• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pele

When I grew up, Pele was like The Beatles - the greatest at what he did. There was little dispute about it. My dad was insistent that Pele was the greatest even as Maradona started to get mentioned in the same breath.

I've no idea how good he really was to make any sort of judgement. The footage of him is impressive but limited. But given what people in the know say about him and the mark he left on the game and beyond, he has to be one of the all time greats.

The GOAT? I'm starting to find that conversation a bit hollow. You can make arguments for so many players and none of those arguments will ever be conclusive. I'm just grateful I've gotten to see the likes of Maradona, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo. Those who also saw a lot of Pele should be grateful for that.

RIP

When I grew up, Pele was like The Beatles - the greatest at what he did. There was little dispute about it. My dad was insistent that Pele was the greatest even as Maradona started to get mentioned in the same breath.

I've no idea how good he really was to make any sort of judgement. The footage of him is impressive but limited. But given what people in the know say about him and the mark he left on the game and beyond, he has to be one of the all time greats.

The GOAT? I'm starting to find that conversation a bit hollow. You can make arguments for so many players and none of those arguments will ever be conclusive. I'm just grateful I've gotten to see the likes of Maradona, Zidane, Messi, Ronaldo. Those who also saw a lot of Pele should be grateful for that.

RIP

Had this conversation the other day in the pub. I just said, just say who your favourite player was. Because asking who the goat is, is impossible. It's an objective question that can only ever be met with a subjective answer.

RIP Pele.

He was one of the biggest reasons I fell in love with football.
He was the reason I dragged my mum down to Soccer scene in Carnaby street to buy the Topper Brazil shirt. His story felt so exotic and romantic an almost mythological creature.
I remember getting football's greatest players on VHS ( I still have it ) and just being in awe that a boy from the streets could not just win the world cup at age 17 but set the tournament on fire.
Thank you Pele for taking football to a level nobody had ever even imagined before he turned up, truly a visionary! ❤

Had this conversation the other day in the pub. I just said, just say who your favourite player was. Because asking who the goat is, is impossible. It's an objective question that can only ever be met with a subjective answer.

The answer is of course generational, for me despite them all being slightly past thier best pele, ali and nicklaus are the greatest sportsmen ever.
Pele and ali in particular transcend their sport in ways that can't be understood today, it's just such a different world.
Nicklaus dominated his sport yet still showed the world that losing sometimes wasn't so bad if you gave your best on the day.

The answer is of course generational, for me despite them all being slightly past thier best pele, ali and nicklaus are the greatest sportsmen ever.
Pele and ali in particular transcend their sport in ways that can't be understood today, it's just such a different world.
Nicklaus dominated his sport yet still showed the world that losing sometimes wasn't so bad if you gave your best on the day.

Not always about generation (but ofcourse it helps)l, jack dempsey is my all time favourite fighter. Just because of his story.

Last edited:

RIP

Yes, the greatest of all time debates get tiresome when people take them too literally. They should be fun debates where we remember some remarkable players and what they could do to entertain us. Anointing one the GOAT is impossible. The fact that all the candidates are attacking players who scored a lot of goals should also be a sign that it's only a subjective matter.

That said, I find it amusing that a couple of weeks ago Messi was being acclaimed as the GOAT because he had finally won a world cup in "greatest ever" final. Pele won three world cups and was nobbled in the other he played in. And he played a starring role: two goals in the 1958 final, a hattrick in the semi-final, a goal and two assists in the 1970 final, including the assist for the Alberto Carlos goal. A case can be made for other players, and I'd add Cruyff and Beckenbauer to the usual suspects, but Pele should never be discounted.

Yes, the greatest of all time debates get tiresome when people take them too literally. They should be fun debates where we remember some remarkable players and what they could do to entertain us. Anointing one the GOAT is impossible. The fact that all the candidates are attacking players who scored a lot of goals should also be a sign that it's only a subjective matter.

That said, I find it amusing that a couple of weeks ago Messi was being acclaimed as the GOAT because he had finally won a world cup in "greatest ever" final. Pele won three world cups and was nobbled in the other he played in. And he played a starring role: two goals in the 1958 final, a hattrick in the semi-final, a goal and two assists in the 1970 final, including the assist for the Alberto Carlos goal. A case can be made for other players, and I'd add Cruyff and Beckenbauer to the usual suspects, but Pele should never be discounted.

Also confused by the fact that the media try to hype what's new in order to make money. They can't say what they are selling isn't as good as the old one.

There is the argument that Pele played most of his career in black and white and can't be as good as the players who always played in colour.

Back