• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

PODCAST - The Game Is About Glory - The Thick Of It

Genuinely enjoying them lads so keep it up.
And just as genuinely only one small suggestion, an extra half hour would be good.
You cover a fair few subjects and sometimes they are moved along just as you are getting really into them.

Oh and one final thing, he doesn't have a tail so, Kong is NOT A MONKEY.

And just as genuinely only one small suggestion, an extra half hour would be good.
You cover a fair few subjects and sometimes they are moved along just as you are getting really into them.

Cheers @glasgowspur

That's interesting on the timings. Our record this week was 1:40 but I edited it down to just under 1 hour. Some of what ended up on the cutting room floor wasn't broadcastable, some of it was knob and toss jokes but some of it was good but got cut to keep a tidier narrative and keep it pacy.

Steff and I write an outline plan for each show and everyone does a little prep on what they want to say but other than that, we make it up as we go along. That means it needs a bit of tidying up after.

Does this mean that @Moby will have to rent it again now it's been pointed out that he misunderstood this crucial plot point. Godzilla isn't a dinosaur either

I was quite clear, he was a “very big monkey”.....

Last edited:
Cheers @glasgowspur

That's interesting on the timings. Our record this week was 1:40 but I edited it down to just under 1 hour. Some of what ended up on the cutting room floor wasn't broadcastable, some of it was knob and toss jokes but some of it was good but got cut to keep a tidier narrative and keep it pacy.

Steff and I write an outline plan for each show and everyone does a little prep on what they want to say but other than that, we make it up as we go along. That means it needs a bit of tidying up after.

imagine the crushing disappointment of thinking the extra 40 minutes would be more incisive and interesting commentary from @milo and @GPRD81 .... only to discover the reality that it’s actually just me and @thfcsteff giggling like berks, over knob and fanny jokes :D:D:D

Interesting thoughts on the run time though. I have to say it’s probably my fault for being the early champion for keeping it an hour maximum. My thoughts were, we were new and trying to just get a bit of a foothold and that more bite-size chunks would be more likely to be consumed, and sooner.

There’s a lot of Spurs Pods out there and based purely on my listening habits alone, I tend to chalk off the shorter pods first to listen to.

With covid lockdown and the lack of the 2 x 60 minute average commute a day, I’ve noticed lots of colleagues saying they are miles behind on their Pod listening nowadays as they simply don’t get the clear time to listen, so that was also in my mind while we were trying to get started up.

As @milo says though, we do talk for about 3 hours usually - a good catch up and pre-amble first, then roughly 100 minutes of recording, then anything up to an hour of chat afterwards.

Poor Milo has to do the edit though so there’s that to consider, but it might be worth polling the wider audience for feedback on pushing on past the hour.

I guess the other option is if there’s topics you want us to get into again or just to carry on, just drop us a tweet on the @GameIsAboutGlory Twitter account and I’m sure we could find a way to pick it up and refresh/expand the subject on a later Pod.

Full disclosure; I’m also brick at staying up past 22.30 so start bitching and yawning badly! @awesome dawson is also just getting up for work in Oz, but @thfcsteff can go for hours as it’s lunchtime for him. (And oddly, @milo never, ever sleeps).

I don't make a habit of defending you but I think that it is a little unfair singling you out for criticism when @thfcsteff professed his love of the Brothers Grimsby
He’s a man who knows film. We’ll need to sit though it now as a sign of solidarity.

An hour and forty of this lot? 100 minutes? In one go?

8f2daa37e936a56457abd0d094671733.gif

Good pod again though chaps.

I definitely think the current average runtime - around an hour - is perfect and I think I’d be put off if it was getting on for two hours each week.

As you point out @Moby, most of us aren’t commuting atm, which IMO lessens the typical time everyone has to listen to pods. I’ve decided to positively reframe cleaning / chores as ‘pod listening time’, but I’m not sure everyone else will be!

Also, we’re currently at Peak podcast so it really depends what your goal is - is it a) engaging existing listenership more or b) gaining new listeners? I’m assuming there’s a greater focus on recruitment. I’ve got my Alien / Bladerunner / film ones I’m a Patron of that I just about get through, with about two out a week (yes, there really is that much content on those, even to this day!). However, I’ve dropped Football Weekly and The Totally Football Show since lockdown as they’re only really worth listening to if you catch them before the next round of games. I struggle to fit them in in time and if your show was two hours, I’d likely get in a similar position to where I don’t get to it in time before the next lot of games and therefore could be tuning out too, possibly. Having said that, the content, for my money, is stronger than those latter two ;)

My gut would say you’d lose / put off more new people than you gain by extending the time. Just my opinion mind and clearly there is a market for a longer pod, as per @glasgowspur above.

Definitely worth canvassing people’s opinions to get some more thoughts. Be careful with that though, as having also worked in market research, it’s often the case what people say and what people do are not the same!

Last edited:

Good grief mate, you want to hear MORE????

:D

Seriously, thanks and that is high praise indeed. I think we'll likely keep it tight for now, but perhaps a baggy cut version now and again might be on the cards...

Last edited:
He’s a man who knows film. We’ll need to sit though it now as a sign of solidarity.

Absolutely right.

