• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Penalties

Pirate55

The Last Man Standing 17/18
Seeing Arsenal win their last two games by penalties (in fact their last three goals in the PL have come from pens) and Chelsea getting two penalties yesterday against Villa (albeit one of them missed), it occurred to me that we have not had our fair share of penalties this season and began to wonder why.

Is it perhaps because we do not get enough bodies with the ball in the box?
Is is because our players dont take opponents on enough?
Is it because we dont have players with good close control/tricky dribblers?
Is it because we dont get the ball in the box often enough?
is it because we dont really attack the opposition in their penalty area?

Interested in the thoughts of others as this is a key component of many a top teams getting crucial points and goals at critical times - particularly in tight games.

The question is - Why?

I don't think there's any conspiracy surrounding our lack of penalties this season - it's probably a mixture of factors including not enough players getting into the box to support our strikers, the Bale "diving" factor and just being plain unlucky.

Looking at last year's Premier League stats compared to this year, we're just about half way through the season yet only a third of the number of penalties have been awarded so far compared with 2011-12.

Just a thought. Before looking at the penalties awarded table for this year I asked myself, which teams would I expect to find at the top?

Sure enough, the clubs with the most aggressive / intimidating players and managers are all present and correct: United, Chelsea, City.

I know where you are coming from, but where's that 5-2 away win at Reading (IIRC, none of their five goals were from pen spot)? It may be helpful to get the fact correct.

Hmm...up to 23 Dec? Scum should have at least 3 pens right?

Last edited:
With Bale, Lennon, Defoe and Walker ability to drive into the box we should have won a few pens this year. Not sure why we haven't, harsh reffing or lack of ambition.... But mathematically it doesn't stack up.

Bale and Lennon never make a run in behind. Is always them running with the ball. If they ran in behind more I'm sure we would get more pens. We also don't play the ball down the middle. All about width with us

We need some vim, brio and verve inside the box. Then things happen - goals, penalties, incidents, excitement. Some tame 30 yarders well off target just dont cut it. hence the boredom

Get in there for GHod sake.

Back