• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs Manager v.2

Who do you want?

• Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Mauro Pochettino

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Frank de Boer

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • Roberto Martinez

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • Carlo Ancelotti

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • Murat Yakin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thomas Tuchel

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Rafa Benitez

Votes: 29 24.0%
  • Someone Else

Votes: 4 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: ITK Thread

Of course you can only really judge once they're in the job, but Levy's task isn't to make sure things will go right, that's ultimately out of his, or anyone else's control. His task is to pick the managerial appointment that has the best chance of going well, taking into account all factors, and as chairman and owner, him and Lewis have a duty to look into things a lot more than us fans do, read up on all of the candidates, interview them, see their ideas, ask people who have worked under and with them, think about what they want and how they will work with them and then make a decision based on who looks the most likely to do well given the circumstances they have to work under.

MY point is that looking at all the candidates, I think Pochettino has the LEAST potential for it all going pear-shaped and the MOST likelihood of working well with ENIC and their wishes. The only downside to Pochettino is that he's the one least likely to appease the fans demands for a "big name". That problems stems from the fact that Southampton play in the Premiership and are seen as a small club. So regardless of the fact that I think Poch's Southampton side would have walked the Eiredivisie, the fact that the Ajax name and brand resonates and that they won the league there, means people think De Boer is a sexier name, and Benitez won the CL with Liverpool & Valencia as well as the Spanish league.

I think though that Levy wants the best man for the job, not the one who is going to shut the fans up. He's been down that route with the Hoddle appointment and he knows our most successful manager appointed by him (Redknapp) was not wanted by the majority of fans.

Benitez = costly severance package with Napoli, known for playing defensive football, likes to spend money on expensive signings, will probably want the squad extensively reshaped, known for making a few 'unhinged' comments to the media
De Boer = gobbed off in the media quite a bit, unproven outside of a small league and only managed the biggest club in a small league. Seen some strange capitulations of his teams and poor European performance, pretty gobby in the media, again very possession based football that would be seen as 'slow' in the Premiership.

Given that the managers most likely to be the 'least risk' or 'most chance of success' will probably be moving onto bigger & better things than Spurs (come on, let's forget about appointing someone like LVG or Ancelotti), then like the Modrics and Bales we sign and develop, any managerial appoinment is going to be a risk. We have to take a leap of faith like Liverpool did with Rogers and do our research and pick the candidate most likely to step up their game in a pressurised environment.

At this stage, it looks like Pochettino is that man to me.

I typed a really long reply to this showing the things I agreed with and the things I thought you had completely wrong but as I posted it I had been logged out so I have given up ;) and then I could not log in at all
now I am getting a 500 internal server error constantly

does this mean you lot are bored with me already ;)

So are the people happy to see us become a high pressing counter attacking team under Pochettino?

There isn't gonna be a huge difference between his and AVB tactics.
I've no idea what he is gonna do differently when people come to whl and sit deep.
He has not experienced that as a manager no one plays for a draw against Southampton or Espaynol.

And what about our defenders who cant play a high line?

So are the people happy to see us become a high pressing counter attacking team under Pochettino?

I've no idea what he is gonna do differently when people come to whl and sit deep.
He has not experienced that as a manager no one plays for a draw against Southampton or Espaynol.

Lol. A high pressing counter attack? that doesn't make sense. if you press high and take back possession then obviously you are taking initiative and not just waiting for the counter attack

i don't think AVB got us playing how he wanted by the time he left, if Pocchetino comes in and aims for a similar end product to AVB then that would be fine by me - just hope that he is better/quicker at implementing his ideas

Pochettino's style is nothing like AVB's. Pochettino's teams press, but don't employ a high-line. The centre-backs do not get involved in the pressing so much and sit deep.

Also, AVB's teams, once they had possession, were told to be patient with the ball and wait for a safe opening, without taking risks.

Pochettino's teams look to go forward quickly in possession and look for the risky ball in the final 3rd a tonne more than AVB's teams.

Pochettino's style is nothing like AVB's. Pochettino's teams press, but don't employ a high-line. The centre-backs do not get involved in the pressing so much and sit deep.

Also, AVB's teams, once they had possession, were told to be patient with the ball and wait for a safe opening, without taking risks.

Pochettino's teams look to go forward quickly in possession and look for the risky ball in the final 3rd a tonne more than AVB's teams.

The one observation I made about Poch's Southampton when we played them was the off the ball movement, it was amazing how many more options their players had for a pass, something we have struggled with for some time now.

Well said. Reflected in the fact that Saints had the most possession in the league despite only having the 9th best pass completion %.

Plus Pochettino seemed to get his system embedded quicker than AVB, as seen in some of our tonkings this season.

Can you imagine if Sherwood had managed a team who went 2 goals ahead at a helplessly out of form team only to go onto lose 3-2?? #justsaying!

Re: ITK Thread

Benitez has one season left on his deal (I think).

How much compo would we owe Soton for Poch?

Story today says Poch would have to pay Southampton £2m, although I assume Levy would just pay it for him ... then again, perhaps not :)

Can you imagine if Sherwood had managed a team who went 2 goals ahead at a helplessly out of form team only to go onto lose 3-2?? #justsaying!

Could you imagine if people would stop using the results in individual games as points in a discussion about the ability of a manager?

Could you imagine if people would stop using the results in individual games as points in a discussion about the ability of a manager?

Could you imagine if people stopped comparing a win ratio of a manager after playing 23 games to managers that have played 50+ in a discussion about the ability of a manager?

Could you imagine if people stopped comparing a win ratio of a manager after playing 23 games to managers that have played 50+ in a discussion about the ability of a manager?

I thought I would start with the one game stuff and move gradually up from there.

By the time Bentaleb is managing the team we might have worked our way up to a sample size that's half way decent as the acceptable standard.

Poch's system reminds me very much of how Seville used to play under Ramos. Perhaps not so much the formation (although they are similar) but more the way of pressing and risk taking.

Could you imagine if people stopped comparing the performance of a manager with one season mid table experience against those who have won FA Cup trophies, Champions League trophies and Spanish league trophies.

Back