• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Paris

As we meditate on "our own" sins, as Peter Hitchens rightly calls for I think it might also help in our understanding of why our current enemies act as they do. They're humans like us, but their actions are perhaps easier to understand if compared to someone more similar to ourselves in motivations (and nationality). When I talk about "our own" here, I'm talking about a very broad "the west" perspective. As far as I've known I've not contributed personally to anyone being in Guantanamo or drone strikes over civilians.

First, those choosing to join up with ISIS and other militant groups to fight a war in a different country. This should be the easiest one to understand actually. We've seen the same in many conflicts in the past. George Orwell travelled to Spain to fight in the civil war, many Norwegians went to Finland to join in their struggle against the Soviet Unition during the winter war. Less proudly one can talk about people joining up with nazis and fascicsts from "our own countries". If people see the fight as just enough, young men will leave their comfortable homes behind and join up in the struggle. It's seen as brave when it's for a just cause. The only difference is in what one sees as a just cause.

The terror acts against civilians is harder to fathom perhaps. But again "our" slate is far from clean. In the ever escalating spiral of violence that was WW2 terror bombings of civilian targets became common on both sides. It can be defended morally perhaps when the alternative is the spread and establishment of nazism. It's easier to defend morally in hindsight after the revealation of what the nazis did to the Jews and others they saw as less than human. But again it's a question of the ends justifying the means, and attacks on civilians are far from new, we've seen it throughout history in different forms.

The suicide bombings is where it gets more difficult to understand, for me at least. Not many of those in such a direct fashion in our own history from my knowledge. Though people have certainly fought bravely on both sides of many conflict knowing that death was very likely, if not certain. Again we call it bravery. This to me is where religion really plays a different role. Not only in motivating people, but in justifying even suicide attacks by talks of an afterlife.

Looking at our history also helps put these horrible acts in some kind of a perspective. "We" were reduced to terror bombings of civilians, but it took a lot. It took a vicious, real, existential enemy. Even that enemy could, from what I've read, not degrade "us" into torture though. I think that's worth remembering, as torture has seemingly become common of a much less threathening enemy today. With justifications that probably could have been made in the past, but were not listened to. Is the enemy we face today really worth "terror bombing civilians" (if that's a harsh descriptions of drone strikes it's only so by a fairly slim margin)?

These dingdongheads are not an existential threat to us. The great wars saw losses seen from terrorist acts dwarfed on a daily basis, and brave people persevered. Let's not respond as if they're something more than they really are.

Where I think it has to be admitted that religion plays a real part is in motivating people to these actions that are more or less universally human. At least many people in all cultures would be capable of most of these actions given the right circumstances and motivation. Without religion there's at least a chance of an objective evaluation of a threat and the appropriate response. There can be rationality, though there often isn't. If the ends justify the means can be a sensible discussion based on truth, though too often it's not. To this (potential) discussion religion adds faith, belief without reason, conviction without evidence. I don't think it's helpful and it's irrationality we would be better off without.

One of the things about having a society with no crime is it would have to be an Orwellian police state. The civil liberties and freedoms we love would have to be curtailed or taken away completely. Otherwise stuff like this will happen. It is near impossible to police for acts like this. An individual could be radicalies online via youtube and twitter and desensitised to violence via video games from their bedrooms. How do you stop that without a complete police state? I am not sure stopping religion is the answer, plenty of nutters in hisotry haven't been driven by faith but rather by ideology (fascism, marxism etc..)

One of the things about having a society with no crime is it would have to be an Orwellian police state. The civil liberties and freedoms we love would have to be curtailed or taken away completely. Otherwise stuff like this will happen. It is near impossible to police for acts like this. An individual could be radicalies online via youtube and twitter and desensitised to violence via video games from their bedrooms. How do you stop that without a complete police state? I am not sure stopping religion is the answer, plenty of nutters in hisotry haven't been driven by faith but rather by ideology (fascism, marxism etc..)

Agreed on the impossibility in completely stopping this. Norwegian news said yesterday that the one identified terrorist was being watched by the police/security services and had his file marked "with an S" as a potential threat to national security. He was one of 400.000 people in France with a file marked in this way. How do you keep an eye on that many people to the extent of stopping them? Seems like an impossible task in the kind of society I want to live in.

