• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

OMT: Spurs vs Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.

Spurs Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As usual we don't make things easy for ourselves and we seem to not be able to control a game anymore, albeit this time we have more excuses and mitigating factors..

...however, it doesn't leave you confident vs PSV does it?n Oh well, we all know what things didn't happen in the summer that this goes back to don't we?:(

Good to see all our attacking players have hands in all the goals; that's a common hallmark of Poch's teams and we'll need that to continue

COYS

I just re-watched it. I can only suggest you do too.
I'll try and catch it tonight on motd iPlayer.
But as I remember it it looked like a ball out to Trippier gone wrong.
If not then a ball at that pace and height to a team mate so close is pretty poor imv.

As usual we don't make things easy for ourselves and we seem to not be able to control a game anymore, albeit this time we have more excuses and mitigating factors..

...however, it doesn't leave you confident vs PSV does it?n Oh well, we all know what things didn't happen in the summer that this goes back to don't we?:(
I’m confident vs PSV, they’re average and would have to raise their game tenfold compared to the one at their place if they are to worry us at all....

Sorry mate, could not disagree more. He is absolutely NOT that type of player and should never be used that way unless in an emergency (such as yesterday). His best position is in a narrow three through the middle or with at least the option to go left/right. He is absolutely never going to be a Palacios type player (they're nothing alike), ditto Parker.

One thing I find interesting is that despite the hammering you're giving him, we worked our way into a 3-0 advantage with him filling in that role. Our concessions (I think we'd agree) were largely down to other people/another person making mistakes.

I think its interesting with the Sissoko stuff that with Poch, in the same breadth he was criticising Trippier, he was praising Sissoko personally for the positions he is able to take up, his awareness of the situation and always being alert to potential vulnerabilities.

"You are going to see or have the answer. We provide [Kieran] with the platform to go forward because we create the system and dynamic to put him in the best position to play. In a different situation, I think he is a full-back, not a winger.

"It's like no different full-back in the world. When you are in possession and go forward, you need to be strong too when you are in a defensive situation. We always compensate.

If you watch the game, Moussa Sissoko compensates that situation. If we put a player high, it is because in behind we have compensated the situation to give the time to go back."

Pochettino continued: "Kieran needs to improve in the defensive situation because in the last few games you have seen that we conceded a few actions. But like him, all the players need to improve in the defensive situation."

It's not the highest praise ever, but it is a call out to something I think Sissoko actually does very well. I think we've had less control of the midfield in games this season principally when Son and Moura have both been playing. When it's Dele and Eriksen behind Kane, they are more inclined to take a touch, to drop deeper, to be a little more patient. Son and Moura's first instinct is to go forward and it makes us probably more threatening, but with a little less control. Huddersfield away had a similar story.

This is also a nice article on exactly what I have been trying to get across with Sissoko, the last line in particular:

https://www.tifofootball.com/features/moussa-sissoko-helps-to-toughen-a-brittle-tottenham/

"That isn’t to say that there are two separate Moussa Sissokos – one loathed by the fans at home, the other cherished by those who travel – because that’s not the case. However, there is a difference in appreciation, possibly instructed by the perception of his role within the context of a game. Fans in the stand can see the structural issues within their side and, not always but often, via the conversations and gestures taking place off-the-ball, they can get a better sense of what a player is on the field to do and, if he’s struggling to exert himself, why that is.

The transfer fee is also a problem, as it is with any player. When a club has spent £30m on a signing, no matter how it’s staggered, small batches of seven, or eight out of ten performances will never seem sufficient. To be fair, that’s not an unreasonable position. Neither could it be claimed that Sissoko has justified the price tag attached to him. However, there must come a point at which that old grievance is dropped, when it’s accepted for what it is, and when the player is treated without agenda and as just another piece of the squad jigsaw.

Sissoko has earned that privilege. When other players return his relevance will likely decline away again, but that Alli, Eriksen and the rest are reappearing with their side so well-positioned is testament to how he’s adapted during this trying period."

Lamelas goal - he is stood like a statue 30 yards out while everyone is on their toes. Made no impact.
Mouras goal - basically the same again.
Harrys goal - similarly positioned.

I can see he might be there looking for the outball, but he is distinctly uninvolved in any of them.

Lets be blunt - I dont think he is a good player, period. I find very few redeeming features in him at this level.

Were he at West Ham Im sure he would fit in just fine, look good even, but here? He is a class apart from everyone else.

When he goes up field, he mostly wastes it. And in doing so he breaks the flow of the team. The attack just doesnt quite work fluidly.

When he goes upfield he leaves us exposed, as was evident at the weekend.

What can he do well? A defensive shift. The boy works hard and is pretty handy defensively.
What cant he do well? Technical stuff, both in vision and execution.
What do you do with a player like that? K.I.S.S. Give him a basic, simple job, that relies predominantly on work rate and simplicity - play to his strengths to get the most out of him.

People talk about these marauding runs as a strength. They arent. Yes, he can cover some ground and it looks impressive - but then what? Almost always nothing comes of it, so whats the point?

Given the choice I simply wouldnt play him. As it seems that choice has been taken away from us, Id play him as above. Let Winks/Alli/Eriksen do the football, let Sissoko provide them the secure base to do if from.

The less invovled he is in general play the better. So absolutely no thanks to putting him in a midfield position where he is in anyway particularly invovled in play.

As a secondary point, our defense is looking poor right now, and its looking exposed. Whether its Sissoko or someone else, I think it would be smart to do something about protecting them properly until we can find a stable footing.

I don’t think anyone is saying he is Ronaldo, but he has developed into a decent squad player who can do a job.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Not going to go over the Sissoko stuff, he is what he is.
Your later paragraph is spot on though, our defence is getting exposed every week by a midfield that isn't functioning.
All the criticism of Trippier and Davies is masking the fact that they are being isolated and exposed and yet our two in the middle are still being outnumbered when teams break on us.
Where is the help for the defenders? A worrying thing about dier is that he looks to me as if he has a tendency to go closing down the ball when he has no chance of getting it and leaves a big gap for the opposition to play around him.
Dembele is done, has been since last season, Wanyama looks like he maybe not get back to full fitness.
Moura and lamela track back but few others seem to.

It's the same with our defending from the front and press. How many times did Harry press on Saturday, look over his shoulder to see who was following him and it was only lamela? You could see he was getting a tinkled off with it.
Our midfield looks really disjointed or uninterested.

It is disjointed! Neither Alli or Eriksen have played much this season, let alone together, Winks only just came back from injury and Victor is a crock! So yes - it is!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I don’t think anyone is saying he is Ronaldo, but he has developed into a decent squad player who can do a job.

I dont expect him to be Ronaldo, obviously quite the opposite in fact.

I am appreciating the strengths he does have, and looking to make best use of them.

For me, as a defensive operator, that would be him as a decent squad player who can do a job. Actually in there to do a job he is capable of. With a little practice he could do it pretty well.

Just playing him as an orthodox CM and saying "he can do a job" simply isnt true. He cant do THAT job especially well at all.

Back