• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Our current system

Think BoL just answered everything with his post. The two midfielders that win it and play it simple we do not have. Maybe Paulinho can be one of them because of his engine but, his first touch can be loose and his passing sloppy. Siggy and Holtby could do it but Dembele will always look to take the man on instead of pass and Sandro is a man mountain to anchor in front of the defence, but hes not high intensity.

Also that system seems to rely on us being the team that counters having won the ball back whilst the opposition are out of their defensive positions. Often this season we have encountered two brick walls content to counter attack us. This is imo where the system is at fault. Also the idea of having two narrow wing forwards is great, but I have yet to see it happen. Townsend and Lennon don't stay narrow and Chadli has been all over the place, which is why of late we have almost looked like a 4411. I know as you say there is more to the system than just that, but atm I still think we lack the personel, with too many of them being suited to different styles.

To fit that system with the players we have you would field Walker and Rose on the flanks with Vlad and Jan as the middle pair. If the middle three are meant to be comprised of two high intensity ball winners who can play quick forward passes then I'd honestly go with Holtby and Livermore. For all his detractors, the philosophy you speak of suits him. He's not a slouch, has a great engine and will keep it simple. Seeing as he's not available then you have to go with Paulinho, a player not that well suited to the job on current showing. The top diamond would have to comprise of three from Eriksen, Lamela, Chadli, Sig and a striker. From all I see, Townsend is a traditional winger who looks to beat his man, when what we are looking for in that system are finishers from wide players that will look to play quick one touch football with an eye for a first time shot.

To watch it right now we are playing a culmination of different styles and I almost feel for AVB. Maybe the guy needs to be brave and just say nuts to the pressure and play his system and not this 4231 hybrid. At least the wide forwards would be closer to the striker.

AVB first choice midfield is Sandro, Dembele and Paulinho. None of them have a creative ability and rarely try to get forward. It essentially makes whoever we have as striker irrelevant and isolated. To me it is amazing we have scored as many goals as we have. Our only chance of scoring is a winger beating one or maybe several defenders and cutting it back to a midfielder who likely won't be in a position to score. Or of course wonder strikes from long range like last week and last season with Bale. I have no idea what AVB is expecting with this system.

I asked about whether players should fit into a system or a system should accommodate players. Looking at the squad it think the English core struggle with the concept of a 4-2-3-1 system based on a high line where we press high up.

Dawson. This guy will probably the first to tell you that he does not enjoy this high line and is constantly shown up having to play it as was someone like John Terry, who was a fantastic defender as ****ish as he is.

Lennon. Martin Jol tried to first play him as a left winger and mentioned then that Aaron needed to develop his game there. But we all know Lennon is at his best with chalk on his boots getting behind his full back to the byline and cutting the ball back. He is the one reminder of the old Tottenham swagger of the last few years. But he has to play on the right

Townsend. Yes he can play on the right, but for me and for many of you, he is a left winger all day like Lennon on the other side and this combo would be a throwback to the old 4-4-2 with Bale and Lennon on either wing. It stretches teams ad makes the pitch a hell of a lot bigger.

Team 1:
-------------------Lloris-------------------
Walker----Dawson----Kaboul-------Rose
Lennon----Eriksen----Sandro---Townsend
------------Adebayor---Defoe-------------

Team 2:

-------------------Lloris--------------------
Walker---Chiriches---Vertonghen---Rose
-----------Sandro-----Dembele----------
----Lamela------Eriksen-------Chadli/Siggy
------------------Adebayor-----------------

I think the players above in team 2 are much more suited to the ideas AVB wants to implement. And they have prior experience in playing in the system.

I think we are struggling when we are shoehorning players into a system they are not buying into or have difficulty in executing.

Back