Plenty of nutters have been driven by non-religious ideologies or ideologies that are only partially religiously based. Most of us would consider those ideologies well worth arguing against and worth limiting to whatever extent that's possible within reasonable means. The presence of those idelogies is far from a reason to not attempt to "stop religion" (you know what I mean).

I would object to the term "nutter" being thrown around here. Marxism and fascism was not only supported by "nutters", and I think the same can be said about religious extremists - both the violent and non-violent kind. Although I understand the wish for labelling the terrorists as nutters as a way of distancing oneself from them (not only because you have a faith that shares a name with theirs by the way). The problem with religion, and some of the ideologies you suggest, is that it makes normal moral human beings do horrible things.

There are "nutters" everywhere. But the "suicide bombing community" is almost exclusively religious. If I was religious I would find that a troubling fact. If there were atrocities almost exclusively committed by atheists I sure would find it a troubling fact.

If I'm reading too much into your use of the word nutter here I apologize. It seems to me to imply that these people are nuts and would do nuts things regardless. I don't think that's the case.

Edit: Put a bit simpler, and in the form of a question: Do you similarly feel that the presence of other ideologies (religious and non-religious) that leads nutters to do horrible things is a reason not to attempt to "stop fascism or marxism"?

Last edited:
Agreed on the impossibility in completely stopping this. Norwegian news said yesterday that the one identified terrorist was being watched by the police/security services and had his file marked "with an S" as a potential threat to national security. He was one of 400.000 people in France with a file marked in this way. How do you keep an eye on that many people to the extent of stopping them? Seems like an impossible task in the kind of society I want to live in.

Plenty of nutters have been driven by non-religious ideologies or ideologies that are only partially religiously based. Most of us would consider those ideologies well worth arguing against and worth limiting to whatever extent that's possible within reasonable means. The presence of those idelogies is far from a reason to not attempt to "stop religion" (you know what I mean).

I would object to the term "nutter" being thrown around here. Marxism and fascism was not only supported by "nutters", and I think the same can be said about religious extremists - both the violent and non-violent kind. Although I understand the wish for labelling the terrorists as nutters as a way of distancing oneself from them (not only because you have a faith that shares a name with theirs by the way). The problem with religion, and some of the ideologies you suggest, is that it makes normal moral human beings do horrible things.

There are "nutters" everywhere. But the "suicide bombing community" is almost exclusively religious. If I was religious I would find that a troubling fact. If there were atrocities almost exclusively committed by atheists I sure would find it a troubling fact.

If I'm reading too much into your use of the word nutter here I apologize. It seems to me to imply that these people are nuts and would do nuts things regardless. I don't think that's the case.

Too much in to nutter, i never thought about it as much as you have.

The person that is calm and sane and commits heinous acts is difficult to understand. All the lone wolf school shooters in the states. Rarely inspired by religion, normally just disaffected and disillisioned. You would find these attributes would apply to many ISIS types, difference being is that the have a movement they can join that makes them believe their actions are holy.

Reactions: DTA
Prett good from Peter Hitchens - http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co...-to-beat-terror-then-calm-down-and-think.html

I apologise for the Daily Mail link

Interesting article, but a lot of which i dont agree with, for instance he talks of the drone killing of jihadi john and says something along the lines of 'now we have done it, if they get drones as well, they will do it to' the truth is if Isis have the ability they would do it anyway. Isis is different from even alqueda or anything that has gone before them, alqueda had demands (even if they were extremely unrealistic) which they claimed if were met they would declare a cease fire. Isis have no such demands they see their destiny as to bring about the apocalypse (or so they say).

Alqueda are bastards as well but Isis in my view at least, are infinitely more dangerous.

But hitchens stop and think outlook is fine as long as after we think we take decisive action.

