• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Official - Defoe

Re: Jermain Defoe

Let's say I agree with the 2 poor games which I don't, I've seen all strikers have poor games. I've seen Messi and Ronaldo have poor games. I'm not quite sure how not behaving like a complete taco over it constitutes as being a delusional fan boy ?

Ah i see what you're doing. This is more to do with an agenda you probably have with a mod which has resulted in your childish "if he can say it so can i" statement. I'll back out.

For somebody else that is genuinely interested in the topic of Jermain Defoe and not simply scoring points. These are the ratings people gave him on here for previous games:

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?2569-Ratings-v-Norwich (averages a 4 rating vs Norwich)

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?2401-Ratings-v-Saudi Sportswashing Machine (averages a 7 vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine ..btw i gave him a 7 with my hating ways)

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?2489-Ratings-v-WBA (averages a 5 rating vs WBA)

So again i'll ask, how exactly has Defoe been so impressive since AVB has taken over?

Ah i see what you're doing. This is more to do with an agenda you probably have with a mod which has resulted in your childish "if he can say it so can i" statement. I'll back out.

re agenda: I honestly have no idea what you mean. If thats your way of getting out of answering the question, then I'll back out too.

For somebody else that is genuinely interested in the topic of Jermain Defoe and not simply scoring points. These are the ratings people gave him on here for previous games:

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?2569-Ratings-v-Norwich (averages a 4 rating vs Norwich)

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?2401-Ratings-v-Saudi Sportswashing Machine (averages a 7 vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine ..btw i gave him a 7 with my hating ways)

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/showthread.php?2489-Ratings-v-WBA (averages a 5 rating vs WBA)

So again i'll ask, how exactly has Defoe been so impressive since AVB has taken over?

There's lots, but one way could be 3 goals in 4 and playing a lone striker when like you, the hater, says he is incapable of doing it ?

Could somebody please answer me how exactly Defoe has been a "different class" since AVB has taken over?

We've played four games so far and i judge his all around performance as ok, poor, poor, and very good. Am i wrong to think this?

Are you Gutter Boy in disguise? Just asking

Different formation basically. Yesterday we played 4-3-3 (not that anyone seemed to notice.....)

What I did notice is that our midfield and defence were not hoofing the ball in the air for him to battle against 6 foot tall central defenders. Methinks that makes a bit difference

There's lots, but one way could be 3 goals in 4 and playing a lone striker when like you, the hater, says he is incapable of doing it ?

You're not getting it and probably won't but i'll try one last time.

I am discussing his all around game when playing as the lone striker. You might simply look at his goalscoring stats of 3 goals in 4 games and point to that as evidence as his being able to play that role but others tend to investigate further. For 2 of those 4 games he was anonymous. Forget the fact that he didn't score which isn't that big of a deal to me, he actually offered nothing to our general play. He did nothing at all and the Norwich and wba cb's had a very easy afternoon. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine he was decent though and looked dangerous at times.

My point is some people are going overboard with the praise. He played well yesterday but to say he's done this and done that since AVB has taken over is pushing it. If he had 3 good games and one decent one i could understand that comment but 2 poor games, 1 decent/pretty good and 1 very good game out of 4 doesn't mean he's suddenly transformed into a new super striker since avb has taken over.

Last edited:

Are you Gutter Boy in disguise? Just asking

I do worry about some people on here tbh. More caught up with their favourites having good games so they can scream "I TOLD YOU SO" then actually analysing a players all around game. A response like that would be perfect for someone that maybe stated Eden hazard hasn't started the season well for chelsea or RVP hasn't started the season well for United but when you respond like that to someone saying defoe's all around game hasn't been "different class" this season then theres something really wrong.

You're not getting it and probably won't but i'll try one last time.

I am discussing his all around game when playing as the lone striker. You might simply look at his goalscoring stats of 3 goals in 4 games and point to that as evidence as his being able to play that role but others tend to investigate further. For 2 of those 4 games he was anonymous. Forget the fact that he didn't score which isn't that big of a deal to me, he actually offered nothing to our general play. He did nothing at all and the Norwich and wba cb's had a very easy afternoon. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine he was decent though and looked dangerous at times.

My point is some people are going overboard with the praise. He played well yesterday but to say he's done this and done that since AVB has taken over is pushing it. If he had 3 good games and one decent one i could understand that comment but 2 poor games, 1 decent/pretty good and 1 very good game out of 4 doesn't mean he's suddenly transformed into a new super striker since avb has taken over.

I'm not getting it ? You asked what is so impressive since AVB took over, I gave you a fact. It's an answer to your question. I'm not looking at simple goalscoring stats, I'm looking at what is impressive, scoring 3 in 4 as a lone striker is 2 examples. Here's 2 more, his general link up play and movement has also been impressive. There's 4 answers. I don't quite think It's me thats not getting it. Or would you rather I didnt give an answer ? Or could it simply be, like I said, no matter what I or anyone else says, you are a hater, and yet from my first response I actually said you wouldnt get it and there's no point explaining, and I was right.

