• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Forgive me if Im being a little naive here, perhaps Ive missed something but...how on earth is Benitez begging to manage Spurs?

Thompson and Carragher have voiced their opinion about the fact they think Benitez would come back to England but doesn't mean its a given and certainly doesn't mean Benitez is desperate to manage us. I could give my opinion on what I think my parents' wishes are, but doesn't mean I'd be 100% correct...
I think Grasso is talking about funtime Frankie de Boer

I think Grasso is talking about funtime Frankie de Boer

Ah, thanks...Apologies to Grassroots then! Mind you, is FDB begging to manage us? I know he said he'd like to interview, has there been anymore soundbites since? Appears to have gone quiet on that front....

Ah, thanks...Apologies to Grassroots then! Mind you, is FDB begging to manage us? I know he said he'd like to interview, has there been anymore soundbites since? Appears to have gone quiet on that front....

no apology needed mate :)
Another reason to show how much he wants the job since the papers run with he has damaged his chances by speaking he has not said a word and yes I was talking frank de boer

Honours[edit]
Player[edit]
Ajax
Eredivisie (5):1989–90, 1993–94, 1994–95, 1995–96, 1997–98
KNVB Cup (2): 1992–93, 1997–98
Johan Cruijff Shield (3): 1993, 1994, 1995
UEFA Champions League (1): 1994–95
UEFA Cup (1): 1991–92
UEFA Super Cup (1): 1995
Intercontinental Cup (1): 1995
Barcelona
La Liga (1): 1998–99
Manager[edit]
Ajax
Eredivisie (4): 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13, 2013–14
Johan Cruijff Shield (1): 2013
Assistant coach[edit]
Netherlands
2010 FIFA World Cup: Runner-up
Individual[edit]
Amsterdamse coach van het jaar (De Fanny) : 2012
Rinus Michels Award: 2013, 2014
JFK's Greatest Man Award: 2013[23]

I agree, winning trophies is almost entirely anti-Tottenham these days. So is qualifying for the Champions League.

We should be looking for a wobbly, defense-be-damned manager with a history of personal problems and experience in keeping a club between 5th and 15th, if we're going by our desire for an accurate representation of what Tottenham's recently become. A manager with no recent success on his record would be preferable: if there is any, that can perhaps be excused if he can display that he did everything humanly possible to throw it away.

Sigh. When did we forget that Blanchflower advocated 'going out and beating the other lot', beating being the operative word? When did we start identifying with losing prettily more than we did with winning things? When did we become such puritanical zealots that we are this willing to dismiss Champions-League winning managers in favor of mid-table masters just because the former committed the cardinal sin of seeing out a narrow lead every now and then, while the latter who consistently played pretty finished this season in 8th with utterly nothing to show for it, not even a measly LMA award?

Finding someone who can play pretty football and win consistently is the holy grail. But when we can't find someone with a proven track record of doing so, we must go for the most qualified, most trophy-laden candidate, style be damned. Somewhere along the way, we as fans (me included) have forgotten this, and I wager that it's seeped into the club's decision-making as well. Somewhere along these last 20 years, we grew to like losing prettily over winning ugly. Why that is, I don't know. However, I don't doubt that Bill Nick and Danny Blanchflower would both recoil in revulsion if they were witness to what we've turned their ethos into.

I agree with you that Benitez would be a very good choice.

I disagree that he's clearly the best option or that far ahead of some of our other options. I think he represents a very different option to candidates like Poch, FdB and Martinez (if we stand a chance).

I also disagree about style being damned. Baldini as our top "footballing man" is perfectly entitled to have a preferred style of play and look for a manager with similar ideas to himself on what's best for the club. Considerations should also be made about the current squad, what kind of football suits them and of course the youth team and what kind of football they've been building towards.

If a big enough manager (LvG, Ancelotti, Klopp, Mourinho) was available to us then I could see the argument for saying style-schmyle, let's just bring him in and let him do his thing! I don't think Benitez is in that category personally. And I think going a slightly different route, more Swansea and less West Ham if you get what I'm saying. Decide on a style of football for the club (not just first team) long term, a continuation of what we wanted AVB to do (even though he failed to implement it), and then find the best manager available for that style of play.