What we need to do in my humble opinion

1. Seriously derail their ability to recruit. That means take away as many of the arguments that they use to recruit as is possible.
2.cut off the money s~tream by whatever means necessary.
3.back local (muslim) players with cast iron promises of either new nation states (Kurds, Turkmen ) or extention of present states or spheres of influence: Iran perhaps turkey, even if it means letting Asad keep the part of syria that he still occupies (this is mostly an alwaite heartland anyway), in fact anything else will probably see horrible retribution towards the Alwaite community anyway (this means russia will keep its meditarian base as well maybe keeping putin happy to
4 population exchange so the sectarian fault lines that are present at this moment in time wont be an issue in the future and retributions (that we are seeing now already) will be minimised. - this is a horrible solution (some would call it ethnic cleansing by way of population exchange) but we have a horrible problem. This would need to be softened by serious compensation (ie money)
5.after this we need to develop a strategy of non interference unless absolutely necessary see point 1.

This is an extract from an artcile in the guardian:

"Isis is reaching out to fill the void wherever a state of “chaos” or “savagery” (at-tawahoush) exists, as in central Asia and Africa. And where there is insufficient chaos in the lands of the infidel, called “The House of War”, it seeks to create it, as in Europe."

This is a key reason imho why in turkey isis have bombed pro kurdish groups and why they are happy about the renewed violence between the pkk and the Turkish State. They seek devision.

This is also a key reason why @braineclipse and @scaramanga proposing to redicule a religion is an answer to stop terrorism is quite frankly ludicrous. It plays directly in to their hands.... its exactly what they want us to do.

The local players in Syria and Iraq are complex. Just like in Libya, when Ghaddafi went it feel straight in to chaos. Syria would be the same.

Harsh truth but these places can't have democracy so soon after such a brutal war. The people need a good martial law period where stability is in place and then transition to democracy. Problem there is that military rulers tend to get comfy during the transition and do not ever move on.

As we meditate on "our own" sins, as Peter Hitchens rightly calls for I think it might also help in our understanding of why our current enemies act as they do. They're humans like us, but their actions are perhaps easier to understand if compared to someone more similar to ourselves in motivations (and nationality). When I talk about "our own" here, I'm talking about a very broad "the west" perspective. As far as I've known I've not contributed personally to anyone being in Guantanamo or drone strikes over civilians.

First, those choosing to join up with ISIS and other militant groups to fight a war in a different country. This should be the easiest one to understand actually. We've seen the same in many conflicts in the past. George Orwell travelled to Spain to fight in the civil war, many Norwegians went to Finland to join in their struggle against the Soviet Unition during the winter war. Less proudly one can talk about people joining up with nazis and fascicsts from "our own countries". If people see the fight as just enough, young men will leave their comfortable homes behind and join up in the struggle. It's seen as brave when it's for a just cause. The only difference is in what one sees as a just cause.

The terror acts against civilians is harder to fathom perhaps. But again "our" slate is far from clean. In the ever escalating spiral of violence that was WW2 terror bombings of civilian targets became common on both sides. It can be defended morally perhaps when the alternative is the spread and establishment of nazism. It's easier to defend morally in hindsight after the revealation of what the nazis did to the Jews and others they saw as less than human. But again it's a question of the ends justifying the means, and attacks on civilians are far from new, we've seen it throughout history in different forms.

The suicide bombings is where it gets more difficult to understand, for me at least. Not many of those in such a direct fashion in our own history from my knowledge. Though people have certainly fought bravely on both sides of many conflict knowing that death was very likely, if not certain. Again we call it bravery. This to me is where religion really plays a different role. Not only in motivating people, but in justifying even suicide attacks by talks of an afterlife.

Looking at our history also helps put these horrible acts in some kind of a perspective. "We" were reduced to terror bombings of civilians, but it took a lot. It took a vicious, real, existential enemy. Even that enemy could, from what I've read, not degrade "us" into torture though. I think that's worth remembering, as torture has seemingly become common of a much less threathening enemy today. With justifications that probably could have been made in the past, but were not listened to. Is the enemy we face today really worth "terror bombing civilians" (if that's a harsh descriptions of drone strikes it's only so by a fairly slim margin)?

These dingdongheads are not an existential threat to us. The great wars saw losses seen from terrorist acts dwarfed on a daily basis, and brave people persevered. Let's not respond as if they're something more than they really are.

