• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***OMT: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool***

Absolutely this.

We contained their manic press for the half, restricting them to just a couple of breaks - early goal being the exception.

They ran themselves into the ground without really making advantage.

Second half their legs went completely and we were able to really assert ourselves having weathered the early storm.

By the end of the game Liverpool were completely ragged.

First half I would say was evens, they started strong and we finished strong.

Second half was ours, and really we should have won.

If they are to push on, Klopp is going to have to develop/adapt their game. They've got some great forwards but that and running a lot is not enough on its own.

Exactly. There is no real structure to what they do, no intelligence or strategy - and they simply arent fit enough to play that way for 9 minutes.

I suppose the idea is to be out of sight before they hit the stage where their legs and shape goes, but its hardly the most progressive of ideas and it will end up meaning they never really challenge.

Exactly. There is no real structure to what they do, no intelligence or strategy - and they simply arent fit enough to play that way for 9 minutes.

I suppose the idea is to be out of sight before they hit the stage where their legs and shape goes, but its hardly the most progressive of ideas and it will end up meaning they never really challenge.

And they've sold their one player who had a bit of guile.

Absolutely this.

We contained their manic press for the half, restricting them to just a couple of breaks - early goal being the exception.

They ran themselves into the ground without really making advantage.

Second half their legs went completely and we were able to really assert ourselves having weathered the early storm.

By the end of the game Liverpool were completely ragged.

First half I would say was evens, they started strong and we finished strong.

Second half was ours, and really we should have won.

Only thing I'd say is that we only created one good chance in the second half, apart from the penalties - Son's shot when he was put through.

So as dominant as we looked in possession in the second half, we didn't create much at all.

But a dominant team would create chances and at least hit the target

Forcing us to make errors was impressive but Hugo made no saves In That first half and the nearest they came to a goal was Milners deflected shot
And Firmino's header that went wide. More often than not that gets buried. It was a huge chance for them.

But let me say one thing, because I hear this "didn't have to make a save" narrative and I think it is a bit misleading: just because a team isn't hitting the target doesn't mean that they are not creating quality chances. Let's say Team A creates tons of high percentage chances that it ends up sending wide. Does that mean that, because the keeper didn't have to make any saves, Team B's defense was outstanding? Probably not. This was not the case in this match (Firmino's miss aside), but I don't think that how many saves a keeper makes is indicative of how close a team comes to scoring. One need look no further back than the Leicester game where we were missing absolute sitters. Anyhow, closing this parenthesis. ;)

13 shots, 6 on target, all in the first half?

No, though obviously some of them were. And 3 of the 5 shots on target in the second half were the 2 penalties and Wanyama’s wonder strike. Another was the one good chance for Son that I mentioned.

What other good chances were there?

I agree we played better than Liverpool in the second half overall, but having 13 shots (5 of which ere blocked) doesn’t mean we created lots.

13 shots, 6 on target, all in the first half?
Low percentage shots, really, and easy for Karius to save. @elltrev is correct, the only glaring chance that I could remember was Son's one-on-one. There may have been one more that I am forgetting. The xG, if you take out the penalties, was pretty even: 1.4-1.2 with Lollerpool having the slight advantage. But at least we kept coming at them and created those two penalties, which is what I would focus on.

Nothing to refresh my memory about mate, any team that scores in the first 3 minutes will have better odds of winning the game. I stand by my statement, we held possession and were slow in transition in the first half which meant we failed to threaten them, they had a goal from a mistake and a few half chances. In the second half we put them on the rack.

The two halves

1st - was a slow tempo possession from Spurs with a few breakaway opportunities from Pool's long ball play and use of FBs
2nd - Spurs nullified Pool's wide players, increased tempo of game, played in Pools half and created more opportunities and chances

So one half slightly towards Pool, other half dominantly Spurs.

This is supposed to be a top 4 team?
66% possession to the away side
13 Shots to 9 to the away side (6 to 3 on target, they fudging had 3 shots on goal and got 2 goals)
7 corners to 3 to the away side
The only edge they had was on fouls

Other than playing City, no top 6 side should be that lopsided in stats at home, unless you are saying Klopp's was actually trying to park the bus against us?

The issue we were discussing was the first half. At least you now agree it was “slightly towards Pool” . So let’s leave it there.

Otherwise I agree with your comments.

They could recruit Steve Bould to work on their defence.

Does Jurgen Klopp share Wenger's enjoyment for a sideline snack of pre-chewed wasps.

wenger-bould_2319829b.jpg

Last edited:
Satisfied with this draw but we really should have won this match. Would have accepted the draw before the match due to our poor record against top 6 teams away, especially at Liverpool. But as we dominated the match and got all the major decisions from the ref including the 2 penalties, our failure to win is really disappointing. We wasted a great chance to get our first win at Liverpool since 2011. Also a win in this match would have improved our poor away record against the top 6 teams. Instead we needed some help from the ref and linesman to escape with this draw.

Credit to Wanyama and Kane for our goals. It was a world class long range goal by Wanyama. It reminded me of Erik Edman's even better long range goal from almost the same location against Liverpool in 2005. Wish we can score more long range goals like that. Kane did well to score his second penalty but was really disappointed about his poor first penalty. Kane's penalties are normally very good but he picked the wrong timing to come up with his worst penalty for us. I think we would have won this match if Kane had scored his first penalty. Instead, it put pressure on us when he missed the penalty and it gave Liverpool the confidence to score their 2nd goal. Kane has to thank Lamela for winning our second penalty which gave him the chance to redeem himself. Maybe we would have won this match if Lamela had started as he made huge impact after coming on. Annoyed with Son for wasting yet another one-on-one chance in the second half. The ref and linesman also deserves credit for giving us the benefit of the doubt by giving us 2 penalties. It is really amazing that we we received 2 penalties in the same match, especially after Alli had received yellow card for diving.

