• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Podcast recommendations and discussion

I could stand his average impressions of previous managers, but I don't get the implied dismissal of TS as a macaron.

they're more caricatures than impressions to be honest and therefore he tries exaggerates certain character traits. if you like that kind of thing, i guess its not too bad. personally, i like some, and think others are a bit crap too.

Second Captain's football is worth a listen

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains-it-com/second-captains-football-13-02[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Second Captain's football is worth a listen

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/secondcaptains-it-com/second-captains-football-13-02[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I've not listened to that yet, they have done some excellent cycling ones though so I should give them a go

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/guardianfootballweekly/football-weekly-extra-17[/SOUNDCLOUD]

There's an interesting discussion on Adebayor, our game against Saudi Sportswashing Machine and then managers who are good and bad at tactics (incl. Sherwood) from 19:45 onwards on last weeks Football Weekly Extra.

they're more caricatures than impressions to be honest and therefore he tries exaggerates certain character traits. if you like that kind of thing, i guess its not too bad. personally, i like some, and think others are a bit crap too.

Yeah, that was what his show Stella Street was like and it was **** funny at times. I don't like his podcast though, the banter is rubbish and they are trig to hard to be matey. Football Ramble is similar.

Agree. This week's one with Ramos as Scarface was pretty good. The Sherwood ones are as embarrasing as GB's posts in the Sherwood thread.

had it with the spurs show, it's mostly moaning tossers with no understanding of the overall situation, peddling rumour and half truth like its a fact and throwing around hyperbolic nonsense

delaney tends to be balanced and the grumpy actor who's name I forget ( he was in Harry Potter) is very funny, but the rest of them are like spoiled children

the latest episode made me so angry I stopped half way and deleted it

the short term thinking is infuriating

argh!!!!!!!!

sunday supplement is a must for me, football weekly is entertaning but very lightweight, i also listen to espnfc podcasts, steve nicol has some good opinions

had it with the spurs show, it's mostly moaning tossers with no understanding of the overall situation, peddling rumour and half truth like its a fact and throwing around hyperbolic nonsense

delaney tends to be balanced and the grumpy actor who's name I forget ( he was in Harry Potter) is very funny, but the rest of them are like spoiled children

argh!!!!!!!!

just do what i do. only download it following a weekend victory lol. its too painful otherwise

just do what i do. only download it following a weekend victory lol. its too painful otherwise

I'm not sure that I approve of listening to other club's podcasts for schadenfreude. I suppose it is a least a while since you listened to the Spurs show.

argh!!!!!!!!
Yes last week's Spurs Show was infuriating, they really didn't have a clue about Spurs, just moaning and griping and not seeing the bigger picture.

Quite often guests say "I didn't see the game, I was out shopping, but I hear that..."

It is inexcusable to have guests on that haven't seen recent games even on TV/stream.

And sometimes they allow Phil Cornwell to host it and he hasn't seen half the games and just waffles on about the 60s and random "jokes" which are just awful.

Yet... I still listen to it.

I listen to The Fighting rooster podcast which also has lots of flaws, goes on forever, very juvenile... but is at least listenable.

I also listen to Graham Hunter's interviews with footballers which are an interesting insight, had Chris Waddle on the other day... Hunter comes across as a right pearooster, but the interviews are very interesting IMO.

I've been looking for a reason to write a bit of a Spurs podcast review as I listen to most of them so hope that this well help:

I should start by saying that I listen to and enjoy all the podcasts listed below. My horrible car journeys bumper to bumper through North London each day are far more bearable listening to the array of Spurs pods than having to listen to adverts, gooners and horse racing on talksport so I genuinely enjoy all of these, but some more than others. I've therefore listed them in my order of preference:

RULE THE ROOST
Usually available from a Wednesday
standard length: 90 mins
Target Audience Age: 20s and 30's

This is my favourite; it is presented by:
Jack aka 'TehTrunk' (who was once on The Fighting rooster) - who will usually lead the show.
Raj - the Northern bloke who will make several references to Rugby League and Huddersfield Town (his hometown club)
Seb Stafford-Bloor - the posh sounding one.

