• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics (so long and thanks for all the fish)

There doesn’t seem to be many people left with those views, if there was, they would be polling much better.

Most people say one thing in public and don't do it in private. Immigration is a classic case, most people would say they don't think our system of managing it works well but have no idea of how to improve it or would like to see unlimited access. Most poll questions are closed questions and give snapshots of current feelings which change depending on situations.

The problem is you need to go in hard at the start of the parliament with your big moves, otherwise inertia and events kick in and they end up in the long grass.

It will be very hard to get the important things like renationalisation, green energy, replacement of student loans etc. through when they aren't in their manifesto.

I agree with your suggested goals the cost and implementation which take years and most of the actual work will be handed to contractors who's principal motive is profit not service. Governments of all persuasions have a terrible record on this.

The problem is you need to go in hard at the start of the parliament with your big moves, otherwise inertia and events kick in and they end up in the long grass.

It will be very hard to get the important things like renationalisation, green energy, replacement of student loans etc. through when they aren't in their manifesto.

Not with the majority they are going to have.

I agree with your suggested goals the cost and implementation which take years and most of the actual work will be handed to contractors who's principal motive is profit not service. Governments of all persuasions have a terrible record on this.
Clearing the parasitic elements out of public service delivery will hopefully be a key tenet in its own right of a future government (although Blair's record with all his PPPs doesn't install confidence).

Last edited:
Going to be hard for them to raise much additional money, already said they won't increase income tax. Even if they did it's already pretty high relative to GDP. Not many additional areas to tax, I remember when the increase to 20% VAT was supposed to be temporary. Without additional growth we'll just tread water. We can't get anything done - I mean we don't even have high speed rail yet, when it opens it will probably be the worlds most expensive line that stops at 2 places.

Going to be hard for them to raise much additional money, already said they won't increase income tax. Even if they did it's already pretty high relative to GDP. Not many additional areas to tax, I remember when the increase to 20% VAT was supposed to be temporary. Without additional growth we'll just tread water. We can't get anything done - I mean we don't even have high speed rail yet, when it opens it will probably be the worlds most expensive line that stops at 2 places.

We've been treading water since the 60's

Generally just reinvesting profits rather than have them leak out to shareholders will help massively.

More burden also needs to fall on pensioners, as they are the wealthiest broad demographic. The abolition of NI (or conversion of it into income tax), to that end, is actually a sensible idea from Hunt. Ending the triple lock has to happen too.

High speed rail is something that should have happened in the 80s and 90s (like France and Japan), but it will never happen now. Autonomous EVs will make all rail travel obsolete fairly soon - everyone will just go door-to-door, there'll be no need for transport hubs.

They could try taxing the big corporations properly , and those earning the very highest, who employ lawyers to ensure they contribute less than the rest of us.

If you think this government is anywhere near the left then you’re really not paying attention. They are very very right wing.
Benefits and immigration and crime have all gone up. Things the right are traditionally against.

The government are corrupt and selling stuff off to their mates. That's not actually new for the tories they have been doing it from what I can remember the early 80s.

Again I'm not defending them, last voted for them with Cameron in charge, he lied about the Lisbon treaty and I have not gone near them since. Voting Labour this time and would have done last time had Corbyn not flipped flopped on the EU. Voted Labour 4 times compared to twice for Conservative and twice UKIP.

Just apart from the words I don't see how with actual policies they are right wing.

Benefits and immigration and crime have all gone up. Things the right are traditionally against.

The government are corrupt and selling stuff off to their mates. That's not actually new for the tories they have been doing it from what I can remember the early 80s.

Again I'm not defending them, last voted for them with Cameron in charge, he lied about the Lisbon treaty and I have not gone near them since. Voting Labour this time and would have done last time had Corbyn not flipped flopped on the EU. Voted Labour 4 times compared to twice for Conservative and twice UKIP.

Just apart from the words I don't see how with actual policies they are right wing.

We're the only country in the world to have privatised water.

We also have the biggest CCTV surveillance infrastructure in the world, other than China.

Sh sh sh, you'll go upsetting the subjects
The Royal family need getting rid of. I have long been saying that on here.

The Irish system of an upper house to replace our house of Lords which us beyond outdated.

Some like to paint me as right wing but when you go through policies, excluding law and order(the wife works in reform care) I am firmly in the left side of things. Except on law and order.

Loathe the Royal family.

There is common misconception that the exchequer works like a household budget. An idea very often repeated by both the government (and opposition) when it suits them. It is incorrect though. The UK has it's own currency and so it doesn't need tax revenue to invest if it wants. It can just make the money and invest it, much like it did for covid.

I've a whole speil about growth being the wrong thing to focus on but I'm gonna have a beer instead.

Back