• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*Official Match Thread* Tottenham Hotspur vs Norwich

I hope this Lloris fella bangs some goals in when available. He is a striker....right??

Defoe has always been an impact player for me. Can make something happen from the bench. He is just not good enough to lead up front. He's had so many chances to cement his place in the team, and has never done it. And we give him a 3 YEAR DEAL? Absolute madness.

Adebayor is the ONLY player we have now able to lead up front. Why the fudge no other out and out striker was brought in is totally beyond me, and is a huge mistake. What happens if Ade gets injured? We are fudged.

I had a ton with my goon mate that AVB would still be the Spurs manager at the beginning of next season. I just texted him to see if he wanted it tonight.

Oh I love being a Spurs fan!!!

It's not worth posting this as too many of ours fans are convinced that there are tactical genius's and that football isn't very straight forward and what you see is what's really happening, but here goes anyway.

Why would anyone, whether they've won the WC and CL as manager or never coached at the highest level, ask a team with Gareth Bale, Lennon and Adebayor to press high up the pitch thus making it smaller?

I'm sick of reading about how certain defenders aren't suited to a high line, but what about the fact we've got two of the fastest wide players in world? Waht about the fact Ade is brilliant at working the channels and holding the ball up, but fairly average at everything else? Why play in a way that doesn't make the most of these incredible attributes some of our players have? Why look to win the ball back to early, it's not like we have neat and tidy, tika-taka style players who are at their best playing intricate football in the opposition half? We can blow teams away on the break.

We are Spurs, we play open and wide, it's made us one of the most effective and certainly the most attractive team in the Prem over the last 3 years. I don't want Ade, Bale and Lennon to play neat one-two's etc. All we needed was a top class player with a bit more craft as an alternative to Lennon and Bale, a fitter CB than Leds and better striker than Defoe. We don't need big changes to our style.

Very good post.

It's not worth posting this as too many of ours fans are convinced that there are tactical genius's and that football isn't very straight forward and what you see is what's really happening, but here goes anyway.

Why would anyone, whether they've won the WC and CL as manager or never coached at the highest level, ask a team with Gareth Bale, Lennon and Adebayor to press high up the pitch thus making it smaller?

I'm sick of reading about how certain defenders aren't suited to a high line, but what about the fact we've got two of the fastest wide players in world? Waht about the fact Ade is brilliant at working the channels and holding the ball up, but fairly average at everything else? Why play in a way that doesn't make the most of these incredible attributes some of our players have? Why look to win the ball back to early, it's not like we have neat and tidy, tika-taka style players who are at their best playing intricate football in the opposition half? We can blow teams away on the break.

We are Spurs, we play open and wide, it's made us one of the most effective and certainly the most attractive team in the Prem over the last 3 years. I don't want Ade, Bale and Lennon to play neat one-two's etc. All we needed was a top class player with a bit more craft as an alternative to Lennon and Bale, a fitter CB than Leds and better striker than Defoe. We don't need big changes to our style.

Great post which highlights the problems in having this guy as our coach. Just why are so many people enamoured with him anyway, what special gift does he bring to the table? I thought the football played by Chelsea under AVB was dire, so I cannot fathom the attraction. Please enlighten me.

My concern is the excuse that the problem is we do not have players to play the 'system' yet. If that is where we are going then it is more vacuous than I could have ever expected. AVB needs to show some pragmatism and flexibility if the true problem is personnel and preparation time. We need results now and more importantly performances. Norwich did well today, fair play to them. They were no more defensive that we were, and had chances. What worries me is how flat, uninspiring and clueless we were. This was not lost on the the 36k fans in attendance.

Today and last week were obviously very disappointing results. But we have to be patient. Lets wait and see what team he plays when he has everyone fit and available. Its not fair to judge him after just three games.

I agree there are some worrying signs but I for one am prepared to give AVB the benefit of the doubt for now and will wait to see how HIS team develops before jumping to a quick decision.

I personally wouldnt start with two DMs at home against lesser clubs. I think Defoe (who only seems to score after the 60th minute) and Lennon are best as impact subs when the defenders are tiring. Bring in Ade for Defoe, Dembele for Livermore, Parker for Sandro, Dempsey for Lennon, Kaboul for Gallas and all of a sudden we have a completely different team.

Lets just wait and see shall we.

