• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT - Tottenham Hotspur vs Bournemouth

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We're incredibly lucky that every other result has gone our way lately! Even Wolves won today, so Everton have absolutely nothing to play for next weekend. Honestly, if we throw away CL qualification now, it's unbelievable and inexcusable!
Poch has a massive job of getting the players ready for Wednesday, although the motivation should take care of itself. But we look totally deflated atm, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Bournemouth also had nothing to play for but despite being an utter brick team they still gave it everything and still had people like lerma behaving like an utter scumbag.

Whilst we also play everton with probably the same side against Ajax in the first leg and that is not a good side.

Burnley also have nothing to play for and whilst they play more like a rugby team than a football one, they are not a leicester or wolves. Anal will get a barely deserved 0-1 win there.

For me all our hopes now rest on how Kane’s recovery is going. If the rumours are true and he can come on for 20 mins on wednesday we may have a chance of going through.

And likewise if he can then start against everton he could be the difference of turning one point into three.

If the rumours are not true then imo we are well and truly fudged.

Mate, our net spend over ten years is negative. We've made more than we've spent, just from outgoings - never mind the enormous explosion in revenue from TV, commercial and so on.

We've wasted our CL premium - there was once a time when we thought it was the lack of CL stopping us from signing players. Well, we've been in the CL and absolutely nothing has changed. In fact, it's gotten worse - I prefer the days when we were out of it, because at least we signed *someone*.

We signed *no one* - absolutely *no fudging one* for 18 months. All of football thinks that's a macaronic thing to do, since no one's actually done it - but here we are, record-breakers.

In answer to your questions, it really doesn't matter how much we spend in terms of fees on players, because we made a profit on player sales in *all* of those years. He effectively spent nothing, unless you think reusing money from sales is an investment. If you hire someone to sell your car for twenty grand, and he buys three 5 grand couches and returns them to you, is that *investment* on his part? Did he take a big risk buying those couches?

Re: signing deadwood, and the resulting threat of blocking 'other signings', or the progress of the youngsters - a) well, we signed no one, so not sure what great other signings were waiting to come through the door if we didn't sign deadwood. And b) what do we want to be? If we want to be a big club, big clubs don't hobble themselves with 11-man senior squads to afford maximum space to the youngsters. That shouldn't be a primary aim, unless our academy is literally Ajax level (and it has never been), *and* our league is a feeder league, like the Eredivisie.

I know you know all this. I've spelled it out enough times. But that is lost amidst the crackling back-and-forth that *any* criticism of Levy generates - no matter how even-handed.

We spend money. Just not the way you want it spent.

For what’s worth, now that we’re in the stadium I think we’ll spend this summer.

Like I say, we certainly need to freshen up but I’m under no illusion that any signing is necessarily a silver bullet.

Last time Kane was out it took him 5 weeks 6 days to recover but there was no game the weekend before so he may have been back in 4 weeks 6 days.

The Ajax game is 4 weeks 1 day since the injury and everton is 4 weeks 5 days since the injury.

They say the recovery period with this injury is less every time.

We better hope thats true or imo our CL dream dies on wednesday and the goons end above us as we play Thursdays next season.

Son also he started the rot
hang On...I blame Dier..anyone could see this player was just getting worse and worse every time he played!...why I don,t know..
there is just no football intelligence anymore,just wants to kick brick out off everyone....the guy has completely lost it..

I don’t think any of it is valid frankly.

Why do we need to wait until the other clubs conduct their business? We were/are interested in De Ligt and will more than likely miss out on him as he’s on the radar of the bigger fish. Should we have waited longer before we made a bid for Alli? Should we have waited until bigger clubs come in for Eriksen before we signed him from Ajax. Surely waiting makes it more likely to miss out on our targets?

I don’t expect all signings to be a success but when the likes of tielemans are on the market and clubs like Leicester get him on loan then he’s a player that would be a good addition for us.

The World Cup was the worst rationale. Everyone knows when it is. It didn’t sneak up on us.

Or maybe De Ligt will have a say in where he wants to go. Maybe he’ll want to wait for the biggest move or the biggest payday.

Maybe we were the biggest club seriously in for Alli and Eriksen. Maybe we’d done our maneuvering in months or windows before and it came to fruition when it did.

