• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Official OM(usic)T Thread ***

I think simple song is up there with the best of Wincing in terms of production, and with its melodies its probably up there with the best of the Shins. its one incredible bit of work! What it dosnt have is that dark edge. The album itself tries hard to not riff on previous album tracks but the best moments like September are just that, on the surface dont sound much different but if you go back and actually compare the tracks they sound like, its pretty great to see where Mercer is going with things.

what it isnt going to do is grab you immediately. it took me a few listens. this will be in the top 10s at the end of the year by music fans.

^It's up on spotify now so I'm trying to soak it in.

Feel like I'm stuck in a bit of a rut music wise though. Don't think it warrants a new thread (take note John from Kent) but I'm going to try sum up my music taste so I can get some suggestions!

I'd say I quite like Indie music although it's a confusing definition, I mean bands like The Shins, Fleet Foxes, Beck, Band of Horses, Grizzly Bear, Foals, Vampire Weekend, Modest Mouse, Bon Iver and I also really like all of Elbows work. Also fudging love Radiohead, their experimental stuff and their more rock/alternative stuff but wouldn't say they were similar to much else I like.

Also like Jazz a lot, pianists like Herbie Han****, Bill Evans, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck, Thelonious Monk and I also very much like the Miles Davis Cannonball Adderly John Coltrane, Mingus, Dextor Gordan side of things as well. Don't know enough modern Jazz, Robert Glasper is very good though.

Like a lot of electronic music with elements of Jazz and Hip Hop. IE Bonobo, Lemon Jelly, Air, fudging love cinematic orchestra, Daft Punk, Amon Tobin, Portishead Massive Attack, Ratatat, Boards of Canada

Also a fairly big hip hop fan, like a lot of the classics like Tribe called Quest, Cypress Hill, Nas, Mobb Deep, B.I.G, Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Mos Def, The Roots,

Funk like the meters, sly and the family stone, funkadelic, James brown, Tower of Power.

Quite like the fairly old bands that you're kind of meant to like if you know what I mean, ie The Beatles, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, really in to The Doors, Jimi Hendrix.

I like Classical music as well but have got enough.

SO. What am I missing? I feel like I don't really listen to music with female vocals often enough, I think that's because I'm more interested about the music, and often female fronted bands are all about the vocals if you see what I mean, like the No Doubt or Garbage kind of thing where the attitude if more important than the music. Please not just female fronted bands suggestions though! Thanks Folks.

similar taste for me. not into hip hop except Beasties and Portishead / massive attack style dark stuff though.

id say im currently hitting a hell of alot of talking heads from all eras. sharon van etten too, and my mate keeps going on about the Antlers although im yet to discover why.

slightly random, Grabbel and The Final Cut's Psycho Popsong is perfect shiny 91-inspiral carpets-the farm-stone-roses, which got a reissue and sounds alot like echo and the bunnymen. I was recommend it by someone and its lovely

similar taste for me. not into hip hop except Beasties and Portishead / massive attack style dark stuff though.

id say im currently hitting a hell of alot of talking heads from all eras. sharon van etten too, and my mate keeps going on about the Antlers although im yet to discover why.

slightly random, Grabbel and The Final Cut's Psycho Popsong is perfect shiny 91-inspiral carpets-the farm-stone-roses, which got a reissue and sounds alot like echo and the bunnymen. I was recommend it by someone and its lovely

fudge me The Antlers are fudging amazing. Bit like a cross between Radiohead ok computer era and Grizzly bear. Really like them! Listen to the newest album, it's on spotify. Unbelievable. Exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Can't get in to talking heads though to be honest, just sounds a bit too cheesy and 80's to me to be honest

I had a listen to Alabama Shakes album on the way to work earlier this week. The obvious comparisions would be early Kings of Leon and The White Stripes (they’re signed to Jack Whites label too). They fit the mould for all the bands that have made it big coming from the USA to break the UK and then go back to try and break the US, and I think that they will.

I saw that NME gave their album a 7/10 which I think is quite fair, perhaps mine would be about a 6.5/10. Nothing that blows me away, safe and easy for people to get into while the band grows, then 2nd/3rd album they will have the hits for the masses a la KoL

Feel like bumping my post at the top of this page, just one guy with suggestions? Really?

I've also listened to Port of Morrow a fair few times Webb, just can't get in to it unfortunately, feels like I've been a bit cheated, it's like they've taken the minor things that were slightly grating on wincing the night away and based a whole album on it in my opinion. everythings just so damn sparkly, think James is drunk at the helm and needs to have a listen to the shin's debut to remember what it was all about

Feel like bumping my post at the top of this page, just one guy with suggestions? Really?

I've also listened to Port of Morrow a fair few times Webb, just can't get in to it unfortunately, feels like I've been a bit cheated, it's like they've taken the minor things that were slightly grating on wincing the night away and based a whole album on it in my opinion. everythings just so damn sparkly, think James is drunk at the helm and needs to have a listen to the shin's debut to remember what it was all about

Have you checked out Bleech?

Have you checked out Bleech?

Just listening to them now but via crappy laptop speakers, will give them more of a chance later on when housemates aren't in bed etc etc

Upon first listen I'm not sure if it's my kind of thing though, are you involved in the distribution of their stuff? If I'm honest the album on Spotify has a bit of a demo-y feeling to it production wise and I'm whether I'm a fan of the guys voice. Thanks though! Possibly looking for stuff that has a similar vein to my other tastes

Think these guys are gonna produce alot of good music in the coming years.

[video=youtube;ugkLFwqslp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkLFwqslp8[/video]

spurspinter you look kind a devoid of punk/hardcore/metal/grunge, that stuff knits together alot of your other likes.

hes definatley shifted towards the mainstream theres no doubt about it, back in 2001 very few would have said this lot have the longevity to keep doing the dark, obscure pop... it wasnt until chutes that our lot cottoned onto the lighter pop aspect which was just about visible on the previous album, and W was a furthur move on from that, and this one moreso. The broken bells thing was probably more what youre after, its alot closer to the 2nd half of wincing, total experiment territory and being free of the band is where he was heading - As for the new one theres still a gloomyness to it which I recognise, such as no way down. I wouldnt say he was drunk, id say Port is the natural progression, shed of the 'lesser' musical talent which probably still wanted to remain indie - one of the sacked lot bought a burger van. As for sparkly, they have always been on the edge of twee hence Garden State. Funnily the shins get stick for that film, but frou frou spawned an entire genre, endlessly copied and rehashed.

i dunno, its pretty good as a shins album. its moved forward, and thankfully away from Bells.

Indigo Girls, Rilo Kiley, Beach House.

I've also listened to Port of Morrow

they put out a live EP yesterday, with versions of these songs - i strongly advise getting hold of them. the production is pretty different, its mixed differently etc, youll notice the songs are alot like the better shins stuff in my opinion. Im starting to think Morrow is a bit over-produced myself, when compared to the stripped down acoustic versions. you can appreciate the structures better when you hear the difference - theres a great KCRW live show from 2002/3 sometime where its just Mercer and a harmonica/guitar and it totally changes your perspective on the songs.

live versions of sleeping lessons are all better than the studio etc.

Ep is called From the Lot

Am liking currently

Santigold, Master of My Make Believe

Alabama Shakes, Boys & Girls

Django Django, Django Django

I stumbled across Charles Bradley a couple months ago and just got his album. Sounds like he's been transported straight out of 70s Detroit, awesome.

[video=youtube;MTy7ugrSFz4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTy7ugrSFz4[/video]

Back