• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ofiicial RBS Bonus Thread

Is it? I assume that the teacher puts some in (thats how nurses one works) and at the end of the day it all comes from the employer anyway. How much is a teacher paid? ?ú25-30k? ?ú2k takehome? They put ?ú300 in and employer does the same? Sounds about right to me. Alternatively we could just pay them basic wage and a bag of nuts - that would save a bit. Wouldn't do too much for the education of our kids though.

If you want to attract the best people for the job you have to.........oh hang on that sounds familiar doesnt it?

Nope. Public sector pensions are not funded. They are paid out of taxation. As is the state pension. Do you think your national insurance payments go towards our pension? Your tax and NI payments are paying retired teachers and pensioners today!

Is it? I assume that the teacher puts some in (thats how nurses one works) and at the end of the day it all comes from the employer anyway. How much is a teacher paid? ?ú25-30k? ?ú2k takehome? They put ?ú300 in and employer does the same? Sounds about right to me. Alternatively we could just pay them basic wage and a bag of nuts - that would save a bit. Wouldn't do too much for the education of our kids though.

If you want to attract the best people for the job you have to.........oh hang on that sounds familiar doesnt it?

After about 5 years of teaching? Try ?ú36K. That's without London weighting.

I could be convinced either way. I wouldnt say it sounds unreasonable per se without knowledge about the rest of their package.

Personally, I'd like to see teaching attracting more top degree and post grad level people (think Brian Cox) who can inspire their students to learn and achieve, rather than dowdy also rans who do it because they couldnt think of anything else. What about you?

I guess that the former cost more than the latter.

I'm not convinced in the financial worth of halving the state contribution purely because "we can". "We could" just get rid of the armed forces and save loads. Probably wouldnt make much sense though.

I'd rather Brian Cox do research and people with 2:1 degrees in the subject they are teaching, teaching our kids. That'll do. The average teacher earns well into ?ú30k after 5-9 years service. They ain't poorly paid.

I knew that for the state pension - not for teachers (tbh I've never been sufficiently motivated to find out).

This being the case - why does changing their pension plan now help with the deficit now? Is the government so committed to helping whoever is in power in 20 years that they are prepared to surrender political capital now? I'd love to think that was true but somehow it doesnt sound it (for any colour government).

The alternative is that they want to make money in the short term with a selective tax increase on public sector workers. After all if there is no fund into which contributions can be paid, why ask for an increased employee contribution. Isnt that just an increase in NI?

I'd rather Brian Cox do research and people with 2:1 degrees in the subject they are teaching, teaching our kids. That'll do. The average teacher earns well into ?ú30k after 5-9 years service. They ain't poorly paid.

Unfortunately, we're both brick out of luck there as he has just tweeted from Australia where he's recording his new series!

The TPS (teachers pension scheme) is a contributory pension scheme adminstered independantly by Capita Hartshead. It comes with all the usual paraphernalia including AVCs etc... and is therefore at least partially funded. More info when I have it!

That's actually untrue. Whilst I don't have the figures at hand, see if you can download the recent BBC R4 podcast More or Less where they dealt with these figures. The think tank that published them went through a lot of choices to filter the numbers (which companies to select, which type of average to use, whether to include insane outliers, etc) and in every case they chose the option that created the largest increase in executive pay. This meant that they grabbed more headlines and got their names known faster than if they'd published a less sensationalist article.
The word of The Economist against Radio 4's podcast! A worthy challenge. One I shall have to indulge in this evening.

The word of The Economist against Radio 4's podcast! A worthy challenge. One I shall have to indulge in this evening.

If it's the study I'm thinking of, then the Economist was purely reporting on someone else's work. Admittedly I don't read every article in every issue so it may have been another article with their own data.

The upshot of the R4 podcast was that whilst exec pay has increased, some of the figures being suggested are ridiculous.

No disrespect mate but you're knocking on a bit now, best leave the dishing out of right handers to those younger and more able. ;)

:barnet: I feel like this is headed for a clint eastwood movie where me(eastwood) and you (robert duvall) set out to teach the youngins a thing or 2 about rerspect. But who will get the girl judi dench(DHSF).....

AVCs funded, rest unfunded (as is NHS)

They should be fully funded! And the deficit should be filled by extra contributions as happens in the private sector.

