• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No, you asked me to compare the careers of Poch and Martinez, so I highlighted some differences in terms of their potential as candidates for the spurs job.

I agree that judging managers solely on trophies won is futile. However, numerous successes and experiences on Benitez's CV (the original point we were debating I think) make him a far, far stronger candidate than Poch. I'm not even sure on what criteria Poch is a credible candidate.

No, I asked if the lack of trophies would have made Martinez and Rodgers "even sillier" candidates too. Since your reply about Poch was in reply to essentially a list of trophies.

I' written long-ish posts about Poch in the past, not really looking to repeat that. He's been managing clubs that have been in no position to pick up trophies with a decent frequency, like Martinez and Rodgers. That was my point.

Rafa's been managing clubs since 1995 (Real Madrid B '93-'95).

de Boer only started in 2010 (Ajax youth teams since 2007), of course he won't have the same trophy cabinet as Rafa...but he's won the Dutch championship in all those four years.

Rafa had his ups and downs in the Premier League, but he's a world class manager. FdB could be the next big thing. Different philosophies, different personalities.

For me, I'd like to bring in de Boer. He hasn't been at chelsea or the Pool, so he would be "our" manager, so to speak. A fresh start. But, if it's Rafa, I'm all for that as well, because of his experience and past glory days. The only thing I want is not to drag this thing out. Make it happen well before the world cup and get the ball rolling.

Oh, and also make a statement on the new stadium. If that's OK.

And a new left back. Preferably someone who's good at this game of football.

Cheers.

Why is everyone ignoring this dude?

Gylfi:
Nails.
On.
Heads.

Benitez's Liverpoo's were completely unwatchable as a footballing side.
And his boring Valencia team (winning the league with 51 goals scored in 38 games) were the prototype for AVB's 4231 double defensive pivot in midfield.

I guess it's a case do we want to win things or play entertaining football.

Teams who win things tend not to entertain, few exceptions.

I would be happy with either FDB or Rafa - I think it has to be one of these two

I guess it's a case do we want to win things or play entertaining football.

Teams who win things tend not to entertain, few exceptions.

I would be happy with either FDB or Rafa - I think it has to be one of these two

Really????????????????????????

Fergie's Man Utd
Wenger's 96-2006 scum sides
Real Madrid's 'galactico' team
The tika taka Barcelona team
1995 Ajax side
Current Bayern Munich side

I don't think you have to choose between entertainment and success at all.

Rafa loves England, his family are very settled over here. His family still live up here in Merseyside.

To me it wouldn't be that big a shock if did live Napoli for us.

yeah maybe one last pay day for the fella and he is not a bad manager

But levy is the issue with this club.

I've certainly formed the impression people don't like dealing with Levy, so I always think it's a bit of a toss-up whether he manages to convince anyone to come here or puts them permanently off the idea.

right now i have seen ajax play a few times on the telly and i dont think i was the least bit impressed by them....infact a couple of those games i saw they were tactically out manouvered and in one european game they were played completely off the park

So, can the very vocal FDB supporters tell us exactly what is the big fuss about the guy?

So, can the very vocal FDB supporters tell us exactly what is the big fuss about the guy?

Most of the vocal FDB supporters are the same ones that vocally supported DVD.....sorry i mean AVB. They read amazing things about his intellect and his preferred system and the amazing signings we will make once he arrives and his super dooper football philosophy but really haven't seen him enough to pass judgement. One he arrives and it's not 'what was on the tin' so to speak they become confused...they watch with their eyes but they still refuse to believe on the count of what they read.

Really????????????????????????

Fergie's Man Utd
Wenger's 96-2006 scum sides
Real Madrid's 'galactico' team
The tika taka Barcelona team
1995 Ajax side
Current Bayern Munich side

I don't think you have to choose between entertainment and success at all.

You can add both of the likely winners of our League this season also.

I'm not a huge FdB fan but at least it sounds like he plans to build something at his next club, concentrate on young players and not run off to a bigger club as soon as he getting success.

Most of the vocal FDB supporters are the same ones that vocally supported DVD.....sorry i mean AVB. They read amazing things about his intellect and his preferred system and the amazing signings we will make once he arrives and his super dooper football philosophy but really haven't seen him enough to pass judgement. One he arrives and it's not 'what was on the tin' so to speak they become confused...they watch with their eyes but they still refuse to believe on the count of what they read.

I certainly didnt want AVB nor was I a supporter of, who I think is, the charlatan. I do want FdB thought and have made no qualms that it is simply a hunch. I dont want Benny Hill but as mentioned, he strikes me as the Mourinho type who is for the here and now rather than a long term solution to implementing a proper infrastructure. FdB has come from that school of what we are trying to implement and think he would be here for five or six years - providing he is on course to achieve what we want to achieve

If it were solely based on CVs there's only one choice. But what are we trying to build here? A legacy? A style, an ethos that sits with this clubs proud traditions? Do we just want to win at all costs?

Personally the appointments of either FDB or Pochettino would be ballsy. There's huge risk in both. But if it pays off, it could be spectacular. I mean there's a chance the club and one of these young coaches could grow together to forge a relationship like Benitez and Liverpool or Mourinho and Chelsea. Of course Benitez is an elite manager who gets a ridiculous amount of stick in all honesty. I've heard from Liverpool fans about just how anal he was about every facet of the club. Youth teams at all ages, he would be involved. Not sure how true that is.

I'm cool with all 3 choices to be honest. Just eager to get this started as soon as possible. Let's start moulding the club as soon as the season is done and not fanny around until after the world cup. (You know that is exactly what we will do)

Edit* Just read that back and it sounds like I'm anti-Benitez which I'm not at all. I think he would be a very very good appointment for us but his heart will always be with Liverpool

Back