• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
BRENDAN RODGERS spoke in faultless Spanish for the first five minutes. No wonder Swansea play like Barcelona.

In his most in-depth interview since the nation fell in love with the swashbuckling Swans, Rodgers told SunSport how he:

Spent years flying to Barcelona to study their approach from the academy to the first team.

Described how he trains the newly-promoted minnows to play like the Catalan giants.

Why he has a completely different approach to Jose Mourinho, despite working under him for three years.

Rodgers' men face Emirates Marketing Project today and even the Premier League leaders' boss Roberto Mancini admits 'Swansea play the best football in England.'

But, first of all, how did Rodgers learn Spanish?

He said: "Seven years, three lessons a week. I was told a number of years back that if I spoke another language it would give me a great opportunity at the very highest level.

"I believe the quality of your life is the quality of your communication.

"Barcelona has been my inspiration. I never run away from that. I spent many years travelling there learning about the model of Louis van Gaal and Johan Cruyff.

"When I quit playing I wanted to understand that way and structure, the relationship between the youth teams and the first team.

"Obviously the leading lights were the Spanish and the Dutch.

"The perfect day would be to fly in on a Saturday night and watch all the youth teams on a Sunday right through to the first team.

"You are talking the late 1990s and early years of the last decade.

"I would go to Sevilla and Valencia as well.

"I didn't go to Madrid. I tried to go to clubs that really brought young players through. In Holland I went to Ajax and Twente."

Rodgers, 39, speaks fondly of his time with Mourinho at Chelsea — where he was youth team coach — but admits his approach is very different to the Special One.

The Swans chief added: "With Mourinho, my football education was the equivalent of going to Harvard.

"But my philosophy on the pitch is completely different to his, yes.

"Absolutely. People don't see how there can be a difference. But the key is before I went there my philosophy was already formed.

"I had 10?¢ years of development as a coach. My principles were already in place. Going from Head of the Academy at Reading to Chelsea meant I was able to explore these ideas with top talents."

Swansea climbed to the top flight in Rodgers' first season and look set to survive comfortably.

He continued: "After two weeks here I felt we would have a great chance because of the honesty of the players.

"They were sponges for information and wanted to work. They just soaked up what I was telling them."

So how does he get them to play like that?

Rodgers added: "People categorise it to technical, tactical, physical and mental. Every day in terms of the work, everything we do is with the ball."

Spontaneously he repeats himself in Spanish: "Todo lo que hacemos es con el balon."

The very same words the head of Barca's famous La Masia academy Carles Folguera used when I interviewed him about the Catalans' training methods last year.

So, like Barcelona?

Rodgers said: "Exactamente. That is the ideology. I like players to think.

"I like their brains to be sore after every session. I want them to keep thinking. To play this way you need players with incredible intelligence.

"Keeper has the ball and smashes it up the pitch, doesn't have to think. But the quickness of the brains in our team is so important.

"People ask me 'Why don't you run through the trees and the woods and get them strong'. I say 'I never see a tree on the football field'.

"Mourinho told me 'A pianist doesn't run around the piano. He sits down and improves his touch and practices until he picks the right tune'.

"We are the same. We don't run around the field, we play inside the field."

So if midfield metronome Leon Britton is Rodgers' Xavi, who is his Andres Iniesta?

"Joe Allen is my Iniesta."

And his Messi?

"There's only one Messi."

So what will be the last thing Rodgers will tell his troops before they run out this afternoon?

He concluded: "Have no fear. We need to go out there knowing we are representing a city and a wonderful white shirt.

"The players have done it proud in the time I've been here. So continue with the journey. See where it takes us."

i don't think Curbishley and Hodgson are comparable to some of the younger managers in the game at the moment.

I was comparing them to Moyes, more than Rodgers or Lambert.

Both are excellent at getting average teams very organised and punching above their weight. But neither are equipped for big clubs or big players. Francis was the same, so is O'Neil. Moyes will be too IMO.

Both are excellent at getting average teams very organised and punching above their weight. But neither are equipped for big clubs or big players. Francis was the same, so is O'Neil. Moyes will be too IMO.

