• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Overpriced concept

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
Is it just me who struggles to understand the mentality of many football fans regarding 'overpriced' tags for players who are not for sale?

I've noticed that Chelsea have apparently had a £20m bid turned down for Everton's Stones. The feedback to this news story, as written by many fans, was that Stones was crazily overpriced.

The assumption taken here is that people feel that Stones should be valued at less than £20m; this based on Everton's rejection of the fee.

What I want to know is why people assume that just by paying a set fee, a club should then automatically sell one of their best players. Why should this happen? Maybe Everton don't want to sell Stones irrespective of the sum offered by a potential buyer. So how does this then make Stones overpriced?!

It's the same with Kane. Fans talk about how overpriced Kane is when a fee of £40m+ is discussed. Again, Kane isn't for sale. So surely a value is irrelevant? High fees are quoted based on mere speculation. It's nonsense.

It's the line that people take to suggest that when a fee reaches a set amount, that that player should be sold on, that is the biggest concern. That point seems to be the trigger for the fans then stating that the player is overpriced. What's wrong with a club wanting to keep hold of a player, and so dismissing all bids? Are we suddenly in a buyers market where all players are to be sold once the fee reaches point x?

Is it just me who struggles to understand the mentality of many football fans regarding 'overpriced' tags for players who are not for sale?

I've noticed that Chelsea have apparently had a £20m bid turned down for Everton's Stones. The feedback to this news story, as written by many fans, was that Stones was crazily overpriced.

The assumption taken here is that people feel that Stones should be valued at less than £20m; this based on Everton's rejection of the fee.

What I want to know is why people assume that just by paying a set fee, a club should then automatically sell one of their best players. Why should this happen? Maybe Everton don't want to sell Stones irrespective of the sum offered by a potential buyer. So how does this then make Stones overpriced?!

It's the same with Kane. Fans talk about how overpriced Kane is when a fee of £40m+ is discussed. Again, Kane isn't for sale. So surely a value is irrelevant? High fees are quoted based on mere speculation. It's nonsense.

It's the line that people take to suggest that when a fee reaches a set amount, that that player should be sold on, that is the biggest concern. That point seems to be the trigger for the fans then stating that the player is overpriced. What's wrong with a club wanting to keep hold of a player, and so dismissing all bids? Are we suddenly in a buyers market where all players are to be sold once the fee reaches point x?
That case holds if there is nobody else in the bracket available to that club for that money.

Bale is a good example. There's no way in the world, even with £300M to spend that we could have replaced Bale because that kind of player doesn't come to clubs like us (at that stage in their career). So Bale could never have been overpriced at any price.

If, for example, we were to refuse a bid for Kaboul at £15M that would be overpricing him because we could go out to the open market and buy a much better player with that £15M.

Its a tough call really, I suppose I see it from the point that everything is overpriced in football from wages to tickets to food to transfer fees.

But as that is how it is, when you put the money that is in football then players at 20m today are the same as 2m back in the 90s, its just how money in football has gone....based on that 20m for stones is market value

I suppose it comes down to how much a club is willing to pay for a player. But yes, I do believe a lot of players are overpriced and clubs do pay over the odds for players. Sterling at £49m for example, he has not warranted that fee in the slightest, neither did Bale at £85m.

Back