• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Performances over a season

BrainOfLevy

Michael Carrick
I wanted to write this as following tonight, you can tell a lot of people are underwhelmed by the performance. It's not about AVB specifically, but is about what I believe he is trying to do, but also what other managers are trying to do. Basically I believe that clubs decide certain points in a season where they expect good form, or prepare the team for good form, and certain points where they reduce their expectations in the hope of eeking out the extra few % when they want it to matter.

It's a concept we've heard about fairly often. Last year it was reported quite widely that Barca tailor their preparations so they come down a slight level in terms of fitness just before the business end of the season really kicks in, and then they amp it up again from there. Obviously Man United are known for being the kings of the run-in, and I don't think it's all because of the mental aspect that they thought they could do it, and more about the fact they were prepared in a way to help them achieve it. Margins are fine and if clubs can manage it so they can have an advantage over other teams at certain points in the season they will do so. Wigan are also notorious for performing late in the year under Martinez, and people put it down to some whimsical element, but really they were prepared to do it that way.

The crux of my point is this: AVB takes these ideas and inputs them into strategies not just to plan over a season, and also in game. So, over a season there are games where our 'effort' or rather our over extension of effort is reduced. This is because we feel we can get the result without going full pelt, so that we are better able to compete in the bigger/tougher games when we need to. A lot of people (myself included) thought that our squad was simply more suited to away games, but this season I don't think it necessarily is, I think we are just prepared to go full pelt for longer periods when away in order to maximise our chances. So, home games against lesser teams, and Carling Cup games last season for example, we don't extend ourselves as much as we possibly could. It doesn't mean we can't perform well in games that mean less, just that in terms of finding the margins where we can, the process is managed so we can get them where they matter.

With relevance to tonight - lesser games in the Europa League - I absolutely expected the type of performance we got. And it gives me confidence that we are being prepared as a top side would be, ready to face a big game on Sunday. We didn't extend ourselves more than needed to and we got the job done. That's what a professional club does. That's what any top side does. However a top side might lose a game like this too - for example Chelsea losing to Basel is likely to be as much about the fact that over extended against West Ham and I don't think it comes as a great surprise to Mourinho that they didn't beat Basel. Tonight for us, I don't think the players were particularly nervous, I think they were simply doing what was asked of them.

So within games, the same thinking applies, and with reference to AVB, his whole system is designed to give us the control so we can play a match, and a season, on our terms. We didn't need to over extend ourselves tonight. People have commented that 'we managed to come alive for a 20 minute spell' for example but I don't think that is coincidence, I think it is completely by design. We don't need to over do it in a game like this but just to finish off the job, we will increase the pressure when we decide, because we have conserved the energy, and over run them at a point in the game of our choosing.

We are able to do this because of our control of the ball. People may say it's meaningless possession if we aren't creating chances but I'd argue for the purposes of this thread, it's not meaningless if we are conserving energy and waiting for moments in the game to ramp up the pressure. The high line allows us to win the ball back quickly and the short passing at a slow tempo means we can rest with the ball. I may have been wrong in thinking that the t**gid football was a stage to get us somewhere else. I'm now thinking that while we do need to get slightly better at it, if we were to be playing a different system that required more risk taking we would be doing it by now, AVB has certainly had enough time. But we do it the way we do to exert maximum control. We play nice football when we need to - the second goal tonight is proof. We always have spells in a game where suddenly we come alive, and I don't think it is by accident. It's by design.

I don't think AVB is the only manager thinking this way, but he's probably the only manager doing it the exact way that he is trying to do it. I think Martinez for example is an advocate of the approach - always appearing to get better performances against big teams but sometimes looking like having sterile possession against smaller ones. I also think most clubs plan their points over a season, and also base it on where they expect other clubs to have their strong periods. So I think Liverpool and Arsenal planned to have strong starts given that they had the most settled squads and therefore an easier task of making sure they got the results they planned for. Southampton probably the same. I would not be surprised if ourselves however planned for a dip early on where we were letting players acclimatise, but that our level will increase in the coming months. It will also not surprise me in the slightest when Arsenal and Liverpool have their dips in the coming months too. I think it will happen, because no club can expect their players to go at the maximum for the entire season. The smart move is to control when you want to be at the maximum.