Their 'USP' is that they usually have a guest supporter from our upcoming weekend opposition to preview that game. Although disappointingly this doesn't happen every week now. This section of the pod can range depending on the guest. This may take a few editions to get into unless you can instantly get into their banter and in-jokes. You do need to be prepared to listen to Raj banging on about Rugby League (and Jack trying to stop him) and to go from Ryan Mason's performance to a conversation about the Great British Bake Off within the turn of a sentence.
However, the guys are able to blend rationality, humour and genuine insight to provide a very well rounded show that will leave you knowing and understanding a lot more about Spurs and football then you did before.

THE FIGHTING rooster
Usually available from a Tuesday eve
standard length: 90 mins
Target Audience: 20s - 40s

This is a relatively well known podcast and is presented each week by 'Flav' - a roosterney sounding geezer in his 30s who is actually far more intelligent and socially mature than may be initially obvious. He is also the brains behind the 1882 movement which I know divides opinion on here but personally I think is a very healthy thing. TFC then has a range of co-presenters who appear to be on a bit of a rota which means there is always a healthy mix of opinions and thoughts from the likes of Spooky (of this parish), T, Bardi, Alex from Bristol and Ricky. Despite all the bluster and laddishness the narrative is always very measured, positive and well thought out. Rather than just focusing on what happens on the field THF addresses many sensitive and difficult issues that strike at the very heart of what being a Spurs fan is all about. The guys (I think) are all 30 and above and generally don't go to as many games now as they did back in their youth and therefore reflect a fascinating demographic of Spurs and football fans in general. That said, their views of what happens on the pitch are again well balanced and rational.
Each show contains an update from 'Windy' on Spurs' U21 and U18 teams as well as details of our players out on loan; what this guy doesnt know about Spurs Academy isn't worth knowing. He is also on the rota of presenters too.
They will usually have guests on from various fields but obviously all Spurs fans who blend into the show very well, these have included Troy Townsend.
The listener questions can sometimes provoke some juvenile and homo-erotic conversations so you may want to listen with your Mum but on the whole a very good listen and I very much look forward to listening to each week.

THE SPURS SHOW
usually availble from Tuesday morning
standard length: 40 mins
Target Audience: 40+

I think the Spurs Show receives a lot of unfair criticism for being overly negative. It is a slightly more mature listen and is definitely aimed at slightly older fans. I agree that Phil Cornwell does slow it down somewhat but he is rarely on these days and instead Mike Leigh or Theo Delaney play good presenters. because the presenters and listeners are that much older and probably go back to the 60s or 80s they probably have a greater expectation of Spurs than those of us who were brought up on Spurs in the 90s - this may go some way to explain the supposed 'negativity' of the show. On that point I don't think there is an overly negative narrative to the show.....for me they call what they see and generally over the last three years there hasn't been a great deal to shout about. The guests on the show are reflective of it and it's audience. Mike Leigh is a showbiz agent so is able to attract some well known Spurs supporting celebs. Additionally they have two live shows each year in London and have been able to attract the likes of Gary Mabbutt, Glenn Hoddle, Cliff Jones and even Jimmy Greaves recently.

OH WHEN THE SPURS
supposedly Monthly but more 2-monthly
standard length 1 hr 30 mins
Target Audience: mixed

It's a shame that this is only a monthly (at best) pod because pound for pounds its possibly the best. It's presented by Crackers (a militant left-wing trade unionist) and Antony Costa (of Blue fame) and they will be joined by a special guest. The guests are always top drawer and the tone of the pod will be dependent on who the guest is. For example the legendary Barry Davies was a guest last season in what was possibly my favourite podcast episode of all time and Crackers, who often plays the roosterney fool, interviewed him magnificently allowing Davies to become the star of the show. Crackers and Ant have a great rapport and due to the frequency of the pods will discuss games in blocks rather than individually which often allows for a more measured observation.