For the record I did not at any time say he has been different class this season. I actually thought against Norwich he was poor just like most of the team and expected Ade to start yesterday. But he did not and yesterday despite a few misses I think he had a very good game and should definetly start him in our next league game.

It just seems for some reason over the years you are Gutter Boy rightly give him stick when he has a poor or indifferent game but find it hard to praise him when he has a good game. Sure you could say it was "only Reading" but in that case no Spurs player or AVB deserves any praise because it was "only Reading".

I find it interesting that some people talk as if it was a lesser win because it was "only Reading". Well I remember us getting beat by "only QPR" and "only Norwich" last season.

Last edited:

I'm not getting it ? You asked what is so impressive since AVB took over, I gave you a fact. It's an answer to your question. I'm not looking at simple goalscoring stats, I'm looking at what is impressive, scoring 3 in 4 as a lone striker is 2 examples. Here's 2 more, his general link up play and movement has also been impressive. There's 4 answers. I don't quite think It's me thats not getting it. Or would you rather I didnt give an answer ? Or could it simply be, like I said, no matter what I or anyone else says, you are a hater, and yet from my first response I actually said you wouldnt get it and there's no point explaining, and I was right.

yes ok Wriggly...now say i'm acting like a taco again to really show the mods you mean business and you're not going to stand for it:ross:

For the record I did not at any time say he has been different class this season. I actually thought against Norwich he was poor just like most of the team and expected Ade to start yesterday. But he did not and yesterday despite a few misses I think he had a very good game and should definetly start him in our next league game.

I t just seems for some reason over the years you are Gutter Boy rightly give him stick when he has a poor or indifferent game but find it hard to praise him when he has a good game. Sure you could say it was "only Reading" but in that case no Spurs player or AVB deserves any praise because it was "only Reading".

I find it interesting that some people talk as if it was a lesser wing because it was "only Reading". Well I remember us getting beat by "only QPR" and "only Norwich"
last season.

You're lying and you yourself probably know you are. I find it hard to praise Jermain Defoe? you have a point if you said i do that with Huddlestone but don't make brick up and box me in with GB when it comes to the Defoe hate.

Btw your post is rather weird. You start it off with a defensive statement claiming you never claimed he was different class but your comment about me being Gutter boy was after i questioned a previous poster who stated he had been different class since avb has taken over. So basically i deny the claim about him being different class, you state i'm GB for doing that, then you state you never claimed he was different class...makes no sense but whatever.

I thought Defoe had no chance of playing as a lone striker, ever. Then he had the game just recently for England and backed it up again this Sunday against Reading. I think he has improved massively over the start of the season, and if we can make it work - i'd rather have Defoe up top than Ade, because if the team can manage without having to have a big lad up top, Defoe is absolutely lethal when it comes to scoring goals.

However, I don't think, regardless of how good the two games have been, that this is definitive proof that Defoe can or should be leading the line alone. I wouldn't mind seeing some more though, because if we can play to his strengths and involve him as the focal point, there's not many better at banging it away.

I only count one against the scum - in the 4-5 game.

He only scored once against Arsenal with us. I assume the other is with Portsmouth or West Ham.

Its a bit bizarre that has only scored one more goal against Arsenal than against us.

dont want to agrrevate the situation but yesterday was a fantastic game from defoe considering the circumstances and taking into account some of his deficiencies. He actually looked like ou 'main' lone striker with that performance (mainly cause we havent seen ade in this set up long enough)

But have to say that in the others games he hasnt exactly been great, not totally brick but not great either....just there. hving said that in Saudi Sportswashing Machine and against west brom he had good spells but overall you would have been praying after the first 2 or 3 games "please GHod when is adebayor starting"

I thought Defoe had no chance of playing as a lone striker, ever. Then he had the game just recently for England and backed it up again this Sunday against Reading. I think he has improved massively over the start of the season, and if we can make it work - i'd rather have Defoe up top than Ade, because if the team can manage without having to have a big lad up top, Defoe is absolutely lethal when it comes to scoring goals.

However, I don't think, regardless of how good the two games have been, that this is definitive proof that Defoe can or should be leading the line alone. I wouldn't mind seeing some more though, because if we can play to his strengths and involve him as the focal point, there's not many better at banging it away.

Defoe always looks good:

1) In September when the sun is shining
2) Against crap sides when he gets space for 15 blast chances and probability suggests 2 have to go in.

If AVB has done what no manager has managed in the last 13 seasons and actually developed the talent he threatened when he was at Bournemouth, I'll need a lot more convincing. Even yesterday he was still very wasteful with the easy chances.

Last edited:
Back