• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T Capello Resigns / New England Manager Speculation Thread

Sir Alex Ferguson surprised by Premier League's England letter

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was surprised to receive a Premier League letter asking him not to discuss the England manager's position.

Tottenham's Harry Redknapp is seen as the favourite to replace Fabio Capello, and Ferguson has described him as "the best man" for the job.

"You can't believe [I've been sent a letter], can you?" said Ferguson.

Asked why he received the warning, he said: "I've absolutely no idea. I'm not supposed to discuss it."

Ferguson is among a host of Premier League managers to have backed Redknapp for the England job.

"There is no doubt Harry Redknapp is the best man," he said last month. "He has the experience and personality and the knowledge of the game. He has changed the fortunes of every club he has been at."

While the Football Association insists it has not spoken to any potential candidates to replace Capello, it intends to make an appointment at the "back end of the season".

Redknapp admitted he is "flattered" to be linked to what he regards as the "ultimate job for an Englishman".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17308540

Isnt that what you are doing now Whiskey Nose ?

Former England manager Fabio Capello interested in ‘job swap’ with Tottenham Hotspur's Harry Redknapp

With Carlo Ancelotti ensconced in a ?ú6 million-a-year contract with Paris St-Germain, could Tottenham Hotspur turn to another Italian should, as expected, Harry Redknapp take over as England manager?

It is understood that, despite his experiences in this country, Fabio Capello would be interested in a return to London and a return to club management. He is monitoring what happens at Spurs if Champions League football is secured.

Whether Spurs are interested in him remains to be seen — and there is understood to be no shortage of interest from across Europe in the post should it become vacant – but it sets up the prospect of rather a curious ‘job swap’ between Redknapp and Capello.

It had been assumed by some that Capello would return to Italy after quitting as England manager because he felt that he had been seriously undermined by the FA’s decision to take the captaincy away from John Terry. But that is not the case. Capello wants one more job in club management and he wants it to be away from his home country.

The 65 year-old has had approaches from the Middle East that would be hugely lucrative, including taking on the role similar to that of a director of football across one of the fledgling leagues.

But, despite appearances, he enjoyed working in London and does not feel disillusioned by the criticism he suffered while England manager.

Spurs are an intriguing prospect. Ancelotti was certainly in the frame before deciding he could not wait any longer, and could not turn down the money on offer at PSG. Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is also an admirer of another former Chelsea manager, Jose Mourinho.

Rafael Ben?¡tez would also want to be considered for the job while the link with Everton’s David Moyes — who Spurs face tomorrow — has faded. That suggests that, despite his experiences with Juande Ramos and Jacques Santini, Levy might be considering another European coach should Redknapp leave the club.

Spurs have held preliminary talks with Redknapp over an improved contract, with his current deal set to expire in June 2013. No formal offer is thought to have been made yet but substantial funds will be made available should he decide to stay.

Although Capello’s demands might be a stumbling block – he values himself highly – he would be able to work within the system that Spurs operate. It might be a risky appointment as Capello has not worked in club management in England and had a prickly relationship with the media. But it would be a big statement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9132451/Former-England-manager-Fabio-Capello-interested-in-job-swap-with-Tottenham-Hotspurs-Harry-Redknapp.html

Wenger has more chance of being next Spurs manager.

We need to talk about Benitez.

So when the FA's worst kept secret comes to pass at the end of the season as I am 80% it will, Harry's reign will come to an end. The speculation is rife around who will be taking control at the Lane, with many names in the pot. Mourinho is one name that keeps coming up, and i did believe we have\had a chance bringing him in, but I think there is more chance seeing him down the Kings Road now.
At the top of Levy's list will be a manager with both Premier League and Champions League experience, and the more and more I think about it I will not be at all surprised if we offer the job to Rafa Benitez. He maybe not be everyones first choice or second choice for that, but why not? He has plenty of said experience and is sat twiddling his thumbs at the moment without a club, also having expressed a desire to manage in the Premiership again.
So what would he bring to our great club? What is his playing style? Who will be the winners and losers in our current squad under him?
I think its time we consider senor Benitez a bit more in depth for I believe he is one of the favourites for the job and the type of manager I can see Levy going for if we couldn't get the Special One.

This thread is focusing in one manager imparticular and I was hoping we could discuss the attributes of Benitez with some depth, which is not always so easy in a general thread.

I would be up for Benitez. Especially if the alternative is going to be David Moyes. THe Mourinho talk is absolute nonsense.
With Jol and now Harry it would be interesting to see what we could do with a really tactically astute manager.

The problem is the whole of the backroom staff will go with Arry. All the progress of the youth will be for nothing. :cry:

Not so sure.
Bond will obviously go with him.
Jordan however is scottish, would he want to? Either way I think he'll leave us if Harry goes.
Not sure Harry will want to bring guys like Allen and Parks with him, and the FA would probably prefer him to bring someone without a contract (cheaper).
The big one is Sherwood, Harry might want to bring him with him, but I can also see Levy fighting to keep him.