So I think this is why AVB is rated. He has the backing of people within football because this approach makes sense. It may not always be pretty, certainly against teams lesser than ourselves, but it's the smart play if it means we can get better performances in the games that matter, and in the business end of the season. We didn't get a result against Arsenal earlier on, but this can likely be because they have planned for a strong start, and their players were more settled and so were able to carry it off better than ours. City was a calamity of errors that meant we couldn't play the game anywhere near our terms.

People may say 'sod all this, I just want to be entertained, why can't we play at the maximum every game?' and to them I would say it's a fair enough request, but I think what seperates the highly regarded modern manager from the old school (even recent old school) is this difference. It's preparing the squad intelligently in terms of fitness and intensity so they increase the chances of getting performances when they need them. Our 11/12 season is a prime example. We were awesome for the first few months but couldn't perform when it mattered. I don't think Harry 'knows' any less about tactics, but I think this is probably a consideration that perhaps he didn't pay too much mind in that season.

Anyway - sorry for the length, I just wanted to try to articulate what I think AVB's approach is, and why we may be seeing lackluster performances against smaller teams (broadly speaking). And why I believe it is a smart play and the mark of a club that will compete. I fully expect us to perform well against Man United on Sunday. Whether we win is another matter, but I back us to perform and look good doing it.

I don't really buy that at all. I can see how it can be used in a game like today's, sure, but in bigger games, just about any Premier League game, it would be too much of a risk to play a calculated 80% say. We're not that much better than the teams placed lower than us in the league (as we've seen against Wet Spam, for instance), where a drop in performance would mean us being defeated or conceding the first goal, which is always a huge thing in football. It just sounds a bit speculative to me. I don't think a team like Wigan prepares for season that way, "hey guys, let's play 80% until March and from then on in, let's give it all we've got", just sounds completely silly. I think their relegation fights has more to do with man-managing and psychology than anything else.

But, by all means, I consider you a person with far more technical knowledge of football than myself, and I'd like to see a link to an article or book where the thoughts behind Barca's preparations for a season are outlined. I really fail to see the logic behind not giving a 100% until you at least lead by a goal or two (at which point it can make sense if you have a busy program).

I admire your belief, BOL. You are obviously a true AVBeliever. Fair enough if that is how you see it.

But I believe the majority of that post is nonsense I'm afraid. It's just you looking for reasons to back AVB IMHO. Because although I agree with the premise that sometimes teams take their foot off the gas in certain games to save energy, that isn't what we have done - playing at a low tempo is a byproduct of just how we play. It is AVB's tactics, not some masterplan. And we played similarly last year, yet this supposed masterplan collapsed in the last three months when we drew and lost games we perhaps should have won.

Yes, certain teams tailor their summer training methods so as to be stronger at the business end of the season, but that is no excuse for serving up bad performance after bad performance in the build up. I can guarantee that we did not choose to play within ourselves at home to West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine in an attempt to serve energy for April time. You simply do not sacrifice results like that. Southampton may fatigue later in the season due to their way of playing, but Arsenal and Liverpool do not employ such a suffocating pressing game as Saints and yet do you really think those two clubs have expended a large amount of energy more than ourselves? No, I don't. We had to bust a gut in games against the likes of Swnasea, Cardiff and Hull to ensure we won 1-0, and defending leads can tire players out too you know. Arsenal and Liverpool, to use two examples as they are the current top two, have often been 2, 3 or 4 goals ahead in games this season so they can bring off their star men for rests and just relax with the ball, thus saving energy in the process for later in the season.

As I say, I admire your effort but feel you are over-scrutinising certain things. The truth is that we have just not played very well in 2013.

I can accept if we finish 6th, because five teams have better players than us to put it simply. We have more talent in our ranks than Everton, Southampton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, however, so if we finish below them then it will be a travesty. Let's hope AVB doesn't allow that, starts forcing the players to use a more high tempo game, less compact game which will suit the players we have and we will finish above them and may even worry Liverpool/Man United. Playing our current way, I would not expect a magic formula such as the above to make us make a late dash for the title/top four. It just doesn't work like that, I'm afraid.