I get my statement and it tells me I'm not going to be where I need to be at 65, or whenever I retire, I either put more in or pray share prices recover!

Just as a thought experiment - why should they need to be funded? Given that (one assumes) the population of teachers in the UK is fairly static and predictable. Whats the benefit of the UK government paying money into an investment vehicle (either directly or by giving it to the teachers to pay into said vehicle)? Partcularly in the current climate when the return on investment is likely to be bugger all.

Capita are presumably able to give the figures to then go into future balance sheets as a liability. Government can now use the money either in its own investment portfolio or to invest in UK Plc (eg airport, road, rail or something else with a higher yield than traditional investment).

I'm not advocating this by the way - just interested in opinions.

I back mine up with stats, you don't. We on live in slave times!! I'm wealthy and it wasn't done off the back of the poor!!

It's 2012 mate. Not 1812!

Id expect to see pages and pages of stats to back up your claim. And yes, you very much got wealthy off of much poorer people than you. Your 2012 not 1812 is very good, although it should be me using it not you.

For example you mentioned you work in sales... was it the queen you were selling to or something ? now as its 2012 and not 1812, im guessing not. I think you mentioned you sell some sort of IT service or training courses (if not, lets just use it as an example)... you sell to companies looking to train employees, they are looking to train employees because they are taking on new people or creating new systems, the new employees or systems are the result of masses of people (so a big % are basic tax payers) wanting to buy a product or service from this company. Now personally, I see paying more tax as a result of this no problem. This 10% of people that you keep going on about as if they are owed something, no they are lucky to be in this position. Tax the lower paid people more if you want... and watch your salary dry up through the lack of sales as the very bottom of the chain cant afford the initial service/product.

As a higher rate tax payer (im not sure if im in the top 10% or not, never looked at the figures) I'm perfectly happy with the system and know that were it to be changed so more tax paid by the 90%, chances are I'd drop out of the higher rate tax payer bracket. The top 10% shouldnt be concerned with the fact they are paying most tax, but be concerned that the system that allows them to be in the top 10% stays the same.

Oh and just to add, a lot of that 10% are probably wealthy due to the overspending of the government or borrowing of money from banks. Moan about the debt, but its probably a major part of the reason you are wealthy.

Last edited:
Id expect to see pages and pages of stats to back up your claim. And yes, you very much got wealthy off of much poorer people than you. Your 2012 not 1812 is very good, although it should be me using it not you.

For example you mentioned you work in sales... was it the queen you were selling to or something ? now as its 2012 and not 1812, im guessing not. I think you mentioned you sell some sort of IT service or training courses (if not, lets just use it as an example)... you sell to companies looking to train employees, they are looking to train employees because they are taking on new people or creating new systems, the new employees or systems are the result of masses of people (so a big % are basic tax payers) wanting to buy a product or service from this company. Now personally, I see paying more tax as a result of this no problem. This 10% of people that you keep going on about as if they are owed something, no they are lucky to be in this position. Tax the lower paid people more if you want... and watch your salary dry up through the lack of sales as the very bottom of the chain cant afford the initial service/product.

As a higher rate tax payer (im not sure if im in the top 10% or not, never looked at the figures) I'm perfectly happy with the system and know that were it to be changed so more tax paid by the 90%, chances are I'd drop out of the higher rate tax payer bracket. The top 10% shouldnt be concerned with the fact they are paying most tax, but be concerned that the system that allows them to be in the top 10% stays the same.

Oh and just to add, a lot of that 10% are probably wealthy due to the overspending of the government or borrowing of money from banks. Moan about the debt, but its probably a major part of the reason you are wealthy.

You don't have a clue.

My clients are large blue chips.

My wifes business was self funded from our savings, not debt.

I have zero debt in this world.

I pay all of my taxes, every penny, when I could game the system.

I also give a sizable chunk, (thousands) to charity.

You are very sanctimonious for someone who knows fudge all.

That is all.

My clients are large blue chips.

My wifes business was self funded from our savings, not debt.

I have zero debt in this world.

I pay all of my taxes, every penny, when I could game the system.

I also give a sizable chunk, (thousands) to charity.

You are very sanctimonious for someone who knows fudge all.

That is all.

can I come and work for you?

Back