Where I think it has to be admitted that religion plays a real part is in motivating people to these actions that are more or less universally human. At least many people in all cultures would be capable of most of these actions given the right circumstances and motivation. Without religion there's at least a chance of an objective evaluation of a threat and the appropriate response. There can be rationality, though there often isn't. If the ends justify the means can be a sensible discussion based on truth, though too often it's not. To this (potential) discussion religion adds faith, belief without reason, conviction without evidence. I don't think it's helpful and it's irrationality we would be better off without.

I know that quite a few communists from around western Europe have gone to join the Marxist-Leninist Communist Party (MLKP) of Turkey, partly due to ideological belief and also to fight ISIS. A young 19 year old German girl who was fighting with them was actually caught and executed by ISIS.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ivana-hoffmann-german-woman-killed-fighting-isis-in-syria-1.2986784

Interesting article, but a lot of which i dont agree with, for instance he talks of the drone killing of jihadi john and says something along the lines of 'now we have done it, if they get drones as well, they will do it to' the truth is if Isis have the ability they would do it anyway. Isis is different from even alqueda or anything that has gone before them, alqueda had demands (even if they were extremely unrealistic) which they claimed if were met they would declare a cease fire. Isis have no such demands they see their destiny as to bring about the apocalypse (or so they say).

Alqueda are bastards as well but Isis in my view at least, are infinitely more dangerous.

But hitchens stop and think outlook is fine as long as after we think we take decisive action.

What we need to do in my humble opinion

1. Seriously derail their ability to recruit. That means take away as many of the arguments that they use to recruit as is possible.
2.cut off the money s~tream by whatever means necessary.
3.back local (muslim) players with cast iron promises of either new nation states (Kurds, Turkmen ) or extention of present states or spheres of influence: Iran perhaps turkey, even if it means letting Asad keep the part of syria that he still occupies (this is mostly an alwaite heartland anyway), in fact anything else will probably see horrible retribution towards the Alwaite community anyway (this means russia will keep its meditarian base as well maybe keeping putin happy to
4 population exchange so the sectarian fault lines that are present at this moment in time wont be an issue in the future and retributions (that we are seeing now already) will be minimised. - this is a horrible solution (some would call it ethnic cleansing by way of population exchange) but we have a horrible problem. This would need to be softened by serious compensation (ie money)
5.after this we need to develop a strategy of non interference unless absolutely necessary see point 1.

Can you give any examples of al qaeda ordering a ceasefire, DTA?

Can you give any examples of al qaeda ordering a ceasefire, DTA?

I didnt say they did.... did i? Im saying that Isis are even worse then them because (supposedly) isis' ultimate aim is the end of the world.

Alqueda are horrible despicable abhorrent. Isis are even worse in my opinion

On the religion thing I'm pretty much with @scaramanga. You can't change those who are already religious, but the way forward is future generations.

There's this flawed notion that religion is about you're beliefs as a person. It's got absolutely fudge all to do with that. If you are brought up in a religious family, nothing else determines what religion you are than the religion of your parents/where you were born. That's literally all there is to it.

Religion gives these dingdongheads something to hide behind. In the current world these people are described as 'Jihadists' which almost suggests there some kind of justifiable 'cause' behind their behaviour. In a world where religion doesn't exist they become known as 'murdering terrorist dingdongheads' which is all that they are.

On the religion thing I'm pretty much with @scaramanga. You can't change those who are already religious, but the way forward is future generations.

There's this flawed notion that religion is about you're beliefs as a person. It's got absolutely fudge all to do with that. If you are brought up in a religious family, nothing else determines what religion you are than the religion of your parents/where you were born. That's literally all there is to it.

Religion gives these dingdongheads something to hide behind. In the current world these people are described as 'Jihadists' which almost suggests there some kind of justifiable 'cause' behind their behaviour. In a world where religion doesn't exist they become known as 'murdering terrorist dingdongheads' which is all that they are.