Only one way to find out if they can cut it at the top and that is to give them a chance.

id agree with that sentiment then.

id like to see how Moyes would get on at a club with better finances than Everton, but i do agree with the arguments Nayim(?) has made about him. think he would have been wise to move on from Everton a while back, not too long after the 4th place season he had - think he's become too accustomed to his role there and will struggle elsewhere, would be a mistake for us IMO to go for him

he has it easy at Everton in a way - little is expected of him there and doesn't really have to push himself

GB, Would you say upon reflection that Redknapp's stint in charge of Spurs has been successful?
Would you agree that he is perhaps one of the best managers we have had?

Would love to know your honest answer. (And unlike other poster's am not for a reason to have a dig at you at all)

BRENDAN RODGERS spoke in faultless Spanish for the first five minutes. No wonder Swansea play like Barcelona.

In his most in-depth interview since the nation fell in love with the swashbuckling Swans, Rodgers told SunSport how he:

Spent years flying to Barcelona to study their approach from the academy to the first team.

Described how he trains the newly-promoted minnows to play like the Catalan giants.

Why he has a completely different approach to Jose Mourinho, despite working under him for three years.

Rodgers' men face Emirates Marketing Project today and even the Premier League leaders' boss Roberto Mancini admits 'Swansea play the best football in England.'

He said: "Seven years, three lessons a week. I was told a number of years back that if I spoke another language it would give me a great opportunity at the very highest level.

"Barcelona has been my inspiration. I never run away from that. I spent many years travelling there learning about the model of Louis van Gaal and Johan Cruyff.

"When I quit playing I wanted to understand that way and structure, the relationship between the youth teams and the first team.

"The perfect day would be to fly in on a Saturday night and watch all the youth teams on a Sunday right through to the first team.

"I didn't go to Madrid. I tried to go to clubs that really brought young players through. In Holland I went to Ajax and Twente."

Rodgers, 39, speaks fondly of his time with Mourinho at Chelsea ÔÇö where he was youth team coach ÔÇö but admits his approach is very different to the Special One.

The Swans chief added: "With Mourinho, my football education was the equivalent of going to Harvard.

"Absolutely. People don't see how there can be a difference. But the key is before I went there my philosophy was already formed.

"I had 10?¢ years of development as a coach. My principles were already in place. Going from Head of the Academy at Reading to Chelsea meant I was able to explore these ideas with top talents."

Swansea climbed to the top flight in Rodgers' first season and look set to survive comfortably.

He continued: "After two weeks here I felt we would have a great chance because of the honesty of the players.

"They were sponges for information and wanted to work. They just soaked up what I was telling them."

Rodgers added: "People categorise it to technical, tactical, physical and mental. Every day in terms of the work, everything we do is with the ball."

Spontaneously he repeats himself in Spanish: "Todo lo que hacemos es con el balon."

The very same words the head of Barca's famous La Masia academy Carles Folguera used when I interviewed him about the Catalans' training methods last year.

So, like Barcelona?

"I like their brains to be sore after every session. I want them to keep thinking. To play this way you need players with incredible intelligence.

"Keeper has the ball and smashes it up the pitch, doesn't have to think. But the quickness of the brains in our team is so important.

"People ask me 'Why don't you run through the trees and the woods and get them strong'. I say 'I never see a tree on the football field'.

"Mourinho told me 'A pianist doesn't run around the piano. He sits down and improves his touch and practices until he picks the right tune'.

So if midfield metronome Leon Britton is Rodgers' Xavi, who is his Andres Iniesta?

And his Messi?

So what will be the last thing Rodgers will tell his troops before they run out this afternoon?

He concluded: "Have no fear. We need to go out there knowing we are representing a city and a wonderful white shirt.

"The players have done it proud in the time I've been here. So continue with the journey. See where it takes us."

Fascinating reading. I like the sound of the man. We may be the perfect club for him to propel his career on to bigger and better things (no disrespect to Swansea)

Rodgers, 39, speaks fondly of his time with Mourinho at Chelsea ÔÇö where he was youth team coach ÔÇö but admits his approach is very different to the Special One.

So, like Barcelona?

And his Messi?

Very good read and on the surface it sounds like Rodgers is the perfect coach to take up the mantle when Harry moves on.

My one worry with coaches of the 'up and coming' variety is how seasoned international players will respond. AVB is a perfect case where the senior pros did not respect him and look what happened there.

He wouldn't be the worst choice but I can see Levy going for someone with a higher profile.

Only one way to find out if they can cut it at the top and that is to give them a chance.