Can see Harry being asked to include Stuart Pearce in his coaching staff as well.
Maybe his son will be involved in some way also .. ?

I will not be at all surprised if we offer the job to Rafa Benitez. He maybe not be everyones first choice or second choice for that, but why not?

Why not?

How about the fact he completely lost the plot at Liverpool?
How about the fact that in 6 years he signed 60 players?
How about the fact the best year they had when they finished second they scored bucket loads of goals and were still somehow the dullest team in the league?
How about the fact he didnt promote any youth at all?

Replacing Harry with an in house coaching staff and manager might be better to build on Harry's work,
rather than appoint a big name manager who would want to pull the team in a different direction.
I'd be well behind Sherwood if Levy find him ready

Tim Sherwood (manager)
Les Ferdinand (club ambassador/advisor and support to the manager/opponent scout, allow Sherwood to focus on the team)
William Gallas (ass.manager)
Edgar Davids (first team coach / player developer - midfield and skills)
Steffen Freund (coach, development team XI and Nextgen team manager)
Clive Allen (striker coach)
Tony Parks (goal keeper coach)
Raymond Verheijen (fitness)

Ferdinand already close to Sherwood, well respected in the game. Could be a media and administative buffer for Sherwood.
Gallas brings winning mentality
Davids showed promise working with O'Hara and Lennon while at Spurs. What could he have done for Parrett and Bostock?
Freund has experience from German U16-U20 national teams
Verheijen brings expertise we've been lacking, our super star Bale will be happy to work with him

Last edited:
Replacing Harry with an in house coaching staff and manager might be better to build on Harry's work,
rather than appoint a big name manager who would want to pull the team in a different direction.
I'd be well behind Sherwood if Levy find him ready

Tim Sherwood (manager)
Les Ferdinand (club ambassador/advisor and support to the manager/opponent scout, allow Sherwood to focus on the team)
William Gallas (ass.manager)
Edgar Davids (first team coach / player developer - midfield and skills)
Steffen Freund (coach, development team XI and Nextgen team manager)
Clive Allen (striker coach)
Tony Parks (goal keeper coach)
Raymond Verheijen (fitness)

Ferdinand already close to Sherwood, well respected in the game. Could be a media and administative buffer for Sherwood.
Gallas brings winning mentality
Davids showed promise working with O'Hara and Lennon while at Spurs. What could he have done for Parrett and Bostock?
Freund has experience from German U16-U20 national teams
Verheijen brings expertise we've been lacking, our super star Bale will be happy to work with him

Midtable here we come.

Midtable here we come.

Nothing is certain in football, we've appointed the hottest name in europe (Ramos) who got sacked after nearly demoting us.
We've appointed the highest rated up coming manager (Jol), and although I rate him as a success he still got sacked.
The manager of one of the biggest national teams (Santini) could only handle a couple of months.

People want Mourinho or Hiddink but it's completely unrealistic.
Who are comparable with Ramos, Jol and Santini? AVB, Klopp, L?Âw?
How much more experience has Lambert, Rodgers, Poyet etc. got over Sherwood,
they are still rather fresh - Sherwood has built experience within our club rather than taken the path through lower divisions.

For me it would be a bigger mistake to appoint a manager with wrong attitude to the game,
like Benitez and Moyes

All about putting together a coaching staff that works well together and complete eachother.

Our succes will be more depending on our playing staff and Levy's ability to keep us competitive with the richer boys

Nothing is certain in football, we've appointed the hottest name in europe (Ramos) who got sacked after nearly demoting us.
We've appointed the highest rated up coming manager (Jol), and although I rate him as a success he still got sacked.
The manager of one of the biggest national teams (Santini) could only handle a couple of months.

People want Mourinho or Hiddink but it's completely unrealistic.
Who are comparable with Ramos, Jol and Santini? AVB, Klopp, L?Âw?
How much more experience has Lambert, Rodgers, Poyet etc. got over Sherwood,
they are still rather fresh - Sherwood has built experience within our club rather than taken the path through lower divisions.

For me it would be a bigger mistake to appoint a manager with wrong attitude to the game,
like Benitez and Moyes

All about putting together a coaching staff that works well together and complete eachother.

Our succes will be more depending on our playing staff and Levy's ability to keep us competitive with the richer boys

Agree with that, but I still think we can do much better than Tim Sherwood. I think this summer is crucial for us again, Modric is bound to be linked with moves to United or Chelsea again and we need to make 2 signings minimum so we can seriously challenge for the title.

I can only believe that the people who don't want Sherwood having a bigger role at this club must never have seen what he is trying to do with the academy players. The whole emphasis is on controlled football and technique and its only by sticking with this approach will we produce the type of player we want as Spurs. Tactical genius managers tend to produce pragmatic teams which either bore the oppostion to death or their own fans eventually.

Back