• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official No game this weekend OMT

With Lloris and Eriksen ill, I wonder if some of the other players might not be at 100 %
That's a good point. Watching the game it seemed to me like the players were playing trying to conserve energy, which seemed a bit strange given we do not have another PL game for a while. And I did mention earlier that we hardly won the ball in their third, meaning we were not pressing as hard as we used to. With 8 days off, you would think we'd be all over them.

Not sure Sissoko was knocking that out of play for the injury. Think it was a pass.
I think this showed how shot of confidence he is. Any other player would have just kept playing, but he was so unsure of himself he took the easy option and kicked it out of play. No one would blame him, since there was a player down, but it was the cowardly thing to do.

Very fair, but if you're criticizing Sissoko for being bad *in this game*, then you surely have to acknowledge that he wasn't even in the top three worst players out there *today*. He isn't the reason we threw points away - at least, not the primary reason.

He had a major role in the first goal. Aurier has pushed up and is out of position, so rather than do what he subsequently did the rest of the match, Sissoko stands there yelling at Aurier and pointing at the gaping hole into which Bertrand was breaking whilst telling him to run there! Here’s a thought Moose old boy? Why not cover for him and talk about it once you’ve snuffed the danger out?

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Absolutely agree. With our need for a goal, why oh why did Poch take off our in-form goalscorer? You should never EVER take Son off when we are in need of a goal. He can pull something out of nothing as he has on several occasions already this season. It would almost be as cardinal a sin as taking Kane off in similar circumstances.

This one is on Poch. He picked the wrong team and demonstrated yet again that his in-game reading of a game is poor - as demonstrated by his diabolical and late again substitutions. It just shows how much we missed Eriksen's creativity and not signing Barkley could well come back to haunt us. We desperately need creativity in the team when Eriksen is not there. Please, please buy someone that can play there.

Also, please can we ban mid winter breaks in the sun from now on. After last season's, immediately afterwards, we drew 0-0 with relegation candidates Sunderland, and now we have drawn with another bottom three side after sunning ourselves in the sun. We started slowly and never settled into our game. We were second best pretty much all over the pitch and I can't really think of one Spurs player that played well today.

A bad day at the office for all concerned.

Barkley is not yet match-fit. Winks was a huge miss in Eriksen’s absence too. We need a little more off the bench TBH...

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

llorente cost a fudging fortune too, Kane was a freebie, the logic doesn’t work
Well if Llorente was that expensive ,it's money down the drain if he is not being used,while Sissoko is.
I know he,s had some lack lustre games but that's lack of playing time with the team.
Notice he was used for arguably the toughest game..RM.
If Chelscum had bought him I believe they would have used him and they would have him scoring goals!
That makes me sick..we could have a powerful twin attack here,even if was just the second half.
This player needs time. You have to admit it's a mystery why he not being used.
Maybe Poch has looked at the team and thinks it's a waste of a midfield player with Kane upfront as well but the dilemma is we have one of the best headers of a ball...in fact the best header of a ball in the
Premier League doing nothing..LOL...

That's a good point. Watching the game it seemed to me like the players were playing trying to conserve energy, which seemed a bit strange given we do not have another PL game for a while. And I did mention earlier that we hardly won the ball in their third, meaning we were not pressing as hard as we used to. With 8 days off, you would think we'd be all over them.
In the pre match interview Poch was asked, was he having to start several players that were not fully match fit? His typically rambling and somewhat defensive answer indicated that that certainly was the case, but that he would not allow it to be used as an excuse because we so urgently needed to impose ourselves and win all three points.

Son certainly looked to be struggling for whatever reason and Kane's performance was also a notch below what we have come to expect. Who knows about the rest but it was clear that our pressing was way below the usual standard.

However given Poch's pre-match comments, the fact he then delayed so long in turning to Lamela and Wanyama tells us he was clearly even more worried about their match fitness than the players already on the park.

In the circumstances to come away with a point against a team that put up such a strong fight maybe has to be seen as a point salvaged rather than two points dropped.

Not new, and it's something he's been stubborn about for a very long time now. I might be wrong about this, but I think I saw a graphic a while back that said that we were the last team to use our subs (per ninety minutes) in the entire top six - we routinely wait until 70 minutes plus to bring ours on.