I get the theory behind it.

But we dont get results in the "games that matter" though. Look at the current league table and we've beaten one top 10 team this season (Swansea in 10th)!

But if we were really trying to save energy why send Dawson, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Dembele, Holtby, Townsend, Lamela, Siggy and Soldado to Norway before we have 3 Premier League games in 9 days. We would have finish top on that group even if we lost tonight. We've the same all season in silly European trips.

I'm not sure a Premier League team can use this strategy.
I think it could be effective in less competitive league like Spain, Scotland or Portugal. But in the Premier League you actually have a real fight on your hands against the lesser teams. Barcelona had the league sewn up so early last year they are able to take it easy in their average League game.

Truly outstanding post and by far one of the best I have ever seen on this board.

=D>

Thank you, quite literally. Your post has managed to articulate a lot better than I ever could the point that I have been trying to make for a while.

It's preparing the squad intelligently in terms of fitness and intensity so they increase the chances of getting performances when they need them. Our 11/12 season is a prime example. We were awesome for the first few months but couldn't perform when it mattered. I don't think Harry 'knows' any less about tactics, but I think this is probably a consideration that perhaps he didn't pay too much mind in that season.

We literally blitzed teams home and away for fun, made it look effortless at times but then due to a lack of rotation players began to fall likes flies. The most frustrating part of our capitulation during the latter stages was the fact that our players actually tried their best, even dominated games yet just didn't seem to have that vital 5% of energy as well as the well documented problems of finishing. What was also annoying was that this happened before during the latter stages of the previous season with an abysmal run of 1 win in 10 PL games after wining in Milan. On top of that there was the famous collapses under Hoddle and then under Jol.

I feel that we need to go from being a stop start club which plays brilliantly yet picks picks up roughly 65Pts to a club that steadily collects 75-90Pts over the season.

Ever since hearing my Dad's stories of watching the Dutch class of 74' I have always believed in and been love with Total football, so once I heard of the 'Tottenham Way' it made me fall in love with this club even more. Since Munich (2012) though I have felt that maybe it is this obsession with the 'Tottenham Way' that is holding us back, not lady luck's abandonment, The FA, conspiracy theories etc. And that is way I back what AVB is doing, if he played the game like Fat Sam then regardless as what I've just said I'd happily tell him to go do one but he isn't, there is a focus on the technical aspect of the game which is designed to keep possession to tire our opponents out which shows that he is more influenced by Guardiola than he is Mourinho.

The way I see it he is as appreciative of the attacking side of the game as we are but at the same time he understands you cannot be successful with this philosophy in the counter attacking obsessed Premier League, a league in which he wants to win.

I completley disagree with the OP.

If we're saving ourslves for bigger games we wouldn't be getting hammered 6-0 by one of our mains rivals for a top four place.

Besides, the seasons still young so why would he be 'saving us' already??

I completley disagree with the OP.

If we're saving ourslves for bigger games we wouldn't be getting hammered 6-0 by one of our mains rivals for a top four place.

Besides, the seasons still young so why would he be 'saving us' already??

There will always be freak results no matter how you prepare. We gave away two freak goals, against a team of City's quality that it always going to give you problems.

I don't really buy that at all. I can see how it can be used in a game like today's, sure, but in bigger games, just about any Premier League game, it would be too much of a risk to play a calculated 80% say. We're not that much better than the teams placed lower than us in the league (as we've seen against Wet Spam, for instance), where a drop in performance would mean us being defeated or conceding the first goal, which is always a huge thing in football. It just sounds a bit speculative to me. I don't think a team like Wigan prepares for season that way, "hey guys, let's play 80% until March and from then on in, let's give it all we've got", just sounds completely silly. I think their relegation fights has more to do with man-managing and psychology than anything else.

But, by all means, I consider you a person with far more technical knowledge of football than myself, and I'd like to see a link to an article or book where the thoughts behind Barca's preparations for a season are outlined. I really fail to see the logic behind not giving a 100% until you at least lead by a goal or two (at which point it can make sense if you have a busy program).

From a season perspective, do you think it is possible to go full pelt in every game and be consistent from August through to May? Or do you think there will be dips? Do you think it is better to manage when those dips are likely to occur?