Anyone knocking that film without seeing it is simply playing to cliches.
Is it silly?
Yes.
Is it puerile?
Absolutely.
Is it incredibly entertaining if you let go?
Thoroughly.
Is SBC one of the smartest comedians/comedic filmmakers out there?
Without a shadow of a doubt.
You need to go in with zero expectations either way; if you don't find any of it funny, I'd be flabbergasted beyond belief.
It has actually lifted my spirits several times during this past year.
When I first saw it 'twas under protest, but a good friend I work with who knows his films and with whom I have done many a film assignment, insisted I would love it. Thus off I went to the local multiplex. There was me, an elderly couple on the OAP deal, a rather smelly old man (not me) and some other bloke who had lugged his can collection in with him. We sat suitably spaced away from each other (obviously pre-covid but still the correct protocol) and within the first 25 minutes I had wept with laughter; in fact when Rebel Wilson said, "That wasn't my arse..." I nearly peed myself with laughter, and there were snorts, grunts and trapped gales of guffaw from all corners. Right til the end, and I mean the end.
I will defend this film to the hilt from snobs and naysayers. As you rightly said mate, I know my film (however arrogant that sounds!) and this is a work of art IMO.

I definitely think the current average runtime - around an hour - is perfect and I think I’d be put off if it was getting on for two hours each week.

As you point out @Moby, most of us aren’t commuting atm, which IMO lessens the typical time everyone has to listen to pods. I’ve decided to positively reframe cleaning / chores as ‘pod listening time’, but I’m not sure everyone else will be!

Also, we’re currently at Peak podcast so it really depends what your goal is - is it a) engaging existing listenership more or b) gaining new listeners? I’m assuming there’s a greater focus on recruitment. I’ve got my Alien / Bladerunner / film ones I’m a Patron of that I just about get through, with about two out a week (yes, there really is that much content on those, even to this day!). However, I’ve dropped Football Weekly and The Totally Football Show since lockdown as they’re only really worth listening to if you catch them before the next round of games. I struggle to fit them in in time and if your show was two hours, I’d likely get in a similar position to where I don’t get to it in time before the next lot of games and therefore could be tuning out too, possibly. Having said that, the content, for my money, is stronger than those latter two ;)

My gut would say you’d lose / put off more new people than you gain by extending the time. Just my opinion mind and clearly there is a market for a longer pod, as per @glasgowspur above.

Definitely worth canvassing people’s opinions to get some more thoughts. Be careful with that though, as having also worked in market research, it’s often the case what people say and what people do are not the same!

I think that the sweet spot is 50-60 minutes and that's what I aim for in the edit. I don't consciously cut to that and generally follow my instinct on what stays and what goes but we normally end up somewhere in that range.

Everyone has different circumstances so I understand that I may be in the minority.
This is the only pod I listen to, the only one I've managed to stick with. Usually I find by six episodes they all turn into self important tacos, who think everything they say is hilarious or genius, a combination of David Brent and that taco that was on soccer am.
Andy warhol was almost right, there shouldn't be more than 15 minutes of fame, everyone turns into an arsehole after that.
The pod comes across well, it does feel like we are all there and just can't get a word in for steff. It flys in quick and when it comes to wrapping it up it reminds me of the good old days in the pub when the bell for last orders would go and everyone mutters "already".
Anyway, glad I've brought it up and stimulated some debate.
Keep up the good work guys.

I'm sure once we have hit our millionth listener they'll be all kinds of uncut, remixed, remastered, redux versions.....all of course for a tidy fee as we disappear up our own arses.

:D

I think that the sweet spot is 50-60 minutes and that's what I aim for in the edit. I don't consciously cut to that and generally follow my instinct on what stays and what goes but we normally end up somewhere in that range.

Honestly surprised its edited much at all, you can't see the join.

Absolutely right.

Anyone knocking that film without seeing it is simply playing to cliches.
Is it silly?
Yes.
Is it puerile?
Absolutely.
Is it incredibly entertaining if you let go?
Thoroughly.
Is SBC one of the smartest comedians/comedic filmmakers out there?
Without a shadow of a doubt.
You need to go in with zero expectations either way; if you don't find any of it funny, I'd be flabbergasted beyond belief.
It has actually lifted my spirits several times during this past year.
When I first saw it 'twas under protest, but a good friend I work with who knows his films and with whom I have done many a film assignment, insisted I would love it. Thus off I went to the local multiplex. There was me, an elderly couple on the OAP deal, a rather smelly old man (not me) and some other bloke who had lugged his can collection in with him. We sat suitably spaced away from each other (obviously pre-covid but still the correct protocol) and within the first 25 minutes I had wept with laughter; in fact when Rebel Wilson said, "That wasn't my arse..." I nearly peed myself with laughter, and there were snorts, grunts and trapped gales of guffaw from all corners. Right til the end, and I mean the end.
I will defend this film to the hilt from snobs and naysayers. As you rightly said mate, I know my film (however arrogant that sounds!) and this is a work of art IMO.

I'd rather watch some stupid movie that gave me a laugh than the "thought provoking", "inspiring", "darkly beautiful" "painful masterpiece" Mark commode and his ilk go on about.
That guy must be a Riot and a night out.

Back