I like the idea of calling them murdering terrorist dingdongheads instead of jihadists. And thats a serious point... maybe changing the language that we use is part (a small part) of defeating them, obviously have to get the muslim community on board with this, use a term that will reasonate within thecommunity

I like the idea of calling them murdering terrorist dingdongheads instead of jihadists. And thats a serious point... maybe changing the language that we use is part (a small part) of defeating them, obviously have to get the muslim community on board with this, use a term that will reasonate within thecommunity

I would even go so far as to replace terrorist with murderer as I think the term terrorist has become desensitised to a certain extent.

yeah drop terrorist and refer to them as standard domestic criminals

take away the news cycle

Too much in to nutter, i never thought about it as much as you have.

The person that is calm and sane and commits heinous acts is difficult to understand. All the lone wolf school shooters in the states. Rarely inspired by religion, normally just disaffected and disillisioned. You would find these attributes would apply to many ISIS types, difference being is that the have a movement they can join that makes them believe their actions are holy.

As my edit was apparently after you started writing your reply:

Do you similarly feel that the presence of other ideologies (religious and non-religious) that leads nutters to do horrible things is a reason not to attempt to "stop fascism or marxism"?

This is an extract from an artcile in the guardian:

"Isis is reaching out to fill the void wherever a state of “chaos” or “savagery” (at-tawahoush) exists, as in central Asia and Africa. And where there is insufficient chaos in the lands of the infidel, called “The House of War”, it seeks to create it, as in Europe."

This is a key reason imho why in turkey isis have bombed pro kurdish groups and why they are happy about the renewed violence between the pkk and the Turkish State. They seek devision.

This is also a key reason why @braineclipse and @scaramanga proposing to redicule a religion is an answer to stop terrorism is quite frankly ludicrous. It plays directly in to their hands.... its exactly what they want us to do.

You're assuming that the division created by our words leads to the actual chaos they want and thrive in. I really don't think this can be asserted without reason or evidence and be taken seriously.

I don't see it like that. Quite the opposite, a society, culture or sub-culture that is insulated from criticsm is a very dangerous thing. Pretty much regardless of how that insulation arises. But particularly if someone attempts to insulate themselves from any kind of criticism by threatening violence the reaction shouldn't be less of the criticism.

We want to move forward. We don't want to appease the extremists, because we cannot accept all their demands. Giving in to their threats by treating them and their faith with a reverence not given everyone else (and they certainly don't give anyone else) is exactly the opposite of moving forward.

I really think a lot of the extremist groups are very happy about moderates self-censoring themselves, largely out of fear of causing more violence. Sam Harris talks about his rather well in his latest podcast (http://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/still-sleepwalking-toward-armageddon)

Also on his latest podcast Sam Harri repeated some earlier claims also made in this article: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/sleepwalking-toward-armageddon

To put it as briefly as I think I can while being fair, one fact is presented and one opinion:

The fact: Saudi cleric Mohammad Al-Areefi has over 13 million followers on twitter (updated number from the article that is a year old). He has twice the number of followers on twitter that the pope has.
The opinion: Mohammad Al-Areefi sounds like the ISIS army chaplain.

I must say right out I'd never heard of the guy before listening to the podcast. A very quick google seems to at least support a claim that he's made some rather... controversial statements.

Is the description/opinion from Sam Harris correct? If it is the sheer amount of followers seems to me somewhat troubling for anyone claiming that only the extremists are the problem and that they are a small minority.

For the record Sam Harris argues repeatedly that there is a problem with Islam itself, not just the extremists. The article gives a fair representation of his opinions for anyone interested.

The local players in Syria and Iraq are complex. Just like in Libya, when Ghaddafi went it feel straight in to chaos. Syria would be the same.

Harsh truth but these places can't have democracy so soon after such a brutal war. The people need a good martial law period where stability is in place and then transition to democracy. Problem there is that military rulers tend to get comfy during the transition and do not ever move on.

I think a much better plan, and evidence driven thinking, is needed in troubled areas when "the West"/NATO or the UN get involved. And one of the pieces of evidence seems to be that a quick transition to democracy is difficult.

