• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Defoe has always been a streaky goal scorer who hits a purple patch once a season when he looks like a top notch forward (as opposed to Adebayor who has one good season per club) but invariably sinks back to an average of 1 goal every other game. Even after his promising start to the season when it looked like he had evolved into more of a team player JD's still only averaging 15 passes per game this season; compared to 22 for Adebayor, 25 for Ba, 27 for RvP, 36 for Suarez and 47 for Berbatov. Hence why we've never had to fend off bids from the likes of ManU and Real Madrid for Defoe.

If we're ever going to narrow the gap on ManU then it is going to require either our scouts finding another hidden gem like Berbatov / Ba or Levy splashing out £20m+ on a more recognised forward player like an Aguerro / Drogba / Suarez / RvP. Fingers crossed we can afford to do so before the new stadium is up and running.

If you think about it Redknap is the one who's made him, West Ham, us, Pompey then us again, did he not start at Charlton?

Wonder how many mis-hit shots there are in there?!

The fact that you don't rate Defoe is understadable, even if you go too far with your level of bias against him. But I really don't get why you rate Adebayor so much higher. To say he has flattered to deceive in his career is the understatement of the fudging century! At least Defoe doesn't have a questionable character and is reliable. He's always been described as an utter professional. I don't deny Adebayor has more talent, but if you look at the goal record of both strikers (which ultimately is what strikers are judged on), there isn't much to separate them. And don't you find it suspiscious that whilst Adebayor has always been seen as a player who can be world class on his day, he hasn't done it consistently enough throughout his career?

The fact that you don't rate Defoe is understadable, even if you go too far with your level of bias against him. But I really don't get why you rate Adebayor so much higher. To say he has flattered to deceive in his career is the understatement of the fudging century! At least Defoe doesn't have a questionable character and is reliable. He's always been described as an utter professional. I don't deny Adebayor has more talent, but if you look at the goal record of both strikers (which ultimately is what strikers are judged on), there isn't much to separate them. And don't you find it suspiscious that whilst Adebayor has always been seen as a player who can be world class on his day, he hasn't done it consistently enough throughout his career?

I think it's just 25 years of supporting Spurs. We seem to prefer brilliance and inconsistency, to try-hards with little talent.

A beautiful 70s Italian sports car than always breaks down, over a Ka that will chug along at 50mph till doomsday. A Berbatov over a Crouch. An Adebayor over a Defoe.

Defoe is off form at the moment but he gets less of a hard time about it than others. If we win when he is off form that is no problem for me. If we lose when he is off form then that causes me concern. When he directly contributes to our loss then that causes me even more concern.

I think it's just 25 years of supporting Spurs. We seem to prefer brilliance and inconsistency, to try-hards with little talent.

A beautiful 70s Italian sports car than always breaks down, over a Ka that will chug along at 50mph till doomsday. A Berbatov over a Crouch. An Adebayor over a Defoe.

Never a truer word spoken

touche!
when we lose we're supposed to still do it with glory.

Soo frustrating from jermain again. Might be an exageration but he always seemed to hit it straight at the keeper, which for me is down to poor technique, or just plain match rustiness or dare i say it a lack of confidence.

Would be interested to see if anyone could find the stats on how many of his shots are at the middle of the goal rather than either side. He's never been a goal poacher more the hit it hard type of striker but GHod knows with ade unable to find the net i really worry.

If a player is stretching like he was for the second chance - I doubt you can really direct the ball - its just a matter of trying to get something on the ball and hope it goes in.

Soo frustrating from jermain again. Might be an exageration but he always seemed to hit it straight at the keeper, which for me is down to poor technique, or just plain match rustiness or dare i say it a lack of confidence.

Would be interested to see if anyone could find the stats on how many of his shots are at the middle of the goal rather than either side. He's never been a goal poacher more the hit it hard type of striker but GHod knows with ade unable to find the net i really worry.

defoe doesn't really place or even aim, i think he mostly just tries to get the best strike on the ball in the "general direction" and then hopes for the best.

watch all his goals and count the number of times they went under/through the legs of defender and/or keeper and you'll know what I mean.

