• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Old Debate w/Poll, CL vs. Trophy?

Which would you perfer?

• 3rd Place with CL Spot wrapped up

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • FA Cup with Europa Football next season

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raziel

Les Medley
Never did the poll thing before, so hopefully it works.

Not debating the "if the club should go for Trophies over a CL spot", I completely get the business model of modern football drives that.

Question for me today after seeing the FA Cup go to Cheat$ki, CC went to Pool, both may end up season out of CL spots, which do you as a fan perfer, the chance to see your team in CL, or memories of a Trophy winning day at Wembley?

Last season I would have said the FA cup option because for me its about trophies but given the fact that we probably need to get Champions League this time in order to attract quality signings and the chance to finish above both Arsenal and Chelsea then I would say that this season it has to be 3rd with CL qualification wrapped up.

As I say, normally I would plump for the trophy because it is then in the history books and increases our tally overall.

3rd Place with CL Spot wrapped up.

We'd be known as the THIRD best team in the country, ahead of the likes of Arsenal (who continuously for the past 15 years have said we are in their shadow) and Chelsea (who should rightfully be back in their place). Two teams who have done nothing but stick it to us. What would the FA Cup do? "WE WON THE FA CUP!!"... "so what, we're playing champions league next year".. I mean think about it, who's season would you rather of had.. Chelsea's or ours? I'm looking at it in that way.

Players like Modric, Bale, Hazard etc go to teams for Champions League football, to challenge for things.. not a team who win the FA Cup and will be travelling to Poland and Macedonia next season.

The game is all about winning trophys for me, no glory in finishing as one of the losers.

i used to agree with that wholeheartedly, and in an ideal world thats how football would be, but its not, if you're not in the CL you are nothing, its the biggest football tournament in the universe (hyperbole intended), it give participants a massive financial advantage over domestic rivals

the fa cup's suffering is not all about the CL though, the way the FA have let it be bossed around has undermined it's history, the final should be 15:00 on a saturday (in fact every fa cup game should), and only the final should be at wembley, after the league program has ended

Last edited:
After having a successful ECL campaign where players like Bale became household names - it would be awful not to go through that again. We need ECL both financially and for kudos (buying the players to push to be champions). The FA Cup is a great trophy but times have changed (unfortunately).

Last edited:
I wonder if any of you who think winning domestic cups are more important than CL football want Berbatov back at this club? I ask because the last time we won a domestic trophy both Keane and Berbatov decided to fcuk of to clubs that were playing CL football a few months after winning a trophy with Spurs.

We need to attract quality players as well as keep the quality players we have and the easiest way to do that is with regular CL football. No coincidence that Liverpool lost Torres when they were playing Europa League football

After having a successful ECL campaign where players like Bale became household names - it would be awful not to go through that again. We need ECL both financially and for kudos (buying the players to push to be champions). The FA Cup is a great trophy but times have changes (unfortunately).

And therein lies the rub

Is this a joke?

Who the hell cares about the FA Cup?

Oh, what a fudging surprise.
My mod status prevents me from stating exactly what I think of you as a poster.
But it starts with C, ends with T, and has two more letters inbetween.

In my lifetime I've never seen Spurs lift the FA Cup, so that'd be nice to see hopefully within the next couple of years, but the league's much more important. The cup's just a bonus, and the only way we can do well in the FA Cup is to continue doing well in the league and keep bringing great players in.

Oh, what a fudging surprise.
My mod status prevents me from stating exactly what I think of you as a poster.
But it starts with C, ends with T, and has two more letters inbetween.

"Cat" only has one letter in between.

This season, 3rd spot. Massive to keep players, build and secure stadium finance.

Generally, 'The game is about glory'

i used to agree with that wholeheartedly, and in an ideal world thats how football would be, but its not, if you're not in the CL you are nothing, its the biggest football tournament in the universe (hyperbole intended), it give participants a massive financial advantage over domestic rivals

the fa cup's suffering is not all about the CL though, the way the FA have let it be bossed around has undermined it's history, the final should be 15:00 on a saturday (in fact every fa cup game should), and only the final should be at wembley, after the league program has ended

And yet we take the tinkle out of the Arse for not winning anything, so its all right if supporters take the tinkle out of us as long as we make the top four. You can not make it up ](*,)

This season, 3rd spot. Massive to keep players, build and secure stadium finance.

Generally, 'The game is about glory'

Is 3rd not glorious? It may not be cup glory, but it's still glory, to reign supreme as the best team in the country outside of Manchester

It's not even a contest.

What is more likely to keep our top stars and attract future players and make us a better team?

A: FA Cup
B: Champions League Football.

I would much rather have the Europeon nights at WHL against the likes of Milan and Madrid against a FA Cup Trophy that most teams don't actually care about; Don't get me wrong, It's great to get a trophy but to move forward as a club, You NEED CL Football !

If Chelsea miss out on CL Football then they would quite happily swap there FA Cup for it; You think Bale or Modric will stay for another season with no CL football?

Back