• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our scouting network

Re: Broomfield

My understanding is that it is quite often people involved in youth teams that tip off professional clubs about players.

Another point on this.........

Based on personal experience of my sons age group (under 15 this season), and from info given to me from elsewhere about a certain North london football club:

There are, despite the FAs attempts at development, still scouts/coaches out there who will only consider youngsters who are way above average height/build/strength, regardless of their football skills.
Children of average build or below, who have un-doubted ball skill and talent, are being overlooked.

Personally I find that disgraceful.

I presume you mean us. I can't believe AVB would stand for that.

Surprised any perm teams would still believe that's the way forward.

My understanding is that it is quite often people involved in youth teams that tip off professional clubs about players.

Yes this is very common. Frequently there is some prior connection between the clubs to start with and the youth players gets introduced to the buying clubs that way. Though this isn't always the case.

There was a kid (9) at my club who went for trials at Barca no less and somehow managed to get picked out of 400 other kids for their academy. No prior connection to the club, just went for a trial and was that good.

I think there has been or is a changing attitude. Some of the people running youth football are putting more emphasis on technical skill and moving the ball on the ground rather than lumping it to the big kid. There was a thread on here (a previous incarnation) about the ideas of someone at Spurs, talking about his philosophy. I think it was an interview by a poster here. It made a lot of sense but it will take time for the new attitude to prevail. I saw something by someone in a similar position at Liverpool promoting a similar philosophy although they fired him.

Edit: The interview was with John McDermott, the Academy Manager, by Bankrupt.

Last edited:

I disagree with a few points here, joey

The notion suggesting every single half-decent youngster out there is already spotted and on the 'books' of some scouts is not entirely true, imv - as Crawley's personal experience examples further illustrated.

What is the premise here - good 'scouting' comes down to who has the funds to secure the deal? Perhaps that is the case in proven players such as Mata, Cazorla, and Jones (your examples) - but those are already senior proven units - no scouting beyond contacting their respective agents is required in those cases.

As for the Harry sound-bite - he also said we were after Tevez and Torres. Unrealistic targets is different to spotting young talent (even Modric can be considered such a 'steal' because he was relatively unknown at the time) - so I'm not quite sure what that reference has to do with the debate of good scouting.

United signed Henriquez, Hernandez over the last 2 years from South America

Chelsea brought it Piazon, Davilla, and Oscar from the same parts of the world

Bar Oscar - I'm not sure more than 10% of this board knew who those players were and I'm 99% certain they weren't on every clubs scouting list.

Another club which has great international networks if FC Porto - over the last decade years they have brought in some remarkable names (and later sold them for massive profits!)

Have a look at this - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/fc-porto/transfers-alle/verein_720.html

Again I think you are being overly critical of our recruitment and not being fair comparative with other clubs. You mention Man Utd signed Hernandez, but is he even really good enough to start for us? Also during the three year period I mentioned in my original post, Utd signed only Hernandez and De Gea who came from foreign leagues and made an impact. We signed VDV and Sandro during that period. So yes, Utd signed good players from abroad, but only 2 were relatively successful and no more than our signing from foreign leagues. Let's not forget they do have significant advantages as well, so when you take this into account, you have to say those responsible for bringing in players to our club are doing pretty well.

The players you mention for Chelsea, only one is playing in their first team, so we don't know if the others will prove better buys than the players we've bought and are yet to play for us. Everyone knows we tried to buy Oscar and Moutinho. It's just a lot harder for us. If you look at Arsenals foreign signings they brought in Arshavin, Vermaelen, Squillaci, Koscielny, Chamakh, Mertesacker, Santos, Chu-Young and Gervinho. Only two (highlighted) of those really show any value from shopping abroad, which again is the same number as our successful foreign buys. So again, objectively you have to look at it and say we are doing pretty well. The key difference is we can't afford to go out and gamble so often. When we buy we have to make sure we get it right more often than not. We might not have ventured into the foreign market as much as Arsenal, but we got the same number of hits as they did.