Twitter / WhoScored: Jermain Defoe: Has failed to score with his last 28 shots; only Suarez (32), Balotelli (30) have had worse shooting spells in the PL 2012/13 #-o

defoe doesn't really place or even aim, i think he mostly just tries to get the best strike on the ball in the "general direction" and then hopes for the best.

watch all his goals and count the number of times they went under/through the legs of defender and/or keeper and you'll know what I mean.

Defoe has a talent for being able to strike the ball powerfully with either foot with minimal backlift which catches defenders and goalies out occasionally but rarely does he actually find a corner of the goal. Can see the contrast in styles between him and Berbatov yesterday; Berbatov has a quick look up before the ball comes to him to see where Lloris is before stroking the ball into the unprotected part of the goal whilst both times Defoe just goes for power and hopes the Schwarzer is not standing in the right place.

http://windycoys.com/2013/03/analysis-of-the-goal-conceded-against-fulham-173/
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/tottenham-0-fulham-1-000100927.html

Last edited:

Twitter / WhoScored: Jermain Defoe: Has failed to score with his last 28 shots; only Suarez (32), Balotelli (30) have had worse shooting spells in the PL 2012/13 #-o

Defoe has a talent for being able to strike the ball powerfully with either foot with minimal backlift which catches defenders and goalies out occasionally but rarely does he actually find a corner of the goal. Can see the contrast in styles between him and Berbatov yesterday; Berbatov has a quick look up before the ball comes to him to see where Lloris is before stroking the ball into the unprotected part of the goal whilst both times Defoe just goes for power and hopes the Schwarzer is not standing in the right place.

http://windycoys.com/2013/03/analysis-of-the-goal-conceded-against-fulham-173/
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/video/tottenham-0-fulham-1-000100927.html

Sorry mate Berby scuffed the shot, windy is a great blogger but he is wrong about that. All those on MOD2 said the same.

Last edited:

Sorry mate Berby scuffed the shot, windy is a great blogger but he is wrong about that. All those on MOD2 said the same.

Hairy muff, I haven't seen a good angle of Berbatov's goal to see quite how he struck it. As Steff says, if only Defoe had scuffed his 2nd chance into the right side of Fulham' goal beyond Schwarzer' reach! Hopefully it will be 29th time lucky for JD against Swansea...

I'd still prefer some effort over the occasional flash of brilliance. Sometimes a sports car that always breaks down isn't a luxury you can afford, especially when you don't have solid backup. Which is evident in our current scenario.

I can't dance with that, hopefully in the next few games he will add to the 132 goals he has already scored for us.

Absolutely.
Like you, I patiently (and positively) wait every game for either one of them to score. As long as we're winning it's never as much of an issue obviously...

I can't dance with that, hopefully in the next few games he will add to the 132 goals he has already scored for us.

Park Lane you're like a beaten wife always making excuses or apologising on behalf of the one who abuses you and causes you so much pain. You bandy around his goal total as if we should be grateful and impressed by his paltry average of 14 goals a season in all competitions. [-(

Park Lane you're like a beaten wife always making excuses or apologising on behalf of the one who abuses you and causes you so much pain. You bandy around his goal total as if we should be grateful and impressed by his paltry average of 14 goals a season in all competitions. [-(

I feel no need to apologise for a guy who is our 8th highest scorer of all time, its just the so called fans who do not appreciate what he has done over the years who i feel sorry for.

I guess I must be one of those 'so called fans' as I don't bow at mighty Defoe's feet. I'm just not impressed by his record whether that makes him top 8 or top 3 I find it a fairly irrelevant statistic in the grand scheme when you you at his record in detail.

It says a little more about our inability to keep the few quality strikers we have had in the premier League era especially.

Back