• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** OMT Spurs v Fiorentina 1st leg ***

No. Play a full strength team for Fiorentina at home then the same for West Ham on Sunday. We've had 10 days off so if we can't handle that then we don't deserve to win both games.

Rest players for the 2nd leg as the LC final is just 3 days later.

Agree with this 100%. We need to get back in rhythm too...

I like this idea. It all depends on what the club has determined to be our priority. If they feel the EL is our best route to CL then Fiorentina will be the priority. If they feel a trophy is more important then they will focus on the Capital One (horrible, money-gouging credit card) Cup. I personally would love us to win another trophy. I have been lucky enough in the past to see us lift three of 'em (81 and 82 FA and 84 UEFA) and it's bloody buggery brilliant.

COYS!!!!!

I woz there too!!!!! ;)

Perhaps the best indication of team line-up for Fiorentina:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/18/nacer-chadli-tottenham-hotspur-fiorentina

Nacer Chadli and Tottenham Hotspur fit and ready for pivotal spell
• Fiorentina’s visit kicks off hectic 17-day schedule
• Chadli praises coaches’ GPS tracking
Belgian revitalised by Pochettino’s methods

Nacer-Chadli-007.jpg

Nacer Chadli believes Tottenham's high-intensity training has made a positive impact on their performances. Photograph: John Sibley/Action Images

James Riach

@James_Riach

Wednesday 18 February 2015 22.30 GMT

Shares

Nacer Chadli believes the high fitness level of Tottenham’s squad will prove pivotal during a crucial few weeks for Mauricio Pochettino’s side that includes a Europa League knockout tie against Fiorentina and the Capital One Cup final.

Spurs play La Viola at White Hart Lane on Thursday evening in the first leg of their European double-header, with a league match against West Ham sandwiched in between before they face Chelsea at Wembley.

They will play six matches in the next 17 days but Pochettino was unfazed at the challenge posed by Vincenzo Montella’s Fiorentina, confident that his side have adapted to the mental and physical exertions of Thursday-Sunday matches despite his admission that the coming weeks are the most significant in his managerial career.

Chadli stated that his fitness was the best it has ever been thanks to GPS tracking that the Spurs coaching staff use to assess the players, something he believes will see them through a difficult period.

“They [the coaching staff] don’t kill us but they want to make us better and better,” Chadli said. “If you want to be better you have to work; if you don’t work your fitness level goes down. They know what to do to get it up,” said Chadli. We can fully play 90 minutes with a high tempo.”

Asked if it was the fittest squad he had worked with, the Belgium international said: “Yes, for sure. You have everything. We work in the gym, we run outside and train always with intensity. If you don’t train with intensity it is totally different.

“He [Pochettino] says before we start that we have to be sharp. He wants to make everyone sharp and be well trained. We always train with GPS. They are looking at players if they get tired, they can see it on the GPS. The amount we run, they can check everything. You cannot cheat. Or you put the GPS on a cat, I’ve tried that.”

Advertisement
[iframe name="google_ads_iframe_/59666047/theguardian.com/football/article/ng_1" width="1" height="1" id="google_ads_iframe_/59666047/theguardian.com/football/article/ng_1" src="javascript:"[/iframe]
Fiorentina, whose squad includes the on-loan Emirates Marketing Project defender Micah Richards, sit fourth in Serie A and are unbeaten in 11 games, in good form despite the recent sale of Juan Cuadrado to Chelsea.

“I think that it is a good challenge for us,” said Pochettino. “For me personally, but I feel good. I am prepared to enjoy these moments. I think it is good for the club, good for our supporters and for our players, too.

“This is our 42nd official game in seven months and it’s important to manage the squad and always analyse after the games each case and each player. We have a strong squad for playing in the Europa League and Premier League and the final of the Capital One Cup against Chelsea, and I am happy. There is not a special worry about that. All the squad are fit and we are in a very good way.

“I think we share the same philosophy, Tottenham and Fiorentina. Maybe we play in different ways, the system is different. Fiorentina use different systems during different games but we play 4-2-3-1. But a lot of the philosophy, yes [it is similar].”

Tottenham (4-2-3-1, probable): Lloris; Walker, Fazio, Vertonghen, Davies; Mason, Bentaleb; Chadli, Eriksen, Lamela; Kane.

Fiorentina (3-5-2, probable): Tatarusanu; Savic, Rodríguez, Basanta; Joaquin, Fernández, Pizarro, Valero, Pasqual; Salah, Gómez.

Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo (Sp)

Surely, we have to play our best available team and try to get a comfortable win here. Unfortunately for us, the second leg away is just a few days before the League Cup final against Chelsea. Don't think we will be able to concentrate fully in the 2nd leg. So, if we are to progress to the next stage, we have to do it in this first leg itself.

Eriksen and Kane will be our key players again. It will be great if Kane can continue his goal run. Similiarly, Eriksen has been in great form this season Hope he too can get on the scoresheet especially from any freekicks we get. Lamela has been well in EL this season. Hope he can produce that form again. Still waiting for another magical moment from Lamela like his Rabona goal earlier in the season.

Our midfield have been getting better in recent matches, especially Dembele. Not sure how strong Fiorentina is but we need to control the midfield. Bentaleb and Mason seems to be the first choice for Pochettino. Hope they will be up for this match. Dembele have been doing well recently, especially in attack. Hope he can help us open up the Fiorentina defence. I think Dembele can unsettle their defence if he plays to his best ability.

We badly need to stop Fiorentina get that all-important away goal. If Fiorentina scores, it will be very difficult for us in the 2nd leg. Hope our defence will keep a clean sheet for once. Lloris really should be commanding our defence. Want him to be more vocal and shout at the defender to keep them more alert. Ofcourse, Lloris himself should avoid any silly mistakes like the one he made against Liverpool.

Can see this match being a difficult one. We don't seem to have a good record against Italian teams. Hope we will turn up with the right mentality and get a comfortable win.

Any official team news yet ?

Feel a bit nervous about this match. It looks more like a Cup final as we have to win this match comfortably to have any chance to progress. Hope we will play our best and get a comfortable win.

Clean bill of health! Will be vital for our treacherous run-in.. As many have alluded to, I hope for full strength tonight and on Sunday and then manage things from there, with the CC final obviously receiving preferential treatment.

It's an exciting time to be a Tottenham fan. COYS!

Clean bill of health! Will be vital for our treacherous run-in.. As many have alluded to, I hope for full strength tonight and on Sunday and then manage things from there, with the CC final obviously receiving preferential treatment.

It's an exciting time to be a Tottenham fan. COYS!
We're doomed! you blew it right there! Que injuries to Kane and Eriksen. Not even badgers can save this!

I always think you should always go out with the intention to win and the belief you will. If you don't think you can win why bother. We aren't at the stage yet where we have that ingrained in the team but I believe Poch is getting us there.
The squad is better than many believe IMO. Up until mason went off in the Chelsea win many of us (myself included) thought we were doomed if we had any injuries but dembele came and has been a major player for us. Who's to say Townsend, Bobby, ade or even Paulie couldn't be the same?

I always think you should always go out with the intention to win and the belief you will. If you don't think you can win why bother. We aren't at the stage yet where we have that ingrained in the team but I believe Poch is getting us there.
The squad is better than many believe IMO. Up until mason went off in the Chelsea win many of us (myself included) thought we were doomed if we had any injuries but dembele came and has been a major player for us. Who's to say Townsend, Bobby, ade or even Paulie couldn't be the same?

I agree regarding the squad, we have got decent options in reserve. Soldado, ade, Townsend, paulinho, stambouli, Dier, vorm,Yedlin and Davies are all pretty good back ups, I've not even included capoue, Kaboul and vlad and prob missed out 1 or 2 others.

I've always thought we've rotated in a poor way before, instead of changing 8/9 players we should be rotating 2, at the most 3 each time, that way the core of the side stays the same and hopefully performances are more stable. It's also why I think no one rates our squad, because all the fringe players are thrown in together having not played much together and without the aid of playing alongside some of the best players to help them through. Look at Dembele for example, wasn't pulling up trees in the cup teams but dropped in to the first team and he's almost a regular now.

I was expecting ITV to show it tonight, but just checked the planner and it seems that I'll be forced to watch Liverpool. Are we on TV or am I going to have to just look out of rlive updates.

Win 5-0 or lose 5-0.... Either one is a great result with the Cup Final looming... So with that in mind I'd play 2-3-5 like the old days and see what happens...

A piece of meaningless trivia: of the 32 teams in the knockout phase of the EL, Tottenham have the highest UEFA ranking (18th) and the difference between the UEFA coefficient points of Spurs and Fiorentina is the largest difference between opponents in any of the 16 matches.

I think the philosophy will be all out attack. The personnel may be different but Poch knows we need to win and by a few to have some sort of a buffer for next week so we can plan for a potential trophy.

Back