• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Oh When the Spurs Go Marching in . . .

Sandman

Dean Austin
Just read this on a Southampton posting and it got my blood boiling:

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/southampton/fb_news.php?storyid=17157

Now I will admit i do not know the origins of when and how we started singing this song. But the author of the post says we have tried to steal it as ours in the last 5 years and now that they are back in the premiership they will show everyone who the song really belongs to.

Now i know for a fact we have been singing that song from at least the 70's but would be good to see if some of you know a more in depth history to this and put this taco in his place. WE have taken that song, and given it a new life. So much so that Stoke have stolen it from us.

We all know that when Stadium singing got big that a lot of teams had the same songs, liverpool and celtic with their anthems being a good example. But this guy is being plain ignorant im sure.

I know 3 saints fans.
All completely clueless.
All supported Man united before going to uni in Southampton.

I think the fact that Southampton's nickname is The Saints should give you a clue... it was their song LLLLLONG before it was ours (or Man Utd's for that matter!)
Please don't embarrass yourself by pursuing this matter on any public forum... you'll be made to look a fool!

Stoke on the other hand have simply nicked it from under everyone's nose in the last 2 years!

Please don't allow your blood to boil on this particular matter... it ain't worth it! ...who shat in our Lasagne on the other hand IS a cause worth getting to the bottom of! (no diarrhoea-induced pun intended!)

I think the fact that Southampton's nickname is The Saints should give you a clue... it was their song LLLLLONG before it was ours (or Man Utd's for that matter!)
Please don't embarrass yourself by pursuing this matter on any public forum... you'll be made to look a fool!

Stoke on the other hand have simply nicked it from under everyone's nose in the last 2 years!

Please don't allow your blood to boil on this particular matter... it ain't worth it! ...who shat in our Lasagne on the other hand IS a cause worth getting to the bottom of! (no diarrhoea-induced pun intended!)

Not sure why this is proof of anything... Their nickname may be The Saints, and it would be in their version of the song because they put it there...

Though to be honest, i don't really care....

Plenty of songs are nicked. What can't be disputed is that they way we sing it is the best.

Made me laugh how many people on the comments claiming they're about 70 odd. Not met many people of that age bracket that surf the internet so vocally

and he's probably right that it was used by them before us

but who cares, its a song for anyone to sing

If anything macnamaras band is more of a Spurs tune, but that belongs to us about as much as the Saints belongs to s'oton.

bunch of inbreds

I will sing most songs at Spurs, but the one I cannot abide is "it's a grand old team to play for"

Seriously

It would be like us singing "You'll never walk alone"

Really does my head in when that's sung, and it's most games

And not enough people sign "Glory Glory..." Apart from the Shelf

I think the fact that Southampton's nickname is The Saints should give you a clue...

What a totally useless comment. The song was about way before southampton even started using it. Just because it say saints in the chorus makes not matter to the fact at all. What i was more boiling about was that it insinuated we knicked it in the last 5 years, but the original writer has backtracked on that.

I was hoping for some informed information on it either way, and I had no intention of a internet fight, i dont do that as its pointless. I know i know, i said lets put that taco in his place. But i was never going to comment on his story, i just wanted to hear some info from intelligent spurs fans.

It's an old hymn right? About the apocolypse. Maybe there's a forum somewhere with Jesus and the Achangel Gabriel whinging about Southampton nicking it off them.

It's an old hymn right? About the apocolypse. Maybe there's a forum somewhere with Jesus and the Achangel Gabriel whinging about Southampton nicking it off them.

:lol:

Quick google found this:

"While the Spurs go Marching On" first appeared in a cartoon featured in the club programme over Christmas, 1950, showing Arthur Rowe dreaming of the Double ! (Thanks to Andy Porter - THFC Historian)

The fans started singing it as their anthem during the European campaigns of the early 1960s and there is a specific reference to the song in Ralph Finn's book Spurs Go Marching On. (Thanks to Ken Ferris)

Last edited:
I'm happy to give it back for them for a year. But we can "borrow" it for another 7 years after they get relegated next may.

Small fry.

I will sing most songs at Spurs, but the one I cannot abide is "it's a grand old team to play for"

Seriously

It would be like us singing "You'll never walk alone"

Really does my head in when that's sung, and it's most games

And not enough people sign "Glory Glory..." Apart from the Shelf

Your concern for our deaf supporters is both touching and out of character my good man...

;)

What a totally useless comment. The song was about way before southampton even started using it. Just because it say saints in the chorus makes not matter to the fact at all. What i was more boiling about was that it insinuated we knicked it in the last 5 years, but the original writer has backtracked on that.

I was hoping for some informed information on it either way, and I had no intention of a internet fight, i dont do that as its pointless. I know i know, i said lets put that taco in his place. But i was never going to comment on his story, i just wanted to hear some info from intelligent spurs fans.

Blimey... bit 'arsh!! Mind you the '...should give you a clue' bit might have sounded a little sacraaaastic, sorry if I riled you even more with my glib comment!

I definitely seem to remember Southampton fans singing it for as long as i've been going to football, but yes, Spurs fans have been singing it since the (late?) '70s.

MY point, was more that it would've occurred to Southampton/Saints fans to start singing it before Spurs fans... simply 'cos of the 'Saints' in the title... but as for us nicking it the last 5 years, no, totally not... (i'm agreeing with you btw!) maybe the 's-l-o-w' version has been around for 3 or 4, but it was already established as a Spurs song for us to s-l-o-w down in the first place!

STOKE on the other hand.... fudging pikeys nick anything, they'd be in uproar if someone nicked Delilah... but why would anyone ELSE want such a 'Crappyoke' classic associated with their club??

Ah good ol' SCBC.

ENTER THE MANDARIC

tedbatesstatue.jpg

Back