• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Tottenham Hotspur v Sunderland Match History 1898-2013 (Asia Trophy)

Results have next to no meaning during pre-season. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just wrong, but especially with regards to the match today:

- Our starting XI today could well be our second choice XI by the first day of the season (bar Walker).

- The pitch was a bog, which was always going to play into Sunderland's hands.

- There were several bright moments and evidence of understanding between players: Sig and Dempsey were a constant threat in the box, Adebayor was frequently involved and dovetailed well with both of them, could have had a goal but for a good save from the ex-gooner and if Defoe could place shots he would have had at least 1. How are we supposed to be clinical with the same profligate strikers!?

I am more disappointed by the potentially serious injury of Vertonghen than losing 3-1 today.

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Really disappointed about the defeat. Was looking forward to playing Emirates Marketing Project in the final. Never thought we will lose to Sunderland. But can undertstand why we lost this match.

As soon as I saw Gomes in goal, knew we were not taking this match seriously. There is no point playing players who have no future at the club. Then we had more problems playing in the water-logged pitch compared to Sunderland. And the players seem to be mentally affected more when Vertonghen got injured.

We were also undone by individual mistakes. Hudd's mistake gifted them their first goal. Friedel should have done better for their second goal as his positioning was poor. With a player covering the other post, he should have covered the post nearest to him. Defoe and Adebayor should have done better with the one-on-one chances. It is really wasting time expecting both to score those chances as they are both very poor in those situations. Due credit to Sigurdsson for scoring the goal and Walker for creating it for him.

Hope we will do perform much better against South China. Want to see us play our first eleven in that match.

Really disappointed about the defeat. Was looking forward to playing Emirates Marketing Project in the final. Never thought we will lose to Sunderland. But can undertstand why we lost this match.

As soon as I saw Gomes in goal, knew we were not taking this match seriously. There is no point playing players who have no future at the club. Then we had more problems playing in the water-logged pitch compared to Sunderland. And the players seem to be mentally affected more when Vertonghen got injured.

I didn't watch the game, but now you've said that Gomes was playing I feel much better about the result, but quite baffled that he was playing. As you said, he has no future here so why bother? Maybe it was a chance to put him in the shop window in a televised friendly, but Im guessing that didn't work.

I didn't watch the game, but now you've said that Gomes was playing I feel much better about the result, but quite baffled that he was playing. As you said, he has no future here so why bother? Maybe it was a chance to put him in the shop window in a televised friendly, but Im guessing that didn't work.

Frankly, Gomes only played in the first half and didn't do much wrong, apart from a freekick which he almost fumbled. You cannot blame him for their first goal either. Thought Friedel was more at fault, especially for their second goal.

Gomes has nothing to do with how cr@p we were going forward

Gomes has nothing to do with how cr@p we were going forward
Played first half only, made one save from a fierce shot more or less straight at him which a better keeper might have caught instead of fisting it forcefully away. Maybe it was swerving though.

Friedel looked much more solid second half despite conceding twice. He made at least three excellent saves, one that was quite breathtaking when he somehow reached a shot from short range that was heading right into the top corner.

Agree with the poster who says Gomes has no future in our squad.

IMO this was a match where AVB could run his eye over some of the fringe players and see if they were desperate to fit in his plans. The result is unimportant but individual performances were.

I only saw the few minutes of highlights and did not see anything particularly bad or good from anyone.

Frankly, Gomes only played in the first half and didn't do much wrong, apart from a freekick which he almost fumbled. You cannot blame him for their first goal either. Thought Friedel was more at fault, especially for their second goal.
Friedel saved us from conceding five with a couple of great saves. I don't see how you can possibly blame him for the second goal. It was a corner it was impossible for the keeper to come out and catch, and the header was right down in the corner.

Back