• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our Squad Qaulity

I think our squad is very strong - definitely in the top 4 in the league. In Lloris, Kaboul, Dembele, Parker, Bale and Ade we had more than half our best 11 not playing.

Add Moutinho and proper cover/competition for Ade and we'd be getting on for title challengers.

As I keep saying, you can't judge Sig or Dempsey until they are used alongside Ade. It's impossible to be a #10 when there's no centre forward to play off. Even Rafa could never play off Defoe.

This

I do think it needs to be over for gallas.
But caulker will need experience and leadership next to him. Maybe now naughton is fit, verts can go bk to cb.

Someone said walker isnt premier lge quality. Thats ridiculous. He is, however, a young player with a high profile. He needs to knuckle down and work on his positioning and defending. No different to any other youngster.

Sig and Dempsey, not sure what to make of. That said, Dempsey folllowed in excellently today. If cechs handling hadnt been so good, especially 2nd half,
Dempsey would have had 2 goals.

I do think we need to put lloris in. His style of goalkeeping will be a massive bonus, like that of hart and cech.(At

Also, Townsend needs to be bales backup. Would keep tactical consistency and give the rb a problem.

That was me. How many goals has this clown cost us so far. He is the least skilled player in the first team squad and offers nothing apart from his pace. Is there another player named Walker who you have been watching?:ross:

I agree with that tbh but Defoe is playing very well generally and put in another good shift. The only way Ade plays now is if he plays in the role behind Defoe ahead of sig and Dempsey and after Sigurddson's second half perfromace i'd stick with him vs Southampton.

Sometimes you have to make decisions for the greater good/balance of the team though.

Playing without a centre forward is handicapping us because it
1) Nullfies our #10s/AM who naturally feed off them (Sig and Dempsey)
2) Largely nullfies our wide players, as there's never a crossing option in the box
3) Puts extra pressure on our defence because there's never an outlet or someone to retain possession up the field for us

I'd start Ade in the next match and pray that he puts in a performance to claim the shirt for good.

I know today's defeat is painful to accept but at the same time I feel we need to be realistic about our squad qaility in comparison to our Top 4 competitors. We had a decent transfer window but also lost key units and failed to bring in our no.1 target, imv - Moutinho. Let's keep perspective of that.

Chelsea have many top class players and often 2 competing for the same position! - they're superior in terms of quality to almost all of our starting 11 - especially today with Bale and Dembele out.

Without those 2 we were down to Sandro, Lennon, and Verts in terms of players who are of some quality as opposed to above average units like much the rest. We lost VdV and Modric who were class players for us and now have Sigurdsson and Dempsey. And while the former holds some potential due to his age - it is completely unrealistic to expect similar peformances from them, especially for Sig yet. Demspey is who he has always been. As for the rest - that is who we have, can't do much about it at least until January

A good manager would have a team playing better than the sum of their parts - much like Moyes has been doing for years and much like I truly believe AVB would do with us.

But for fudge's sake - if we lose to Chelsea doesn't mean we are brick and players need to be told to 'get the fudge off the pitch', that is embrassaing, guys and makes us looks like fickle tossers! - our opponents were simply bettter than us and sometimes we need to accept that and move on. Until our new stadium is built and CL is a semi (at least) regularity - the Hazards and Matas would be just-about signings for us.

Let's stay positive and keep persepctive of where we are in comparison to the other Top Teams in terms of squad quality

COYS

Agreed. We could / should won today if we had Bale & Dembele. And that is without Kabol, BAE & Parker

We don't have the first class players backing up the starters that Chelsea and City do but we compare well with the others, including Arsenal and United. We have lost some of our quality backups, notably Corluka and Kranjcar. Instead we are giving young players a chance, so hopefully long-term this will pay off. In the mean time, with Walker, Caulker and Livermore (plus Townsend) there will be the mistakes of youth.

Today we were without Bale, Dembele, Kaboul, Assou-Ekotto and Parker, while we are still adjusting to the loss of Modric, RvdV and King. With Adebayor and Lloris still to become an integral part of this season's team, returns from injury and gelling as a team we can reasonably hope to get better as the season goes on.

As for six-goal games against Chelsea we did better than last time. A 3-3 draw at the Bridge and FA Cup revenge will complete the trend.

I know today's defeat is painful to accept but at the same time I feel we need to be realistic about our squad qaility in comparison to our Top 4 competitors. We had a decent transfer window but also lost key units and failed to bring in our no.1 target, imv - Moutinho. Let's keep perspective of that.