From an in game perspective, I don't mean trying any less, or concentrating any less. It's more about the type of football played. In smaller games we will often rest with the ball, meaning we aren't over extending ourselves but at the same time the opposition isn't threatening us. From an entertainment perspective it is pretty dull, but ultimately last season showed if you win the games most people will be happy at the end of the day. I was certainly happier than the collapse the season before when simply nothing went right for us and we couldn't buy a win. I don't think a smaller team or one that doesn't try to play football in control - Stoke say - can do what I am referring to.

In the bigger games we played some really nice stuff last year. Against Arsenal away we were looking dominant until the red card, and at home we were picking them apart quite often playing rapid football but poor finishing from Sig for example let us down.

So it's not about trying any less, just managing our extension of energy by controlling the ball, to ramp up the pressure in games and over the season when required.

Sorry, BOL, it's a well written post but it's nonsense.

If AVB was really planning over a season, why play some of his best players in the EL when they are clearly tired (Paulinho and Verts being two examples)? Why effectively accept defeat against City and Arsenal? This sort of approach, if it was a reality, is over-complicating the game and trying to be clever when it isn't necessary.

Preumably, then, AVB implemented a similar strategy last season. If so, why, for example, didn't we kick on towards the end of the season because we were pretty ordinary up to the Everton game (and beyond if we're honest except for a certain Welshman). After the Arsenal game, there were some poor results (Liverpool, Fulham, Wigan) and some very poor performances (Sunderland, Southampton). In fact, towards the end of last season, I can't think of what I'd call a good performance. Maybe City but even then, they could have been out of sight by half time.

Personally, I think you're just trying to find an explanation to justify the poor performances under AVB. If this is his strategy, I'd want him sacked immediately.

I admire your belief, BOL. You are obviously a true AVBeliever. Fair enough if that is how you see it.

But I believe the majority of that post is nonsense I'm afraid. It's just you looking for reasons to back AVB IMHO. Because although I agree with the premise that sometimes teams take their foot off the gas in certain games to save energy, that isn't what we have done - playing at a low tempo is a byproduct of just how we play. It is AVB's tactics, not some masterplan. And we played similarly last year, yet this supposed masterplan collapsed in the last three months when we drew and lost games we perhaps should have won.

Yes, certain teams tailor their summer training methods so as to be stronger at the business end of the season, but that is no excuse for serving up bad performance after bad performance in the build up. I can guarantee that we did not choose to play within ourselves at home to West Ham and Saudi Sportswashing Machine in an attempt to serve energy for April time. You simply do not sacrifice results like that. Southampton may fatigue later in the season due to their way of playing, but Arsenal and Liverpool do not employ such a suffocating pressing game as Saints and yet do you really think those two clubs have expended a large amount of energy more than ourselves? No, I don't. We had to bust a gut in games against the likes of Swnasea, Cardiff and Hull to ensure we won 1-0, and defending leads can tire players out too you know. Arsenal and Liverpool, to use two examples as they are the current top two, have often been 2, 3 or 4 goals ahead in games this season so they can bring off their star men for rests and just relax with the ball, thus saving energy in the process for later in the season.

As I say, I admire your effort but feel you are over-scrutinising certain things. The truth is that we have just not played very well in 2013.

I can accept if we finish 6th, because five teams have better players than us to put it simply. We have more talent in our ranks than Everton, Southampton and Saudi Sportswashing Machine, however, so if we finish below them then it will be a travesty. Let's hope AVB doesn't allow that, starts forcing the players to use a more high tempo game, less compact game which will suit the players we have and we will finish above them and may even worry Liverpool/Man United. Playing our current way, I would not expect a magic formula such as the above to make us make a late dash for the title/top four. It just doesn't work like that, I'm afraid.

I think calling it the master plan makes it sound a bit...I dunno, just building kt up to knock it down. I do absolutely believe that is the plan of the staff at the club though. It's not as if we suddenly forget how to play football against smaller teams, I think that process is managed. It is a byproduct of AVBs tactics, because I don't think he wants us going full pelt from minute one against those kinds of opposition. It's all well and good doing that, but if we do fail to score and we are more tired within the game, we are then at the mercy of the opposition that has sucked up the pressure. I think it's much better to overwhelm them in the moments when we choose - it is often in our case around the 65 minute mark at home just before the opposition makes subs when they will be at their most ragged, and it is at this point where we hit them. I much prefer this to the old approach, blitzing teams often enough but when it doesn't work we bemoan how unlucky we were game after game for weeks at a time.