I've asked you before, but this thread grows very quickly and it's difficult to keep track. How do you imagine a post-Saddam Iraq would have looked without the outside military intervention? Are there any reasons to think it wouldn't have ended in just as much chaos, or with another military ruler getting comfortable over decades while the people suffer?

@braineclipse if you are advocating diresion and mockery of terrorists im with you i truely am, this would be more affective if it came from or jointly with the muslim community though.

What i dont agree with at all is the mocking of the belief of 1.6 billion people. Thats going to lead to more division, more people thinking the west is against them and ultimately make it easier for Isis and the like to recruit. I dont want to make it easier for them. I want to make it harder for them.

They want us to alienate the muslim community, through (although not exclusively) mocking of their faith. they want the far right to start attacking mosques and muslims in the west. This Chaos and division is part of their gameplan, i want to counter it not play in to their hands.

None of this is to say that Islam or any other religion cant or shouldnt be subject to criticism when needed and in balanced and non insulting way. Of course it should. But mockery is not critic it an l insult, and its not even insult at what should be the target (Isis).

Also on his latest podcast Sam Harri repeated some earlier claims also made in this article: http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/sleepwalking-toward-armageddon

To put it as briefly as I think I can while being fair, one fact is presented and one opinion:

The fact: Saudi cleric Mohammad Al-Areefi has over 13 million followers on twitter (updated number from the article that is a year old). He has twice the number of followers on twitter that the pope has.
The opinion: Mohammad Al-Areefi sounds like the ISIS army chaplain.

I must say right out I'd never heard of the guy before listening to the podcast. A very quick google seems to at least support a claim that he's made some rather... controversial statements.

Is the description/opinion from Sam Harris correct? If it is the sheer amount of followers seems to me somewhat troubling for anyone claiming that only the extremists are the problem and that they are a small minority.

For the record Sam Harris argues repeatedly that there is a problem with Islam itself, not just the extremists. The article gives a fair representation of his opinions for anyone interested.

Thats an interesting article but with way to many points for me to just pick out. Is there any points (if you have the time or inclination) that you would like to discuss?

@braineclipse if you are advocating diresion and mockery of terrorists im with you i truely am, this would be more affective if it came from or jointly with the muslim community though.

What i dont agree with at all is the mocking of the belief of 1.6 billion people. Thats going to lead to more division, more people thinking the west is against them and ultimately make it easier for Isis and the like to recruit. I dont want to make it easier for them. I want to make it harder for them.

They want us to alienate the muslim community, through (although not exclusively) mocking of their faith. they want the far right to start attacking mosques and muslims in the west. This Chaos and division is part of their gameplan, i want to counter it not play in to their hands.

None of this is to say that Islam or any other religion cant or shouldnt be subject to criticism when needed and in balanced and non insulting way. Of course it should. But mockery is not critic it an l insult, and its not even insult at what should be the target (Isis).

Just to be clear. You're saying that derision and mockery from the outside contributes to extremist recruitment in a meaningful way and is a reason why one should avoid criticm that can be interpreted and used in that way?

As I've stated repeatedly I'm not talking about actively going out of my way to mock the beliefs of all Muslims just for the sake of it. There are a handful of people doing that that have gotten media attention as far as I can remember. They're not atheists and I wouldn't support their actions even if they were.

But should Islam be an appropriate topic for jokes and humour? Of course. Will some take that as mocking or ridicule? Probably. Is that a reason to stop? No.

You simply cannot criticise a religion without insulting some people. I compare mythology to modern religion, some people (most of them not violent) will see that as insulting. I say that faith is belief in the absence of evidence and irrational, some people see that as insulting. I say that the vatican protects child rapists and that makes their organization evil, some people see that as insulting. I say that people who ostracize their children because of their sexual orientation are fudging dingdongheads and people see that as insulting. Even though they're clearly fudging dingdongheads.

Any valid and extensive criticism of a wide ranging world view will raise emotions. There will be people who are offended. fudge me. People are currently claiming that they're offended by red cups... Asking for criticism to be limited to only that which cannot be seen as offensive, divisive or ridicule is the same as asking for a lot less criticism. To me it seems paramount to asking for self-imposed blasphemy censorthip.

Back