Our midfield did well to control for most of this match. We made a bad start when Dier made yet another mistake which resulted in Liverpool scoring so early. But our midfield improved after that. It was nice to see Dembele getting back his old form. Wanyama did well to make a positive impact after coming on. Hope Dembele and Wanyama will be fully fit to start in our midfield soon.

Our defence had a mixed match. Liverpool didn't really have too many goal scoring chances but we conceded 2 easy goals. Sanchez has to take some part of the blame for their first goal while our entire defence were at fault for letting the Liverpool player walk the ball into goal. It was annoying to concede so early in the match but our defence improved after that until going to sleep for their second goal.

It would have lifted our confidence greatly if we had beaten Liverpool away. At least we managed to get this draw. Let's hope this draw will boost our confidence to do well in our remaining matches.

Satisfied with this draw but we really should have won this match. Would have accepted the draw before the match due to our poor record against top 6 teams away, especially at Liverpool. But as we dominated the match and got all the major decisions from the ref including the 2 penalties, our failure to win is really disappointing. We wasted a great chance to get our first win at Liverpool since 2011. Also a win in this match would have improved our poor away record against the top 6 teams. Instead we needed some help from the ref and linesman to escape with this draw.

Credit to Wanyama and Kane for our goals. It was a world class long range goal by Wanyama. It reminded me of Erik Edman's even better long range goal from almost the same location against Liverpool in 2005. Wish we can score more long range goals like that. Kane did well to score his second penalty but was really disappointed about his poor first penalty. Kane's penalties are normally very good but he picked the wrong timing to come up with his worst penalty for us. I think we would have won this match if Kane had scored his first penalty. Instead, it put pressure on us when he missed the penalty and it gave Liverpool the confidence to score their 2nd goal. Kane has to thank Lamela for winning our second penalty which gave him the chance to redeem himself. Maybe we would have won this match if Lamela had started as he made huge impact after coming on. Annoyed with Son for wasting yet another one-on-one chance in the second half. The ref and linesman also deserves credit for giving us the benefit of the doubt by giving us 2 penalties. It is really amazing that we we received 2 penalties in the same match, especially after Alli had received yellow card for diving.

Our midfield did well to control for most of this match. We made a bad start when Dier made yet another mistake which resulted in Liverpool scoring so early. But our midfield improved after that. It was nice to see Dembele getting back his old form. Wanyama did well to make a positive impact after coming on. Hope Dembele and Wanyama will be fully fit to start in our midfield soon.

Our defence had a mixed match. Liverpool didn't really have too many goal scoring chances but we conceded 2 easy goals. Sanchez has to take some part of the blame for their first goal while our entire defence were at fault for letting the Liverpool player walk the ball into goal. It was annoying to concede so early in the match but our defence improved after that until going to sleep for their second goal.

It would have lifted our confidence greatly if we had beaten Liverpool away. At least we managed to get this draw. Let's hope this draw will boost our confidence to do well in our remaining matches.

:eek:

:D

Low percentage shots, really, and easy for Karius to save. @elltrev is correct, the only glaring chance that I could remember was Son's one-on-one. There may have been one more that I am forgetting. The xG, if you take out the penalties, was pretty even: 1.4-1.2 with Lollerpool having the slight advantage. But at least we kept coming at them and created those two penalties, which is what I would focus on.
Why are we taking out the penalties? The first one came from Harry Kane being one on one with the keeper? Also why would we take out our second penalty but leave in Liverpool's opening goal? (which had as big an assist from Eric Dier as our second penalty had from Van Dyke).

Why are we taking out the penalties? The first one came from Harry Kane being one on one with the keeper? Also why would we take out our second penalty but leave in Liverpool's opening goal? (which had as big an assist from Eric Dier as our second penalty had from Van Dyke).
I suppose it shows that we didn't create a lot of clear cut chances. The first Kane chance was very much a coincidence as he got the ball from Lovren in a clear offside position.

Similarly at the other end Liverpool didn't create much of anything. We scored a wondergoal each, and one each from a pretty bad defensive error. A draw was fair, though we were very good in the second half. The first half mirrored some previous struggling performances against high pressing teams, stuff we need to learn from to push on in these games. And not just against big clubs.

I suppose it shows that we didn't create a lot of clear cut chances. The first Kane chance was very much a coincidence as he got the ball from Lovren in a clear offside position.

Similarly at the other end Liverpool didn't create much of anything. We scored a wondergoal each, and one each from a pretty bad defensive error. A draw was fair, though we were very good in the second half. The first half mirrored some previous struggling performances against high pressing teams, stuff we need to learn from to push on in these games. And not just against big clubs.

Your last two sentences hit the tickle my balls with a feather. We have had two many poor first halves this season. In fact, did I read that we have failed to win in the PL after going a goal down? I think someone said 6 draws and four defeats. Off the top of my head, we certainly lost to Chelsea at home, Man U, Leicester and Scum away after losing the first goal. We also only drew with Soton, Pool, Watford after conceding first. We need to rectify this asap.

Back