• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T What's the biggest football story of all time?

Some good suggestions, to which I'll add:

Ronaldo's non-appearance in the 1998 World Cup final
Suarez-Evra
Terry-Ferdinand
Ernie Payne's boots
Sven's adventures in Soho Square

i know it isn't one of the biggest football stories, but when you think about it - it probably really should be. . . ACN bus shooting?

Foe dying on the pitch?

Bruce Grobbalar match fixing?

match fixing in Italy - Juventus being demoted (biggest/most successful team in the country)

Heysel

Bradford City fire

Answers are dependant on two criterias.. tragedy or not.

In my lifetime its Hillsbrough, Bradford and Heysel for Tragedy.. a lot more impactful for obvious reasons.

Football reasons I have Cantona kung fu kick, Ossie and Ricky going home because of the War... and Gazza's knee injury, which seems to go on for years and followed him everywhere during his playing career.. another Spurs one for me was the Maxwell takeover. :eek:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...aNUAAAAIBAJ&sjid=F5ADAAAAIBAJ&pg=1178,3275932

Last edited:
When Beckham went from centre parting to close cropped. That received more (and much broader) media cover than any other football story I've seen in my lifetime.

I agree that the 'all time' answer is probably the Munich air disaster.

Fergie on Wednesday was something special. Days like that you understand it isnt just a sport like the other ones. It was like the queen had died.

When Beckham went from centre parting to close cropped. That received more (and much broader) media cover than any other football story I've seen in my lifetime.

I agree that the 'all time' answer is probably the Munich air disaster.

:ross::ross::ross:=D>

Very funny but sadly probably true. I was young when that happened but remember it a lot. Such a huge fuss was made about it! I remember hearing quite a lot about the time he wore nail varnish as well.

Some good suggestions here, didn't even consider the Hillsborough disatser which was very naive of me. I did consider the calciopoli though. It pretty much destroyed Italian football and we still hear of match fixing going on a fair ammount there. I think it's only a matter of time before English football gets its own though.

What about Colombia at USA 94 and the eventual murder of Andreas Escoba?

There's an interesting ESPN doc about it all called The Two Escobas, defo worth checking out

I think Heysel had the biggest impact. English clubs got banned from Europe... and that had a massive impact... particularly on our club as we would have qualified for Europe that year, and we didn't then for years afterwards. It indirectly set in train the whole setting up of the premier league, the advent of Sky and modern football as we now know it. The 'victims' at LFC have a lot to answer for.

The Port Said football riot should be a big story. Seventy plus people killed, twenty odd death sentences handed down and Egyptian football cancelled for a year or more (has it started again yet?).

Hillsborough
Munich
Hand of GHod
Italian match fixing
Zidane's headbutt
Beckham to MLS
Walcott instead of Lennon
Owen's goal vs Argies
England winning in 66
Kung-Fu Cantona

Sugar v Venables nearly destroyed our club too. We got docked league points and kicked out of the FA cup, which was actually a great shame at the time

What I mean is, those events led to Levy eventually. Sugar won the head over heart argument, and the logical conclusion was hedge fund ownership by joe lewis

Back