Im not sure that its people being enamoured with him at all, rather just recognising he is a new manager with a different way of working to the last who needs time and support before getting on his case

Im not sure that its people being enamoured with him at all, rather just recognising he is a new manager with a different way of working to the last who needs time and support before getting on his case

I will support him, and believe he does need time. But am not going to ignore what he did last season, and some of the decisions he made today. Ones which the previous manager would have been destroyed for.

Great post which highlights the problems in having this guy as our coach. Just why are so many people enamoured with him anyway, what special gift does he bring to the table? I thought the football played by Chelsea under AVB was dire, so I cannot fathom the attraction. Please enlighten me.

I'd actually like to ignore the fact AVB is in charge for a moment, as it will naturally turn into a pro Harry/AVB anti HArry/AVB debate. When we discuss the actual managers, fans usually buy into the myth and try and excuse certain things.

So forgetting who is in charge, I'd honestly like to know why anyone, no matter what their coaching experience, would want to play in a way that doesn't make the very most of our players greatest attributes?

My concern is the excuse that the problem is we do not have players to play the 'system' yet. If that is where we are going then it is more vacuous than I could have ever expected. AVB needs to show some pragmatism and flexibility if the true problem is personnel and preparation time. We need results now and more importantly performances. Norwich did well today, fair play to them. They were no more defensive that we were, and had chances. What worries me is how flat, uninspiring and clueless we were. This was not lost on the the 36k fans in attendance.

The players we have now are more than capable of playing together in A system, though not necessarily THE system. The biggest concern for me so far is the lack of drive. When other teams attack they can cut through us sometimes and always seem to have several people in the box to attack crosses. Our crosses doesn't even make me bat an eyelid.

Bad substitution two weeks in a row

Two weeks in a row takes Defoe off, brings on an out of shape midfielder who has not played for yonks.

I knew when JD went off andf HUDD came on, we were in trouble.

It was not att all a safe option. JD wins free kicks which is what you want when you are winding down the clock.

Yes sub him with 3 or 4 minutes to go, but cetainly noy for HUDD, it was like playing with 10 men. A terrible shot and a terrible challenge that was his contribution.
same with Jenas last week. I wondered if AVB hasd learned his lesson.

They score and we have lost one of if the most potent goal threat we had on the pitch, which is not saying much I know.

Why bring on unfit player, who you were looking to get rid of , a few hours ago? Yes if we had Dempsey to come on, no problem, but not Hudd or any of the other options available.

Same costly mistake two weeks in a row.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have a little different view of it all. I think the players you mention are to develop and exploit their strengths in a more stable way to play as a team. Playing with high pressure is efektivt against both the good and bad teams, to ensure that it becomes a fast pace, then skill will be the deciding factor in a game like that favored the better team. I hope Spurs will be the better team in most games we play and have a greater skill than the opponents. But for all the teams, there must be some smart players that can read what is happening at the moment and adapt to it, do they exist in today's Spurs?

Ps: And do not worry if I understand you or not, I hav enough years at university to follow your reasoning :))

The players we have now are more than capable of playing together in A system, though not necessarily THE system. The biggest concern for me so far is the lack of drive. When other teams attack they can cut through us sometimes and always seem to have several people in the box to attack crosses. Our crosses doesn't even make me bat an eyelid.

Point well made, and that speaks to what I am saying about the 'system'. Rigidity would be a recipe for disaster considering the recognised need to allow things to develop. I have said elsewhere that the team we had available are, and remain, fully capable of performing well. That they did not today, and have not yet so far this season, is the concern I have. The lack of drive is worrying, everything was flat today - maybe we lacked a real leader?

I don't like losing and I loved having having Arry as manager. However this guy has been bought in to do a job and at the moment it isn't happening. I am sure if the results don't change in the next month Levy will be having a word in his ear and explaining that things need to turn around or otherwise he is out.

What a lot on here are saying is that the team is OK on paper but in their opinion the players aren't playing in the right position or formation. Well we can all be armchair pundits and "player managers" but when it comes to the crunch this guy has won stuff in Portugal (OK you may think it is a poor league) and he was employed by a successful club(Chelsea), so why not give him a dozen games and decide from there just before the January window. If he is doing crap then we bring in a new manager and let him spend the transfer kitty.

The thing that really gets me is all the people that are having a go at him would be silent if we had won the last three.

Back