• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland Match History 1898-2013 (Asia Trophy)

"It seems like he twisted his ankle, it could be sprained ankle ligaments," said Villas-Boas. "Hopefully there is not too much damage as he has a good range of movement still, but it is swollen a bit. We hope it is nothing very serious, the MRI scan is positive and he'll be back for the start of the season."

hmmmm he had the scan already?

"It seems like he twisted his ankle, it could be sprained ankle ligaments," said Villas-Boas. "Hopefully there is not too much damage as he has a good range of movement still, but it is swollen a bit. We hope it is nothing very serious, the MRI scan is positive and he'll be back for the start of the season."

hmmmm he had the scan already?

Sounds like it's tomorrow, not sure where you got your quotes from.. but..

Tottenham Hotspur manager Andre Villas-Boas says 26-year-old defender Jan Vetonghen will undergo a scan on an ankle injury he suffered in Wednesday's 3-1 defeat to Sunderland.

Vertonghen has also tweeted: "Let's hope the injury isn't to bad. Scan tomorrow morning. Thanks for your messages."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/23430608

my fault i misread/misunderstood the quote..

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has no further news on Gareth Bale
Last Updated: July 24, 2013 4:26pm
Share:
Andre Villas-Boas: Hoping Gareth Bale will be involved in next Asia Trophy match
Andre Villas-Boas: Hoping Gareth Bale will be involved in next Asia Trophy match
Sky Bet

Tottenham's Next Match
Crystal Palace 4/1
Draw 5/2
Tottenham 7/10
Football Betting
£10 Free Bet
Andre Villas-Boas refused to elaborate further on the future of Gareth Bale after watching his side lose the first game of the Barclays Asia Trophy.

The Welshman, whose future remains the subject of fevered speculation, was not involved in Wednesday's 3-1 defeat by Sunderland at a rain-swept Hong Kong stadium.

Reports in Spain suggest he is poised to join Real Madrid while the Spurs hierarchy have continually stressed that the club's most prized asset is not for sale.

On Tuesday, Villas-Boas said: "He is a player that we are willing to continue to have, he's a Tottenham player, he's one of the most fantastic players in the world at the moment and we are counting on him for the future."

Speaking after the Sunderland game, Villas-Boas said: "I can't make any more comments because I made it during the press conference for this game, so I don't want to repeat myself in all press conferences."

"I can't make any more comments because I made it during the press conference for this game, so I don't want to repeat myself in all press conferences."
Andre Villas-Boas
However, Villas-Boas has said there is still a chance that Bale could be involved in the final match of the Asia Trophy against South China on Saturday.

He told Sky Sports News: "We're trying to get Gareth involved in training tomorrow . Not with the team, unfortunately, but on his own.

"It depends. If we see some evolution on his injury we might give it a try but if not then he will probably be on the bench (against South China)."

Another worry for Spurs was the forced substitution of Jan Vertonghen, who left the field holding his knee and was sent for a scan.

As to the game itself, he added: "It was a pity that we committed a couple of mistakes after taking the lead. It was impossible to play football as the conditions were extremely poor.

"The boys gave it a try and in the end through a bit of tiredness we conceded two more goals to give the advantage to Sunderland; we must learn from our mistakes.

"We spoke in the dressing room about this but the pre-season is about these things, about correcting things when they go wrong. The physical side is important. Sunderland are a bit further ahead in their preparation.

"We gave 90 minutes to a couple of our players which is a positive from the evening, and some of the others have improved their stamina, which was good."

Results have next to no meaning during pre-season. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong, but especially with regards to the match today:

- Our starting XI today could well be our second choice XI by the first day of the season (bar Walker).

- The pitch was a bog, which was always going to play into Sunderland's hands.

- There were several bright moments and evidence of understanding between players: Sig and Dempsey were a constant threat in the box, Adebayor was frequently involved and dovetailed well with both of them, could have had a goal but for a good save from the ex-gooner and if Defoe could place shots he would have had at least 1. How are we supposed to be clinical with the same profligate strikers!?

I am more disappointed by the potentially serious injury of Vertonghen than losing 3-1 today.

Spot on =D>

Also, support from Spurs Asia fans looked immense! Looked like genuine fans too, in that they knew the songs and actions :)

So why are we there risking injuries to our players, while not learning anything meaningful from the games because we are playing a second string, who probably will be sold soon? Poor club management. Are there no indoor stadiums in HK?
There shouldnt be any 'pitch-fault' excuse for us. Sunderland are playing on the same pitch as well.