Maybe that’s what’s happening now, behind the scenes.

I don’t think Poch and Levy are infallible but I do think they know what they’re doing.

Agreed that the World Cup is no excuse. I genuinely don’t know if the club used it as an excuse though.

hang On...I blame Dier..anyone could see this player was just getting worse and worse every time he played!...why I don,t know..
there is just no football intelligence anymore,just wants to kick brick out off everyone....the guy has completely lost it..

Well whilst Dier was awful no doubting that ,Son got the red card that started the downfall and Foyth stuck the final nail in the coffin

Last time Kane was out it took him 5 weeks 6 days to recover but there was no game the weekend before so he may have been back in 4 weeks 6 days.

The Ajax game is 4 weeks 1 day since the injury and everton is 4 weeks 5 days since the injury.

They say the recovery period with this injury is less every time.

We better hope thats true or imo our CL dream dies on wednesday and the goons end above us as we play Thursdays next season.

I reckon he'll be on the bench next Sunday. Its a massive massive game for us

Or maybe De Ligt will have a say in where he wants to go. Maybe he’ll want to wait for the biggest move or the biggest payday.

Maybe we were the biggest club seriously in for Alli and Eriksen. Maybe we’d done our maneuvering in months or windows before and it came to fruition when it did.

Maybe that’s what’s happening now, behind the scenes.

I don’t think Poch and Levy are infallible but I do think they know what they’re doing.

Agreed that the World Cup is no excuse. I genuinely don’t know if the club used it as an excuse though.

Sorry mate but still don’t agree that waiting for other clubs to do their business before we sign players is lunacy. What if Emirates Marketing Project, United and Liverpool don’t sign anyone in the next window? Does that mean we should wait for them? That’s like going to look at a house and waiting for some one with more money to come and put and offer in for it. Goes without saying there will always be players who are out of our reach financially but there plenty of players who are affordable. We pretty much have to sign players that the bigger clubs don’t want or are unsure about taking a chance on, that will always be the case.

Mate, our net spend over ten years is negative. We've made more than we've spent, just from outgoings - never mind the enormous explosion in revenue from TV, commercial and so on.

We've wasted our CL premium - there was once a time when we thought it was the lack of CL stopping us from signing players. Well, we've been in the CL and absolutely nothing has changed. In fact, it's gotten worse - I prefer the days when we were out of it, because at least we signed *someone*.

We signed *no one* - absolutely *no fudging one* for 18 months. All of football thinks that's a macaronic thing to do, since no one's actually done it - but here we are, record-breakers.

In answer to your questions, it really doesn't matter how much we spend in terms of fees on players, because we made a profit on player sales in *all* of those years. He effectively spent nothing, unless you think reusing money from sales is an investment. If you hire someone to sell your car for twenty grand, and he buys three 5 grand couches and returns them to you, is that *investment* on his part? Did he take a big risk buying those couches?

Re: signing deadwood, and the resulting threat of blocking 'other signings', or the progress of the youngsters - a) well, we signed no one, so not sure what great other signings were waiting to come through the door if we didn't sign deadwood. And b) what do we want to be? If we want to be a big club, big clubs don't hobble themselves with 11-man senior squads to afford maximum space to the youngsters. That shouldn't be a primary aim, unless our academy is literally Ajax level (and it has never been), *and* our league is a feeder league, like the Eredivisie.

I know you know all this. I've spelled it out enough times. But that is lost amidst the crackling back-and-forth that *any* criticism of Levy generates - no matter how even-handed.

And as Poch said earlier this week, it’s going to be a rare and special club that manages to do what we have done over those last ten years. If ‘all of football’ thinks it’s a macaronic way to operate, maybe they’d like consistent CL football, the best facilities in the country etc? I dunno.

Note: not saying I don’t think there should be a massive rebuild this summer, because there should, and I think it will happen. But we have to look at things in context. Chelsea and United continue to spend their way to being below us in the League, one has a keeper publicly disobeying the Manager in a Cup Final, the other is paying league record wages to a signing who can’t get off the bench. And we’re the macarons?

With that said, we really do need to beat Everton. It’s Everton, mid table, nothing to play for Everton. It’s been said before, but if we can’t make top 4 given our run in, we didn’t deserve it. Bad luck counts for some, but somewhere along the line, we shouldn’t have been dropping the points we did. We’ve had tremendous amounts of bad luck with injuries, but come on lads, let’s finish the season on a high note.

