• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT*******TOTTENHAM VS Ar5ena1***********

I did not watch the game live as I was in the theatre in the West End. But I have not seen a more one sided NLD from our perspective for years. Cannot believe how well we pressed them and how negative they were. They paid us too much respect. Not that I care.

Welbeck - I'm sorry but when is he going to turn into this wonder striker who scores a goal every other game like many on here worried he would just because he scored a few goals for England 6 months ago? All I see is a guy who runs around a lot, but lacks in ability.

Ospina - Well anyone is better than that Polish clown, but Ospina makes Paul Robinson look agile. He makes the simplest of saves look like a chore.

A bit more quality in the final 3rd and we would have won comfortably. There is simply no better feeling besides winning a cup than beating those clams. How anyone can say the West Ham, Chelsea or Liverpool games even compare in atmosphere or passion is beyond me.

Was Jonathan Pearce for real in saying they should have had a penalty? Mertesacker is about 6 foot 7 and went down like a sack of crud. I thought Ozil's goal was just about onside. The rules are in place to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker and I feel that is correct. You can't expect the linesman to pick out a player for being offside when his toe or ear is in an offside position.

I agree with both of these points.
Of course, if the lino listened to songs he'd have know where to look for the first goal, because with Ozil, it's his EYES that are offside!!!!!!!

Right midfield/Right wing-forward is the main position in the team that nobody has made their own yet. Neither Townsend nor Lamela have been very good this season, though they both put the effort in so I am happy for both to be given more time.

I wouldn't mind seeing the team that played Arsenal, but with Chadli in place of Lamela.

The reality is that I think Chadli will absolutely fight his way back into the 11, but right now, it is picking itself. Bentaleb is the only one who goes straight in from not playing a few games, and quite right as he is the nuts!

This is the sort of result that will lift our morale. This was a perfect result for us, beating our local rival Arsenal at home. Frankly we outplayed Arsenal for most of the match and should have won by a bigger margin. Arsenal were very poor surprisingly and didn't threaten us much apart from their only goal. The fact we had 23 shots on goal compared to 7 by Arsenal, shows how much we dominated the match. A bit disappointed we didn't win this match more comfortably like the 5-1 win over them in the 2008 League Cup semi final. But still it was enjoyable to win the way we did.

Full credit to Kane for getting both the goals. He seemed to be improving as a striker by each match. It is simply brilliant that he has scored 22 goals now, 12 of them in the league. More importantly, he has put his name in the history books by gunning down our closest rival Arsenal almost single handedly. In fact, he was unlucky not to get the hattrick as his billiant shot was saved by the goalie earlier in the match. In contrast was disappointed by Eriksen. Thought he would score but he wasted the only chance he had when he couldn't hit the freekick on target in the 2nd half. Eriksen has set himself a high benchmark that it is disappointing whenever he can't score.

Was pleasantly surprised that our midfield managed to control the midfield. Was worried Bentaleb-Mason partnership will be outplayed by the more experienced Arsenal midfield. Instead, it was Arsenal who got outplayed in midfield. Maybe Arsenal didn't expect Bentaleb to start so soon after his involvement in the African Cup. Credit to Bentaleb for his inch perfect cross for Kane's second goal. In fact, thought our entire midfield had a good game. Afterall, it was from Lamela's brilliant corner from which Dembele headed and saved by the goalie before scored by Kane for our first goal. Lamela seems to be enjoy playing against Arsenal as he also created the goal for Chadli against Arsenal earlier in the season. Dembele too had a good game and was unlucky not to score as he had a header and shot saved.

Not really surprised that our defence conceded the goal. But it was really disappointing the way we let Arsenal score. Rose should have stopped the Arsenal player from running past him and someone should have covered Ozil from having a free shot at goal. But fortunately, our defence recovered from that and played much better after that, even if Lloris had to make a few good saves. Thought the inexperience Dier would struggle but he did fairly well with Vertonghen.

This is an important win for us as it has put us above Arsenal in the league table. Also it is nice to get the revenge over them for losing at home to them last season. Hopefully, this win will spur us to do well in the coming matches.