Or let them try their luck at a UEFA cup side and see how they do there. We're well above the place where we need to take a chance on unproven managers. We need one of the best managers in the world.

GB, Would you say upon reflection that Redknapp's stint in charge of Spurs has been successful?
Would you agree that he is perhaps one of the best managers we have had?

Would love to know your honest answer. (And unlike other poster's am not for a reason to have a dig at you at all)

Successful yes.

One of the best we've ever had - nope. He's not won anything and his highest league finish is still lower than Venables and Pleat achieved.

Best of the last 20 years - ok. Good enough to take us on higher - not if the tactical disasters of the last 3 weeks show anything.

I can see those who want a proven world class manager. It will to some degree raise expectations of who we are and what we are about, rather than a good up and coming manager.

It would be a statement of intent.

Gutter

Harry may not have won anything but IF we finish third that is as big an achievement as winning the cup. In these times it is just as big if not bigger. You have money bags Man bricky and Chelscum up there, you have Manure who have also spent a few quid, you have Arse who have been up there for the last 15 or so years.

Id say it would be a big achievement.

I can see those who want a proven world class manager. It will to some degree raise expectations of who we are and what we are about, rather than a good up and coming manager.

It would be a statement of intent.

And help us attract decent players in summer/keep Modric, Bale and vdV

Gutter

Harry may not have won anything but IF we finish third that is as big an achievement as winning the cup. In these times it is just as big if not bigger. You have money bags Man bricky and Chelscum up there, you have Manure who have also spent a few quid, you have Arse who have been up there for the last 15 or so years.

Id say it would be a big achievement.

I still can't see it being a bigger achievement than Pleat in 86/87 and Venables in 89/90. There were bigger boys with more money than us then too.

The record books won't record a 3rd place like they would an FA cup. That with Pompey is still the greatest achievement of his career. I think it would mean more to our fans than a 3rd place too (though I can also see at this stage that Stoke is a bigger game than Bolton).

Why? Genuine question, not trying to be difficult.

Why would Moyes have us playing better than Everton? And why is the budget even relevant?

Given that in recent times disciplinarian managers like Santini and Ramos failed totally is it even a reasonable assumption Moyes would succeed in any capacity? Let alone "toughening us up"

I dont blame you, he is hardly a bastion of class and integrity is he?

I believe Mourinho is Mourinho, same as he ever was - he certainly wouldnt change just for joining Spurs. The thing is, with him you take the bad with the good - because the "good" translates to "best"

I get why people want him to be our manager, he would be the best choice even if I don't always agree with his methods. Some of the things he does/gets his team to do are unsauvoury at best. I accept that Madrid play fanatastic football at their best and much better than Moyes does with Everton, but at their worst, they play a much worse brand of football, a style of football that's petty, ugly and cynical!

With regards to Moyes, from what I saw of his Preston side, they played good football so it's not like he's always played rubbish football like Sam Allardyce for example. I think he would get directives from Levy that not only do you have to win, you have to win with style. Moyes is bound to know about the history of our club and the style of football that our fans like to see. Of course, I could be wrong, he could play the same football that Everton have done during the last 10 years. The players at Everton all seem to like him too.

And help us attract decent players in summer/keep Modric, Bale and vdV

I still can't see it being a bigger achievement than Pleat in 86/87 and Venables in 89/90. There were bigger boys with more money than us then too.

The record books won't record a 3rd place like they would an FA cup. That with Pompey is still the greatest achievement of his career. I think it would mean more to our fans than a 3rd place too (though I can also see at this stage that Stoke is a bigger game than Bolton).

Winning a trophy that the club hasn't won for more than 20 years would be a big achivement. At worst, he's the 2nd best manager we've had after Venables in the last 20 years.

if we want to keep hold of our big players then i think we will do so regardless of who our next manager is (within reason) - it's Levy who holds the cards in this instance. although i admit that a 'big name' manager will make it an easier job.

same goes for signing players - players are attracted to the Club and more importantly the wages over the stature of the manager IMO.

if we want to keep hold of our big players then i think we will do so regardless of who our next manager is (within reason) - it's Levy who holds the cards in this instance. although i admit that a 'big name' manager will make it an easier job.

same goes for signing players - players are attracted to the Club and more importantly the wages over the stature of the manager IMO.

I would prefer we kept bale and modric but im not against selling them both if we got 50m for each and put half towards the stadium and half towards team building with a good young manager who can take us forward.

Back