I'm not saying it's the only way, but I think it's a valid approach. If you look at Liverpool when they hired Rodgers rumours were that they had also been looking at Martinez. To fairly similar managers in terms of style of play. If you look at Barcelona they don't look for "the most qualified, most trophy-laden candidate" they look for someone that fits the overarching philosophy at the club that goes over and beyond the first team for next season. We're not where Swansea are now, and of course not where Barca are now, we're in a different situation. But I still think a plan like that, an approach like that, is valid.

Benitez
I think its an exaggeration that he plays poor football. Its not the best but id rather call it safe than boring. At least we won't be getting beat by 4 or 5.
He was more boring at Liverpool but this is to be expected in a new league to be more conservative whilst adapting. At Chelsea he played ok football and would never of sold Mata. He insists on a playmaker.

Also prides himself on what he calls the most important part of management which is to alter the game as it happes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WDdM-jrgAY

FDB
The one either with the most potential or hindsight will be called the biggest risk not being tested in this league. He's my first choice but purely out of hope than fact.

POCHETTINO
Actually is perfect for Spurs and our players. His teams work hard out of possession and move the ball quickly in possession. Our players are taylor made for his 433.

This is a great insight and should reassure any doubters of him being one dimensional.
http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthre...lanation-of-Pochettino-s-tactics#.U3UeY3nVvwI

Last edited:
Benitez
I think its an exaggeration that he plays poor football. Its not the best but id rather call it safe than boring. At least we won't be getting beat by 4 or 5.
He was more boring at Liverpool but this is to be expected in a new league to be more conservative whilst adapting. At Chelsea he played ok football and would never of sold Mata. He insists on a playmaker.

FDB
The one either with the most potential or hindsight will be called the biggest risk not being tested in this league. He's my first choice but purely out of hope than fact.

POCHETTINO
Actually is perfect for Spurs and our players. His teams work hard out of possession and move the ball quickly in possession. Our players are taylor made for his 433.
This is a great insight and should reassure any doubters of him being one dimensional.
http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthre...lanation-of-Pochettino-s-tactics#.U3UeY3nVvwI

Great interview/article, thanks for sharing. Has certainly made me less skeptical of the guy. :)

Benitez
Also prides himself on what he calls the most important part of management which is to alter the game as it happes

FDB

POCHETTINO

Thanks for that article.

If Levy could attract any of these three, then I would be very happy and I dont think we appreciate how lucky we are to have such talented managers want to coach here...

Benitez

FDB

POCHETTINO

Only ever seen him play 4231 which is more defensive really not always mind depends how you employ the 8 and 10

And the players themselves admit its very hard to do for 90 mins which might explain throwing away leads and running out of steam to a degree on the hour mark ish

Excellent! Thanks for sharing :)

Some things that tickled my fancy in particular, specifically when compared to the ongoing AVB comparisons on here:

But it requires a massive amount of work from a collective point of view. It’s not surprising after six or seven months working on it that we’re now able to harass and fully inbalance some of the teams we face. We couldn’t do that from the start as it’s a massive work put in at training.

This to me is not only true, but also important. Under AVB our pressing looked good early days both seasons, but it got worse as the season wore on. For whatever reason AVB just wasn't capable of implementing that pressing in a good way over time. At Southampton there's been something different. Improvement over time as players got more and more familiar with their roles.

He wants us to recover the ball as high as possible, so for that it’s usually up to a forward to trigger the pressing ; so then we’ve to follow.

A detail, but an important one. For us, when our pressing went to ****, our strikers seemed to play for a different team. It has to be the striker(s) initiating the pressing and when that happens the rest of the team has to follow. Our "high line" problem was a result of our team not functioning as a unit. Again, Poch has managed to implement his ideas in the PL.

Pochettino is all about detail, really. I recall that he showed us from the start that a meter or half a meter could block two passing lanes in midfield. We just had to move a step ahead or orientating our body a given way to face the opponent in order to put him into trouble.