Ospina made some good saves. Agree that he's an upgrade for them, seems a very good shot stopper. Failed to guide shots out wide or to a corner fairly regularly though, think more goals will come after his saves. Seemingly not great with the ball at his feet either.

Replies below mate...

Fair points from a different perspective. I too hope Lamela will come good and praise his workrate and pressing. I also want Townsend to succeed and recognize his latent talent. At present, Lamela deserves the nod over Townsend for the right hand side AM.

However, from the stats you quote, there is not much difference at the moment between Lamela and Townsend. Both are young and both have the potential to improve. What I find abhorrent is the Animal Farm like division on here that Lamela = good and Townsend = bad. Both deserve an equal chance and not a knee jerk reaction from some pre-disposed irrational prejudice.

Fair points from a different perspective. I too hope Lamela will come good and praise his workrate and pressing. I also want Townsend to succeed and recognize his latent talent. At present, Lamela deserves the nod over Townsend for the right hand side AM.

However, from the stats you quote, there is not much difference at the moment between Lamela and Townsend. Both are young and both have the potential to improve. What I find abhorrent is the Animal Farm like division on here that Lamela = good and Townsend = bad. Both deserve an equal chance and not a knee jerk reaction from some pre-disposed irrational prejudice.

Would you agree that Poch has been fair?

If it was Arsenal who had won, playing how we played using the youngest 11 in the PL (avg. age 23,5), the media would be all over it!

Last edited:
Would you agree that Poch has been fair?

Eminently so far. I was slow to warm to Poch ( he wasn't my first choice) but he is certainly winning me round. I was initially worried that he was an AVB Mk 2 and wasn't over impressed by the signings or our early performances. But he has given the likes of Ade, Solly, Kaboul a fair crack and has weeded out the chaff extremely well.The performance on Saturday was exceptional and he has really improved some players well beyond their performances last season. Kane obviously springs to mind but also Verts, Bentaleb, Mason, Dembele, Chadli and Rose are much improved too. Given the age of the team, if we keep progressing, the future is really bright.

Eminently so far. I was slow to warm to Poch ( he wasn't my first choice) but he is certainly winning me round. I was initially worried that he was an AVB Mk 2 and wasn't over impressed by the signings or our early performances. But he has given the likes of Ade, Solly, Kaboul a fair crack and has weeded out the chaff extremely well.The performance on Saturday was exceptional and he has really improved some players well beyond their performances last season. Kane obviously springs to mind but also Verts, Bentaleb, Mason, Dembele, Chadli and Rose are much improved too. Given the age of the team, if we keep progressing, the future is really bright.

Was more talking about in the context of Lamela and Townsend. He's started Lamela 17 times and Townsend 4 times in the league so far.

To me that's fair.

I always find it interesting to read the match thread after the event (as I have just done). In this case I found some of the criticisms/comments extremely strange with many of them not really seeming to reflect the way the game was going at all.

I was in my usual seat in the East Upper on Saturday and I felt that we were in control pretty much from the first minute to the last.

Arsenal probably had two 5 minute spells in the whole match and other than that were solely reliant on the counter attack, but they were pushed so deep that they couldn't even manage to counter effectively, finding it impossible to break through our incredibly intensive press. It was probably the most intensive press I have seen us deploy this season - with Kane, Lamela, Dembele, Ericksen, Mason and even the two full backs involved in implementing it. We made (an apparently) good footballing team look like they had poor technique.

I recorded the game from the showing on BT Sport and watched it again yesterday after the euphoria had died down a little. Watching it again just affirmed my thoughts while at the game. Perhaps it is easier to go over the top when watching at home and posting on a forum - but why on earth were people criticising us and wanting changes to be made when we we had so much control in the game compared to our opponents?

