• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager

Who do you want as the next Spurs manager?

• Tim Sherwood

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • Glenn Hoddle

• Michael Laudrup

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Fabio Capello

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Lucien Favre

• Luciano Spalletti

Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Marcelo Bielsa

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 53 46.5%

• Total voters
hopefully unrelated, Zola has resigned from Watford

Could do worse again - got a lot of foreign guys playing well together quickly last year and knows the country.

Honestly any manager now just sounds equally ridiculous and plausible at the same time.

I know I'm not the only one here who finds Tor-Kristian Karlsen's opinions on football interesting and worth reading. A couple of snippets from his twitter:

https://twitter.com/karlsentk

On Capello:
The Fabio Capello/Spurs link seems rather unfeasible to me. Capello earning top dollar in Russia, World Cup to come, nice comfortable job
The Spurs squad is designed for a completely different football in mind than what Capello represents...
And more to the point: whenever Baldini has previously been involved in manager appointments,he's gone for coaches very different to Capello

He later mentioned Luis Enrique and Zeman at Roma as the two most recent examples.

On important considerations for new managers:
The key to improving Spurs, is to work on attacking movements and "mechanisms". Squad packed with underperforming attacking talent
And that job requires someone exceptional on the training ground, rather than a traditional "motivator" or "man manager"
And for that reason I really cannot see Capello or Hoddle being suitable in the slightest. Would make no sense whatsoever.

On his opinions on potential new managers:
Spalletti would be my absolute favourite. Pochettino interesting too. Laudrup, safe and solid option. I love Bielsa but far too risky IMO

I haven't seen Spalletti mentioned elsewhere. He's currently at Zenit in Russia, previously he's been at Roma and Udinese as well as the smaller Empoli according to Wiki. I'm guessing Mumorn could chime in a bit more on Spalletti, he seems quite highly rated and lasted from 2005-2009 at Roma (a bit of a madhouse at times) and he's lasted since December 2009 in a job in Russia. Pointing towards an ability to get decent results.

Worth mentioning that there's a link between Spalletti and Baldini, apparently they played together as players (although I haven't been able to confirm that, I'm sure someone will be able to) and there were stories saying that Spalletti wanted Baldini to Zenit after Baldini parted with Roma. Karlsen who is recommending Spalletti has worked at Zenit whilst Spalletti was there iirc so he should know more about the man than most, although you might of course also say that he's biased.

Solskjaer would be a pretty decent bet. Big advantage that he has over most of the names above is that he knows English football well, in addition to having acheived success as a manager, albeit in a minor league

Do NOT want Solskjaer anywhere near our club. When he went to Molde he got the equvilent of Abramovic at Chelsea, spent loads of money and won the league. This season they weren't even close to the title...

Whenever i listen to Hoddle he seems so knowledgable. And his is my all time favorite spurs player. But had he learnt a lesson on how to deal with players? I always felt he would work better with better players. I thought under Hoddle England played thier best football. He got rid of the no left winger problem by playing 3-5-2. But I wonder if he loves that formation way too much. He cant seem to drop it.

Im so miffed about this all i almost could not care less now who is manager.

Interesting what Karlsen says about under performing attacking talent, when the majority of it is new to this country. The one under performing attacker under Potchettino so far has been Osvaldo...

I'm sure AVB was a training ground coach type guy and I'm absolutely sure if we stuck it out it would have come for us.

Solskjaer would be a pretty decent bet. Big advantage that he has over most of the names above is that he knows English football well, in addition to having acheived success as a manager, albeit in a minor league

I'm not convinced by Solskjær. In the Norwegian league he was given a significant amount of money with a good (but not great) side at a time when most clubs had to make cutbacks and sell some of their best players without being able to reinvest. The Norwegian league is poor anyway, but it's been worse than in quite some time in recent years, several clubs have been in disarray, and most decent managers with money to spend at a good club should be able to do really well.

The press in Norway couldn't be any more different to their Fleet Street counterparts. They've taken a "ehmergeed, It's Ole Gunnar Solskjær" approach to his return to Norway and I think you would find more hard hitting criticism and negativity amongst teenage girls at a Justin Bieber concert than amongst the Norwegian press corps swarming around Solskjær.

He could still be a successful manager of course, but the step up and change in environment from Molde to Spurs makes a potential move for Pochettino from Southampton look more comfortable and easy than changing your socks. Apart from Sherwood I don't think any manager mentioned in this thread is less proven than Solskjær.

It would be a massive, massive, gamble. That's not to say it couldn't work, but I think we would be more likely to get the right man by looking elsewhere.

Rudi garcia I've put £4 on 26/1

Yeah, we're going to sign a manager who's at a club bigger than us who has only been their for 15 games and is managing one of the only unbeaten sides left in world football this season. You could have bought your prawn sandwich with that.

He later mentioned Luis Enrique and Zeman at Roma as the two most recent examples.

That's something that worries me about this. How much input will Baldini have? Zeman is available too. :~

I haven't seen Spalletti mentioned elsewhere. He's currently at Zenit in Russia, previously he's been at Roma and Udinese as well as the smaller Empoli according to Wiki. I'm guessing Mumorn could chime in a bit more on Spalletti, he seems quite highly rated and lasted from 2005-2009 at Roma (a bit of a madhouse at times) and he's lasted since December 2009 in a job in Russia. Pointing towards an ability to get decent results.

Worth mentioning that there's a link between Spalletti and Baldini, apparently they played together as players (although I haven't been able to confirm that, I'm sure someone will be able to) and there were stories saying that Spalletti wanted Baldini to Zenit after Baldini parted with Roma. Karlsen who is recommending Spalletti has worked at Zenit whilst Spalletti was there iirc so he should know more about the man than most, although you might of course also say that he's biased.

Spalletti might be a decent option. Known for deploying a 4-6-0 formation at times.

Yeah, we're going to sign a manager who's at a club bigger than us who has only been their for 15 games and is managing one of the only unbeaten sides left in world football this season. You could have bought your prawn sandwich with that.

Would love this comment to bite you in the ass as good a shout as any you wait

I'm not convinced by Solskjær. In the Norwegian league he was given a significant amount of money with a good (but not great) side at a time when most clubs had to make cutbacks and sell some of their best players without being able to reinvest. The Norwegian league is poor anyway, but it's been worse than in quite some time in recent years, several clubs have been in disarray, and most decent managers with money to spend at a good club should be able to do really well.

The press in Norway couldn't be any more different to their Fleet Street counterparts. They've taken a "ehmergeed, It's Ole Gunnar Solskjær" approach to his return to Norway and I think you would find more hard hitting criticism and negativity amongst teenage girls at a Justin Bieber concert than amongst the Norwegian press corps swarming around Solskjær.

He could still be a successful manager of course, but the step up and change in environment from Molde to Spurs makes a potential move for Pochettino from Southampton look more comfortable and easy than changing your socks. Apart from Sherwood I don't think any manager mentioned in this thread is less proven than Solskjær.

It would be a massive, massive, gamble. That's not to say it couldn't work, but I think we would be more likely to get the right man by looking elsewhere.

He won two successive league titles. They struggled at the start of this season after losing several of their best players, but seemed to back on track in the second half.

Back