• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

Do Sinn Fein have enough seats to prop up the government if the DUP take their ball and go home?

They don't have any seats, because the whole point is they are abstentionists.

They wouldn't need to bother anyway - they could just wait a few months and Corbyn will hand the 6 counties back ahead of schedule

I dont think its as binary as that. But I would wager it is weighted that way, considering the ease/difficulty of non EU/EU entry into the UK.

For example, it is very easy and profitable for an EU resident - particularly from the east - to come to the UK, work for minimum wage, and then go home a (relatively) wealthy man**.

Now try doing that coming from India...

Ill have a look later for numbers, but my bet is that a higher proportion of Non-EU immigrants are of a more skilled/qualified nature.

From what I have seen the majority of Brexiteers want immigration controlled. They want us to have the ability to decide who comes and who doesnt. And so, if need be, say "no" to people as/when we dont have the capacity or requirement for them.

Controlling numbers is a part of that, but it isnt the whole.

Personally I think the EU/Non-EU split is disgusting. On one hand I am against the lack of control we have over the EU side, on the other I am absolutely disgusted by the disparity in process/access based solely upon race.

Ive mentioned it before, Ive had Indian friends go through the process and it is horrific. All the while absolutely anyone from the EU can breeze in without a care. That disparity is awful and I personally am all in favour of making it fair. A more streamlined policy that applies to all would be "right" in my mind.

Roll into that the ability to attract people we need, encourage nurses for example, and even better.

**Its an extreme example, not the norm I know, but 400% true. Had a chap working here as a contractor. He commutes in from Bulgaria, stays in a Travellodge Mon-Thu and then flies home. He was on something like £400 a day, and was very keen to explain just how lavish his life was back home as a result. Lord of the manor type stuff, building an enormous house, pool, tennis courts, staff...

£400 is a good wage. I'm guessing he is not lo/non skilled. As for your friends from India, yeah a friend of mine went through the same, in the end she had to go back. Another friend from Nigeria who had studied here from secondary school, went through uni etc didnt get perminant residency so was forced to go back... he saw himself more British than Nigerian so it was a heartbreaking that he had 'to go back' so I get it I really do. But the fact really does remain that if lo no skilled immigration is reduced then wage inflation will increase.... I'm all for that... But you know who is not.... the Torys

They don't have any seats, because the whole point is they are abstentionists.

They wouldn't need to bother anyway - they could just wait a few months and Corbyn will hand the 6 counties back ahead of schedule
I know that but they could take up the seats to support the government and pull the rug from under the DUP. I know it is pretty unlikely or even if they have the numbers but it would the ultimate irony.

The Corbyn thing you describe won't happen.

I'm not necessarily disputing this, but it's completely at odds again with my own personal experience - miniscule sample obviously, but true nonetheless. I also didn't see any reference to it when (skim) reading the link.

I know that but they could take up the seats to support the government and pull the rug from under the DUP. I know it is pretty unlikely or even if they have the numbers but it would the ultimate irony.

The Corbyn thing you describe won't happen.

Corbyn and McDonnell are the two strongest supporters of a United Ireland in Westminster. Along with renationalisation, leaving the EU and Palestine, it's one of the fundamental principles of their political agenda.

It obviously needs a referendum, but I suspect they would just neglect the unionists enough to try and secure the c.20,000 vote swing it would currently need.

I'm not necessarily disputing this, but it's completely at odds again with my own personal experience - miniscule sample obviously, but true nonetheless. I also didn't see any reference to it when (skim) reading the link.

Counting China, Hong Kong and Taiwan separately in the stats might be a factor. It also differs on subject areas - Chinese students dominate engineering and to some extent business, while non-UK westerners tend to come more for the arts and other social sciences.

Ok, thanks. But I think that article, in referring to 'foreign' students, actually means 'non-EU' students. That's the distinction that's generally made in university's. So when this article states that a large majority of foreign students leave after completing their studies, it would be referring to non-EU foreign students.

I'd be very surprised if the same description applied to EU students, as you previously seemed to state.

The wife is Irish from the south and though all the ones i met think Ireland should be united none care that much about the north.

There a lot in Ireland who dislike the EU as well, we should have pushed this home more, recently.

Counting China, Hong Kong and Taiwan separately in the stats might be a factor. It also differs on subject areas - Chinese students dominate engineering and to some extent business, while non-UK westerners tend to come more for the arts and other social sciences.

I think you might be referring to my other post (the one you quoted here was about EU students) but yes, what you say does make sense in that context.

The wife is Irish from the south and though all the ones i met think Ireland should be united none care that much about the north.

There a lot in Ireland who dislike the EU as well, we should have pushed this home more, recently.

It's funny you say that, I was in Cork in August and my taxi driver to the hotel immediately engaged me in conversation about Brexit. He quite passionately believed Ireland should be exiting with us. I'm pretty sure he's in the minority over there though (he admitted as much himself)...!

Corbyn and McDonnell are the two strongest supporters of a United Ireland in Westminster. Along with renationalisation, leaving the EU and Palestine, it's one of the fundamental principles of their political agenda.

It obviously needs a referendum, but I suspect they would just neglect the unionists enough to try and secure the c.20,000 vote swing it would currently need.
Irrespective of Corbyn's desire to see the island united it won't be done quickly. Decoupling of NI from the UK will more than likely be a long drawn out affair over many many years. Having a catholic majority is only one small part of the picture. I do agree that it will happen at some point,but I believe there will a number of transitional 'states' before then. Regulatory alignment being the first step in that direction. This is obviously the DUP's fear.

It's funny you say that, I was in Cork in August and my taxi driver to the hotel immediately engaged me in conversation about Brexit. He quite passionately believed Ireland should be exiting with us. I'm pretty sure he's in the minority over there though (he admitted as much himself)...!

Leave in Ireland is around 23-28% according to recent polls. They got properly screwed-over when they voted the 'wrong' way on the Lisbon Treaty. But they ultimately know they need a counterweight to the orbit of London.

Back