• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

What is actually the difference between 4-4-1-1 and 4-2-3-1 other than the wingers being higher up the pitch when you write it out? Who the players are and their individual instructions are far more important than a sequence of numbers.

I agree, I do not think that our formation now is significantly different to the one that we played in the first half of last season, the difference is the personnel.

Defoe is playing superbly in my opinion. He is playing little intricate through balls and holding the ball up better and more intelligent running.

I did get tinkled off with him yesterday in the last minute or two when he could have maybe gone to the corner and tried to hold it up but I suppose by that time he just looked knackered absolutely ran himself into the ground

I agree, he does get a bit knackered on about 80 mins, when he plays up top alone, He does a lot of pressing, which helps the team a lot . He disrupts the other team a lot with it.

His movement off the ball was phenomenal yesterday, best shown by bales goal but he did it all night, ran their defense all over the place. A big difference between the game yesterday and those early in the season for me as it gave lennon and bale so much more room to work with.

He also played a small part in Vertonghen's goal by dragging Ferdinand towards the channel

He also played a small part in Vertonghen's goal by dragging Ferdinand towards the channel

Yep, in previous matches he would have been standing static in the middle of the penalty area waving his hands for the ball before getting frustrated that either they didn't pass to him or the ball was cut out because he was too easily marked. A massive improvement imo, and the first time I've seen Defoe effective against a quality opposition - and he did so without scoring.

^ was going to mention that - all too many times in the past we have seen Defoe (as well as our other attacking players) not know where to make runs off the ball to either give the player in possession a better chance at goal or get himself in to a good position. whether this is part of the new regime or not only time will tell, but it is encouraging

Can someone please tell me what the fudging fudge 4-4-x is?

Basically last season Moonlit kept telling everyone that the team we were playing(with Rafa behind Ade) is exactly the same as playing Defoe and Ade and that both are 4-4-2. Now not to make a mug of himself again he does this 4-4-x crap.

Yep, in previous matches he would have been standing static in the middle of the penalty area waving his hands for the ball before getting frustrated that either they didn't pass to him or the ball was cut out because he was too easily marked. A massive improvement imo, and the first time I've seen Defoe effective against a quality opposition - and he did so without scoring.

Spot on. I cant stand Defoe but has improved big time this season. Very good yesterday making runs and creating space.

Spot on. I cant stand Defoe but has improved big time this season. Very good yesterday making runs and creating space.

the diff i believe is AvB and not so much Defoe. Harry don't think defoe alone will work ... so do many of us. AvB on the other hand made it work ... well almost. It worked for away games and i guess big games where teams come at us and we have lots of space. AvB still need to make it work for "easy" home games.

i am more encourage that AvB have the capacity to make things work when others couldn't. That is the diff between tatic and "just go run about".

He was really good yesterday and he worked his socks, his off the ball running is a major improvement this season and we have both AVB and Defoe to thank for that. Towards the end of the game you could see he was knackered but he was running and encouraging our other players to do the same.

More than a small part I would say, if he doesn't make that run the goal doesn't happen.

Great game last night I though, worked his socks off as the lone striker and tracked back as well. Wasn't always all that effective in his pressing when defending, but he got right side of the ball and kept working.

He was really good yesterday and he worked his socks, his off the ball running is a major improvement this season and we have both AVB and Defoe to thank for that. Towards the end of the game you could see he was knackered but he was running and encouraging our other players to do the same.

Further proof of a manager who can see what he has in his locker. Both Defoe and Azza, two players who I fear were drifting into oblivion, are like new signings!

More than a small part I would say, if he doesn't make that run the goal doesn't happen.

Great game last night I though, worked his socks off as the lone striker and tracked back as well. Wasn't always all that effective in his pressing when defending, but he got right side of the ball and kept working.

He had a part in all three:

1st - his run creates space for SuperJan

2nd - his run takes Evans away and lets Bale breeze past Rio and simple finish for his goal

3rd - his excellent pass to Bale after Gareth's run into the area, shooting and setting up the parry for Clint.

I am absolutely pleased with Defoe's contribution so far this season. I would have sold him pre-season with happiness.

the diff i believe is AvB and not so much Defoe. Harry don't think defoe alone will work ... so do many of us. AvB on the other hand made it work ... well almost. It worked for away games and i guess big games where teams come at us and we have lots of space. AvB still need to make it work for "easy" home games.

i am more encourage that AvB have the capacity to make things work when others couldn't. That is the diff between tatic and "just go run about".

So far this season...THIS

Do you really truly believe that Harrys mantra was to tell every to 'run around'? you dont get to Quarters in CL by running around and you dont have 454 finishes in the league employing the same philosophy. It wasnt just Harry who thought Defoe couldnt play on his own - lots of people thought the same so many.

There is a change in Defoe's game and yeah it may be down to AVBs coaching but it could also be Defoe having all this confidence and playing like a free man. It may well be because he sees himself as the main man now so has to play like one. He could have learnt from the likes of Ade and VDV?

Do you really truly believe that Harrys mantra was to tell every to 'run around'? you dont get to Quarters in CL by running around and you dont have 454 finishes in the league employing the same philosophy. It wasnt just Harry who thought Defoe couldnt play on his own - lots of people thought the same so many.

There is a change in Defoe's game and yeah it may be down to AVBs coaching but it could also be Defoe having all this confidence and playing like a free man. It may well be because he sees himself as the main man now so has to play like one. He could have learnt from the likes of Ade and VDV?

Harry got caught in the normal British media cliche, he is small so he can't play on his own. " You need a big man to knock the ball down.

It is great that at last Defoe appears to have the right manager, it has come very late for him and us, but it is worth a lot.

Harry got caught in the normal British media cliche, he is small so he can't play on his own. " You need a big man to knock the ball down.

It is great that at last Defoe appears to have the right manager, it has come very late for him and us, but it is worth a lot.

And what often pundits media etc fail to notice is that most of the top 4 teams over the years didn't play with a 'big man to knock the ball own'.
A very important example is Arsenal, as atre Manure mostly imho

Back