• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Player of the Month - September

Player of the Month

• William Gallas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jan Vertonghen

Votes: 63 84.0%
  • Brad Friedel

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • Jermain Defoe

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Aaron Lennon

• Gareth Bale

• Other

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
Just out of curiousity, do people who think Defoe was outstanding against Utd, think that he needed to do more to take pressure off the defnece by willing free kicks, winning throw ins high up the pitch and generally hold the ball up?

This is not me having a go, just a feeling there is more to a striker and I did not see him help relieve the pressure Saturday by defending from the front

He was alright, he was nowhere near outstanding. Old ground but I agree he needed to do far more work in the second half. You could blame that on team orders though so, who knows.

Just out of curiosity, do people who think Defoe was outstanding against Utd, think that he needed to do more to take pressure off the defence by willing free kicks, winning throw ins high up the pitch and generally hold the ball up?

This is not me having a go, just a feeling there is more to a striker and I did not see him help relieve the pressure Saturday by defending from the front

Sorry but i completely disagree with that, he run his socks off on Saturday and he was knackered when he came off. The problem with watching games on a stream or TV ( not saying you were) is that you miss a lot of the off the ball work that goes on. Defoe never gave their defenders a moments peace, he was moving them all over the place.

Totally agree with the sentiment. Defoe was pretty damn good on Saturday, albeit had loads of time to twiddle his thumbs. He contributed to our potent first-half display and he deserves some recognition with all the naysayers and doubters (myself included) saying he can't play up top on his own.
I thought his performance was pretty good on saturday, managing to hold up Johnny Evans and Rio Ferdinand on his own up front - he looked so strong!

Sorry but i completely disagree with that, he run his socks off on Saturday and he was knackered when he came off. The problem with watching games on a stream or TV ( not saying you were) is that you miss a lot of the off the ball work that goes on. Defoe never gave their defenders a moments peace, he was moving them all over the place.

I thought he was doing his cursory moving about to be honest, showing willing but not actually looking to make a challenge or put any real pressure on (second half, first half, the whole team were warriors!). Part of that was because they had so many passing options at the back as we were playing 9-1 by midway in the second half, so not really his fault. But I thought he should have peeled off onto Scholes and the midfield and I wouldn't say he was working his socks off in the second half.

For everyone that has been hailing the second half "digging in", that is exactly the sort of performance that our teams under Jol used to put in once we'd made a lead for ourselves. The only difference being that we weren't as lucky under Jol and normally lost. Great game, great result, but that's the only time we'll get away with that, I guarentee.

As I said earlier in the thread, we needed someone to come on and do what Gudjohnson did against the Scum or Parker did in the early part of last season and actually get some ball retention going on.

Don't be sorry, your entitled to your opinion mate!

Im of the mind that we needed possession, movement is all well and good when you have the ball, but we needed to get the ball and for me, he didnt do enough to help us. He can use his frame to win free kicks and get the pressure off, he can use his work rate to win throws etc.
Token runs between centre halves when he is pressing on his own is pointless.
Dont wanna sound like im having a go because im not, I just feel we need more when we are under pressure.

On the flip side, you can pick holes in the midfield for not having the confidence to try and keep it, so it is swings and round abouts.

Exactly this imo. There is no point to it at all, he might as well drop a little onto the midfield. But part of that is someone (AVB/Fruend) telling him to drop back.

Don't be sorry, your entitled to your opinion mate!

I'm of the mind that we needed possession, movement is all well and good when you have the ball, but we needed to get the ball and for me, he didn't do enough to help us. He can use his frame to win free kicks and get the pressure off, he can use his work rate to win throws etc.
Don't wanna sound like i'm having a go because i'm not, I just feel we need more when we are under pressure.

On the flip side, you can pick holes in the midfield for not having the confidence to try and keep it, so it is swings and round abouts.

He kept two and on some occasions three defenders from pushing forward, dropping into M/F would have been a mistake as it would had led to us having no out ball. He worked his socks off and was dead for the last ten minutes but he still kept there defenders busy, as i have said before its only when you see the game live you can really see the amount of work he put in.

He kept two and on some occasions three defenders from pushing forward, dropping into M/F would have been a mistake as it would had led to us having no out ball. He worked his socks off and was dead for the last ten minutes but he still kept there defenders busy, as i have said before its only when you see the game live you can really see the amount of work he put in.

Without sounding patronising mate, because im from shropshire, dont think I dont watch spurs live! Admit ive been on game only this season and Defoe was gash!

Mate, no he didn't. One person cannot prevent three people from pushing forward! Seriously, you must have played keep ball at school? Three players and the entire width of the pitch with Defoe lolloping from player to player? Any one of them can go forward when they want, but it's better to be patient and watch Defoe run himself out. There was never a hint of Defoe actually intercepting.

Back