There was an article written a while ago on how the Modric deal came about. We were just one of a number of clubs who made offers for him including Ajax, Saudi Sportswashing Machine and HSV. We really didn't discover anything, Levy was just brilliant in getting the deal done. It wasn't as if the other teams rejected him and the top sides wanted to see him at a higher level. They did and then took him off us. But also you have to remember at the time of signing Modric, he was a lot of money for us and our central midfield at the time was Zokora and Jenas. So much like Saudi Sportswashing Machine with the signing of Cabaye, it wasn't as if he wasn't going to be an obvious upgrade on what we had at the time. But now if we look to buy players, especially for record fees, we need to be sure they are an improvement on a far higher standard of player than found at the club when we bought Modric. Hernandez could be seen as an example of that. He's mainly an impact player or occasional starter who last season scored 10 goals in 1476 mins. But Defoe fulfills a similar role for us and he scored 11 goals in 1287 minutes.

There is no point buying players for the sake of it. We need to buy players who can take us up a level and with our wages and transfer budget, improving on the very good squad of players we already have is very tough. I think our fans need to recognize this a bit more and credit the good job we are doing. We brought in some very good players again this summer and would have liked others, but it's really difficult.

The Porto comparison is totally unfair. The logistics of bring in top South American talent for Portuguese clubs is infinitely more favourable. More than anything they see the Portugal as the ideal stepping stone into Europe. We can't compare our recruitment with those of big clubs in lesser leagues, as I said before. I remember a few years ago it was fashionable to suggest we need to copy the Ajax model, which was ridiculous given the totally different environments the two clubs are operating in.

Last edited:

both very good posts from Joey and Crawley.

Sorry to take this off-topic, but Joey, do you have a blog/write for a fanzine etc or summat? If not, you really should think about doing one!

Thanks for the compliment. I have actually thought about a blog, but never got round to it.

I just read in Four Four Two that AVB used FM as a scouting tool during his first spell at Chelsea... lol

I honestly don't see much wrong with that. A while ago FM or CM was the best tool around for keeping track of where players are and their ages etc. The database was really good and quick to use. I doubt he means he scouted them by playing FM.

And that is why in 20 years time England would still be technically outclassed by mediocre foobtall countries at Wembley and would instead rely on long punts to some fudging bean-pole upfront

Things are changing. All sorts of developments at grass roots level.

From compulsory small pitches and small sided games to the new Elite Player Development Programme, the emphasis will be a far cry from what it once was.

Even more crucial, IMO, will be the FA's new St George's Park development centre at Burton. Its primary function will be to develop far more coaches than we currently have in England and for those coaches to be of a far higher standard.

It will effect the most important change to grass roots football in this country.

Many clubs use FM and actually pay a 'licence' fee for it annualy - massive tool, especially for its extensive database

Based on personal experience of my sons age group (under 15 this season), and from info given to me from elsewhere about a certain North london football club:

There are, despite the FAs attempts at development, still scouts/coaches out there who will only consider youngsters who are way above average height/build/strength, regardless of their football skills.
Children of average build or below, who have un-doubted ball skill and talent, are being overlooked.

i wonder if there would be money to be made if someone addressed this situation by opening/running their own independent football academy and put focus more on technique than strength/physicality - there seems to be, as you mention a lack of focus on this side of the game at a 'grass roots' level. If the FA don't want to put the effort in to addressing it themselves im sure someone with a bit of know how could make a decent impact on the game - it'd only take two or three youngsters going on to a decent level before it'd get some recognition and then some financial backing with the possibility of growth

Shame, we could do with a few more Sandros being signed.

One decent find and he should get a job for life? I don't know how good he is as a scout, but talent spotting in the Brazilian league isn't THAT hard.

