• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Next Spurs manager mega-thread

who would it be?

• Jose Mourinho

Votes: 110 48.0%
  • Guus Hiddink

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • Louis Van Gaal

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • David Moyes

Votes: 20 8.7%
  • Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Alan Pardew

• Tim Owl Face Sherwood

• Fabio Capello

• Seb Bassong

• Sandra Redknapp

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
I never went along to see the reserves play or anything like that, I just saw the results, but that sounds extremely harsh considering he won the reserve league South 2 seasons on the trot didn't he? (or it was something like that, I know he had a very good record anyway)

Reserve team football is almost a complete waste of time. Even most teams with large squads now still don't play their squad players in it and fill their teams with kids (most of whom go on to have semi-pro careers below Conf South level).

Thing is with backroom staff is that no one outside of the club knows how good they are. Chris Hughton was regarded somewhat as a joke on this forum when he was at the club, and yet he has gone on to prove himself to be a pretty decent Manager. Colin Calderwood was another example. I remember him being slated as being awful when he was managing our reserves and yet he too has gone on to have an OK managerial career in lower league football.

Clive Allen did win the reserves league with us, but it's not really an indication of how good he is either way. I'm sorry to see him go though because he is Spurs through and through. The incoming set up is likely to bring in their own backroom staff and (assuming Les Ferdinand is going too) its going to be strange to see that we have no Spurs men at all on our coaching roster anymore.

Clive Allen did win the reserves league with us, but it's not really an indication of how good he is either way. I'm sorry to see him go though because he is Spurs through and through. The incoming set up is likely to bring in their own backroom staff and (assuming Les Ferdinand is going too) its going to be strange to see that we have no Spurs men at all on our coaching roster anymore.

very odd and not the right way the club should be heading

I find it really difficult to understand why anyone would consider AVB, he may have had some success in a poor league, but he failed dramatically in Engalnd. I can not see any evidence at all to suggest he could do a good job for Spurs.

Most important thing, I can remember that suicidal high line he played at Chelsea, the man is a fool.

What I've read about De Boer's style at Ajax is impressive, perhaps he and Vertonghen together? Like Blanc, they are young and very experienced, could be good choices. (I thought Blanc would end up at the goons and Wenger go 'upstairs').

AVB must have learnt something at Chelsea, surely he has something good to offer still?

And Cappello has a fab record at club level (no pun intended), could be a wise choice too.

Would like to see the likes of Perryman bought in at some capacity (assuming his health is okay) - proper Spurs man and a great leader.

Last edited:
hurry up and sign a manager already! we dont have a manager during peak time in transfer business, horrible situation!!!!

I find it really difficult to understand why anyone would consider AVB, he may have had some success in a poor league, but he failed dramatically in Engalnd. I can not see any evidence at all to suggest he could do a good job for Spurs.

Most important thing, I can remember that suicidal high line he played at Chelsea, the man is a fool.
Right on the button.

The belief is that AVB can succeed given the right player types that fit his system, and that Spurs is a good match for him as a manager.
It's down to whether you feel his football philosophy is exciting and potentially very strong.

Aside from two years at Portsmouth spending more money than they could afford, Harry Redknapp's results had never been good enough for Spurs neither.
A manager won't automatically reproduce his past results at a new club/Tottenham. Have to look past it and consider whether said manager has the right qualities and attributes to take the club further and whether he fit the player group and club.

AVB was chanceless at Chelsea, it was the wrong career choice for him with unrealistic demands combined with a player group that didn't fit his style and worked against him. The strongest characters at the club being the players that had to be dropped the most didn't make it easy.
Still, his results weren't that bad, cause overall it's not the manager that has the main impact on results, it's the individual strenghts of the player group.
His win percentage at Chelsea was higher than Roberto di Matteos and not too far behind what Redknapp has at Spurs.

if no manager is appointed by next weekend, who is going to take on the pre season training:|

no manager, no coaches, i guess Inglethorpe will have to handle thje kids as well as the seniors

I'd go for Capello

experience as a player playing at the top
experience as a manager, managing at the top

disciplined and successful.

not too sure that we would see the free flowing football that Voldemort had us playing but the controversy factor would be manageable. He will stand his ground though - as he has proved, so that might not sit well with Levy.

Nothig against you KD, but Moyes would be a brick appoinment, for all the Moyes fans, I borrowed this stat from another forum, what do you say to this

P 47 W 0 D 16 L 31 That is David Moyes record for Everton in away games against Liverpool, Man U, Scum and Chelsea

interesting

on the flip side, before we beat chelsea with that sweet lennon strike . what was our record away from home against those same teams?

cause if i remember correctly we hadnt beaten arsenal for quite some time, chelsea too, and i cant remember the last time we won at old trafford.....and not sure about liverpool

plus we are looking at this from the fact that moyes has been there long enough to rack up a record of that number of games against those teams

considering that his teams are SIGNIFICANTLY weaker than the rest of them i would say that a 2 to 1 ratio of draws to losses is.................................actually its bad that he hasnt won a single game. but [highlight]iwould still like to know how we would have fared in comparison[/highlight]

Our record in the last 47 away against those teams: W 2 D 14 L 31. Not much better.

It might be better than Harry's but i know its not better than RDM's. I checked it myself the other day on WIKI :)

Had his Premier League results in mind, where RdM delivered 5 wins 3 draws and 3 loss
Anyway, league win percentage isn't much different between RdM and AVB (or Redknapp at Spurs).
Most important for me is that AVB didn't deliver much worse results with a Chelsea squad that worked against him, than Redknapp did with Spurs.
I'm not going to try to claim AVB did well at Chelsea, cause he clearly did not, just pointing out that his failure has its reasons and that they weren't as bad as you'd think by how he's talked about these days.

QUOTE]

as people posted elsewhere, his league record at cheatski was better than Mancini's in the equivalent period at Man C and better than Di matteos

QUOTE]

as people posted elsewhere, his league record at cheatski was better than Mancini's in the equivalent period at Man C and better than Di matteos

yes but AVB took over a side that the season before was challenging for the title, and he managed to have them barely challenging for 4th...he inherited a better team than Mancini inherited at Emirates Marketing Project, plus had the chance of having a full pre season to get his ideas across which mancini never had

Di Matteo decided the FA cup and the Champions league were a bigger priority as the season got closer and closer to the end, so league results suffered. Lucky for him that they won both trophies.

AVB is clear odds on favourite with all the bookies, ranging from 1/4 to 1/11

Back