• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OT Wenger's comments on diving

I havent seen in in an indepth manner like some on here so cant tell you for the life of me how it happened. He looked like he dived I just couldnt say with certainty.

I just think it will be like playing with fire - there will be arguments galore, so many appeals etc etc etc

I actually agree. Dives like that are plain for all to see, but there have been many examples of penalties where opinion was split as to whether it was a dive or not, the Bale one against Arsenal comes to mind.

Plus most players wouldn't want to have their name tarnished as a diver, so they will always appeal.

I'd like to see the FA fine players if they get booked for diving and it's a clear dive, but players will also appeal that too.

I don't see what can be done. Even some of our fans condone Bale's diving. Most fans will trot out the "well everybody else does it" excuse when one of their players gets away with a dive.

I think Gary Neville is missing the point.

All the examples that he showed should be looked at with recinded yellows then given to those that have made challenges and visa versa, I honestly do not care how many they have to do either. Soon enough players will realise that you have to be honest. Take away the attitude of winning a penalty or foul. Its the collapsing of legs that tinkles me off the most... Lampards being the most blatant in that clip, everyone can see its what they are doing and I do not see any gray areas whatsoever.

I actually agree. Dives like that are plain for all to see, but there have been many examples of penalties where opinion was split as to whether it was a dive or not, the Bale one against Arsenal comes to mind.

Plus most players wouldn't want to have their name tarnished as a diver, so they will always appeal.

I'd like to see the FA fine players if they get booked for diving and it's a clear dive, but players will also appeal that too.

I don't see what can be done. Even some of our fans condone Bale's diving. Most fans will trot out the "well everybody else does it" excuse when one of their players gets away with a dive.

The thing with Bale is that he trys to hurdle a ghost challenge, as I said above its the ones that collapse in antisipation are the ones that should be targeted for punishment.. ala Lampard.

Andrew Johnston ( Fulham) 14 pens won in 184 games
Ashley Young 11 pens won in 200 games
Darren Bent 11 pens won in 240 games
Abonglahor 10 pens won 240 games
Peter Crouch 9 pens won in 280 games
Steve Gerrard 9 pens won in 302 games
Drogba 7 pens won in 224 games
Yakubu 7 pens won in 248 games
Kalou 7 pens won in 151 games
Adam Johnson ( City ) 6 pens won in 179 games

This is a survey that has been carried out to name the top ten players who have won pens in the Prem over the last 10 years.

Andrew Johnston ( Fulham) 14 pens won in 184 games
Ashley Young 11 pens won in 200 games
Darren Bent 11 pens won in 240 games
Abonglahor 10 pens won 240 games
Peter Crouch 9 pens won in 280 games
Steve Gerrard 9 pens won in 302 games
Drogba 7 pens won in 224 games
Yakubu 7 pens won in 248 games
Kalou 7 pens won in 151 games
Adam Johnson ( City ) 6 pens won in 179 games

This is a survey that has been carried out to name the top ten players who have won pens in the Prem over the last 10 years.

Heard on SSN today that Ryan Giggs has only won 5 penalties in his career in the premier league!!!!! Puts the figures from the players above into perspective doesn't it?!

There should be a tribunal, as in Australian Rules Football, each match is viewed retrospectively for off-the-ball incidents and cheating and match bans are given accordingly. The only drawback to this, of course, is that it does not benefit the team you are acyually playing, it just weakens the side for the next week(s)
Diving can be eliminated, if the manager knows he will lose a player for the next few weeks there will be no further incidents.
Cheating should not be allowed to continue, for that is what it is.

Garry Neville's analysis of diving: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xq65vw_gary-neville-tells-it-like-it-is-on-diving_sport

I don't like Neville, but you have to respect his analysis of the game. Whatever your stance on the issues he discusses, it is a much more difficult balancing act than most people acknowledge.

In my view, discouraging players from going to ground with the threat of a retrospective ban is going to result in broken legs. I know Bale has hurdled a few legbreakers this season and then been accused of diving (for example, at Liverpool away).

I like Neville as a pundit, and I think he makes some fair points here.

BUT/ there is no doubt that some dives are 100% clear and indefensible, and these should be punished retrospectively. E.G. Drogba holding his face against Napoli. Just because there are some grey areas, doesn't mean there aren't any black and white ones. The Gerrard one was a blatant dive too, no contact whatsoever.

Also his argument against retrospective action seemed rather confused, when he showed the clips of people getting booked unfairly for diving. The point is that referees wouldn't have to book players for diving if punishments were given retrospectively instead.

Generally I think you can differentiate between:
a) Players going down with no contact whatsoever (dive)
b) Players holding their face to get someone sent off, when there was actually no contact with their face or the contact is vastly overexaggerated (dive)
c) Attacking players actually creating the contact themselves, either through collapsing legs ala Lampard or throwing their leg into the defender ala Young (dive) [the most grey areas here]
d) Attacking players getting contact and choosing to go down to ensure a free-kick or penalty (ala Samba or what the Swansea player could have done) (not dive) [a little bit of grey here, but generally it's pretty obvious if there was enough contact to be a foul ... Young against QPR was a clear dive and should be punishable]

The punishments would be inconsistant though as Neville says this happens every single game to some degree and what would probably happen is the main games/televised games would be scrutinised more based on media uproar. Meanwhile in the championship/small prem clubs....

The punishments would be inconsistant though as Neville says this happens every single game to some degree and what would probably happen is the main games/televised games would be scrutinised more based on media uproar. Meanwhile in the championship/small prem clubs....

I think it's a fair point, but at the very least that shouldn't stop us from retrospecitvely punishing the 100% clearcut offenders (e.g. Drogba against Napoli).

Back