• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

One Player - Belgium

Rio is virtually retired and crocked and Carrick is not a walk up start. Verts has Rio covered and Fellaini and Dembele more than cover Carrick. I don't know who Belgiums right back is but im still pretty confident he's better than Glen bloody Johnson.

And Wheelchair played no part in Arse finishing 4th. On recent form you'd have Benteke over Rooney. If England had a half decent second option as a striker, Rooney would start on the pine.

we're going to have to agree to disagree re Wheelchair having played no part in arsenal finishing 4th. and i can accept that many people would take dembele over carrick (or whoever else is in the england midfield).

but regarding vertonghen. i think hes one of these players that we (as spurs fans) perhaps over rate. hes been very solid this season. but whats really put him in the limelight is some goals in key games (and some standout performances in fairness). but this isnt too unlike vermaelen. who arsenal fans are now starting to realise is a bit of a liability. rio has been very solid again this year, and he'll add experience and a level of consistency to the team i think.

Verts was in the PFA team of the year. Rio wasn't. That'll do me.

If you had said Terry over Verts, it may be a different argument.

team of the year isn't necessarily a measurement of a player's ability. it takes into account a multitude of other factors (some, non-footballing). similar to why some argue that luis suarez didnt win pfa player of the year. ie. his off the pitch conduct was far from acceptable.

i would say to get picked in the team of the year, more represents how important the player was to that team in the past year.

also, carrick was selected in that team. that doesnt mean to say we should automatically pick him over dembele. same with baines. no sane england manager would pick a fully fit baines over a fully fit cole if the world cup final was tomorrow.

and rio was selected.

Back