It's a bit puzzling, to be honest. He lunches with Fergie to try and learn from him - but Fergie was a master at using subs to change a game, and didn't give a damn if the players felt unhappy about being dragged off. If a United player played like ours did today, he was coming off - no ifs and buts, he was useless and everyone would know it when the board went up. And that worked.

Poch is the exact opposite in-game - he'll never bring anybody off even if we're being utterly massacred. I suppose that it's because of changing times - footballers are more sensitive and demanding these days. Or maybe it's just the youth of these players relative to the ones late-era Fergie used to use. But, despite that, those are constraints other managers have, too - and I don't think any of them outright hate early substitutions as much as Poch does.

I posted this in the Pochettino thread a few weeks back but does feel pertinent again...

Average minute of 1st / 2nd / 3rd substitute

Conte: 53 / 69 / 80
Guardiola: 59 / 71 / 78
Mourinho: 63 / 71 / 80
Wenger: 67 / 73 / 79
Klopp: 65 / 75 / 83
Pochettino: 69 / 81 / 89

AVG excl Poch: 61 / 72 / 80

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...o-jurgen-klopp-not-impacting-games-subs-like/

Last edited:
I posted this in the Pochettino thread a few weeks back but does feel pertinent again...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...o-jurgen-klopp-not-impacting-games-subs-like/

Furthermore, according to an article I just read, in the last 99 subs Poch has made, their sum total has been one goal and one assist between them. Hardly game changing.

I think there is something to this, but I also think the quality on the bench means a manager is more likely to make a faster change. Guardiola often has one of Aguerro/Jesus, sometimes Sane and players like this on the bench who can make a real impact. Conte has Willian, sometimes Pedro and Fabregas on the bench too. Mourinho often has Martial or Rashford on the bench. Klopp and Poch have less on the bench in terms of game changing players (changed a bit for us now Lamela is fit again) so are less inclined to use their subs to change the game.

Definitely an area that Poch can improve though.

Furthermore, according to an article I just read, in the last 99 subs Poch has made, their sum total has been one goal and one assist between them. Hardly game changing.
Might that not just as easily be used as a justification for making less use of subs though?. Maybe underlines our lack of game-changers from the bench as compared with the riches that the likes of United, City and Cheatski can call upon.

For the stat to have any real value we'd also need to compare the number of goals and assists achieved in those last twenty minutes by players already on the pitch. I'll wager it's a sight more per attacker than per sub over the same game-time.

If so it could well turn out that Poch is right to make less use of subs than our money-doped rivals.

Poor performance and we deserved no more than a point. Difficult to say how much of a factor illness was over and beyond the obvious miss that Eriksen was.

Can't for the life of me understand why Sissoko started and was left on the pitch.

Whilst our squad was down to barebones earlier in the season due to injuries, we did have Lamela plus Wanyama on the bench yesterday. Can only assume that both had a touch of the cold virus and the medical staff deemed them not well enough to play more than a handful of minutes.

FWIW, stumbled across this article which shows that Pochettino used to get his subs on the pitch a tad quicker back in his Southampton days...

DB4F2FD1-85CE-4207-A908-80C3D2F87950.jpeg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-important-are-substitutions-in-football.html

Last edited:
I wonder if the longer time to make subs if winning is evidence based or just psychological?

Jansenn came on as sub against Swansea away and got an assist
Sissoko came on in a game I can’t rememebe and got an assist
Wasn’t kanes pass to Alli the other week when he came on as sub after being ill too?

Wasn’t kanes pass to Alli the other week when he came on as sub after being ill too?

Also, didn't Lamela set up Eriksen's goal at City last season after coming on as a sub. Or was that two years ago?

But the 60,000 dollar question, is who scored our solitary goal after warming the subs bench?

Indeed it was. But because Dele scored from the rebound rather than directly from receiving Kane’s pass, it apparently doesn’t count as an assist. A good example of why judging subs on goals and assists (whilst of maybe some value) doesn’t necessarily reflect the impact a sub has had on the game.

(Edit - am I thinking of the right game or mixing two games?)

Indeed it was. But because Dele scored from the rebound rather than directly from receiving Kane’s pass, it apparently doesn’t count as an assist. A good example of why judging subs on goals and assists (whilst of maybe some value) doesn’t necessarily reflect the impact a sub has had on the game.

(Edit - am I thinking of the right game or mixing two games?)

Same game
Swansea
And the sub scoring was son
But didnwinks score as a sub vs West Ham at home last season???

Back