Only problem with this one is the amount of frustration you'll build up waiting for the next episode!

ECHOES OF GLORY

usually out weekly but not regular
standard length: 1 hr
Target Audience: 20s and 30s

The guys (ASD and Jack?) used to be part of the Football Fancast network but now have seemingly gone independent. The conversations follow a sound narrative, are measured and balanced. It is more solid than spectacular but worth listening to for the closing jingle song.

THE HOTSPURS PODCAST
usually out weekly on a Wednesday
Standard length: > 1 hr
Target Audience: 40s

It's simplicity is its beauty; it's basically two Spurs fans (Steve from Essex and Colin from Belfast) discussing the last game and upcoming game over the phone for best part of an hour. Steve leads the show but I find him a bit too much sometimes as the rules of this podcast seem to be 1. Steve is always right; 2 In the unlikely situation of Steve being wrong Rule 1 applies.
He will usually start by giving his strong opinion on something e.g. the merits of the Europa League, whether Rose or Davies should start, whether we'll finish top 4, then he'll back it up by saying what other people have said to him in argument on twitter or in person and then he'll round off by explaining why he was right all along. They also now have a very cringe intro where they play a part of their prior phone conversation which is usually one of Steve's 'interesting' anecdotes about he got the better of somebody.

Despite this Steve has an incredible knowledge of Spurs and as he goes to all the home games his opinions do have credibility. They will also broadcast some one-off interviews with ex-footballers which are interesting. I do listen each week so they must doing something well!

E-SPURS PODCAST
weekly
Standard length: 1 hr
Target Audience: worldwide Spurs fans

I'm not sure if something has happened recently but three of the regular contributors (Ade, Coatsey and John from Barbados) seem to have disappeared this season. I forget the name of the regular presenter but he always sounds very sensible so would be surprised if there had been a big falling out? This is a shame as the panel would usually have some quite contrasting views and therefore there was good debate although Ade (not as in Adebayor!) came across as a bit of a pratt. There are some new panelists now but I haven't yet had time to learn their names let alone critique them. For me this is also a fairly solid listen.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FAMILY
weekly, usually Sunday night
Standard length: 1 hr 15
Target Audience: worldwide Spurs fans

This is a fairly new podcast only being launched last season. Javad who presents is instantly likeable and enthusiastic setting a sound agenda and directing the pod well. There appears to be a rising number of regulars who appear on a rota; these reflect Spurs fanbase around the world and so there is a real international flavour to it. The pod is invariably recorded very shortly after the weekend game and so has the benefit of being the first available of the week usually 24 hours before any others. Call me a snob but I feel the opinions sometimes lack credibility as they are from fans who are either fairly new to the game and/or are only watching from TV and therefore may have limited appeal if you do go to lots of games and want a slightly more in-depth tactical listen. On the whole this a nice podcast that will leave you in a positive mood.

I know there are others; I have just come across The Tottenham Way which had a good flow to it and Hotspur America which as you'd expect is catered for the American Spurs fan. The only one I don't like and have deleted is Hotspurs' Half Hour; these two sound like two middle age men who sit and moan constantly in the West stand and believe that they know best.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for that @GPRD81 - a great read. Would you mind if I adapted it a little and posted it as a blog post for the front page?

BTW Theo Delaney posts heare occasionally and used to be on here a lot. He's a top guy.

Thanks for that @GPRD81 - a great read. Would you mind if I adapted it a little and posted it as a blog post for the front page?

BTW Theo Delaney posts heare occasionally and used to be on here a lot. He's a top guy.

it's a better show when he's on it, he keeps things more balanced and doesn't perpetuate the gonad*s rumours that other guests do

Back