I don't think we collapsed last year for what it's worth, we had a good end to the season it's just Arsenal and Chelsea were better, in Arsenal's case absolute phenomenal. It's because they prepare as a top club to perform at the business end of the year and it's never really in any doubt, and it's what we need to do to compete.

Look at our game against Sunderland at home on the final day. All season we had been playing at a slow pace from kick off but in this game we blitzed them. The idea was to put the pressure on Arsenal at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and make them chase a result knowing we were ahead. AVB was extra furious we didn't get the penalty for the foul on Bale inside a few minutes because his plan would have taken effect. My point is we showed we can turn it on when we want.

It didn't go to plan against Saudi Sportswashing Machine, West Ham and City, Saudi Sportswashing Machine I think we were unlucky but the others were not good. But again it's not about being within ourselves, just playing in an intelligent way.

I think Arsenal and Liverpool will have dips. They are coming out to blitz teams at the moment and I don think that can be kept up. If they do it, then they truly have excellent managers above and beyond anyone else...I just don't think that is the case.

We haven't looked great in a number of games but again, I was just walking past the Sky update on the big screen at Waterloo...supposedly we laboured to a win. It's funny though, so many times we are apparently laboured but still win games. I think it is designed.

If AVB was really planning over a season, why play some of his best players in the EL when they are clearly tired (Paulinho and Verts being two examples)? Why effectively accept defeat against City and Arsenal? This sort of approach, if it was a reality, is over-complicating the game and trying to be clever when it isn't necessary.

Preumably, then, AVB implemented a similar strategy last season. If so, why, for example, didn't we kick on towards the end of the season because we were pretty ordinary up to the Everton game (and beyond if we're honest except for a certain Welshman). After the Arsenal game, there were some poor results (Liverpool, Fulham, Wigan) and some very poor performances (Sunderland, Southampton). In fact, towards the end of last season, I can't think of what I'd call a good performance. Maybe City but even then, they could have been out of sight by half time.

Personally, I think you're just trying to find an explanation to justify the poor performances under AVB. If this is his strategy, I'd want him sacked immediately.

Completely agree with Deano, I admire the OP its well written and has some very good idea's, but DeanoAustin has evidence that it doesn't work or didn't work last season anyway. Try and think back to Southampton and in particular the Sunderland game we looked tired and were waiting for Bale to save us again fortunately he did.

I do believe AVB brings a different training style which is fresh and different to what the players were used to, to say its all part of his plan that come the end of the season Spurs are fitter and stronger then other clubs I just dont believe that.

I get the theory behind it.

But we dont get results in the "games that matter" though. Look at the current league table and we've beaten one top 10 team this season (Swansea in 10th)!

But if we were really trying to save energy why send Dawson, Vertonghen, Chiriches, Dembele, Holtby, Townsend, Lamela, Siggy and Soldado to Norway before we have 3 Premier League games in 9 days. We would have finish top on that group even if we lost tonight. We've the same all season in silly European trips.

I think this is a case of bedding in new players though - I fully expect us from January onwards to perform when it matters. The big games we've lost this time are to teams also playing with maximum intensity at the moment - Arsenal away and City away, who seem to be focussing on attacking threat and intensity at home at the expense of solidarity away

In Sports Science it's known as 'peaking'. It's the idea that top athletes can only be at their top condition in short spurts, not consistently. To some extent it's like managing your KERS in F1.

The usual strategy is to mix it up a bit - say have 1/3 of your team on the way up, 1/3 up and 1/3 coming down.

You can though do it so all of your players are up, but this will mean a blanket dip both before and after. An example of this was how Ramos prepared us for the 2008 cup final, when we were all useless and lethargic for a bit before and certainly after that game.