I have picked a few choice comments from the thread:

"Dembele has to be subbed. We've got a slick passing game and he keeps slowing it down"
"Chadli for Dembele is the sub I'd make. The guy is slowing the game down so much ruining our tempo and allowing them to get organised"

Dembele was a crucial part of our win - he didn't let Arsenal's defensive midfielder settle on the ball and dictate play at all, as a result every Arsenal pass was rushed and we won back possession quickly throughout the match. Additionally Dembele always wanted the ball, even when tightly marked and when it was passed to him he retained possession just about every time - this allowed us to play the game entirely in their half and much of the game in their third. This resulted in Arsenal being incredibly deep, the midfield congested so that they couldn't pass through it and it allowed our fullbacks to get forward.

"Eriksen likes to drift inside and Rose isn't a defensive LB = problems"

I thought we caused them far more problems from the left hand side than they caused us (although admittedly they got the goal down that side). Ericksen was tucking in and taking their fullback with him which was creating acres of space for Rose to get into and Wellbeck wasn't always good enough/defensively minded enough to handle this.

"They are nullifying anything central. Stambouli on for mason, let him sit so walker can get forward too"

Arsenal were not nullifying anything, it was always a matter of time before we scored. Mason was crucial in the box to box role as he was literally everywhere winning tackles and not letting Arsenal settle into their passing game. Walker got forward sensibly, not just charging forward when we had Rose already creating width on the other side but instead choosing his moments.

"Bentaleb has been really quiet. Sad"

His positional sense was superb.... Arsenal couldn't work the ball through midfield at all. I'm not sure you could really get how good Bentaleb's performance was without being at the game and seeing the whole pitch?

"Fark!!! This has got the Liverpool 3-0 in August written all over it"

At no stage did it ever look like that game. In that game we were as outplayed by Liverpool as Arsenal were by us on Saturday, the only thing that stopped a similar result was that Arsenal had Coquelin (who actually looks a decent, positionally disciplined defensive midfielder) whereas against Liverpool we had Capoue, who was absolutely anonymous when we were defending.

"We look so insecure without Fazio organising. I'd swap him for Dier if he is anyway fit"

I thought our organisation was excellent. Arsenal's goal came from a rash challenge from Vertonghen and then a very good piece of play from Wellbeck to exploit that (I think Rose was surprised at Welbeck's turn of pace to be honest - and I was too) Arsenal then got a little bit of luck with a mishit shot from Giroud that went straight to Ozil. I thought that in general our defence looked more secure than in just about any other game this season. Have you ever seen an Arsenal team create so few chances?

"I think we've been by far the better team and the body language of the Arsenal players don't really resemble a team that is going in at half time ahead. We've been better and they are lucky to be ahead. I think our players look more up for it, I think we've got a good spirit and I wouldn't be surprised if we win this"​

This was the feeling that I and all those around me had at half time as well.... We were comfortably the better team and if the game continued in the same vein then it would've been a travesty if we had lost. Interesting how it appeared that for some this wasn't the feeling they were getting while watching the game?

I find it best not to pay too much attention to the in game comments - emotions are running high and people type off the cuff without really thinking things through

I always find it interesting to read the match thread after the event (as I have just done). In this case I found some of the criticisms/comments extremely strange with many of them not really seeming to reflect the way the game was going at all.

I was in my usual seat in the East Upper on Saturday and I felt that we were in control pretty much from the first minute to the last.

Arsenal probably had two 5 minute spells in the whole match and other than that were solely reliant on the counter attack, but they were pushed so deep that they couldn't even manage to counter effectively, finding it impossible to break through our incredibly intensive press. It was probably the most intensive press I have seen us deploy this season - with Kane, Lamela, Dembele, Ericksen, Mason and even the two full backs involved in implementing it. We made (an apparently) good footballing team look like they had poor technique.

I recorded the game from the showing on BT Sport and watched it again yesterday after the euphoria had died down a little. Watching it again just affirmed my thoughts while at the game. Perhaps it is easier to go over the top when watching at home and posting on a forum - but why on earth were people criticising us and wanting changes to be made when we we had so much control in the game compared to our opponents?

