• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One player from history - 2014/15 edition

If you could pick one player from our history for current team who would it be?

• Total voters
I love these questions. For me the answers always been and always will be Hoddle, regardless.

Defence a bit leaky? Which former player would you bring back? Hoddle
Missing some steel in midfield? Which former player would you bring back? Hoddle
Lacking width? Which former player would you bring back? Hoddle
Need some electric pace? Which former player would you bring back? Hoddle

I don't even care if hes not the answer........he's the answer. :lol:

I can't even imagine how good he would be now with modern diet, training techniques, recovery plans, medical treatments, referee protection.
What. A. Player.

More seriously, and based on who i saw play, i am always surprised Graham Roberts doesn't get more of a mention in these type of threads where a lack of on-field leadership is mentioned. The guy would have died before he gave anything less than 100% and like Mackay he was a better player than given credit for.

I had to check I hadn't written this! It was Hoddle that made me a Spurs fan but I was also I ST holder at Ibrox when rangers signed Roberts and he was awesome.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using Fapatalk

Jurgen. I don't get this about Soldado not getting chances... Soldado doesn't get many chances which suit his style of play, but give the ball to Heir Klinsmann in similar positions and he'd be up there with Costa as top scorer. Of this I have absolutely no doubt. All he did was score goals wherever he went

I'm drooling over the idea of having Mackay, leading out our young team - we'd be half way to beating our opponents in the tunnel just before kick-off, however I've gone for Jurgen Klinsmann, as I feel he'd also be Pochettino's pick . Klinsmann is one of the best ever at defending from the front and he also got the goals.

I can understand people who have gone for greaves but this answer says it all. I feel Jurgen would fit with our style of play. I know Milo said take a leap with the imagination but there wasn't even an offside rule when greaves was playing!

offside is irrelevant to Greaves, all his goals involved him beating 5 tackles before rounding the keeper and passing it into the net

Re: One player from history - 20114/15 edition

Greaves, our biggest problem is scoring goals.

Technically ..Greaves was our best player..Ginola was remarkable as well IMO but was not here early enough.not a very good team around him to be honest...but single handedly he would raise the roof out of some of his performances!!! .deliberately sold early by George G BTW

Gaza...What can you say..if he could have only kept his calm he would have been even a better player.
Blanchflower should be on that list as well with as at least Five others from that double Team!

Ricky Villa was very underrated IMO and had the best movement Ive seen for a player of his size. A thunderbolt shot into the bargain.

Hoddle best passer ..arguably..but could not beat players like the others I've mentioned so far.

Modric and Bale..Probably of equal worth..in score out of ten..but they Fcuked off! Berbs as well.. could have had quite a Team if we had kept them...there lies
the clubs problem BTWay............

1967 Team Gilzean almost the best ..a genius..but drunk too much beer! LOL..

Klinsmann OK a good goalscorer but probably on a par with Lineker..

who else can I think of..recently not many apart from Berbs Modric and Bale,,,the buggers..

A player I did not see was Ron Burgess ..Bill Nicholson rated him as the best!

Maybe my eye for great players was better than Bills!...because for my money Dave Mackay
was Tottenhams best ever player . He was really indeed a Lionheart.

Remember he was subject to a deliberate over the top tackle that broke his leg at Old Trafford.
[we would not have gone out in that cup winners cup game had that horedous tackle had not been done.
That's probably why that player did it! He had to stop Mackay's influence on our great Team.

Mackay despite what the anties say who had not watched him.. was a master on the ball
threading passes between players.. Just listen to what Venables had to say about him , in his Spurs greatest players list video.
Above all for me was his quick wit on the ball,,and anticipation..and he echoed that Clown Prince of Soccer at Roker Park. A complete entertainer if ever
there was one!

There is no contest.

Mackay was the best despite what others may think.....

mmmm That's a bit dogmatic....
very unlike me.

Anyway..Come on you Spurs...............................................

Re: One player from history - 20114/15 edition

Gazza took an entire FA Cup run by the scruff of the neck though.

Tough call this.

Gaza ..an amazing player ,..you could be pretty confident of doing well with him in the team.

If only he could have kept his head in that cup final...despite the genius of Hoddles ball control
gazza would create space and threat to opposition with his runs towards goal.

Definitely best midfielder and arguably one of our best ever players..again though he left
us too early..he damaged his knee and also Venners fell out with Sugar about that time,,,,,,,,,,,

You know this club has shot itself in the foot a little bit ...

whats it like supporting Spurs a?....still best club though...ain't we.. \o/

Greaves for me. Turn of pace, clinical n tons of goals. We don't create loads, but our forwards miss chances all the time. A match-winner upfront would make so much difference. Goals are everything.

offside is irrelevant to Greaves, all his goals involved him beating 5 tackles before rounding the keeper and passing it into the net
True enough. Except of course in the ****ing Benfica SF at WHL when he was given offside regardless. Still convinced the lino was nobbled.

Edit: not conclusive but third photo in the gallery on this link shows his disallowed strike - despite a Benfica defender appearing to play him onside.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-v-benfica-european-cup-3237587

Last edited:
if we want quick transitions and poch's system it would be hoddle for me. also capable of those fantastic 30 m goals to the top corner. he'd have to sit a little deeper in the midfield and have a proper DM around him though, and stambouli fits the bill.

bale would be great except that we'd slow him down too much in our midfield which i find even more congested compared to under avb.

Funny no one has mentioned Ossie, I never got to see him much because I was just a nipper and we didn't get much coverage up in scotchland back then. Any thoughts?

Funny no one has mentioned Ossie, I never got to see him much because I was just a nipper and we didn't get much coverage up in scotchland back then. Any thoughts?

For sure Ossie deserves to be included in that list because he was a truly outstanding midfield enforcer, probably second only to Mackay in that role, but for me our number one problem right now is converting chances into goals.

For me, I would want us to have a player akin to either Gascoigne, or Bale; a player that can make a goal from nothing. We need a player to get us that first goal which then helps to open up the opposition. Both players were exciting to watch for us and would chip in with both assists and goals.

Good call. Ossie = Modric in an earlier life.

I am not saying he was the best player Spurs ever had but a Richard Gough round about now would not go amiss.

Back