MP I actually respect, and there are not many of those.

If we can article 50 and then present Norway option (or close to) Vs Remain via a referendum, that seems like a sensible middle ground that would be in the national interest.

Interested to hear the view of any leavers on that.

If we can article 50 and then present Norway option (or close to) Vs Remain via a referendum, that seems like a sensible middle ground that would be in the national interest.

Not a leaver, but at the moment it seems more likely that Norway option would get through Parliament as a stand alone thing, as there isn't (apparently) a Parliamentary majority for a 2nd ref at the moment. More MPs would be willing to compromise on the Norway option, especially Remain Tories. I think, for example, Nicky Morgan and Nick Boles are two Tory MPs who want a kind of Norway Soft-Brexit, but aren't at the moment backing a 2nd ref. (I might be wrong, double-check me there!)

EFTA would be great. I'd very much support working with Norway, Switzerland and Iceland to facilitate global fair (not free) trade. The same as I'd support us joining the TPP

It's EEA that is the big no no. That's BINO - surrendering all our economic and immigration policies back to the European Commission.

She also stood up and told Theresa May, to her face in Parliament, that the 2014 immigration act would cause problems for British citizens who didn't have the correct paperwork -- 4 years later, this became the Windrush scandal. She had a lot more foresight than the then Home Secretary (May) on an issue that ended up ruining peoples lives. Compare the threats and abuse that May gets to Abbott and then compare which of the two has ruined more lives via policy. The latter isn't even close.

One of the best posts I’ve read on this site.

Re. Purdah, I'm not sure it has to begin 6 weeks out, or whether it just typically does. Do you know anything definitive on that? I have no idea!
No sure where Chris Terry is getting that.
Purdah isn't part of statute but six weeks is the standard time and allows proper time for prep and canvasing. (Jeez, I sound all civil service there - it's like being at work!)

So for it to be less than six weeks would be very out of the ordinary.
But then I guess we have a Govt that is contempt of Parliament, suffered the heaviest ever defeat and then survived a vote of confidence!
So there could be an election via twitter tomorrow for all we know.

Back