Super important, obviously. So often some of our players looked lost and opponents were left with way too much space, particularly when we tried to press high up the pitch.

We work on patterns to get the ball out from the back on goalkicks: the last two games, both CM had to get to both angles of the penalty box while the two CB had to spread to both sides of the box. Full backs have to get close to the byline and the midway line. The purpose is to get the ball out from the back on ground and not hoofing the ball on Lambert. If the pass toward Wanyama isn’t possible, we have the two center backs. If opponents close us down, so then both full backs are unmarked in a free zone. The aim is to find them as soon as possible in order to write off the most opposing players as we can.

Boom! Spot on again! How often were we frustrated with the Lloris long balls? And why? Because our defenders (and deep midfielders) just didn't make themselves available quickly enough. This kind of stuff was a source of ongoing frustration for me under AVB, we just never looked capable of playing through pressure. At Southampton Poch managed to implement that, bravely and fairly quickly.

If ever we don’t have a short option, that means that the opponent has closed us down as a team ans so then we’ve to play long on Lambert because it will be 1v1 in the air. But we often change that pattern because opponents adapts after a couple of games.

Spot on again imo. To force us into a long ball the other team must pay a price, that price has to be to commit several/many players high up the pitch so that if the ball drops for us after the long ball they're a bit unbalanced. Under AVB so often we were forced into long balls by just 1-2 opponents, and when we then hoofed it long we were doing so against two banks of four, well organized.

Southampton is currently 4th on the table. The ambitions got to another level. Proof is that a lot of teams now play very defensive against you, as if they were afraid of you
Indeed, we often play very organised teams. It’s a good indication

Just included this as it was claimed earlier that Poch and Southampton never had to face teams playing defensively or something like that.

By the way, I’d like to say that Southampton’s medical staff is amazing. I haven’t had a muscular injury for two and a half years and it’s nothing to do with luck. I have a good lifestyle but we do a lot of prevention. In instance we work a lot on glueteal muscles before every training session.

Probably has little to nothing to do with Poch, but at least he's been at a club with a medical staff that seems to be doing a great job. Perhaps he can bring something along?

This should be taken seriously, as Di Marzio is Baldini's mate, who broke all our transfer stories last summer:

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calc...-the-favorite-for-the-tottenham-coaching-job/

Pochettino is the favorite for the Tottenham coaching job

Tottenham is making plans for the future and they are pondering replacements for Tim Sherwood who was sacked earlier this week. The clear favorite at the moment is Mauricio Pochettino, the Southampton coach has really impressed Spurs with the quality play and efficiency of his current team. The alternative could be De Boer. Pochettino is at the top of Spurs’ wish list.

I honestly don't mind getting either fdb, poch or Benitez. I think all three have their positives, and would be good here.

To be fair before Di Marzio's admission it all seemed to be pointing to Poch. Heard nothing regarding Benitez, and FDB talk has quietened somewhat....

Benitez

FDB

POCHETTINO

Christ .. just when I believe we have the most deluded fans after Pool, articles on that site about Poch and those clowns "Spurs is not a step up" hahahaha .. classic, hope they drop back to championship where they belong ..

BnqZ4y8CMAAW7K7.jpg

Would be very disappointed with Benitez. Never liked him, his football or his rotation policy which made Liverpool a very good cup team, but most probably costed them a league title or two. Would be extremely happy with Pocchetino. I love watching clubs where you can see that every player on the pitch know exactly what they're doing and why they're doing it. That's the feeling Southampton have given me this season, at least while they still had something to play for. I know nothing of FdB as a manager, but he has had a very impressive start to his coaching career. I also think he could make Verts and Eriksen stay for longer than they would under a different manager if he succeeds, which would be crucial.

From the Poch link above;

we play a 11v11 game every wednesday. It’s often against the reserves, or the academy ; youths basically but intensity is maximal.

Do all clubs do this? Surely it's a great way for the youth to pit their wits against the first team squad whilst also allowing the management to see how they are developing playing against better players?

Back