Thats a bit worrying, my nephew has been playing for a local team for the past 2 years, in March he was 7. He has an older brother, but unfortunatley isn't really interested, but is pushed because it gives him other things apart from playing football, firstly fitness. Anyway they don't normally take 5 year olds, but the HC of all the teams had been watching him as sometimes he would get involved before football practice on a Saturday morning. Anyway to make things easier his parents asked whether they would take him too as obviously its easier on the parents if both are doing the same.. anyway the Boss was about to say no when he came running over and the Boss said, this your lad.. yep was the answer.. ahh he said.. of course he can join in practice but cannot play actual games as of yet on the Sunday. Anyway.. he has been practicing with older boys now for some 2 years and is somewhat running the show.. thing is he is a bit of a short arse, but is stocky but no fat on him.. runs all day... what they liked though was that he was left footed.

This year he earned player of the season by the manager in his first year playing other teams. He also played in summer football camps run by Charlton Athletic, over a week Mon to Fri. In his first year he won player of the week for his age group, 5 - 7, then this summer he went for another week and won Player of the week of all age groups. The training is setup by Charlton Athletic staff, and they must cover around 15 places in the area which intakes a good hundred in each week, and runs for the 6 weeks of the summer holidays @ £95 a kid.

He also went to another weeks training at another location in the summer holidays, set up by his club he plays for and West Ham were there helping run things and at the end of the week he again got player of his age group. His new season starts Saturday.. its quite exciting tbh, but as you say, that would be pretty disheartening if that attitude towards shortarses is widespread. From all the coaches that have been involved since he started playing they have had nothing but great things to say about him, just got to remember he is only 7.

I did look at the Tottenham site regarding a simalar set up by Tottenham to see if its on the scale of what Charlton Athletic do it at and although they do have summer training its nowhere at all on the same scale that Charlton Athletic do it at.

EDIT - I was a bit under on the places they do training, its over double what I said. Its 31 different venues.
http://www.cact.org.uk/

Thats a bit worrying, my nephew has been playing for a local team for the past 2 years, in March he was 7. He has an older brother, but unfortunatley isn't really interested, but is pushed because it gives him other things apart from playing football, firstly fitness. Anyway they don't normally take 5 year olds, but the HC of all the teams had been watching him as sometimes he would get involved before football practice on a Saturday morning. Anyway to make things easier his parents asked whether they would take him too as obviously its easier on the parents if both are doing the same.. anyway the Boss was about to say no when he came running over and the Boss said, this your lad.. yep was the answer.. ahh he said.. of course he can join in practice but cannot play actual games as of yet on the Sunday. Anyway.. he has been practicing with older boys now for some 2 years and is somewhat running the show.. thing is he is a bit of a short arse, but is stocky but no fat on him.. runs all day... what they liked though was that he was left footed.

This year he earned player of the season by the manager in his first year playing other teams. He also played in summer football camps run by Charlton Athletic, over a week Mon to Fri. In his first year he won player of the week for his age group, 5 - 7, then this summer he went for another week and won Player of the week of all age groups. The training is setup by Charlton Athletic staff, and they must cover around 15 places in the area which intakes a good hundred in each week, and runs for the 6 weeks of the summer holidays @ £95 a kid.

He also went to another weeks training at another location in the summer holidays, set up by his club he plays for and West Ham were there helping run things and at the end of the week he again got player of his age group. His new season starts Saturday.. its quite exciting tbh, but as you say, that would be pretty disheartening if that attitude towards shortarses is widespread. From all the coaches that have been involved since he started playing they have had nothing but great things to say about him, just got to remember he is only 7.

I did look at the Tottenham site regarding a simalar set up by Tottenham to see if its on the scale of what Charlton Athletic do it at and although they do have summer training its nowhere at all on the same scale that Charlton Athletic do it at.

EDIT - I was a bit under on the places they do training, its over double what I said. Its 31 different venues.
http://www.cact.org.uk/

My understanding is that Charltons academy is way ahead of many Prem teams.

I presume you mean us. I can't believe AVB would stand for that.

Surprised any perm teams would still believe that's the way forward.

Yes, it was us, but my understanding is that has all been changed (prior to AVB arrival) as someone at the club found out what was happening and.......well, lets just say "sorted it".;)

Back