They’re just knackered.

Players aren’t being picked on form currently, so there’s no competition for places.

It’s just ‘can you run a bit?’
I just can't go along with this..are they really that knackered...we should be up for it in the position we are in? A chance to once again play in arguably the best competition in football... where is the positive mentality...?
Anyway...poo......once again....
I think we need answers from somewhere seriously....

And as Poch said earlier this week, it’s going to be a rare and special club that manages to do what we have done over those last ten years. If ‘all of football’ thinks it’s a macaronic way to operate, maybe they’d like consistent CL football, the best facilities in the country etc? I dunno.

Note: not saying I don’t think there should be a massive rebuild this summer, because there should, and I think it will happen. But we have to look at things in context. Chelsea and United continue to spend their way to being below us in the League, one has a keeper publicly disobeying the Manager in a Cup Final, the other is paying league record wages to a signing who can’t get off the bench. And we’re the macarons?

It may have got us CL football in other years but we could miss out this season. Then will you accept that it was a mistake to not sign anyone?

Also our league form has gone backwards in the last couple of years. 86 points followed by 78 and now we can’t achieve more than 73. That’s regression not progression. Our CL form has been incredible but it’s a cup competition. The league is a more accurate representation of form. The stadium situation hasn’t helped but we’ve lost 13 games this season. A lot of them away from home where our form was very good last season

Calmed down and my conclusion is that the players have themselves to blame for this predicament. All this talk of tired, missing players are excuses. That team out there should have beaten Bournemouth. We are making excuses on their behalf.

Another thing that makes me laugh is when you bring up Liverpool as an example of a team that have kicked on and people reply with “yeah but they’ve spent brick loads”. And? Why is spending money on vital areas of the pitch a bad thing? It’s not like they’ve bought 7 players in one window like we did when we sold bale

It may have got us CL football in other years but we could miss out this season. Then will you accept that it was a mistake to not sign anyone?

Also our league form has gone backwards in the last couple of years. 86 points followed by 78 and now we can’t achieve more than 73. That’s regression not progression. Our CL form has been incredible but it’s a cup competition. The league is a more accurate representation of form. The stadium situation hasn’t helped but we’ve lost 13 games this season. A lot of them away from home where our form was very good last season

No I won’t because being too outcome dependent in the short term isn’t the best way to understand long term strategy. What if we signed players and finished 6th? What if we signed players, and sold the ones we still have well below market value, limiting our ability to make moves further down the line?

Not denying our league form has regressed. This team needs rebuilding and peaked in 16/17. But again, I look at the context. And I think back to which players were available that were obvious improvements. And I think now to the ridiculous luck we’ve had with injuries. But we are where we are, we have our plan and our strategy and I back Levy and Poch to keep us progressing over the long term.

Another thing that makes me laugh is when you bring up Liverpool as an example of a team that have kicked on and people reply with “yeah but they’ve spent brick loads”. And? Why is spending money on vital areas of the pitch a bad thing? It’s not like they’ve bought 7 players in one window like we did when we sold bale

They also waited until they could sign the precise players they wanted and didn’t settle for second rate alternatives. It meant they had a fair few years finishing below us but they’re reaping the benefits now.

When people were looking at the fixtures they were saying 3 points against this one. 3 against there! You don’t all of a sudden win games after being on a crap run!! I said this back then and it’s become true!

Just secure cl football for next season. Even if we beat Ajax Wednesday we have no chance vs Barca !

No I won’t because being too outcome dependent in the short term isn’t the best way to understand long term strategy. What if we signed players and finished 6th? What if we signed players, and sold the ones we still have well below market value, limiting our ability to make moves further down the line?

Not denying our league form has regressed. This team needs rebuilding and peaked in 16/17. But again, I look at the context. And I think back to which players were available that were obvious improvements. And I think now to the ridiculous luck we’ve had with injuries. But we are where we are, we have our plan and our strategy and I back Levy and Poch to keep us progressing over the long term.

I think most people back Levy and Poch, but asking why we didnt bring someone in in Jan, even on loan when Dembele left, is justified. Tielemans for example was available on loan and wouldnt have earned more than Dembele

Back