• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paul Mitchell - Head of Recruitment and Analysis

We'll probably get Les Reed from Southampton, that's where we get most of our players and staff from. Reminds me of the years we bought quite a few Wimbledon players to add some heart, bite and elbows.

I don't see Mitchell as a senior Baldini/Monchi kind of guy at all... I seem him as running a team of kids that analyse videos, he then takes their findings up to the next level and discusses them... but he is not that top level guy. I assume/hope his methods and systems have been well drilled into the rest of the team. It is probably a few complex Excel sheets rather than super-advanced stats. It might be more about WHAT TO LOOK FOR rather than difficulty analysing it.

Remember that post on here 2 weeks ago talking about the number of times a players passes it past other players, taking them out of the game... it had a really stupid name that didn't describe that process... but that is the kind of thing I mean.
Prozone analysis is more likely IMO.

The fact that both Mitchell and Mackenzie are going concerns me..... One of them leaving would just be one of the those things (bigger, better offer) but both of them going suggests to me that something else has occurred here.

My even money favorite right now would be a Levy backtrack/term change on the NKoudou deal with the player being one identified by Mitchell/Mackenzie.

Im sorry but this is rubbish

This guy does not come with a HUGE record, his two signings for us of any note are Toby and Wanyama and those were poached jobs from his last role, so what has he done that is fresh at Spurs? Janssen, you can't tell me he spotted a player that no one else looked at after he tore up the league last season, jesus. Alli was a Pleat deal, he pushed the alert button for him as others were sniffing after the Man U game. In fact all the signings including SON came at huge expense, thats not talent spotting, thats just him becoming Comolli.

One question that sticks out for me.......frustrated at Levy for what? Not bank rolling his vision? If he was such a talent spotter these players should be coming in as Kante, Vardy, Maharez etc, he has no signings of that ilk, low prices big impact.

If all he is doing is recommending big names at big prices and getting frustrated at the lack of bank rolling, then he can go.

Going to Leics, not Real Madrid, proves it all
I wouldn't look at it this way at all..... If the person is wanting out then it is more likely to be due to the club not pursuing deals they were recommending. With that in mind it might be better to look at players that we bid for or were in talks with clubs for over the past couple of years but did not land.... Those I can think of are: Martial, NKoudou (so far anyway), Batshuayi, Berahino and perhaps the likes of Malli, Boufal and even Rico Henry. If I was brought into a company to do a specific job and then the company ignored my analysis and recommendations then I would leave too.

I'm not saying that this is the definite reason that we have lost Mitchell (and Mackenzie) just that it is a plausible one.

The fact that both Mitchell and Mackenzie are going concerns me..... One of them leaving would just be one of the those things (bigger, better offer) but both of them going suggests to me that something else has occurred here.

My even money favorite right now would be a Levy backtrack/term change on the NKoudou deal with the player being one identified by Mitchell/Mackenzie.

Thats a different take on this!

If it is because of behind the scenes issues, which is more than plausible tbf, I don't think it would hinge on one deal in particular

That a different take on this!
It is a bit of a 2+2=5 I admit..... It's just that two very unexpected events have occurred in close proximity here. I would imagine that an NKoudou type signing would be one that came from the Mitchell/Mackenzie side of things (a Leicester Mahrez type signing of a player with clear talent who hasn't yet really started to fulfill it)

Thats a different take on this!

Just put this in the NKoudou thread...

Tottenham are killing the Georges Kevin Nkoudou deal
Following on reports from Le Phoceen this morning that detail the way in which Tottenham President Daniel Levy is supposedly killing a deal with Marseille for the transfer of Georges Kevin NKoudou with Clinton N’Jie being set to go the other way, Get French Football News can reveal new details about the saga.

Daniel Levy agreed a deal for the French youth international with Vincent Labrune for €13m plus bonuses, but the moment that Labrune quit his post, Levy went back on the deal, offering around €6m plus incentives in a move that utterly shocked Marseille.

Marseille were astonished – a pre-arranged deal was then renegotiated in bad faith.

New President Giovanni Ciccolunghi was thrust into a delicate situation incredibly quickly, and appears lacks both the contacts and the nous to repair such a deal or even conduct replacement business for the club, hence the appointment of a Sporting Director in Gunter Jacob.

Paul Mitchell, who pushed hard for the signing of Nkoudou, was just as flabbergasted by the perceived unprofessionalism from Tottenham, and it is understood to be a key factor in his departure that was announced just yesterday.

Clinton N’Jie, who was part of the deal and supposed to go the other way, was training with Tottenham Hotspur yesterday.

Marseille have demanded that Levy go back to the original deal on multiple occasions, but Tottenham have so far refused.

The only thing keeping this deal at all alive is that N’Jie continues to see sense in a move to Marseille and N’Koudou to Tottenham.

We are not quite dead in the water here, but we are dangling dangerously close to the edge of the ocean.

If it is because of behind the scenes issues, which is more than plausible tbf, I don't think it would hinge on one deal in particular
It wouldn't hinge on one particular deal.... but you would end up in a scenario where one particular deal ends up being "the straw that breaks the camels back". Again, I'm not saying that IS what has happened here, just throwing it out as a possibility.

Martial(Crazy fee), NKoudou (so far anyway), Batshuayi (known talent went to huge club on hefty fee), Berahino (Attitude risk, no one wants)
You are looking at all of those deals as they are now though....

Right at the start of the summer that Martial went to Man Utd we were talking to Monaco about him.... It was rumoured that they wanted 26 million Euros for him and we got as far as offering 18. After our talks broke down the player ended up signing a new deal at Monaco. It was then at the very end of that summer that he went to Man Utd for such a huge fee (with Monaco being in a position of strength contractually)

Batshuayi - again.... we don't know the full detail. Perhaps the recommendation was that we signed him when the price was lower? last summer for instance or in the January window?

Berahino it is clear that we have moved on from him now. It was last season that we wanted him. But we didn't go in seriously for him until VERY late in the window. If Berahino was an M and/or M recommendation then this probably would've frustrated them as there was a deal to be done for the player.

Again - I am not saying that is what definitely happened, just that it is a possibility.

Last edited:
I would imagine that the Batshuayi recommendation could've been 12 months ago when the transfer fee and wage would've been significantly lower. I don't think it is a secret that we have been in contact with Marseille and the player's representatives for some time so the interest was clearly long standing.

I struggle to believe that - Everything Poch has said since joining points towards him knowing the financial restrictions at the club so I'm sure Mitchel would have been aware of those same restrictions, especially since his job would have revolved heavily around them

Back