• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pau Lopez

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/tottenham-pau-lopez-espanyol
Tottenham offer €2m to buy on-loan goalkeeper Pau López from Espanyol

I just don't get this transfer. He was outstanding for espanyol for an entire season. Young GK. Goes to us, sits on the bench for a year, doesn't play a single match. And then we buy him for 2 mill??! Even though I've never seen him play, it seems like very good business. But why in the world did espanyol loan him to us in the first place, only to sell him to us for pocket money? Madness. Levy must have some sort of hypnotizing skills or something.

I just don't get this transfer. He was outstanding for espanyol for an entire season. Young GK. Goes to us, sits on the bench for a year, doesn't play a single match. And then we buy him for 2 mill??! Even though I've never seen him play, it seems like very good business. But why in the world did espanyol loan him to us in the first place, only to sell him to us for pocket money? Madness. Levy must have some sort of hypnotizing skills or something.
As far as I know they haven't accepted the bid, but even at twice that it makes good value when you compare with City throwing away nearly £40 million on an uncapped Ederson, who is no more than a Bravo ver.1.1

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/01/tottenham-pau-lopez-espanyol
Tottenham offer €2m to buy on-loan goalkeeper Pau López from Espanyol
The London club had the option to buy Pau outright last January for €7m (£6.08m) but they passed it up, largely because they felt that they could get him for less.

levy.jpg

Look into my eyes, look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, not around the eyes, don't look around my eyes, look into my eyes, you're under. We will not pay €7m. Or 6, or 5, or 4, or 3. You will accept €2m. You will tell everyone that I am impossible to negotiate with, but that you also consider me to be your friend. Three, two, one... You're back in the room.

Our rivals must be cr@ping themselves with us signing a reserve keeper and the general ambition which we're showing in the transfer market

Easy to say how good a keeper is in a league Bravo came from. The premier league is a whole different level when it comes to being a keeper.

Not this old chestnut again.....

Generally if the same potential issue keeps being raised on a regular basis by a variety of people then its an indication that there's a semblance of truth in it. My view is that our squad has been performing to >=100% of its potential for the last couple years but that most of our top 6 (could be 7 soon with Everton's increased spend) will be adding a lot more this summer or benefits from managers being through their transitional first season. As a result, we need to fix our weaknesses (lack of depth and pace/creativity in the final third) in order to maintain a similar performance next year

Our rivals must be cr@ping themselves with us signing a reserve keeper and the general ambition which we're showing in the transfer market

Except of course our rivals have no idea right now what we are going to do in the transfer market where it matters to them - i.e. Improving or reinforcing our first 11, because we haven't shown our hand yet. I doubt they have any opinion on this particular transfer at all, except maybe wondering if Levy has pulled off a steal for the future. Lopez is (as you state) a backup/reserve player. It's simply us concluding the purchase of a young player off the back of a loan season. He will no doubt play for the U23s in the EFL Trophy and continue to back up Vorm in other domestic competitions- maybe even be first choice in the League cup early rounds.

It does make me wonder about Luke McGee however. We wouldn't sell him to POSH and they have now bought another keeper. So where does this leave him?

Except of course our rivals have no idea right now what we are going to do in the transfer market where it matters to them - i.e. Improving or reinforcing our first 11, because we haven't shown our hand yet. I doubt they have any opinion on this particular transfer at all, except maybe wondering if Levy has pulled off a steal for the future. Lopez is (as you state) a backup/reserve player. It's simply us concluding the purchase of a young player off the back of a loan season. He will no doubt play for the U23s in the EFL Trophy and continue to back up Vorm in other domestic competitions- maybe even be first choice in the League cup early rounds.

It does make me wonder about Luke McGee however. We wouldn't sell him to POSH and they have now bought another keeper. So where does this leave him?

For McGee, its probably ok - we've often had 3 keepers as have a lot of teams. I'm assuming Vorm will leave this summer if Lopez signs

I'm glad you have confidence in our transfer policy and that no activity so far is down to us not having 'shown our hand yet'! I'm a big Levy fan however have no belief whatsoever that our incomings will be down in time for pre-season as Poch spoke about, nor even in time for the first game....

Back