• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Manager Sack Watch

Everton confirm Roberto Martinez as the man to replace David Moyes

I'm very interested to see how Martinez does at Everton. Considering the financial limitations at Wigan I find it hard to judge the success or not of his time there. I think I'm leaning towards him being a good manager but this is the litmus test.
Best of luck to him. Likeable guy.

I'm very interested to see how Martinez does at Everton. Considering the financial limitations at Wigan I find it hard to judge the success or not of his time there. I think I'm leaning towards him being a good manager but this is the litmus test.

I think he will do very well. The thing is he will need time as his football seems to be fairly different from the Moyes era. May well take time.

he's so different from moyes - personality and football philosphy - that i think they will be in for a long transition i.e. it would get worse before it gets better. a lot depends on the players now to trust and support him.

Bang on.

I really like him.

big fan of Martinez here too!!

id advise him to sell Baines and Felliani for 40 mill and sign Danny Rose and Jake Livermore for 20 mill

thank you Roberto

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright: "When David [Moyes] first came to see me, he sat down, and we were in a bad state. First words, he said we are not going down. Roberto's first words, he will get us in the Champions League. He had obviously studied the football club and recognised what David Moyes has achieved.

Nicolas%20Cage%20laughing%20like%20a%20mad%20man.gif

seriously though, cant fault the man's ambition=D>

Agree on all counts.

One thing Moyes and Martinez both have in common is teams that don't play a whole season. Everton always seemed to start badly or finish badly, while Martinez's Wigan redefined the late run. Overall I'd say both made smart buys and got the most from their teams.

Now Martinez has signed with Everton, what does it say about the Liverpool job last year? Did he turn it down, did they turn him down after interview, or was it mutual. Whelan also seems much more positive about him joining Everton.

Everton chairman Bill Kenwright: "When David [Moyes] first came to see me, he sat down, and we were in a bad state. First words, he said we are not going down. Roberto's first words, he will get us in the Champions League. He had obviously studied the football club and recognised what David Moyes has achieved.

Nicolas%20Cage%20laughing%20like%20a%20mad%20man.gif

seriously though, cant fault the man's ambition=D>

Could that be his 'tube ticket' moment.

I like Martinez but I think he'll be an Everton flop and won't still be in charge of them for the 2014/2015 season.

unless everton are in the bottom 5, I think everton will have the patience to let him try for more than one season

I think that's a really silly thing for Martinez to "promise"...

I don't think he'd have gotten the job if he hadn't been willing to make those promises, plus it doesn't give any sort of time frame. It could all just be part of a five year plan or some such.

I don't think he'd have gotten the job if he hadn't been willing to make those promises, plus it doesn't give any sort of time frame. It could all just be part of a five year plan or some such.

I think it's a fair target to set, but to "promise" getting it seems ill conceived.

He will be up against more than 4 clubs that dwarf them financially (United, City, 2x scum), Liverpool that has twice their turnover, we're close behind Liverpool and there are two clubs in a similar financial position to them in Saudi Sportswashing Machine and Aston Villa.

To get into the top 4 again would be a massive achievement, I think it's very likely that he will face a poor run of form and come under pressure before he can come close to achieving that. Stating goals like these will just increase the pressure on him when that almost inevitable poor run comes around. Although to be fair we only have what Kenwright said to the press that Martinez said. Might not have been something Martinez wanted to be spread.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22792389
New manager Roberto Martinez says Everton must strengthen this summer to build on the club's recent success.
Under predecessor David Moyes, the Toffees finished in the top eight of the Premier League for seven seasons in a row between 2007 and 2013.
"We need to bring new signings, players who will develop that competition and give different options on the playing field," the 39-year-old told BBC Sport. "We want to bring an extra dimension and competition for places."

hmmmm.....not sure that's the right thing to say on the 2nd day on the job at Everton. doesn't he know that they are skint? unless he's already seeing something we don't know.

Back