I think it's much better to overwhelm them in the moments when we choose - it is often in our case around the 65 minute mark at home just before the opposition makes subs when they will be at their most ragged, and it is at this point where we hit them. I much prefer this to the old approach, blitzing teams often enough but when it doesn't work we bemoan how unlucky we were game after game for weeks at a time..

West Ham scored their goals against us in the 66th, 72nd and 79th minutes.

I don't think we collapsed last year for what it's worth, we had a good end to the season it's just Arsenal and Chelsea were better, in Arsenal's case absolute phenomenal. It's because they prepare as a top club to perform at the business end of the year and it's never really in any doubt, and it's what we need to do to compete.
Look at our game against Sunderland at home on the final day. All season we had been playing at a slow pace from kick off but in this game we blitzed them. The idea was to put the pressure on Arsenal at Saudi Sportswashing Machine and make them chase a result knowing we were ahead. AVB was extra furious we didn't get the penalty for the foul on Bale inside a few minutes because his plan would have taken effect. My point is we showed we can turn it on when we want...

We didn't have a bad finish to the season results wise after Fulham. But we lost to Fulham at home. Fulham!?! At the business end of the season. Can you think of a genuinely good performance in our last 10 games?

Also, holding Sunderland up as justification for the strategy is nonsense. We were playing a team on their summer holidays and it took a bit of Bale magic in the last few minutes to get us the win. AVB was extra furious we didn't get the pen because he was under pressure - not because a win would have seen his "plan" take effect. The fact we needed a goal to put Arsenal under pressure at that point showed that his strategy, if that's what it was, had failed. He had a 7 point lead over Arsenal and their good run notwithstanding, we dropped some silly points in the run in (Wigan, Fulham even Everton) to give them the initiative.

Also, aren't Arsenal currently pursuing a strategy that runs completely against what you're proposing? Bet you they finish ahead of us again this season.

We haven't looked great in a number of games but again, I was just walking past the Sky update on the big screen at Waterloo...supposedly we laboured to a win. It's funny though, so many times we are apparently laboured but still win games. I think it is designed.

If you honestly think part of AVB's strategy is to take it easy now and rely on dodgy penalty decisions against Hull and Swansea then one of you is very, very stupid. I hope it's you.

That's not meant to be as insulting as it sounds but as a strategy, what you've outlined is almost completely devoid of sense.

The reason we got results from January onwards last season was down to Bale turning into Ronaldo as far as I'm concerned. We didn't look fitter than the rest of the premier league. We had Parker and a half injured Dembele in a struggling midfield ffs. Take away the Bale goals and we would only have won 3 out of the 18 games in the 2013 part of last season.

He rotates well in the Europa. Giving players ten or fifteen minutes in a match a few days before another is no big deal, even with Soldado I think scientifically the recovery time is 3 days and means we should be ok for Sunday, but if we had went to Tromso to smash them 5-0 to prove a point, I don't think we would perform as well on Sunday. And similarly, over exertion is something that will take it's toll over a season, as opposed to controlled exertions which are more easily manageable.

We did kick on, we got good results against a lot of teams. Sunderland was a good performance, Wigan wasn't a bad result considering they are a team that plays to be at their maximum at the business end (also not entirely surprising they beat Emirates Marketing Project in the final). We lost to Liverpool due to stupid mistakes but we performed well on their ground. We got results at the business end, but Arsenal had the slightly easier run and were just a bit better than us unfortunately - their run was ridiculous. Let's not also forget though a strong performance at Stamford Bridge.

Emirates Marketing Project was a sterile game from both teams until we made the change and ramped up the pressure, they didn't know what hit them.

Are you actually countering any specific points as to why you don't believe this is going on within our club, or any club? Do you believe teams should go full pelt all game every game? Do you actually think trying to manage exertions is a sackable offence?

Specifically relating to AVB, in his book there's an awful lot about how he manages a squad with the season in mind.

It's why he believes in 'resting in possession' and then picking off teams in short bursts, subbing wingers for CMs for the last ¼ of matches to completely control possession, and that 2-0 is the perfect result and anything else is expending too much energy. At Porto he was often praised/criticised for starting to prepare for the next match after 60 mins, rather than going on to hammer teams. But then his approach meant they lost once all season across 4 competitions.

Back