I have picked a few choice comments from the thread:

"Dembele has to be subbed. We've got a slick passing game and he keeps slowing it down"
"Chadli for Dembele is the sub I'd make. The guy is slowing the game down so much ruining our tempo and allowing them to get organised"

Dembele was a crucial part of our win - he didn't let Arsenal's defensive midfielder settle on the ball and dictate play at all, as a result every Arsenal pass was rushed and we won back possession quickly throughout the match. Additionally Dembele always wanted the ball, even when tightly marked and when it was passed to him he retained possession just about every time - this allowed us to play the game entirely in their half and much of the game in their third. This resulted in Arsenal being incredibly deep, the midfield congested so that they couldn't pass through it and it allowed our fullbacks to get forward.

"Eriksen likes to drift inside and Rose isn't a defensive LB = problems"

I thought we caused them far more problems from the left hand side than they caused us (although admittedly they got the goal down that side). Ericksen was tucking in and taking their fullback with him which was creating acres of space for Rose to get into and Wellbeck wasn't always good enough/defensively minded enough to handle this.

"They are nullifying anything central. Stambouli on for mason, let him sit so walker can get forward too"

Arsenal were not nullifying anything, it was always a matter of time before we scored. Mason was crucial in the box to box role as he was literally everywhere winning tackles and not letting Arsenal settle into their passing game. Walker got forward sensibly, not just charging forward when we had Rose already creating width on the other side but instead choosing his moments.

"Bentaleb has been really quiet. Sad"

His positional sense was superb.... Arsenal couldn't work the ball through midfield at all. I'm not sure you could really get how good Bentaleb's performance was without being at the game and seeing the whole pitch?

"Fark!!! This has got the Liverpool 3-0 in August written all over it"

At no stage did it ever look like that game. In that game we were as outplayed by Liverpool as Arsenal were by us on Saturday, the only thing that stopped a similar result was that Arsenal had Coquelin (who actually looks a decent, positionally disciplined defensive midfielder) whereas against Liverpool we had Capoue, who was absolutely anonymous when we were defending.

"We look so insecure without Fazio organising. I'd swap him for Dier if he is anyway fit"

I thought our organisation was excellent. Arsenal's goal came from a rash challenge from Vertonghen and then a very good piece of play from Wellbeck to exploit that (I think Rose was surprised at Welbeck's turn of pace to be honest - and I was too) Arsenal then got a little bit of luck with a mishit shot from Giroud that went straight to Ozil. I thought that in general our defence looked more secure than in just about any other game this season. Have you ever seen an Arsenal team create so few chances?

"I think we've been by far the better team and the body language of the Arsenal players don't really resemble a team that is going in at half time ahead. We've been better and they are lucky to be ahead. I think our players look more up for it, I think we've got a good spirit and I wouldn't be surprised if we win this"​

This was the feeling that I and all those around me had at half time as well.... We were comfortably the better team and if the game continued in the same vein then it would've been a travesty if we had lost. Interesting how it appeared that for some this wasn't the feeling they were getting while watching the game?
Excellent post. I did something similar to yourself and only read the match thread much later, after I had watched the match on TV. If I didn't know better I would have thought the match thread was for a different match altogether.
I've put it down to NLD day jitters :eek: .

Excellent post. I did something similar to yourself and only read the match thread much later, after I had watched the match on TV. If I didn't know better I would have thought the match thread was for a different match altogether.
I've put it down to NLD day jitters :eek: .
I hate and love the NLD with equal measure to the extent I actually find it hard to watch live. It matters more than any other game in the season to me, and I so don't want to lose it. This always make me watch it with a 'glass half full' mentality which tends to accentuate the bad points over the good points. I also hate to tempt fate being too positive as Lady Luck always seems to have a habit of kicking me personally in the gonad*s!
The Mrs is out this evening so intend to watch the game in full again with a smug grin on my face....

I find it best not to pay too much attention to the in game comments - emotions are running high and people type off the cuff without really thinking things through

Exactly. Some people tend to get nervous and/or irrational when watching Spurs, me included. You can't expect everyone to watch the game with zero nerves acting ice cool like huggy bear. I would advise anyone to not take anything in the match threads seriously.

Back