• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

~ OMT ~ TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC v Liverpool FC ~ THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL ~ 2019 ~

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It’s a silly rule that I think will be done away with after next year due to all the penalties that will be given. The other side of this is that defenders often put their arms behind their backs when in the box, and Sissoko had his out - HIS mistake, and Mané was smart enough to kick the ball at his arm.

What a terrible, terrible, terrible start.
Toby and trippier put their arms behind their back, I do think this can make the player off balance although as it’s not a position you would naturally take if you were to lean forward or be off balance and need to be able to support yourself.

Sissoko was pointing for someone to cover, as a lot of players do all over the pitch and then the ball hit him in the armpit from close range. I think there should be a review regarding the spirit of the handball rule, I’m sure it’s initial addition was to prevent players from willfully intercepting the ball, punishable by a penalty if it was in an area where it could prevent a goal. I’m not sure the ball hitting the arm from close range, when the ball is going away from the goal is really something that should be rewarded by a penalty. Or should we just say any hand contact a a free kick or pen and take away the debate?

Exactly this. If it happened in the other box, I’d have been furious if we didn’t get a pen.

It was stupid from Sissoko to put himself in that position. Looked like he was telling someone to mark in behind. I’m sure Toby and Jan had that under control. Sissoko was naive and stupid and Mane exploited it.

What a fudging start. 30 bloody seconds. Such a kick in the stomach for us.

I still maintain it's not a penalty, the ball was kicked onto the angle of his chest/shoulder, what's a person meant to do after it bounces off them. If this is a penalty we'll see dozens of them next season. Farcial.

During my era, neither of Liverpool's goals would have stood but Damir Skomina was spot on with both his major decisions in Madrid
Keith Hackett

This was a match that underlined how refereeing has evolved and the transformation in how certain rules are interpreted. During the era in which I refereed, which spanned from the 1970s until the mid 1990s, neither of Liverpool’s goals would ultimately have stood and yet Damir Skomina was spot on with both his major decisions on Saturday night.

As a referee, you know that the players will be especially nervous at the start of a match of this importance but Skomina was ready and immediately got himself in an ideal position for Liverpool’s opening attack. Some people will view his award of a penalty as harsh - and it would certainly not have been given several decades ago when we concentrated on...

Unfortunately the rest is behind a paywall. I assume the handball is a matter of intent and thee old-fashioned view that handball has to be deliberate. But what was the issue with Origi's goal?

I still maintain it's not a penalty, the ball was kicked onto the angle of his chest/shoulder, what's a person meant to do after it bounces off them. If this is a penalty we'll see dozens of them next season. Farcial.
I’d have been more accepting if the initial shot had directly hit his arm.

But the fact it was ball to chest - then ball (4 inches travel) to arm - and not arm moving to ball in any way, makes it a lot harder to swallow for me.

During my era, neither of Liverpool's goals would have stood but Damir Skomina was spot on with both his major decisions in Madrid
Keith Hackett

Unfortunately the rest is behind a paywall. I assume the handball is a matter of intent and thee old-fashioned view that handball has to be deliberate. But what was the issue with Origi's goal?
Can only guess it could’ve been due to Mane being miles offside when Origi struck his shot and whether he affected Lloris... Would just be our luck that a UEFA rule change costs us dearly but then gets reversed after being deemed unfair!

0E3982FB-3FE8-4F40-A03A-63F5E8CDA8C2.jpeg

I don’t think it should be a pen but by the letter of the law it is. It rolled down onto his hand. Ridiculous I know.

I don’t think it should be a pen but by the letter of the law it is. It rolled down onto his hand. Ridiculous I know.

I've seen dozens of these types of incidents where everyone agrees it hit the body not the arm and therefore no penalty so I don't really understand ho this is any different.

Is this a penalty?

Different rules back then, intent was still a factor, that was clearly accidental.

There isn’t any relevant comparison to last night as the CL started using a different interpretation in the later rounds and the new ifab wording literally came into force yesterday.

Still can't believe that the pen was given and not overturned by VAR. I am pretty sure that the ref originally gave it as he believed the ball hit Sissoko's outstretched arm. The replays clearly showed that it hit his chest just under armpit and then marginally touched his arm. At the time the ball touched his arm though it was close to his side and no longer outstretched. Really surprised that the ref was not asked to view the video before confirming the pen particularly as it was such a key decision at the start of the game, It just seemed they couldn't wait to give Liverpool the advantage.

Still can't believe that the pen was given and not overturned by VAR. I am pretty sure that the ref originally gave it as he believed the ball hit Sissoko's outstretched arm. The replays clearly showed that it hit his chest just under armpit and then marginally touched his arm. At the time the ball touched his arm though it was close to his side and no longer outstretched. Really surprised that the ref was not asked to view the video before confirming the pen particularly as it was such a key decision at the start of the game, It just seemed they couldn't wait to give Liverpool the advantage.
I thought VAR was only for clear and obvious mistakes or goals. I have to assume the VAR lot took a look, saw it was a Spurs player and gave Pool the pen (while implementing the new stupid rule that takes intent out of a handball decision). As I’ve said, the smart money now is on training sessions where attackers just kick the ball at arms to get pens.

Under the new rules is it a penalty if someone deliberately boots the ball completely away from goal at blank close range in to someones face and then the person who is struck puts his hands instinctively to his face due to the pain but in doing so inadvertently handles the ball?

We can debate the penalty forever but the fact of the matter is that it's over and done with. I'm gutted by the nature of our defeat, but all this should serve to do is see us comeback stronger.

Worth a debate on what the rules are but agreed, Pool had Salah taken out of the final last year and rebounded by signing the players they needed and winning it the year after. We should be aiming for the same.

Under the new rules is it a penalty if someone deliberately boots the ball completely away from goal at blank close range in to someones face and then the person who is struck puts his hands instinctively to his face due to the pain but in doing so inadvertently handles the ball?

Yes

Back