Chelsea have many top class players and often 2 competing for the same position! - they're superior in terms of quality to almost all of our starting 11 - especially today with Bale and Dembele out.

Without those 2 we were down to Sandro, Lennon, and Verts in terms of players who are of some quality as opposed to above average units like much the rest. We lost VdV and Modric who were class players for us and now have Sigurdsson and Dempsey. And while the former holds some potential due to his age - it is completely unrealistic to expect similar peformances from them, especially for Sig yet. Demspey is who he has always been. As for the rest - that is who we have, can't do much about it at least until January

A good manager would have a team playing better than the sum of their parts - much like Moyes has been doing for years and much like I truly believe AVB would do with us.

But for fudge's sake - if we lose to Chelsea doesn't mean we are brick and players need to be told to 'get the fudge off the pitch', that is embrassaing, guys and makes us looks like fickle tossers! - our opponents were simply bettter than us and sometimes we need to accept that and move on. Until our new stadium is built and CL is a semi (at least) regularity - the Hazards and Matas would be just-about signings for us.

Let's stay positive and keep persepctive of where we are in comparison to the other Top Teams in terms of squad quality

COYS

Tremendous post Arcy, on the money. I always felt AVB wants us to be in a place where we can ride the loss of players such as Bale and Dembele because the system is paramount. For me, Levy has to give him a couple more toys in the window, but equally much of today's defeat rests on individual errors. But I will say that once again, Sigurdsson failed to deliver in a position which is absolutely vital to the side the way we play. For me it cost us the entire first-half. I am looking for signs of life, in fact even a flicker would be good, but he is simply far too conservative given the role he should be playing. I would love to see a stat, but to my eyes, three quarters of the balls he received today ended up going backwards. I obviously understand this in some situations, but equally, given that he was playing in the hole, he simply has to try and spin away and create more too. That requires some bravery and character. I think he's quite a timid sort from what I can see, and he needs to be much more than that.

But there is great life and development going on at this club IMHO, furthermore, there is great truth in saying that the two players out today would've made a massive difference.

agreed. Hopefuly no one will start having lengthy digs at freidel, dempsey, siggy or walker.

its a team sport...rise or fall it should be done as a unit

Oops. I failed on the Sig count. Trust me though, I desperately want to be proven wrong, desperately.

I think our squad is very strong - definitely in the top 4 in the league. In Lloris, Kaboul, Dembele, Parker, Bale and Ade we had more than half our best 11 not playing.

Add Moutinho and proper cover/competition for Ade and we'd be getting on for title challengers.

As I keep saying, you can't judge Sig or Dempsey until they are used alongside Ade. It's impossible to be a #10 when there's no centre forward to play off. Even Rafa could never play off Defoe.

I se your point, but I think what I'd like to see from Sig is more character, a little more brass in his boots. He was playing a position which is of paramount importance in the system we play, and I think he needs to show more 'front' in it. Of course confidence has a lot to do with it I'm sure; if one of his two excellent chances had flown in, it might well have developed into a commanding day for him. Again, absolutely begging he proves me wrong by easter, but I just have a feeling he won't...

That was me. How many goals has this clown cost us so far. He is the least skilled player in the first team squad and offers nothing apart from his pace. Is there another player named Walker who you have been watching?:ross:

I agree he needs to. Improve. Especially. Positionally as he relies too much. On his recovery ability.

He would be in many prem sides however.
Which sides would he not get in? Obviously man c and Chelsea. Prob bk up at man u and arse.

The others....?

Lloris, Kaboul, Ekotto, Parker, Dembele, Bale, Adebayor

None of those started today and at least 5 of them should be, we gave Chelsea a good game but we can't afford to be missing a group of important players for games like this, Chelsea were at full strength bar Terry and even then I'm not sure there's a great deal between him and the other two CBs.

Why didnt levy and AVB fight to keep Rafa? Instead he brought in Siguardsson who looks way way out of his depth, Rafa would have bagged a few of the chances that came Siguardsson way today. And also not replacing Modric with Mourthino. I think levy might have cost us a top 4 position in my opinion. We're not far off the Goons who are the 4th best side in the league but we could be better if we had had a better summer window. Maybe he can save it in Jan if we can bring in a couple.

Why didnt levy and AVB fight to keep Rafa? Instead he brought in Siguardsson who looks way way out of his depth, Rafa would have bagged a few of the chances that came Siguardsson way today. And also not replacing Modric with Mourthino. I think levy might have cost us a top 4 position in my opinion. We're not far off the Goons who are the 4th best side in the league but we could be better if we had had a better summer window. Maybe he can save it in Jan if we can bring in a couple.

