• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Holtby

There was some article about not being able to find him a perfect position in the starting 11 and something about they have an under-performing VDV that they are seemingly refusing to drop and it means Holtby is getting shoe-horned into different roles.
Maybe someone has seen that article, I will try and find it. It was about what is wrong with Hamburg this season.

EDIT: Found it...
http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014...oltby-encounters-familiar-problem-at-hamburg/

Although it's from back in Oct-14 so the situation could have completely changed since then.

From his facebook ->

Flashback evening to remember the nice Moments at the lane! Love to our Spurs Fans and of course our HSV Fans!!
Coys/nur der HSV :))))))))

1488065_10153023725079404_1763063073342353433_n.jpg

Lewis Holtby shows some real passion when confronting angry fans after a recent Hamburg defeat. This is the type of attitude and passion i'd like to see in our current team. Get him back in I say :-

Only problem is that passion alone does not get you results.

Ability plays a much bigger part - and, much as he a great lad, Lewis Holtby fails big time in that dept

Only problem is that passion alone does not get you results.

Ability plays a much bigger part - and, much as he a great lad, Lewis Holtby fails big time in that dept

Gotta disagree with you here mate, Holtby has quite a bit of ability on the ball and picks out passes that most players in our current squad don't even see. I think that he is another player like Lennon, someone who could give us something but has fallen short of what Poch wants and thus fallen out with the coach.

On paper he looked like a perfect player to slot into the Poch system, high energy, decent passing range and an eye for goal. His problem though was always his inability to hold his defensive position, which limited where he could fit on the pitch, especially with Eriksen being his superior at #10.

Lewis Holtby shows some real passion when confronting angry fans after a recent Hamburg defeat. This is the type of attitude and passion i'd like to see in our current team. Get him back in I say :-

http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideo...-confronts-irate-hamburg-fans-2-0-loss-video/

Really? Looks like he completely lost his head and let passion get the better of him. Passion is useful, but you need other mental attributes too and passion without composure is often of little use.

Edit: And one more thing. Shouting at a fan like that? I don't think that would be well received at all. Could quickly earn him a Ghaly-type gtfo reaction.

Also they're bottom of the Bundesliga. Bottom... Whatever positive things can be said about his attitude it's seemingly not doing Hamburg much good.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree with you here mate, Holtby has quite a bit of ability on the ball and picks out passes that most players in our current squad don't even see. I think that he is another player like Lennon, someone who could give us something but has fallen short of what Poch wants and thus fallen out with the coach.

On paper he looked like a perfect player to slot into the Poch system, high energy, decent passing range and an eye for goal. His problem though was always his inability to hold his defensive position, which limited where he could fit on the pitch, especially with Eriksen being his superior at #10.

And another thing. He's still relatively young and very inexperienced in the premier league. He showed glimmers of skill and vision that might have developed. And in a team lacking in visible leaders his passion might have given us more energy in our recent turgid displays.

That's what these fora are there for... disagreement. If the guy did not shine in a poor Fulham team, he sure as hell is not going to do so with us.

That's what these fora are there for... disagreement. If the guy did not shine in a poor Fulham team, he sure as hell is not going to do so with us.
TBH not that I know what position exactly he played at Fulham, but plenty of players (especially centre-mids) don't exactly tear the world up in lesser teams. Think Mason in the lower leagues. Hell as dirty as it makes me feel using gooners as examples, even Coquelin, he was playing for Charlton in League 1 for most of this season!!

I think he might be good competition for Mason, similar sort of combination of industry and technical ability. But I'd say whether he gets sold or not depends more on what price we can get... (probably not very high if Hamburg are bottom).

One thing I noticed when he was at Fulham was that he wasn't tearing around the pitch like a jack russell chasing a tennis ball. In fact he didn't really put in the miles at all and it looked like he couldn't give a brick. Coach gave it to him with both barrels too if I recall.

I still think there is a role for Holtby in our setup as a number 10 if he can bring a little more positional discipline to his game. He has a good eye for an incisive pass and plenty of energy. As good a backup as we could hope for Eriksen if you ask me unless they think Pritchard is ready for it.

i want him back. maybe hsv going down will temper his expectations and concede that he needs to just work with poch's philosphy and fight for his place.

edit: maybe paul mitchell's stats will have the last say about holtby ... i think he's the type of player who is able to chalk up lots of moneyball points

On HSV boards they seem to think that a transfer is done and dusted. They are pretty concerned; seem to think it is in the region of the 6.5 million euros. They are debating whether they'll have to shift him straight away at a huge loss if they are relegated, as HSV alreasy have financial problems.