From what I remember from about the last 20 odd years, our pre-season performances have been inversely proportional to our in season performances.

Loads of times in the 90s/early 00s we beat all comers in pre-season, then went and had crap years. More recently we've looked stuttering and disjointed, then gone on to have our best seasons.

I think in sports science its called peaking - at a time like this you want players to be pretty much at the bottom of their curve.

Honestly mate, don't bother trying to be rational here...some people cannot wait to swing their boots...I think it's pathetic personally. Pre-season is PRECISELY about seeing what needs to be done squad-wise, etc...needless to say, I agree with every word.

Then what is the point of playing the game full stop?

Why use players you are not going to keep? Getting them fit for someone else?

Yes mate.

So as we can release money for incoming fitties from other places! Also, you play systems and shapes with the squad you have at hand so as those who are going to be around at least understood what should be happening...

There is no melt down, it just would have been nice to see some forward thinking ( Carrol and Townsend start in a 4-4-3) etc, instead we learnt nothing new, same old players struggling to create anything, to me it was square pegs in round holes.

There is no melt down, it just would have been nice to see some forward thinking ( Carrol and Townsend start in a 4-4-3) etc, instead we learnt nothing new, same old players struggling to create anything, to me it was square pegs in round holes.

Starting with 12 men would have been an interesting experiment.

Carroll today would have been a waste of space though, can't pass quickly if it gets caught in the lake.

Central midfield is probably where we don't need to improve, we have three beasts, Dembele, Sandro and Paulinho.

But what we need next to them is someone who can play with the ball, use it, keep it, roll it around, make things tick. A luka Modric really... Unless Dembele can do that job.

The problem is on the wings, Lennon does nothing and isn't good enough, siggy and Dempsey are average at best and defoe and Ade are not good enough either.

So far in terms of quality we have:

--------------Lloris

Walker---xxxx---Vertonghen----xxxx

xxxxx- Paulinho-- Dembele---xxxxxx

---------------Bale-------------------

------------xxxxxxxx--------------

The rest just not good enough. We need 5 players then we can challenge

So what about Chadli?

Starting with 12 men would have been an interesting experiment.

Carroll today would have been a waste of space though, can't pass quickly if it gets caught in the lake.

We still would have struggled with 12, I think he would have been ok on the left of a 3, just try something different not Scot and Tom.

It's that some fans here seem to be ok with us losing that annoys me. It was the same at the end of last season. It was ok to finish 5th behind arsenal because they had a better run in than us/ have a better squad than us/ have more money than us etc. when is our acceptance of mediocrity as fans going to end?

I don't care if its a pre season friendly, I want us to win. It breeds confidence, builds a mentality that we have been lacking for decades now.

As we saw last season we cannot afford to drop points at the start of the season. We need to be sharp and ready from the offset. Well today I thought that Sunderland looked more ready than we did.

It's that some fans here seem to be ok with us losing that annoys me. It was the same at the end of last season. It was ok to finish 5th behind arsenal because they had a better run in than us/ have a better squad than us/ have more money than us etc. when is our acceptance of mediocrity as fans going to end?

I don't care if its a pre season friendly, I want us to win. It breeds confidence, builds a mentality that we have been lacking for decades now.

As we saw last season we cannot afford to drop points at the start of the season. We need to be sharp and ready from the offset. Well today I thought that Sunderland looked more ready than we did.

It was ridiculous conditions and as I said in the OMT, you learn more from failing and this is the time to learn.

100% agree. We need a winning mentality not a hope for the best one.

A winning mentality?

The players barely celebrated our goal. Just like every other friendly i have ever watched. The players understand that it is about fitness and preparing for the season.

I would prefer it if we win, however if we lose every single friendly and we get all the players fit and raring to start the season against crystal palace i would be happy. Non-competitive games are just that, not competitive.

It wasn't ok to finish behind Arsenal, but it was understandable. They deserved it with the run they put together.

This season's board meltdown has started in earnest I see, is July 24th a new record?

I don't see it as a meltdown.

I think it is a bit more constructive to be a meltdown.

At the end of the day, we should beat Sunderland no matter what the team, but especially as everyone of those who played today could be seen as 1st team regulars.

if we lose to Palace 3-1, I'll be a little aggrieved.

Sunderland away in Hong Kong in brick conditions in a pre-season friendly? Couldnt give a toss.

Here! here! a loss is a loss and draws to weak teams doesn't cut it for me,while we are losing our preseason others are still winning.The statement by AVB that Sunderland are further ahead in their prep really tinkles me off.

Back