• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Player affinity

Maybe we don't have too many extremely exciting players at the moment, but I think they seem like decent human beings at least. We don't seem to have any Craig Bellamys or Joey Bartons around. I appreciate that fact. There are no players I find it difficult to wish well.

As for players I like better than the rest:

Lloris - A great keeper, seems to hate losing, seems like an intelligent chap.

Eriksen - My favourite player in terms of what he does on the pitch. Not in his best form at the moment, but I like how he plays the game. A thinker and an intelligent player, which is my favourite kind. Our most talented player in my opinion. He also seems like a thorougly nice guy, which is surprising as he is Danish.

Kane, Mason - Players who have fought hard to get into the team, even though it seemed like they never would. Seem to have a genuine heart or the club. I could say the same for Townsend, but I don't like him that much as a player unfortuntely.

Lennon - A player who has been around for a long time. Always gives his all for the team when he plays.

Quite like Soldado too. I don't think he will ever to particularly well for us (But I'd love it if he proves me wrong), but he seems like a nice chap who shows some passion on the pitch.

To me its who I'll always consider Spurs player even when they're playing for Hull or Real in the future.
At the moment its Kane, Bentaleb, Eriksen, Walker and Carroll.

Has anyone considered that part (if only a small part) of the reason for the lack of affinity that fans now have for players is the cumulative effect (over the past fifteen years or so) of the fundamentally changed lives that fans now experience?

The internet (twitter, message boards etc); 24/7 football coverage on multiple TV channels; the modern craving for instant gratification; our familiarity with the concept of easily disposable and updatable products (phones, computers.......football players) etc....

They wear the shirt, I'll cheer for them, simple as. Even the one's who aren't playing well still are part of the club.

I like Lloris coz he is just top quality.

I like Rose coz he has a bit about him, some fire in his belly.

I like Mason coz he works hard and is forward thinking.

Walker, when he's playing well, can be quite an exciting player, explosive.

I like our home-grown players coz it feels like it means more for them to play than the others who are waiting on Real Madrid to come calling.

The rest just sorta p1ss me off to varying degrees.

Has anyone considered that part (if only a small part) of the reason for the lack of affinity that fans now have for players is the cumulative effect (over the past fifteen years or so) of the fundamentally changed lives that fans now experience?

The internet (twitter, message boards etc); 24/7 football coverage on multiple TV channels; the modern craving for instant gratification; our familiarity with the concept of easily disposable and updatable products (phones, computers.......football players) etc....

it's mostly the transience for me, i obviously adored bale, I was very disappointed when we lost him, Modric likewise but that's the way things are now, if we have players that do well and we are not in the CL they will move to CL teams

back in the day it was different, players could be out of contract and you'd still get a transfer fee, squads were more settled, players tended to move more when the selling club decided they needed the money or the player wanted a change rather than it being a matter of course, when we sold gazza I cried, when we let sheringhan go I was devastated, the likes of mabbs and Anderton stayed even when better clubs were chasing them, that was the done thing

I'm fond of Kane, he reminds me of my lab, always up for a game, run around until all the energy is gone, with a big grin on his face and his tongue hanging out, other than that soldado, I think there is a great player in there, and I think he's honestly trying his balls off, other than that they are all much of a muchness

But fans have continued to have strong affinities with certain players all the way through these developments: King, VDV, Daws and now Kane. Besides, there's no reason why these factors would not work just as potently the other way. If anything I'd say my love of football has increased rather than declined through the increased multiplicity of media interactivity.

Looking back over six decades, apart from one brief spell in the 70s under Terry Neill, my affinity with the club remained steady until the sackings of BMJ and Harry and wholesale upheavals of the squad since. So for me it's Levy's increasing appetite for personnel change that is most eroding my sense of connection with the club nowadays.

I will actually add Soldado to my list, for some reason I'm desperate for him to do well.

Rose? Nah, he just seems to suffer a bit from 'small man syndrome' and is too hot-headed. Plus I'll never forgive him for the times last season he'd lose the ball upfield and jog back without a care in the world.

Rose came back injured and was unfit and overweight - his not jogging back was something to do with the fact that he probably wasn't up to playing prem football.

I actually quite like Soldado for some reason and I understand that an affinity isn't always built up on ability or performance.

However I don't how people can have an affinity with someone who has completely failed, showed dubious work ethic or character and was our record signing. I have no malice to him and I can see how people are desperate for him to do well..... But to say you have an affinity with him on par with our youth team or iconic players is ludicrous IMO

Rose came back injured and was unfit and overweight - his not jogging back was something to do with the fact that he probably wasn't up to playing prem football.

I actually quite like Soldado for some reason and I understand that an affinity isn't always built up on ability or performance.

However I don't how people can have an affinity with someone who has completely failed, showed dubious work ethic or character and was our record signing. I have no malice to him and I can see how people are desperate for him to do well..... But to say you have an affinity with him on par with our youth team or iconic players is ludicrous IMO

do you mean Soldado or Lamela?

The saddest thing for me is that I find I have less and less affinity with our fans.

Right now, I actually feel little more than contempt or outright hatred for many of them.

do you mean Soldado or Lamela?

Soldado. Lamela I want to do well too and I like his attitude - it's just his output that is letting him down.

There is no malice to either player, I just find it strange that you have an affinity with people who have zero connection with the club and haven't contributed to the cause as of yet.

For me the likes of walker, rose, mason, Kane Townsend etc embody some of out core values and seem to really fight for the shirt.

Perhaps in the same way it's unreal that kaboul and Ade are involved in the captaincy - the fact people feel an affinity with certain players probably shows how much our squad is lacking

fair enough, there is just something about Soldado I like, he looks like he actually cares

I only asked about Lamela as you said record signing, which yes Soldado was for a couple of weeks, just checking

Because in the specific context of Spurs, many of them are stupid, ignorant, congenitally abusive, aggressive, selfish, hypocritical and puffed up with a massively exaggerated sense of their own importance and entitlement.

Because they refuse to acknowledge that they have a positive part to play, if they only choose to.

Because they have made going to White Hart Lane a misery for so many others.

It's impossible to feel any affinity with such people, even if they do support (if that's even the right word) the same team as me.

Because in the specific context of Spurs, many of them are stupid, ignorant, congenitally abusive, aggressive, selfish, hypocritical and puffed up with a massively exaggerated sense of their own importance and entitlement.

Because they refuse to acknowledge that they have a positive part to play, if they only choose to.

It's impossible to feel any affinity with such people, even if they do support (if that's even the right word) the same team as me.

Absolutely spot on!=D>

On another thread where the subject was our poor performance I mentioned consistency..

In the last 2 1/2 seasons I mentioned only 3 players who have played 'consistently' well. They were Bale, Lloris and Kane..

I notice that the opening post to this thread mentions Hugo and Harry.... Sad isn't it.

Agree with all of this.

Back