For anyone that is interested, they recently sacked their coach Josef Zinnbauer and replaced him with a completely arrogant and power hungry director of football, Peter Knäbel. This Knäbel fellow seems to have lost touch with reality, and has ZERO coaching experience. For the past few years he's been technical director for the Swiss national team. Its a complete joke whats going on at HSV at the moment.

Also, Holtby speaking to the fans is nothing new at the moment. The whole thing is wildly out of control. After every hammering Volan Behrami goes to the fans and and chats with them; Heiko Westermann also talks a good game in interviews, showing 'passion'. These players are trying to save face: they are all part of a problem thats going to see a giant of a football club (admittedly in hard times) getting relegated. HSV also have a clock in the stadium saying 'Bundesliga Club since....' as they have never been relegated.

I really like HSV and have tickets for the home match with Augsburg on the 25th, but I'm worried I might witness their de-facto relegation. They are away to Werder Bremen on the weekend (huge local rivalry) who can't wait to stick the knife in. Its then Augsburg at home.

As for Holtby, despite being out for a large period, he's been largely inneffective. He normally gets deployed as a wide forward, argues that he should be playing number 10, fans think he should be one of holding midfield two but think he possibly lacks discipline for the role. Sound familiar?

I'll happily fill in any gaps for anyone ref. German/Austrian football if they like :)

EDIT: here is the discussion on a HSV forum I'm on about Holtby apprantly being signed:
http://www.rauten-forum.de/lewis-ho...-spieler-trainer/hsv-f1/t5787-f3/index74.html

The main discussions were a few pages before, but this page is also interesting because they are talking, basically, about how crap Holtby has been and that he is also partly responsible for their situation.

Mouthing off in front on cameras and debating with fans isn't hiding how crap these players are on the pitch. HSV fans are sick of this 'passion'.

Last edited:
Be nice to have a player who actually looks like they give a fig about the team, compared to our shower of pussies.

On HSV boards they seem to think that a transfer is done and dusted. They are pretty concerned; seem to think it is in the region of the 6.5 million euros. They are debating whether they'll have to shift him straight away at a huge loss if they are relegated, as HSV alreasy have financial problems.

For anyone that is interested, they recently sacked their coach Josef Zinnbauer and replaced him with a completely arrogant and power hungry director of football, Peter Knäbel. This Knäbel fellow seems to have lost touch with reality, and has ZERO coaching experience. For the past few years he's been technical director for the Swiss national team. Its a complete joke whats going on at HSV at the moment.

Also, Holtby speaking to the fans is nothing new at the moment. The whole thing is wildly out of control. After every hammering Volan Behrami goes to the fans and and chats with them; Heiko Westermann also talks a good game in interviews, showing 'passion'. These players are trying to save face: they are all part of a problem thats going to see a giant of a football club (admittedly in hard times) getting relegated. HSV also have a clock in the stadium saying 'Bundesliga Club since....' as they have never been relegated.

I really like HSV and have tickets for the home match with Augsburg on the 25th, but I'm worried I might witness their de-facto relegation. They are away to Werder Bremen on the weekend (huge local rivalry) who can't wait to stick the knife in. Its then Augsburg at home.

As for Holtby, despite being out for a large period, he's been largely inneffective. He normally gets deployed as a wide forward, argues that he should be playing number 10, fans think he should be one of holding midfield two but think he possibly lacks discipline for the role. Sound familiar?

I'll happily fill in any gaps for anyone ref. German/Austrian football if they like :)

EDIT: here is the discussion on a HSV forum I'm on about Holtby apprantly being signed:
http://www.rauten-forum.de/lewis-ho...-spieler-trainer/hsv-f1/t5787-f3/index74.html

The main discussions were a few pages before, but this page is also interesting because they are talking, basically, about how crap Holtby has been and that he is also partly responsible for their situation.

Mouthing off in front on cameras and debating with fans isn't hiding how crap these players are on the pitch. HSV fans are sick of this 'passion'.

Thanks for the background mate, very interesting.

I've not checked the thread yet but since you offer - did you give your views on this Wimmer chap? :)

Thanks for the background mate, very interesting.

I've not checked the thread yet but since you offer - did you give your views on this Wimmer chap? :)

+1 this. We had all been waiting for Armchairs views over in the Transfer Rumours thread

I certainly wouldn't mind to have him back. I would rather have him as back-up and competitor to Eriksen than Paulinho, that is for sure.

Back