Because Rafa wanted to leave.

Because Sig looked like the real deal at the time.

Because the Mout deal was either too expensive or because we didn't have time to complete it.

It's all been covered already.

Last edited:
I do think it needs to be over for gallas.
But caulker will need experience and leadership next to him. Maybe now naughton is fit, verts can go bk to cb.

Someone said walker isnt premier lge quality. Thats ridiculous. He is, however, a young player with a high profile. He needs to knuckle down and work on his positioning and defending. No different to any other youngster.

Sig and Dempsey, not sure what to make of. That said, Dempsey folllowed in excellently today. If cechs handling hadnt been so good, especially 2nd half,
Dempsey would have had 2 goals.

I do think we need to put lloris in. His style of goalkeeping will be a massive bonus, like that of hart and cech.(At

Also, Townsend needs to be bales backup. Would keep tactical consistency and give the rb a problem.

Fully agree with all of the above mentioned, perhaps with the exception of the part regarding Dempsey. Keeping Dempsey in the team will probably give a good few goals along the road, but it's very worringly that he can totally disappear for lentghy periods of a game.

Walker has all the right skills required for developing into a quality full back. His sometimes poor positioning and decison making have let him down a lot lately, but this is luckily something that probably will be greatly improved with getting more experience. Dempsey's lack of pace, technique and creativity is not something he'll suddenly develop at the age of 29.

We have a great squad. Yes we have lost some quality players in Modric and VDV, but King was losing it for over a year and we have Added Vertonghen and Dembele who are start in the making and got Caulker coming through the ranks. The thing we are missing is a Dembele alternative. Like when we had modric, we never had a like for liek for him. We need another ball playing midfielder who is good at keeping possesion and creating chances. ITs not coincedence that Chelsea have had all our targets. OScar, Hazard and Mata have all been on on wanted list. We need to get in an Isco or Moutinhio so we have more options. I felt we could lose Bale today, but was more worried about us losing Dembele.

No he wasn't...King until he got that injury in training was our best player up to February!

Agree with this. When everyone is fit, we have good cover for most positions - except probably Ade. A top quality playmaker ala Moutinho would be a massive squad boost.

I think Dempsey has been disappointing for us this season. As far as Sig is concerned, imo it is a question of confidence. He got into some great positions today but just didnt have his shooting boots on. That was typified by his free kick in the second half which lacked any committment. Given a run in the side and a goal for his confidence- I am really hopeful he will come good.

agree with quality but still some gaps needs to be addressed, though it has been a big improvement over last season.

what do you think our priorities are in Jan:
1. creative CM
2. backup RB
3. backup LB
4. LM: bring back Rose?

Bringing these in would mean shipping out permanently some that we still have on the books e.g. Dawson, a couple of keepers etc.

Given only deadwood will be shipped out in the near future, I think the following is what the squad needs to be complete:

1: Creative CM with good work rate that can dicatate the game from deep.
Targets in ranked order: Moutinho, Isco and Clasie (the dutch playmaker from Feyenoord)

2: An upgrade on Sigurdsson and Dempsey for the extremely vital role as the player in the hole. Would be ideal if he has pace, so he can be utilised on either wing as a like for like cover for Lennon and Bale.
Targets in ranked order: Willian, Ben Arfa (if possible). Haven't seen enough of Mertens, Draxler or Maher to know if they fit the bill.

3: A striker who can play as a lone striker and compete with Adebayor and Defoe.
Targets in ranked order: Llorente, Leandro, Lewandowski, Demba Ba.

Defensively I think we're sorted. I know there's only BAE for the left back position, but Vertonghen, Naughton and Bale against lesser teams can fill in.

The january transfer window has proven difficult over the past, but these positions are IMO what need to be strengthended in the current squad, before it is realistic to consider challenging the top teams.

Last edited:
agree with quality but still some gaps needs to be addressed, though it has been a big improvement over last season.

what do you think our priorities are in Jan:
1. creative CM
2. backup RB
3. backup LB
4. LM: bring back Rose?

Bringing these in would mean shipping out permanently some that we still have on the books e.g. Dawson, a couple of keepers etc.

1. Ballplaying CM (Moutinho or alternative)
2. Backup #9 (Leandro or alternative)
3. Back-up LB (Zeki Fryers)

Bentley, Jenas and Gomes will hopefully free up space for them.

Back